Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you Petty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Hamachi

In real life, no definitely not.

However, I’ve discovered that I do have a petty side here on Boards. There’s one particular poster who creeps around threads that interest me, like a fly around sh*t.

Her ridiculous, puerile posting style irritates me and I have an almost uncontrollable urge to give her a wedgie and then flush her head down the bog.

I thank Boards for introducing me to this wench and for bringing out my innate pettiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

:pac: Ah here, I really need new glasses. I read the title as "Are you Pretty?" :rolleyes:

The answer to which would be a resounding no.

The answer to the actual question would also be no.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

PhantomHat wrote: »
    Petty as in Tom?
    Well I sure am more of a Heartbreaker

Why do you have to be a heartbreaker?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

forumdedum wrote: »
    Tom?
    COVID wrote: »
    Alright lads, knock it off with the Tom Petty jokes.

drake70 wrote: »
    :pac: Ah here, I really need new glasses. I read the title as "Are you Pretty?" :rolleyes:

The answer to which would be a resounding no.

The answer to the actual question would also be no.

I feel petty, oh so petty
    I feel petty, upsetty and shíte
    And I'm petty
    With anyone who isn't me tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Hamachi wrote: »

However, I’ve discovered that I do have a petty side here on Boards. There’s one particular poster who creeps around threads that interest me, like a fly around sh*t.

Her ridiculous, puerile posting style irritates me and I have an almost uncontrollable urge to give her a wedgie and then flush her head down the bog.

I thank Boards for introducing me to this wench and for bringing out my innate pettiness!

Is it me? :eek:

:p

Because if you automatically hate people, and they turn out to be nice, it's a bonus. Doesn't work the other way around.

Maybe hate is too strong a word. Strongly dislike is probably better.

Do you find that people who you encounter pick up on your dislike for them and they react accordingly?

I think it's an unfortunate way to view others. We are all human and all flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

boombang wrote: »
    I like to be a courteous driver, let people out, merge etc (I know, what a great guy). However, when somebody tries to to push into my right of way there's no way I let them.

If I can predict what they're about to do (and 99% of the time, it's possible), I just back off and leave them to it. People get too worked up about having right-of-way, often to the extent that they'd sooner have an accident than let someone get in front of them.

I can be quite petty when it comes to inconsiderate parking. My own car is old and I don't really care if it gets scratched, so if I see a car parked over the lines in a car park, I'll always make sure to park as close to it as possible. Give them a bit of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I'm only petty in my imagination. In real life I let things go and don't hold a grudge. But if someone annoys me I spend a happy few moments imagining all sorts of gruesome revenge scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Do you find that people who you encounter pick up on your dislike for them and they react accordingly?

I think it's an unfortunate way to view others. We are all human and all flawed.

To be totally honest, I don't notice. Specifically because it's not something I care about anymore. I am who I am. I'm not saying that when I first meet someone I act like I've hated them for ages. I just don't expect anything of them, and everything that's good is a bonus. It works considerably better than my previous approach of giving people the benefit of the doubt and being proven wrong.

I would still engage with new people and wouldn't treat them any differently to anyone else. I honestly believe the vast majority of humanity are selfish, so expecting that and being proven wrong is like a little win. Instead of expecting everyone to be decent, because they're not, a vast majority just are not decent even though they think they might be.

I had a brighter outlook, but then I became a Garda for 9 years and saw how low humanity could go, and even moreso how so many people have deluded themselves into thinking they're good people, when they can't even recognise why they're not.

Being let down often is worse than expecting nothing and being surprised, as you get surprised more often than you would be let down, as anything above the expectation of nothing is a surprise. Complicated way of explaining it, but I'm not the best with words at times. I should also point out that I'm the happiest I have been in about 15 years. Oh, and I've little to no empathy for people outside my circle. Still happier though. Time for bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Is it me? :eek:

:p

No. You seem far too nice :).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

COVID wrote: »
    Alright lads, knock it off with the Tom Petty jokes.

Yes i agree, we don't want to be free falling into bad puns otherwise i won't come around here no more and live the life of a refugee.

^
    fryup wrote: »
    Yes i agree, we don't want to be free falling into bad puns otherwise i won't come around here no more and live the life of a refugee.

