Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BCG89

We have just postponed from March to end of July. Very few of our suppliers can move with us but I found it fairly easy to get new supplies having done all of the research/searching first time around. We got it all sorted over the weekend, not as daunting as I thought it would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

BCG89 wrote: »
    We have just postponed from March to end of July. Very few of our suppliers can move with us but I found it fairly easy to get new supplies having done all of the research/searching first time around. We got it all sorted over the weekend, not as daunting as I thought it would be!

I was the very same when we moved from April to August. We said the most important after the venue was our celebrant, who we felt a rapport with. Thankfully she was able!

I was a bit worried about the photographer, purely due to the €500 deposit we'd given him. When I rang he told me that he'd had a couple with our new date cancel just 24 hours earlier! They're in Oz so it makes sense.

Have to say, I'm happier every day we changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

BCG89 wrote: »

Thanks, moved the hotel and ceremony today :)

I've only heard back from photographer who can't move, not sure if he will keep deposit.

I've emailed the other suppliers too so lets see, can source new ones if needs be.

I just feel with shops not opening until March, it would all be a bit rushed to get stuff sorted, get dress fitted, get wedding rings, get trials done.
    I know the numbers might still be 50 or less but at least things should be open over the summer.

Has anyone here sat on a chiavari chair? We are considering hiring them for our wedding day but I'm wondering how comfortable they would be. Also we have 1 or 2 large guests and the chairs look delicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Has anyone here sat on a chiavari chair? We are considering hiring them for our wedding day but I'm wondering how comfortable they would be. Also we have 1 or 2 large guests and the chairs look delicate.

I've sat on them at weddings and they were comfortable. Sturdiness will probably depend on build quality but you should be fine.

But I'm a bit biased because I hate the look of most chair covers and would like almost anything else.

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    I've sat on them at weddings and they were comfortable. Sturdiness will probably depend on build quality but you should be fine.

But I'm a bit biased because I hate the look of most chair covers and would like almost anything else.

I hate chair covers as well. If we don't hire chairs we will use the venue ones without the covers.
    There are a number of suppliers online. We were quoted €900 for 80 chairs including vat and delivery. No way will we pay that. There is another company which are priced at €3.50 each but I wonder are they not as well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Chivari chairs come with our package but from the outset before we had a venue I said I wouldn’t pay extra for them. The only time you see chairs is when the room is totally empty. Once people are seated they put their jackets on the back of their chairs or the room is full enough that you can’t even see chair backs anyway.

My sister in law was quoted €5 per chair for chivari chairs from her venue (the venue owned them, the charge was in order to swap them out of storage for the regular chairs...). €500 for chairs seemed unnecessary to me.

In saying that, you didn’t ask for my opinion (sorry! :o) and the chairs are comfortable and you could trust (in as much as you can with any piece of furniture) them to be fit for purpose and handle people of all shapes an sizes sitting on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I also hate chair covers! Is there any reason you can't just use the venue chairs without the chair covers? As Michellenman said, once people sit down and hang their jackets on the back of them, you don't really notice the chairs anyway. I just don't know if I could justify spending hundreds to hire chairs if the venue has ones you can use.

Chivari chairs come with our package but from the outset before we had a venue I said I wouldn’t pay extra for them. The only time you see chairs is when the room is totally empty. Once people are seated they put their jackets on the back of their chairs or the room is full enough that you can’t even see chair backs anyway.

My sister in law was quoted €5 per chair for chivari chairs from her venue (the venue owned them, the charge was in order to swap them out of storage for the regular chairs...). €500 for chairs seemed unnecessary to me.

In saying that, you didn’t ask for my opinion (sorry! :o) and the chairs are comfortable and you could trust (in as much as you can with any piece of furniture) them to be fit for purpose and handle people of all shapes an sizes sitting on them.

All opinions are welcome and my fiancé will especially like yours :D

I agree with you that once people are seated and the coats go in the back nobody will pay a blind bit of notice to them. I have a little vision for how I'd like the ceremony and reception rooms styled. If we can get the chairs at a good price I'll be happy and if not sure I'll come up with a way to make the regular chairs look nice :)

woodchuck wrote: »
    I also hate chair covers! Is there any reason you can't just use the venue chairs without the chair covers? As Michellenman said, once people sit down and hang their jackets on the back of them, you don't really notice the chairs anyway. I just don't know if I could justify spending hundreds to hire chairs if the venue has ones you can use.

