Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭VG31

AndyOHart wrote: »
    Jesus christ how much should I be paying for a graphics card that cost 1k?
    I bought it in Germany but was routed through the UK and had UPS pick it up in the UK so now I will have to pay the invoice and not the seller in Germany.

21% VAT - €210
    UPS fee - €15(?)
    Total: ~€225

As far as I know there's no duty on computer parts but I'm not certain.

Could you not have had it shipped directly here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

VG31 wrote: »
    21% VAT - €210
    UPS fee - €15(?)

You need to go back through the Ops previous posts on this thread.

whiterebel wrote: »
    You need to go back through the Ops previous posts on this thread.

Yeah I see why now. TBH arranging a courier to pick it up from the UK was a crazy route to go down. It should have been up to the seller to rectify it in the first place. Filing a chargeback request or PayPal dispute would be the next step if they didn't refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

21% VAT - €210
    UPS fee - €15(?)

Thanks for the info.
    Yep I know its an absolute mess and I made it more difficult for myself, but the seller nor DHL were getting back to me. Seller in Germany was even hanging up the phones at one stage because I rang so much. Every time I did get through it was always 'wait for email next week'.
    Unfortunately I paid through bank and not through PayPay.

225 will be hard to part with but ultimately if I can get the item and put this absolute nightmare of a situation behind me I'll be delighted. Can try sort compensation or something after.
    My story to the bank for charge back would be that the seller was not getting back to me in emails and was hanging up the phone too so I believed my item to be missing until it was located by the people DHL wrongly delivered to and upon telling the German company they still did nothing.
    Fingers crossed it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DukeAwesome

Once a parcel reaches Finglas, how long does it take for it to go out for delivery does anyone know? Same day? Next working day?

• Advertisement

Got a new email last night saying that package should be delivered today, was very happy.
    Tracking says there was an Export scan, Departed Stansted, and now is in Koeln Germany... Seems weird for it to go to Germany from the UK and then be shipped to Ireland. Will I still have to pay customs for that? I really doubt its arriving today

Once a parcel reaches Finglas, how long does it take for it to go out for delivery does anyone know? Same day? Next working day?

Next day usually. For some reason in my area packages delivered by UPS drivers are not usually scanned as out for delivery. For stuff delivered by drivers who would have been with Nightline before they merged, there's always an out for delivery scan in the morning (appears as "destination scan").
    Got a new email last night saying that package should be delivered today, was very happy.
    Tracking says there was an Export scan, Departed Stansted, and now is in Koeln Germany... Seems weird for it to go to Germany from the UK and then be shipped to Ireland. Will I still have to pay customs for that? I really doubt its arriving today

All express shipments are routed through the hub in Koeln, even from the UK. If it was being delivered today it should have arrived in Dublin early this morning, the flight from Koeln departs at 04:00.

The country of origin is what matters for customs, so yes.

Bummer. Does the country of origin only matter for where UPS collected it from? If my package came from Germany via DHL and was shipped to the UK, and then UPS collect its there to bring it to Ireland, could I somehow claim back for that I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

hi
    does anyone know
    if I get a parcel sent through UPS expedited from america
    does it come straight to ireland or does it go through the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

I would imagine straight to Ireland. I'll let you know in a few days as I've something coming by that exact service from the USA (hasn't been dispatched yet).

• Advertisement

Darwin wrote: »
    I would imagine straight to Ireland. I'll let you know in a few days as I've something coming by that exact service from the USA (hasn't been dispatched yet).

There's no UPS flights from Dublin/Shannon to the US. All air freight goes through Koeln from Ireland. So I presume it will be on the CGN to DUB flight.

cool

hi
    does anyone know
    if I get a parcel sent through UPS expedited from america
    does it come straight to ireland or does it go through the UK?

Goes through Cologne Germany

Goes through Cologne Germany

cool,

Does anyone know here,
    Do How do UPS value items for Vat and customs?
    Like do they open up your stuff and research it online to try and
    find a value or do they go off the declared value on the outside ?
    also does the customs valuation happen here in ireland or germany?

cool,

Does anyone know here,
    Do How do UPS value items for Vat and customs?
    Like do they open up your stuff and research it online to try and
    find a value or do they go off the declared value on the outside ?
    also does the customs valuation happen here in ireland or germany?