I was referencing the Dionne Warwick song.

Who's Tom Petty?

To be totally honest, I don't notice. Specifically because it's not something I care about anymore. I am who I am. I'm not saying that when I first meet someone I act like I've hated them for ages. I just don't expect anything of them, and everything that's good is a bonus. It works considerably better than my previous approach of giving people the benefit of the doubt and being proven wrong.

I would still engage with new people and wouldn't treat them any differently to anyone else. I honestly believe the vast majority of humanity are selfish, so expecting that and being proven wrong is like a little win. Instead of expecting everyone to be decent, because they're not, a vast majority just are not decent even though they think they might be.

I had a brighter outlook, but then I became a Garda for 9 years and saw how low humanity could go, and even moreso how so many people have deluded themselves into thinking they're good people, when they can't even recognise why they're not.

Being let down often is worse than expecting nothing and being surprised, as you get surprised more often than you would be let down, as anything above the expectation of nothing is a surprise. Complicated way of explaining it, but I'm not the best with words at times. I should also point out that I'm the happiest I have been in about 15 years. Oh, and I've little to no empathy for people outside my circle. Still happier though. Time for bed.

We all have different ways of being in this world and that's a good thing. You do you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Is anyone here petty? Be honest. It's easy to say that we should instead be focused on the bigger picture in live, but every now and then we can't pretend something doesn't annoy us. Do you like to get your own back on people over small things to prove a point? Do you like giving someone a taste of their own medicine? And do you prefer to do it in such a way that the other person will be wondering whether it was you, or whether it was deliberate? Do you like to bring up something someone said in the past at the right moment in order to point out how someone is full of sh1t? In any case, I think people are a lot more petty people out there than what we are led to believe. So it's important to recognise such behaviour.

Take myself for example - if someone bangs their car door into mine when parked next to me (pet hate), or parks terribly at my expense, I may leave a nasty note on the car! Here's a few stories of my own pettiness. Tell me if if you think it's mean, or if it's fair game. And if you do not think such behaviour is mean, then tell if you think it's immature?

Story of pettiness

Recently I had a disagreement with two rough ladies (no masks) who wanted to skip a Covid19 queue to get into our store. They pretended to misunderstand the queue system, and I had to explain clearly how it worked and that they'd to go back to the start. They tried to get me to re-explain it to wear me down, but it didn't work. The more reasonable of the two ladies said to the other "look we'll have to get back". The other turned to her and said (right in front of me) "over him?". She then asked to see a manager. So what I did eventually, was I pretended to call a manager with the walkie talkie, and had these two stand to the side. Then after about 2 minutes I did actually called the manager. He took quite a while to come out! The manager ended up letting them in, but not after a big argument which seemed to upset them quite a bit!

I don’t think that your story is petty. Some people believe that they have a free pass to do whatever they want. They do not care how they treat others. At least you were reminding them that their behaviour does not go unnoticed and to remind other people that it is not acceptable!

I remember this well-dressed and well-to-do man was taking out money from an ATM. This vile junky was hurling the worst racial abuse that you could imagine at the man taking out the money. I retorted with a scathing cut-down. I didn’t do it to change the behaviour of the junky; it was too late for him. But I wanted the guy at the ATM to know that this man wasn’t speaking on behalf of the others in the queue. Our silence may have been misconstrued as assent with the junky. I spoke so that people would know that saying the horrific things was not acceptable in any society

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I think a lot of people are bothered about how others view them, but in reality most people are so self absorbed that they don't notice others as much as you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Roy Orbison

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

milehip wrote: »
    That's hardcore, would love to know the back story.

Its quite the backstory, goes back 30 years. There's a real satisfaction seeing the lid put on someone bad and them dropped in the ground, this forgive and forget rubbish is completely over rated.

