Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

30 years ago today, Maiden played their first Irish gig. My first real rock gig. Great night.

what the hell kept them so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Okon wrote: »
    A brilliant gig. Maiden really were in top form... Wolfsbane was support that night and they were very good too. I wonder what became of their lead singer? :)

Never really into Wolfsbane but Blaze really does epitomise what it means to be a Metal Legend. The guy plays anywhere and looking at recent videos he's playing to maybe 50 people per gig, and still puts in 110%

A few years back i was at Hard Rock Hell in Wales and Blaze had the graveyard (Sat night/sun morning 01:00), i was out the back having a smoke and i see Blaze coming along, lugging an amp, it was snowing, and here was Maiden's ex singer lugging his own gear in during heavy snow, he stopped for a chat, and was asking how many people were left in the venue, told him quite a few, didn't have the heart to tell him maybe 50 tops as most were fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The band are back in the studio, and a live album coming next month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

manhunts a cracking tune by wolfsbane-and blaze was perfect to replace bruce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

peter4918 wrote: »
    September 23rd 1990 - the Point depot. Etched into my brain forever. What a night!!

Great gig, remember Bruce threatened to end the gig cos of spitting!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Great gig, remember Bruce threatened to end the gig cos of spitting!?

Or gobbing as he called it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

Unfortunately spitting was the norm at gigs for a while in late 80's early 90's. I remember Anthrax walking off stage for the same thing but one particular band from Cork encouraging it in a McGonagles gig.

I just remember how loud that gig was. We were right up front and couldnt hear a f*****g thing afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

30 years ago today, Maiden played their first Irish gig. My first real rock gig. Great night.

Haha my first rock gig would be maiden in the point in 2003 on the DOD tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was at this gig. I remember it was the night before I started college (Jesus I’m old). The amount of spitting at the start was unreal, you could see a rain of snot flying onto the stage. I remember clearly seeing Dave Murray getting one onto his guitar in the middle of a solo and the look on his face. I think that was the night Bruce announced he’d had a son the night before before doing Two Minutes To Midnight. I had a pirate recording of that gig bought on O’Connell bridge that I listened to for years.

I also remember this gig for the crush at the start. The crowd went mental at the start and people started falling over around me and I fell down and then more people fell on me. I couldn’t move or breath until others starting pulling us up. I’ve never forgotten how scary that was. I think Bruce had to ask the crowd to calm down a bit to help her everyone back on their feet.

Cant believe that was 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

griffin100 wrote: »
    I was at this gig. I remember it was the night before I started college (Jesus I’m old). The amount of spitting at the start was unreal, you could see a rain of snot flying onto the stage. I remember clearly seeing Dave Murray getting one onto his guitar in the middle of a solo and the look on his face. I think that was the night Bruce announced he’d had a son the night before before doing Two Minutes To Midnight. I had a pirate recording of that gig bought on O’Connell bridge that I listened to for years.

I also remember this gig for the crush at the start. The crowd went mental at the start and people started falling over around me and I fell down and then more people fell on me. I couldn’t move or breath until others starting pulling us up. I’ve never forgotten how scary that was. I think Bruce had to ask the crowd to calm down a bit to help her everyone back on their feet.

Cant believe that was 30 years ago.

Dont remember much spitting, remember the crush. Remember seeing the red lights of the amp stacks in the darkness, realising that there was no stage set and being pissed off. Remember them opening with Tailgunner and thingking the chorus line was "I'm Attila the hun" :D

All in all it was a let down let down from some very high expectations. Maiden were a spent force by 1990

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Dont remember much spitting, remember the crush. Remember seeing the red lights of the amp stacks in the darkness, realising that there was no stage set and being pissed off. Remember them opening with Tailgunner and thingking the chorus line was "I'm Attila the hun" :D

All in all it was a let down let down from some very high expectations. Maiden were a spent force by 1990

Jaysus :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,559 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Never realised how good an album Dance of Death is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

griffin100 wrote: »

What kind of dirty ****ers would spit at a band they actually paid to go and see ffs...
    I grew up in the 80/90s and this was never the norm at least for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭flasher0030

scudzilla wrote: »
    Jaysus :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

The 90's was a dire time for a Maiden fan. Even the most optimistic must have thought it was all over as the decade progressed.
    But when Brucie boy came back in '99, everything just soared again. For a band that long on the road to keep churning out excellent albums - Dance of Death, Matter of L&D, Brave New World. And then their last album – Book of Souls for me beats everything gone before. A beast of an album – with creativity you’d expect from an enthusiastic band making their debut.
    For someone to say that they were a spent force by 1990 obviously means they haven’t listened to anything properly since 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The 90's was a dire time for a Maiden fan. Even the most optimistic must have thought it was all over as the decade progressed.
    But when Brucie boy came back in '99, everything just soared again. For a band that long on the road to keep churning out excellent albums - Dance of Death, Matter of L&D, Brave New World. And then their last album – Book of Souls for me beats everything gone before. A beast of an album – with creativity you’d expect from an enthusiastic band making their debut.
    For someone to say that they were a spent force by 1990 obviously means they haven’t listened to anything properly since 2000.

I would have been thinking the same honestly.
    I stopped listening after Bruce and Adrian left so must really catch up on the newer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭peter4918

Blazer wrote: »
    I would have been thinking the same honestly.
    I stopped listening after Bruce and Adrian left so must really catch up on the newer stuff.

You really need to listen to all the albums from 2000 onwards. There is some brilliant output in there. Start with Brave New World and work your way up. You won’t regret it. (Or even start with Book of Souls and work your way back!)

I really don’t think they were a spent force by the 90s as somebody has mentioned, just changed direction a little bit. I love No Prayer and FOTD and listen to them on a regular basis, X-Factor and Virtual XI not so much but there is some good songs on both that I do listen to from time to time.

Have any of you pre-ordered and received your copy of Nights of the Dead from the IM shop yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

New project with Adrian Smith and Richie Kotzen.

RayCon wrote: »

So boring you could sing along with it on a first listen

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

I was at that gig too and was disappointed (1990) thought they weren't enjoying it much - hard to blame them with the idiots there.
    I think Megadeth played the same year on Rust in Peace tour and they were phenomenal.
    Book of Souls is a very very good album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,559 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RayCon wrote: »

Meh, thats a very support band song

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Meh, thats a very support band song

talking of support bands, remember when it seemed like Lauren Harris was support for years, jaysus she was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭flasher0030

talking of support bands, remember when it seemed like Lauren Harris was support for years, jaysus she was bad

I'd would pay to listen to her fart on stage.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/singer-lauren-harris-daughter-of-iron-maiden-bassist-steve-harris-picture-id89739490?s=2048x2048

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'd would pay to listen to her fart on stage.

Much preferable to Bruce's sons projects. :D

Her former guitarist has done mighty well for himself now!

Much preferable to Bruce's sons projects. :D

Her former guitarist has done mighty well for himself now!

who's that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

who's that then?

Richie Faulkner who replaced Ken in Judas Priest. Which will be ten years ago this year come to think of it, feck I'm getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Iron Maiden included in this year's nominees for the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Iron Maiden included in this year's nominees for the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame.

I don’t think they care too much about it at this stage as Carole King or Chaka Khan or whatever other pop artist is nominated this year will get it before them anyway so from their point of view says it all really.

For those on the Twitter Tim’s listening party this Friday at 9pm will be powerslave and Bruce dickenson is the guest https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,022 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For those on the Twitter Tim’s listening party this Friday at 9pm will be powerslave and Bruce dickenson is the guest https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/

A cool concept, have listened in to a few so may add this to the list

Advertisement