The shipper has to attach a customs invoice to the shipment (not necessarily on the box can be uploaded online).

This is what is used for the valuation in Ireland but customs can and do spot checks and open up anything they think might have an incorrect valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I was also sent an expedited UPS through cologne.

Current status:
    q2zNJj1.jpg
    In transit since Thursday morning :(
    I rang them yesterday and they said it is in the van on the way and will def be delivered that day. Nope!

Dunno if I should start worrying about it being lost yet!

If you pay the driver for any import related charges do you get a receipt or is handing over of the package proof you paid? Expecting my delivery next Wed (coming from US via Cologne)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

If you pay the driver for any import related charges do you get a receipt or is handing over of the package proof you paid? Expecting my delivery next Wed (coming from US via Cologne)

They'll leave a copy of the invoice that outlines the charges with you.

So if my package was picked up in UK, but is now in Koeln, Germany, will I have to pay the customs? I would of thought I wouldn't since it is being sent from Germany now?
    Also how does it work with the driver? I live in an apartment block with a door code but theres no way to leave information as to how to access the building, will he call me?

Also, can anybody else who got stuff sent from UK recently confirm if there really is a backlog? I have been waiting since early January for my package and UPS said theres a large backlog because of Brexit, but apparently others have had no issues getting items here in 3 days.

The shipper has to attach a customs invoice to the shipment (not necessarily on the box can be uploaded online).

This is what is used for the valuation in Ireland but customs can and do spot checks and open up anything they think might have an incorrect valuation.

say they do open it,
    do they go to a big effort to try and research the value of the item?

• Advertisement

Like snowblind above, not too impressed with their "expedited" service. Delivery originally scheduled for Monday, then pushed out to Wednesday. It arrived into Dublin very early Tuesday morning and cleared customs immediately. Still no sign of it despite marked out for delivery at 12.36am this morning.
    Funny thing is the last three non-expedited packages have arrived to me on time and always before 11am - I wonder is it a different courier arm within UPS handling those?

Like snowblind above, not too impressed with their "expedited" service. Delivery originally scheduled for Monday, then pushed out to Wednesday. It arrived into Dublin very early Tuesday morning and cleared customs immediately. Still no sign of it despite marked out for delivery at 12.36am this morning.
    Funny thing is the last three non-expedited packages have arrived to me on time and always before 11am - I wonder is it a different courier arm within UPS handling those?

There's essentially two different divisions within UPS here since they took over Nightline. Where I live (Dublin) deliveries are by both drivers in UPS vans (usually the same driver) and Nightline drivers who are either in taxis or white vans.

The usual UPS driver always delivers around 9.30 am but the Nightline drivers come at any time. One delivered at 9 pm a few months ago.

It used to be all the Nightline contracts were handled by the Nightline drivers (Next, Lifestyle Sports for example) but lately I've had UPS Standard EU deliveries by taxi drivers. Despite the inconsistency everything has always been delivered on-time so far.

I don't know about UPS Expedited but that's probably actual UPS drivers. I doubt the taxi drivers would be collecting customs charges, although I could be wrong. For some reason there usually isn't any out for delivery scans in my area when it's delivered by a UPS driver.

That sounds about right, our UPS standard deliveries were all in unmarked vans. At 5pm I got a delivery attempted notification, but nobody came to the door and nobody rang my number. I guess they are run off their feet, not looking too good for tomorrow either if the forecast snow materialises.

They are saying I need to file a lost package claim now �� This entire situation has gotten worse and worse that its actually funny at this stage. Not sure how packages could get lost really, just hope they find it.

Sounds like a nightmare, you will be protected by your credit card company if all else fails. Mine finally turned up yesterday, worked out as I expected (21% VAT + €20'ish admin fee). The driver was shocked that I didn't grumble about the import charges and had the money ready!

Sounds like a nightmare, you will be protected by your credit card company if all else fails. Mine finally turned up yesterday, worked out as I expected (21% VAT + €20'ish admin fee). The driver was shocked that I didn't grumble about the import charges and had the money ready!

Good stuff did yours have to be claimed at all?
    Or they just delivered it? Jesus 21% VAT will be like 200+ for me, wonder will I have to pay it if its coming from Germany after being shipped from UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Funny This thread pops up. I’m expecting a delivery today. Next day express delivery. UPS are claiming it will be delivered today yet it’s 20:13 right now. They work until 9pm apparently, but I’m not optimistic that a parcel that left Limerick 11 hours ago will be delivered here in Thurles at 20:13-21:00 so the c^*ts have deferred premium delivery I paid for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Funny This thread pops up. I’m expecting a delivery today. Next day express delivery. UPS are claiming it will be delivered today yet it’s 20:13 right now. They work until 9pm apparently, but I’m not optimistic that a parcel that left Limerick 11 hours ago will be delivered here in Thurles at 20:13-21:00 so the c^*ts have deferred premium delivery I paid for

What does the tracking page say? Express will generally be done earlier in the day. There's certain cut off times for them to be done by depending on the area.

Good stuff did yours have to be claimed at all?
    Or they just delivered it? Jesus 21% VAT will be like 200+ for me, wonder will I have to pay it if its coming from Germany after being shipped from UK

Driver just knocked at the door and told me what was owing and I paid him. Mine was €197 so I handed him €200 and told him to buy a coffee on the way home lol. If I understand you correctly, you bought it from a German seller, who had it shipped from the UK? I would imagine in that case you will be liable for import charges.

• Advertisement

Still says it’s out for delivery. More than likely it’s in a van parked up until Monday. The last time this happened, it was a bank holiday weekend and the parcel wasn’t delivered until the following Wednesday.

Yep, it ain't coming at this stage. Mine got a delivery attempt scan at 5pm as clearly they weren't in a position to deliver it, but I did get it next working day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

DHL and Ups use German airports as European hubs.

Massive snowstorms have caused havoc in Germany and closed most airports.

I was expecting some items from China via DHL and got email saying to expect up to 3 days delay due to weather conditions.

I would assume ups is similar.

Ups are still insisting it’s out for delivery. At 21:22pm :/ I’d be very impressed if it is delivered within the next hour, but it’s no doubt a delay tactic so they can close customer care and deliver next week.

It’s now saying it’s in Transit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I have a package left Stanford-Le-Hope January 22nd and no update since? Contacted the vendor and they said it's Brexit trouble. :eek:

Haha oh brother, I rang UPS before making my label, and the rep told me I can use express saver and don't need an invoice as the backlog is too much for customs to handle so UPS will ship it directly to Ireland from the UK.
    I was delighted and made the label, no invoice, and paid for express delivery to get it the next day. That was in early January. My package is currently lost in Germany now apparently and waiting for them to find it.
    All the best with yours
    Driver just knocked at the door and told me what was owing and I paid him. Mine was €197 so I handed him €200 and told him to buy a coffee on the way home lol. If I understand you correctly, you bought it from a German seller, who had it shipped from the UK? I would imagine in that case you will be liable for import charges.

Yeah but the German seller doesn't matter anymore as they originally shipped to the UK accidently with DHL and wouldn't help me locate so I got UPS to collect. UPS said was in Stansted but the last scan was in Koeln, Germany, so not sure if I would owe money or not if its coming from Germany now?
    DHL and Ups use German airports as European hubs.

Massive snowstorms have caused havoc in Germany and closed most airports.

I was expecting some items from China via DHL and got email saying to expect up to 3 days delay due to weather conditions.

I would assume ups is similar.

I hope this is the reason my package didn't have a scan in over 3 days. Right now UPS are investigating my claim as lost, I really hope it isn't as I really want the item and if they loose it, I probably wont be able to buy a new one for ages as its sold out everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Interesting one for you guys.....

Mid January I got some headlights in from the UK, where I got hit with €35.91, no issue at all there.
    It was to be cash on delivery to the driver and there was a good looking import tax label etc on the box.

Just this evening I've received a letter from UPS saying that this money is overdue for 20 days and needs to be paid immediately, anyone seen this?

I've texts etc from the driver and stuff but very little else on this, will be ringing in the morning to see what the plan of action is!

YbFocus wrote: »

Mid January I got some headlights in from the UK, where I got hit with €35.91, no issue at all there.
    It was to be cash on delivery to the driver and there was a good looking import tax label etc on the box.

Just this evening I've received a letter from UPS saying that this money is overdue for 20 days and needs to be paid immediately, anyone seen this?

I've texts etc from the driver and stuff but very little else on this, will be ringing in the morning to see what the plan of action is!

When you ring UPS the first thing the auto answer machine says is they are investigating reports of fraudulent messages about unpaid claims, so be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Email them. It's the only way. Send screen shots of texts.