Antares35 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are bothered about how others view them, but in reality most people are so self absorbed that they don't notice others as much as you would think.
    But it's when they do that they form their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Is anyone here petty? Be honest. It's easy to say that we should instead be focused on the bigger picture in live, but every now and then we can't pretend something doesn't annoy us. Do you like to get your own back on people over small things to prove a point? Do you like giving someone a taste of their own medicine? And do you prefer to do it in such a way that the other person will be wondering whether it was you, or whether it was deliberate? Do you like to bring up something someone said in the past at the right moment in order to point out how someone is full of sh1t? In any case, I think people are a lot more petty people out there than what we are led to believe. So it's important to recognise such behaviour.

Take myself for example - if someone bangs their car door into mine when parked next to me (pet hate), or parks terribly at my expense, I may leave a nasty note on the car! Here's a few stories of my own pettiness. Tell me if if you think it's mean, or if it's fair game. And if you do not think such behaviour is mean, then tell if you think it's immature?

Story of pettiness

Recently I had a disagreement with two rough ladies (no masks) who wanted to skip a Covid19 queue to get into our store. They pretended to misunderstand the queue system, and I had to explain clearly how it worked and that they'd to go back to the start. They tried to get me to re-explain it to wear me down, but it didn't work. The more reasonable of the two ladies said to the other "look we'll have to get back". The other turned to her and said (right in front of me) "over him?". She then asked to see a manager. So what I did eventually, was I pretended to call a manager with the walkie talkie, and had these two stand to the side. Then after about 2 minutes I did actually called the manager. He took quite a while to come out! The manager ended up letting them in, but not after a big argument which seemed to upset them quite a bit!

Username doesn't check out.

I get my pettiness out of me on boards!

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I’d go beyond petty and say I hold a grudge terribly.

Few people that I consider have wronged me or family members and I would hold a grudge desperately against them.

Buried one recently and I I just couldn’t help but think “who’s putting who in the ground now ya cnut” as coffin was lowered

There are others, I’ll wait my time, never forgive and never forget what they have said or done.

"Buried one recently and I I just couldn’t help but think “who’s putting who in the ground now ya cnut” as coffin was lowered"

Unless you actually killed him thats a weird sentence

But it's when they do that they form their opinion.

I know. Not sure what your point is though! :)

Its quite the backstory, goes back 30 years. There's a real satisfaction seeing the lid put on someone bad and them dropped in the ground, this forgive and forget rubbish is completely over rated.

They must have really wronged you.

Hamachi wrote: »

Haha! I can totally understand that, I get the vibe I know who youre talking about aswell.

Antares35 wrote: »
    I know. Not sure what your point is though! :)
    Well I'm not quite sure what your's was. Do you mean to say others aren't as petty as what they seem because they're not thinking about us??

I think I have been in the past and there are a few recent times where I came close but stopped myself. The people in my life aren't petty at all, well there were one or two but we aren't friends anymore.

It appears a bit on Boards I think. Its hard to tell at times but if you are ignored by someone who used to be friendly with you, is that them being petty? As in have you done something to offend them and rather than saying so they just ignore you?

I dunno. We are all a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Nobody wins from a feud. Both parties suffer! And we learn belatedly how silly we are.

I know somebody who is the great-grandson of a man who lost his son in a concentration camp in Nazi Germany. He felt that there would be no gain if he perpetuated the hate post-war. He insisted that his grand-children all studied German. Most of that generation are German teachers and one of them even married a German and moved there.

We only have one short life. Life is tough for everybody. Don’t condone people’s ****ty behaviour. But don’t let the resentment waste your life

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I’d go beyond petty and say I hold a grudge terribly.

Few people that I consider have wronged me or family members and I would hold a grudge desperately against them.

Buried one recently and I I just couldn’t help but think “who’s putting who in the ground now ya cnut” as coffin was lowered

There are others, I’ll wait my time, never forgive and never forget what they have said or done.

Haha I thought I wasn't petty as I never conduct actions against someone who is a **** rather sticking to the facts and making sure I treated them exactly no better or worse faster or slower than had they not done whatever is offensive usually they get the message quick and resume to being chivilerous because they saw me holding the high ground.
    But when I read that story i can conclude if that's petty then I'm guilty as charged

Well I'm not quite sure what your's was. Do you mean to say others aren't as petty as what they seem because they're not thinking about us??

Oh gawd, petty mental gymnastics :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Im pretty!

Am i petty? no!

I am very proud though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement