Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the Ian Wright/Patrick O'Brien situation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I think people probably wouldnt want to jail the kid if he wasnt a traveller.
    Would you jail you own kids for posting language like that on the internet?
    The prisons would be overflowing.

I don't want to jail this person. I just want everyone to accept this level of racism is common and should be completely unacceptable. And to call out this incident as a racist abuse instead of making excuses.

If your child was of mixed race how would you feel if they were the victim of such racist abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭golondrinas

I think Ian Wright deserved jail for that more than this kid did.
    He was old enough to know better.

Wouldn't suit the narrative. Think of all the damage and looting in the vicinity of the jail that would hold him. Racism to a large degree is a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Didn’t Ian Wright mock an Irish accent on air once?

Yeah which was very disappointing. Imagine if an English cricket pundit did that to an Indian cricket pundit. The BBC (or was it ITV) would have commited Hari Kari.

But what has that got to do with anything and the vile racist language used by this 18 yr old? Oh yeah...that's right...sweet fcuk all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I believe the person who posted that is threadbanned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

When did he become a traveller?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You make it sound like this is a normal thing that happens every day of the week, no big deal.

In your own words "youthful mistake".

I would imagine a victim of racism would find this attitude nearly as upsetting as the racism itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I know someone with a name that is not common, but a person unrelated to him in his home town committed an ghastly crime. All over the nationwide news it was.
    People threw eggs and stuff at his house, broke his windows and terrorized his mother. He was sure that he wasnt getting jobs or apartments because of it too.
    Eventually he looked into getting this other guys name taken down off google searches. And he was successful.

That’s awful. :( I’m so glad he was successful. I can see how somebody with the same name could argue to Google that sharing a name with a criminal is affecting their life.

The most high profile example I can think of that happening is H from Steps getting loads of abuse online (and maybe to his home too) because he shares the same birth name as Ian Watkins from Lostprophets who was convicted of pretty depraved stuff (can’t remember the convictions off the top of my head so won’t name them, don’t want to be accused of defamation).

Anyway, I was mistaken. I thought this Ian Wright teenager did end up with a criminal conviction but just with a lenient sentence. I didn’t know he escaped conviction. So he will definitely be able to get Google to remove news stories related to the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Pogue eile wrote: »
    The amount and the level of victim blaming on this thread is sickening and is part of the massive problem we have in Ireland, anyone who doesn't think we have a racism problem in Ireland is deluded or complicit.

I haven’t diligently read the thread so I really don’t want to know how anyone has blamed Ian Wright in this scenario. That’s grim. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Didn’t Ian Wright mock an Irish accent on air once?

Fairly normal behaviour in England, where anyone who doesn't speak just like they do is worthy of mockery. Especially Irish people, for some reason. I'm not defending him, just pointing out that he's from a country where that kind of crap is par for the course, sadly. And as obnoxious as it undoubtedly is, it can't possibly be compared with calling someone a "c**t c**n monkey n****r" and threatening to give them Covid19.

Highly unsurprising that people on here are defending (and deflecting from) blatantly racist behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

.anon. wrote: »
    Fairly normal behaviour in England, where anyone who doesn't speak just like they do is worthy of mockery. Especially Irish people, for some reason.

happens all over the world people mimicking other people's accents, its harmless for the most part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

His own ethnic status is completely and utterly irrelevant. Yes I would. These comments are serious and should be taken seriously.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

fryup wrote: »
    happens all over the world people mimicking other people's accents, its harmless for the most part

Someone on this thread (deflecting, obviously) actually said he deserves to go to jail for it. Which is as ludicrous as claiming that it's harmless, especially when done on television.

I don't really blame the judge for not convicting the perpetrator. By not waiting until after sentencing before publicly forgiving him, Wright unwittingly sent a very clear message to the judge.

on television? but sure you have the Apres Match guys taking p!ss out of english players & commentators...its across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

on television? but sure you have the Apres Match guys taking p!ss out of english players & commentators...its across the board

You see, some of us still have that classic Irish inferiority complex chip on the shoulder, as evidenced above. It's usually a certain age group and fairly pathetic.

Same lads will be roaring on Man U at the weekend no doubt.

Or wondering who such and such thinks of us. :rolleyes:

irish inferior complex?? what are you on about?,

i'm merely saying taking the p!ss out of someone accent is not unique to England as .Anon. was trying to suggest

anyway we're going way off topic

irish inferior complex?? what are you on about?,

i'm merely saying taking the p!ss out of someone accent is not unique to England as .Anon. was trying to suggest

anyway we're going way off topic

And I'm agreeing with you.

oh sorry, when you said "comment above" i thought you meant mine

oh sorry, when you said "comment above" i thought you meant mine

No, some comments further back. No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I’ve had worse things said to my face by bullies as a young teenager than what was said here. It’s not right, but seriously sometimes the old adage sticks and stones comes to mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Fairly normal behaviour in England, where anyone who doesn't speak just like they do is worthy of mockery. Especially Irish people, for some reason. I'm not defending him, just pointing out that he's from a country where that kind of crap is par for the course, sadly. And as obnoxious as it undoubtedly is, it can't possibly be compared with calling someone a "c**t c**n monkey n****r" and threatening to give them Covid19.

Highly unsurprising that people on here are defending (and deflecting from) blatantly racist behaviour.