We could but they would look a bit out of place against the overall look. Have you sat on a chiavari chair?

• Advertisement

I can't say if I have or haven't tbh... I didn't know what they were until you mentioned them and I did a quick google :o

Is it possible you're overthinking the look of the chairs though? In the grand scheme of things that go unnoticed, I reckon they're high on the list. Provided they're not covered in hideous fabric or something, hiring chairs separate to what the venue provides wouldn't have even occurred to me.

woodchuck wrote: »
    I can't say if I have or haven't tbh... I didn't know what they were until you mentioned them and I did a quick google :o

Is it possible you're overthinking the look of the chairs though? In the grand scheme of things that go unnoticed, I reckon they're high on the list. Provided they're not covered in hideous fabric or something, hiring chairs separate to what the venue provides wouldn't have even occurred to me.

I would like our guests and us to walk in to the room and think how beautiful it looks. I may be projecting because it is something I would notice. We will see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I’ve sat on them and they’re fine but with a few drinks in I wouldn’t take much notice of comfort! I would say older people might find them uncomfortable if seated for a long period of time. They can be very narrow on the seat and back and if well used a little bit rickety so maybe ask your venue to sit in them?

They definitely do look nice if that’s the look you are going for. When you walk into the room people will notice them, I have a good few pics of friends reception rooms set up and they look great.

Teach30 wrote: »
    I’ve sat on them and they’re fine but with a few drinks in I wouldn’t take much notice of comfort! I would say older people might find them uncomfortable if seated for a long period of time. They can be very narrow on the seat and back and if well used a little bit rickety so maybe ask your venue to sit in them?

They definitely do look nice if that’s the look you are going for. When you walk into the room people will notice them, I have a good few pics of friends reception rooms set up and they look great.

Aha yes that is what I was worried about. We have a number of older guests to invite. My uncle is in his early 80's and my dad will be 79. I will be making a visit to the venue as soon as we can travel to remind myself of how it all looks. Have you heard from any older people who found them uncomfortable? Will you have them at your wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Aha yes that is what I was worried about. We have a number of older guests to invite. My uncle is in his early 80's and my dad will be 79. I will be making a visit to the venue as soon as we can travel to remind myself of how it all looks. Have you heard from any older people who found them uncomfortable? Will you have them at your wedding?

Yea my mother and aunts wouldn’t be fan and they’re in their 70’s. I’m not having them as I’ve seen them done to death! They were very new and fresh 6 or 7 years ago but I wanted something a little more modern.

We have high back, soft seating chairs that are wide on the seat. From what I can see they look comfortable and are a good height for the tables. I won’t be decorating them or getting the room done up apart from the flowers and whatever the hotel does. I’m not not getting a separate crowd to style it, waste of money imo.

You could ask your venue for separate chairs for your parents and your uncle? I know our venue has terribly tacky chairs for the b&g but I’ll be asking for different ones to them!

Teach30 wrote: »
    Yea my mother and aunts wouldn’t be fan and they’re in their 70’s. I’m not having them as I’ve seen them done to death! They were very new and fresh 6 or 7 years ago but I wanted something a little more modern.

We have high back, soft seating chairs that are wide on the seat. From what I can see they look comfortable and are a good height for the tables. I won’t be decorating them or getting the room done up apart from the flowers and whatever the hotel does. I’m not not getting a separate crowd to style it, waste of money imo.

You could ask your venue for separate chairs for your parents and your uncle? I know our venue has terribly tacky chairs for the b&g but I’ll be asking for different ones to them!

They are very common alright.
    Wedding stylists are all the rage these days. I can do it all myself so definitely won't be paying for one of those.

The more I think the more it makes sense to go with the chairs already there. They might not look as well but I want people to feel comfortable.

Actually because Chiavari are so used then not having them could be a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 marbilio

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I am clogging up the forum with this message but I was just wondering if anybody on here is planning on getting married in Rathsallagh. I would really appreciate if you could PM please because we just have couple of questions and I was hoping to speak to someone.

Thank you and fingers crossed for eveyone's big day this year:):):)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

RANT WARNING

I’ve really hit a brick wall in the last week or two. We’re not until the beginning of June and we’ve agreed that we’re going to go ahead unless the numbers are 6 but everything has me anxious - the extended lockdown, the daily numbers, retail being closed, no travel etc. We’re trying to sort out rings and accessories but can’t go to a shop to get ring sized, can’t travel to get dress alterations, we don’t know if we can have a band or the illustrator we’ve booked, blah, blah, blah. I’m just exhausted from everything. I’ve had to delete all the Facebook pages I follow because I can’t handle another post about people postponing with weddings later than ours.

Is it terrible that I’m getting jealous of all my friends who have gotten engaged recently who (hopefully) won’t have to deal with this crap?

Rant away XxMCRxBabyxX!

I'm having a bad day of it myself. I'm trying to research things like decor, invites, memory box etc and just feel like a damned fool tbh. I'm like why am I even bothering if we're just going to have to postpone again. I was hopeful that we'd have at least 25 guests by May, but I'm less sure now. Particularly with all the talk of vaccine delays and it's looking like schools may not even start to open again until March. The original level 5 included schools being open, so we won't even get "down" to level 5 until March/April. What hope is there of getting to level 3 by May? Our venue doesn't have accommodation, so I was hoping to stay in a nice hotel somewhere else that night and have a sort of minimoon within our own county - as sh1t as that sounds, even that might not be possible anymore.

My new prediction is that they're going to prioritise getting the numbers down as low as possible for July and August, prioritising those months for reopening hospitality, as they're the traditional holiday months. We'll probably have enough people vaccinated by the end of August that we can keep hospitality open at that stage. Before July though? I'm no longer hopeful.
    Is it terrible that I’m getting jealous of all my friends who have gotten engaged recently who (hopefully) won’t have to deal with this crap?

I don't think so. I think it's completely understandable. I had a dream recently that my brother got engaged and my first reaction was "Well! They're not going to be a Covid couple. They'll actually get to enjoy their engagement and run up to the wedding". I can see myself becoming a horribly bitter and resentful person when it comes to other peoples weddings for years to come.

Hey everyone,

My Fiancé and I have decided to go ahead this Spring. We will have a happy occasion, even if it doesnt look like what we thought it would be when we started planning two years ago. Things are different, and we decided to roll with it for our own reasons.
    I'm going to unfollow the thread for a while, as I just need to give my head some space.
    I wish you all the very best with your plans, whether that's to postpone, go for a micro wedding, or have 2 weddings. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress too much!

I'll let you all know how it goes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

RANT WARNING

Ah I completely understand. We are booked for March and resigned to postponing but haven’t pulled the trigger just yet.

In terms of friends though, try to think that you’ll be married and taking the next steps in your married life (whatever they may be - house, kids, whatever) when your friends in the future will only be just getting engaged or planning their weddings. Think of the thousands of couples across the country postponing getting engaged or even talking about marriage until “after covid”. Many would kill to be in our positions right now, planning a wedding.

The lady in my dress shop actually said she is seeing couples move weddings FORWARD ( as best they can ) lately because people don’t want to out their lives on hold or delay having children any longer.

I completely understand your feelings but on the dark days try and just see it from this perspective too maybe. The marriage is what counts really, not so much the wedding. And you can always have a huge relaxed wedding party afterwards in the future.

Hey everyone,

My Fiancé and I have decided to go ahead this Spring. We will have a happy occasion, even if it doesnt look like what we thought it would be when we started planning two years ago. Things are different, and we decided to roll with it for our own reasons.
    I'm going to unfollow the thread for a while, as I just need to give my head some space.
    I wish you all the very best with your plans, whether that's to postpone, go for a micro wedding, or have 2 weddings. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress too much!

I'll let you all know how it goes :)

I hope this wasn't my fault! Wishing you the best of luck Eskie! Looking forward to seeing your update!

Goose76 wrote: »
    Ah I completely understand. We are booked for March and resigned to postponing but haven’t pulled the trigger just yet.

In terms of friends though, try to think that you’ll be married and taking the next steps in your married life (whatever they may be - house, kids, whatever) when your friends in the future will only be just getting engaged or planning their weddings. Think of the thousands of couples across the country postponing getting engaged or even talking about marriage until “after covid”. Many would kill to be in our positions right now, planning a wedding.