Driver is meant to put cash in an envelope with details. Sometimes they get a figure wrong.

Be adamant that they must talk directly to the driver and review the drivers report from that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Thanks guys,

@Andy yep I just heard that one, got cut off after 11 mins for some reason.
    I don't have a text or a phone call as a scam it's a headed letter saying the delivery hadn't had it's import fees paid.

I'll try the email route as the phone doesn't seem to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Can anyone contact UPS?

I received a call today for a delivery that required charges, that I expected but it was 20-30% more than I expected (14 instead of 10 euro, tiny amount) so I asked the driver could he explain the charges/did he have a breakdown. He couldn't and said I'd have to pay cash at the door. I thought I'd pay by card as I don't have cash and handing cash over at the door seemed dodgy he said I could try call but they are difficult to get to answer. It all seemed dodgy so I said I'd call the office.

UPS are totally un-contactable and drop the line after 15 mins or so. The delivery drivers phone won't answer either. The package was marked as attempted delivery but no one was at the door. Should I drive down to the Finglas depot and try to pay/collect there? I'm not sure the driver took the package, it sounded like he was calling me from his house...

• Advertisement

FWIW the original seller https://www.digikey.ie/ said they cover all customs and duty charges and shipping was free for the order so I only expected to pay tax on a 50 euro order. I figured I could pay online before hand or something, this setup feels like the stone age.

Thanks guys,

@Andy yep I just heard that one, got cut off after 11 mins for some reason.
    I don't have a text or a phone call as a scam it's a headed letter saying the delivery hadn't had it's import fees paid.

I'll try the email route as the phone doesn't seem to work!

This is very interesting as I just got a letter today saying I owe money too 😂
    It said I owed 264 euro and it was 19 days overdue!
    I rang them and the lady said I wont have to pay it since the package is missing, and once my investigation is complete I will get an email saying i don't need to pay it.
    That doesn't sound right? I can't imagine UPS paying the import fees and such for Brexit. Any ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Well I bought prescription veterinary meds from a uk company, fully compliant with the new brexit vat/customs rules. Paid Irish VAT on order. UPS attempted to deliver today but were trying to charge me extra VAT of 34.38e and the UPS handling fee of 18.50e. I would not mind so much paying the extra vat and then trying to sort it with the company, but not paying the handling charge when the VAT was already paid. Also, the driver only takes cash but will not give a receipt. So you can ring and pay by phone and "apparently" they will then email you a receipt. That would be possible if they answered the phone. Unfortunately I need the meds urgently. The original order cost £538 including irish vat and shipping. So I cannot see how they could get a VAT charge of 34.38e from that. And I rang UPS and they said its definitely VAT not duty. When I finally got through to them.

I can't get over the fact they take cash at the door and provide no receipt. It's 2021 not 1987. Good work getting through to them. I had two phones ringing at the same time and couldn't get through to their billing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

Got a delivery today via UPS from the uk, product was €24.95.

ordered yesterday delivered today, no extra VAT or charges...

Gru wrote: »
    Got a delivery today via UPS from the uk, product was €24.95.

ordered yesterday delivered today, no extra VAT or charges...

Where did you buy it from?

Where did you buy it from?

oh sorry. i bought from Apple and it shipped from Syncreon Technology in Hinckley uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

I can't get over the fact they take cash at the door and provide no receipt. It's 2021 not 1987. Good work getting through to them. I had two phones ringing at the same time and couldn't get through to their billing at all.

Not sure if its any good to you but the two numbers I used were 01-4006906 which was the number to ring to pay online. Didn't get through on this one
    Courier also gave me another number for enquiries, this is 01-8581231, and I got a very helpful reply giving me a breakdown of VAT and UPS charges. And were able to tell me that it was definitely not duty.

Gru wrote: »
    oh sorry. i bought from Apple and it shipped from Syncreon Technology in Hinckley uk.

I would imagine that Apple are almost certainly registered for VAT in Ireland so that explains why there were no extra charges.

I would imagine that Apple are almost certainly registered for VAT in Ireland so that explains why there were no extra charges.

fair point but the speed i got it was unexpected too, i was waiting on another item with another courier for over a week also from the uk. Just said i'd post so at least people know some stuff is flying through,

• Advertisement
Advertisement