Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammunition costs

Options
  • 06-02-2021 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Was watching a few American YouTubers recently reviewing guns like 22 plinkster etc
    And they all were talking about ammunition shortages and high prices there , I just had a look through some ammo websites in the US and the prices are ridiculous $175 for 500 rounds of thunderbolt .22 or
    Hornady frontier .223 from $12 a box to $30+
    https://ammo.com/rimfire/22-lr-ammo
    And it's not in stock anywhere for a normal price only these extortionate rates
    How long before these crazy prices start to effect us here ? I'm sure there's been a huge buying surge of ammo from Europe etc too to fill the gap in the states

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭clivej

Huge demand for factory ammo in the States with the Covid 19 crisis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Seen an article the other day with two major manufacturers of ammunition saying they are between 4 to 6 months behind on orders and finding it hard to keep up with demand.

Also shops are now limiting people's ability to purchase bulk buys. IOW they'll limit you to, and i've seen this posted online, one box of certain types of ammo.

Only a matter of time before it trickles down our way, but its times like this i'm glad i buy a little every now and then. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

7 million new shooters in America in one year. If each one buys 2 boxes of ammo, thats 700 million rounds. There is more ammo being manufactured in America, than there was in WW2 !

I was reading somewhere the other day that its the primers holding up faster production, brass, powder and the bullets are easy enough to make, but primers are a bit more difficult and this is what is holding things up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Davauer

The Trump effect had people buying up ammunition thinking the world was ending
    Even non trump supporters doing the same some people have bought 200.000 bullets which they will never use. The election is over so people will not buy as much you can buy cheap bullets from russia Bulgaria, Poland

Davauer wrote: »
    Even non trump supporters doing the same some people have bought 200.000 bullets which they will never use. The election is over so people will not buy as much you can buy cheap bullets from russia Bulgaria, Poland

Nothing to do with Trump, he is gone. But biden is threatening to ban everything with a barrel, apart from double barreled shotguns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The election is over so people will not buy as much you can buy cheap bullets from Russia Bulgaria, Poland

Not in the US you cant... Its a sanctioned import from Russia and China.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm fairly sure Russian ammo like Tula & Wolf is still imported in huge quantities to the USA and used widely there. Chinese ammo is banned though- which has the effect of making it super-cheap in Canada.

Are you thinking of import bans on Russian and Chinese firearms?

One of the first executive orders I would expect from Biden on firearms is on Russian ammo, but no sign yet - it would tie in well both with his firearms policies and the tougher Russia policy.

As said above:
    tudderone wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Trump, he is gone. But biden is threatening to ban everything with a barrel, apart from double barreled shotguns.
    Other than ban he is also trying to impose a tax on certain guns, magazines, with the ban of online sales of ammo and other products.

The same thing happened when obama got into office in 2008. Gun sales spiked based on his rhetoric but he never got anything done so it was a big nothing burger.

Don't want this thread to turn into a political thread, but this will die down too, in time. Even democrats, some of them, won't support all the proposals.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Its one of the few times its good to own a rifle chambered in a European round. 6.5x55, 7mm mauser, 8mm mauser etc and shoot S&B or Geco ammo. It might be a bit more expensive, but at least you can get it.

Its one of the few times its good to own a rifle chambered in a European round. 6.5x55, 7mm mauser, 8mm mauser etc and shoot S&B or Geco ammo. It might be a bit more expensive, but at least you can get it.

........... have a load of ammo already bought.

I basically have the full of my licenses in most calibers. With no shooting and buying up till, and through some of, the lockdowns i'm set.

I'll wait till things get bad then trade a box of 22lr for a house or something. :D

• Advertisement

The silliness hasn't hit here so far. I remember the Obama scare and .22 lr went scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

The silliness hasn't hit here so far. I remember the Obama scare and .22 lr went scarce.

Just before Xmas though cci subs were near impossible to get, ended up using eley subs and were dirt in the cz, every 2nd or 3rd round didn't extract properly.

Switched to rws subs and sk match. Far better. But I now have have my license worth of cci subs locked away for when we get back to it.

civdef wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Russian ammo like Tula & Wolf is still imported in huge quantities to the USA and used widely there. Chinese ammo is banned though- which has the effect of making it super-cheap in Canada.

As per wiki
    Wolf is a US registerd company,so it goes around the Russian ban,despite being made in Russia

WOLF Performance Ammunition is a registered trademark owned by SSI Manufacturing Technologies, a corporation in the United States. The ammunition is mostly manufactured by Tulskiy Patronniy Zavod (Tula Cartridge Plant) in Tula, Tula District, Russia. Some .22-caliber rimfire ammunition is made by SK Jagd und Sportmunitions Gmbh (SK Hunting- and Sporting-Ammunition) of Schönebeck, Salzlandkreis, Saxony-Anhalt,

Tula ammo and firearms are a Russian state company like Norinco in China and have been shutdown by Trump from dealing in the US because...politics.

Russsia ban

https://www.truthandaction.org/feds-ban-imported-ammunition-russia/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/08/official-atf-bans-russian-7n6-5-45x39-imports/

China ban
    Annoyed about this one ,as I had a Chinese Norinco MAK 90 still in the US ,and these have now tripled in value..
    https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/why-you-cant-buy-chinese-guns-and-ammo/

Are you thinking of import bans on Russian and Chinese firearms?

Both as above have been import banned for over a decade now..
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/20140717/obama-administration-bans-import-of-popular-russian-firearms
    Thanks for nothing Obama,Klintoon and Bush Senior
    One of the first executive orders I would expect from Biden on firearms is on Russian ammo, but no sign yet - it would tie in well both with his firearms policies and the tougher Russia policy

Not much he can do there as it is long done.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Cass wrote: »
    As said above:

The same thing happened when obama got into office in 2008. Gun sales spiked based on his rhetoric but he never got anything done so it was a big nothing burger.
    That's because the Senate wasn't split 50/50 and they wouldn't entertain O'Bamas executive action threat. Remember the "i have my pen and cell phone to change things!" statement?

Now, however, the dynamics are totally different there is a total imbalance in the system , that was designed to have at least a 1/3rd dissent in either the house, senate or presidency. but now the presidency, the house are in Dem hands and the Senate is split 50/50 with an extreme Leftist VP with a casting vote, who is only too willing to use it as we saw last week. So with some pro-gun Democrats coming under intense pressure from their colleagues, it is far from a "nothing burger" this time around.

However, there is just too much stuff thrown into this bill,that it would tie up the Supreme court for the entire 4 years of Sleepy's presidency.Not just on gun rights but on a whole slew of other rights too.
    This reminds me of what we had to deal with in 2016.Throw everything in the pot,throw it out and see what turds stick to the sheet and go from there.

As said above not dragging this thread into a political debate so i'm refraining from prolonging that part of the thread. I only mentioned it, briefly, to explain why ammo is short and pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

It has hit here. Prices haven't rocketed as yet, but availability is becoming a problem. Ask your local dealer. The absence of any serious volume of shooting, of any type, nationally, has probably kept the effects limited. If we all go back shooting in the next few months, we,ll find limited stocks and range of ammo on the shelf. Throw in messed up supply lines via the UK and what then.
    At the very least, I wouldn't expect to be seeing too many special offers.

Advertisement