Ah yes. One form of racism is more acceptable than the other. Sound logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You see, some of us still have that classic Irish inferiority complex chip on the shoulder, as evidenced above. It's usually a certain age group and fairly pathetic.

Same lads will be roaring on Man U at the weekend no doubt.

Not many Irish United fans about these days. A large number of them stopped “following” Man U after they went shíte. Some stopped watching soccer altogether but most of them started supporting League of Ireland, mostly Bohs or Rovers. Claiming it to be “purer” than the English Premier League but really it was because their team were rubbish.

That “support” might shift back again now that United seem to be performing again, they are an incredibly fickle bunch after all.

But I get your point.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

at the end of the day do i think the lad should spend jail time for this...well...no

named & shamed and community service i think is enough...he is after all 18..and i know some of you will jump down my throat for saying that...but he is 18 he's still in the process of growing up and learning life's lessons, and this is one lesson he wouldn't forget

and also, maybe there could be an aspect of the autistic spectrum with this kid?

Ah yes. One form of racism is more acceptable than the other. Sound logic.

Logic isn't your strong point, is it? We're talking about two entirely different levels of racism, neither of which are acceptable, but one is very obviously more extreme than the other.

Lol. Two people have suggested that I deflected here. I asked a question. I didn’t say or start the question with “what about..” and I had said previously that the kid should have been prosecuted.

There is also an argument that Wright should lose his job. These two things can be true at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Logic isn't your strong point, is it? We're talking about two entirely different levels of racism, neither of which are acceptable, but one is very obviously more extreme than the other.

One is a 57 year old man doing it on live television after over 35 years of being in the public eye. The other is a teenager trolling on the internet.

At least one of them might grow out of it.

The fact Wright is so brazen as to display his racism in front of TV cameras just goes to show how institutional anti-Irish mockery is in English culture.

Ever heard of Punch magazine, BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭zimmermania

You see, we have a Court system in the country which are presided over by Judges. As a country we do not convict on speculation. Nor do we have trial by media or trial by internet with all sorts voicing all sorts of opinions without the same information the Judge had to hand.

If you are that easily offended you really are in the wrong place.

Absolutely nothing puzzling about it whatsoever. It could only be puzzling to a keyboard warrior without a clue. That is just showing up your lack of understanding. Of course he would have appealed.

"1 month in jail. Grand. Sure I'll take that...I could do with a bit of a break" said nobody ever.

If you were handed a 1 jail sentence would you just take it on the chin and allow yourself to be carted off in the back of a police car to Mountjoy or

Would you listen to your solicitor, lodge a bail application, and appeal to the Circuit Court and take your chances there a few months later?

Would you prefer to spend that night in Mounjoy or in the comfort of your own bed? Not so puzzling now is it.

Perhaps it would have been increased. That's the chance you take on appeal. But extremely unlikely.

I am delighted the lowlife was caught.

I too am delighted he was caught but sorry that he was not given a punishment to fit the crime and i still have not heard anything from you other than an opinion that he would have appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

tdf7187 wrote: »
    This Ian Wright character strikes me as a very unforgiving type. He claims to have suffered racist abuse non-stop all his life. Even if that's true, which I doubt, he cannot put all the blame on one young adult who made a fool of himself on social media over a relatively brief period of time, and put his hands up and acknowledged he was in the wrong - as the court system has, quite properly, taken allowance of, along with the youth of the perpetrator.

Oh, it's true all right. I take it you never grew up as a black person in London in the 70's and 80's? I take it you've never stood on the football terraces and heard this kind of abuse even towards 'their' own players?? Things are swinging back that way now. I don't think you have. Until that happens, you have NO clue and should respectfully shut up...

One is a 57 year old man doing it on live television after over 35 years of being in the public eye. The other is a teenager trolling on the internet.

At least one of them might grow out of it.

The fact Wright is so brazen as to display his racism in front of TV cameras just goes to show how institutional anti-Irish mockery is in English culture.

Ever heard of Punch magazine, BTW?

Yeah, one is a 57 year old man being casually racist on live television, in a nasty little country where that kind of behaviour is considered socially acceptable. He should know better, but even by the standards of Premiership footballers, Ian Wright has never been known for his intelligence. The other is a teenager using the most viciously racist language available to him. There's a huge gulf between imitating someone's accent and calling them a c**n and a n****r.

Oh, it's true all right. I take it you never grew up as a black person in London in the 70's and 80's? I take it you've never stood on the football terraces and heard this kind of abuse even towards 'their' own players?? Things are swinging back that way now. I don't think you have. Until that happens, you have NO clue and should respectfully shut up...

Even in the 1990s, Peter Schmeichel got away with calling Wright a 'black bastard'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Even in the 1990s, Peter Schmeichel got away with calling Wright a 'black bastard'.

I can go one better. I used to go to watch Crystal Palace when I lived in London. I used to sell programmes there and then go in to watch the games. On one occasion, I was in the Holmesdale stand and actually heard a Palace supporter call Wayne Routledge a black **** amongst other choice names. he had a kid with him too! I'm no shrinking violet, but after a while I complained to the steward, expecting him to at least tell the guy to tone it down or put him out. The steward did nothing. Joke being - I am black, so was the steward and so was the player! This is the kind of crap we have to put up with...

Advertisement