Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you Petty?

Options
  • 30-01-2021 4:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭

Is anyone here petty? Be honest. It's easy to say that we should instead be focused on the bigger picture in live, but every now and then we can't pretend something doesn't annoy us. Do you like to get your own back on people over small things to prove a point? Do you like giving someone a taste of their own medicine? And do you prefer to do it in such a way that the other person will be wondering whether it was you, or whether it was deliberate? Do you like to bring up something someone said in the past at the right moment in order to point out how someone is full of sh1t? In any case, I think people are a lot more petty people out there than what we are led to believe. So it's important to recognise such behaviour.

Take myself for example - if someone bangs their car door into mine when parked next to me (pet hate), or parks terribly at my expense, I may leave a nasty note on their car! Here's a few stories of my own pettiness. Tell me if if you think it's mean, or if it's fair game. And if you do not think such behaviour is mean, then tell if you think it's immature?

Story of pettiness

Recently I had a disagreement with two rough ladies (no masks) who wanted to skip a Covid19 queue to get into our store. They pretended to misunderstand the queue system, and I had to explain clearly how it worked and that they'd to go back to the start. They tried to get me to re-explain it to wear me down, but it didn't work. The more reasonable of the two ladies said to the other "look we'll have to get back". The other turned to her and said (right in front of me) "over him?". She then asked to see a manager. So what I did eventually, was I pretended to call a manager with the walkie talkie, and had these two stand to the side. Then after about 2 minutes I did actually called the manager. He took quite a while to come out! The manager ended up letting them in, but not after a big argument which seemed to upset them quite a bit!

Story two

I used to work security once, and the staff were supposed to have their bags checked by me or a manager before going home. Anyway one day as this staff member walked past me, he said to two other floor staff "I'm just gonna have Eoin (manager) check it because it's just so awkward doing it with him". He could've at least realised that I was in ear shot.

A few minutes later I could see that he hadn't found a manager, and that he was coming back to look for me to do the bag check. So I walked away towards the back corner of the ground floor, and went up the fire exit stairs to the other section of the store. I knew that the girls in customer service (who he just made the remark to) would tell him which way I went. He presumed I was on the ground floor as no one uses that stairs. By the time he realised that I wasn't downstairs, he went back towards the front of the store in order to use the escalator to go upstairs... the only other place he thought I could be. But I'd gone into the camera room! From there I watched him looking for me for about 3 minutes before he gave up and left without doing any bag check!

He definitely realised what I was up to by the time he left. But he couldn't have been sure. I could easily have deniability if he confronted me. Just as he would have had deniability if I had confronted him about what he had said.
    Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wouldn't be bothered

Life is too short

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

Wouldn't be bothered

Life is too short

I find this very annoying and I am probably being very petty. It does me no harm or not really my business but couples, husbands and wives who respond to each other on facebook, even though they are sitting on the same sofa. I have a brother in law who would hardly say hello to me, never says anything positive to myself or my husband, yet there he is saying oh yes that was a great movie etc to my sister, even though the two of them are less than a foot away from each other. Are people so desperate to be noticed that they feel they have to do this on facebook....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Tom Petty

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I dont bother unless I'm able and actually want to escalate a certain situation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Mad_maxx, cop on with the generalisations or don't post in this thread

Guys the standard of posting is shocking so far. Can we avoid the generalisations and stay on topic instead of bashing ethnicities

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I can be very petty and have recently admitted to myself it’s my own fear of rejection that’s manifesting itself into pettiness, blaming old arguments and rejections on anyone that brings me back to that feeling, it’s a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You might not think you’re Petty Op, but you are definitely freefallin.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

brookers wrote: »
    I find this very annoying and I am probably being very petty. It does me no harm or not really my business but couples, husbands and wives who respond to each other on facebook, even though they are sitting on the same sofa. I have a brother in law who would hardly say hello to me, never says anything positive to myself or my husband, yet there he is saying oh yes that was a great movie etc to my sister, even though the two of them are less than a foot away from each other. Are people so desperate to be noticed that they feel they have to do this on facebook....