The lady in my dress shop actually said she is seeing couples move weddings FORWARD ( as best they can ) lately because people don’t want to out their lives on hold or delay having children any longer.

I completely understand your feelings but on the dark days try and just see it from this perspective too maybe. The marriage is what counts really, not so much the wedding. And you can always have a huge relaxed wedding party afterwards in the future.

You're totally right. I'm completely delighted for all the couples, just a bit selfishly downhearted for myself. I still can't wait to marry my fiancé and am excited to be his wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

RANT WARNING

I’ve really hit a brick wall in the last week or two. We’re not until the beginning of June and we’ve agreed that we’re going to go ahead unless the numbers are 6 but everything has me anxious - the extended lockdown, the daily numbers, retail being closed, no travel etc. We’re trying to sort out rings and accessories but can’t go to a shop to get ring sized, can’t travel to get dress alterations, we don’t know if we can have a band or the illustrator we’ve booked, blah, blah, blah. I’m just exhausted from everything. I’ve had to delete all the Facebook pages I follow because I can’t handle another post about people postponing with weddings later than ours.

We're May and I know exactly how you feel. I am really hoping that we are at 25 by then but I am starting to lose hope.

We are going ahead either way but if we are still at 6 we need to decide what that looks like. Will we be able to find somewhere that can do a meal for just the 6 of us? Do I wear my dress and everything if all we can do is the registry office with no meal or anything. Do we bother with the photographer for the 30 minute ceremony in the registry office or lose a big deposit paid on that? If thats all we do, do we postpone a reception again for later in the year?

It is hard not to be jealous of others, but at the moment I am focused on finally getting to marry my fiance, the details don't matter as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

zedhead wrote: »
    We're May and I know exactly how you feel. I am really hoping that we are at 25 by then but I am starting to lose hope.

We are going ahead either way but if we are still at 6 we need to decide what that looks like. Will we be able to find somewhere that can do a meal for just the 6 of us? Do I wear my dress and everything if all we can do is the registry office with no meal or anything. Do we bother with the photographer for the 30 minute ceremony in the registry office or lose a big deposit paid on that? If thats all we do, do we postpone a reception again for later in the year?

It is hard not to be jealous of others, but at the moment I am focused on finally getting to marry my fiance, the details don't matter as much!

I think there's every chance of 25 by May zedhead, I wouldn't lose hope!

We're August and I'm crossing fingers for 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

zedhead wrote: »

I think you have every chance of having 25 in May.

We want to have 50 and my partners family would be travelling from Wales so we moved to August only last week. We also had no wedding rings, bridesmaids dresses not sorted etc so was better for us to move. Lost a couple of deposits but all in all it wasn't stressful. Hotel had a lot of available dates we could move to, ppl must be moving theirs until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Has anyone booked their wedding (or attended a wedding!) at Lyrath Estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

We were for early August and made a decision today to move to May 2022. We have to go midweek as there are no 'nice' dates left in our venue until Q2 2023! :pac:

We just felt that our best guess, as no one actually knows, that a best case scenerio is that we'd be allowed have 50 to 100 people and we just have our heart set on our original number (200).

The last thing I want to do is stress out anyone as we have been so upset and worried ourselves - everyone is different and has different wishes and wants for their day so make sure you do what suits you. I'm just sharing this to help anyone feeling the same.

I think honestly if you're happy to have 50 or so, keep your date. Everyone is different.

On another note, I know of two great Saturday dates at a great venue that is now up for grabs, if anyone is interested in moving their upcoming wedding out to August.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Just wondering are babies included in the restriction of 6 people. I am planning 6 adult guest and a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

marbilio wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Sorry if I am clogging up the forum with this message but I was just wondering if anybody on here is planning on getting married in Rathsallagh. I would really appreciate if you could PM please because we just have couple of questions and I was hoping to speak to someone.

Thank you and fingers crossed for eveyone's big day this year:):):)

I was at a civil ceremony wedding in Rathsallagh for my best friend's wedding and it was absolutely gorgeous. Very classy and the venue took care of organising most of the details. The couple were delighted with it.

Advertisement