I get disproportionately irritated by couples who post on Facebook to wish each other happy birthday/Valentine’s Day/anniversary when they’ve woken up beside each other and probably already had a ride before they posted for everyone to see how loved up they are. I also think that the more gushing the fb post, the more likely it is that the relationship is in trouble. It’s the more modern version of the curse of Hello magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d go beyond petty and say I hold a grudge terribly.

Few people that I consider have wronged me or family members and I would hold a grudge desperately against them.

Buried one recently and I I just couldn’t help but think “who’s putting who in the ground now ya cnut” as coffin was lowered

There are others, I’ll wait my time, never forgive and never forget what they have said or done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

In ways.

We are all a little OCD in ways and pettiness is just an extension of that.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »

Few people that I consider have wronged me or family members and I would hold a grudge desperately against them.

Buried one recently and I I just couldn’t help but think “who’s putting who in the ground now ya cnut” as coffin was lowered

There are others, I’ll wait my time, never forgive and never forget what they have said or done.

I’ll do that too but it wouldn’t worry me at all. Basically wrong me once and that’s it, absolutely final. Never a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not usually, but if someone acts the dick/entitled/Karen/Billy Big Balls/skobie wan kenobie etc, toward me or someone close to me or someone that can't do anything about them due to their employment etc, and I'm in a position to do so, I'll be Tom Petty and each of the Heartbreakers on their best day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm good enough.
    Sometimes when things happen I might be a little hot headed but after a few minutes I'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In the last 4-5 years... I’ve become the same...

Blot your copybook with me once.. if we are GOOD friends or family you’ll likely get ONE second chance... if you are just a work colleague, casual friend or acquaintance it’s fûck you...no effort shall be imparted your way to smooth the path to cordiality let alone any kind friendship...

But even good friends, family there are limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

This made me laugh 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My mam says I am.
    But she would since that awful dinner she cooked me on 2nd august 1994 that meant I don’t call her every Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Most people are pretty. Not all but most and most won't admit they are... Some do not even realise they are.

I've seen incredible amounts of pettiness when working in retail. As then it's strangers dealing with other strangers. Everyone wants the upper hand. To one up someone in a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Strumms wrote: »
    In the last 4-5 years... I’ve become the same...

Blot your copybook with me once.. if we are GOOD friends or family you’ll likely get ONE second chance... if you are just a work colleague, casual friend or acquaintance it’s fûck you...no effort shall be imparted your way to smooth the path to cordiality let alone any kind friendship...

But even good friends, family there are limits.

Have 2 sisters and their family I don’t talk to, nor do any of my other siblings. They just started treating my mam like **** and bad mouthing my dad who is dead. Ungrateful spoiled bitches .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's hard to be petty when you hate everyone equally.

It's hard to be petty when you hate everyone equally.

How can you hate everyone if you don't know everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

How can you hate everyone if you don't know everyone?

Because if you automatically hate people, and they turn out to be nice, it's a bonus. Doesn't work the other way around.

Maybe hate is too strong a word. Strongly dislike is probably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Have 2 sisters and their family I don’t talk to, nor do any of my other siblings. They just started treating my mam like **** and bad mouthing my dad who is dead. Ungrateful spoiled bitches .

Something I never understood when it comes to family, how we are expected to tolerate worse behaviour than we would from strangers, "because they're family". Bull**** - if anything the bar should be higher for how they treat us not lower. I've had this conversation with my mam over her c*nt of a sister who's a spiteful, posh, passive aggressive horror of a human being, until she gets a southern comfort into her and she's anyone's. Mam makes excuses for her "well she's the only sister I have" - so what? If a stranger treated her like that she'd be pulled on it.

I've alienated a lot of my family because they treated me badly, and I know I've the name of the "black sheep" or whatever, but I wouldn't take it from friends or co-workers, I'm not going to take it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

That's hardcore, would love to know the back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Does insight not take all the fun out of it? to enjoy being petty you need a good dose of self-rightness without any insight into yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I like to be a courteous driver, let people out, merge etc (I know, what a great guy). However, when somebody tries to to push into my right of way there's no way I let them.

Because if you automatically hate people, and they turn out to be nice, it's a bonus. Doesn't work the other way around.

Maybe hate is too strong a word. Strongly dislike is probably better.

And the vast majority turn out to be arseholes anyway, so it’s a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭PhantomHat

Petty as in Tom?
    Well I sure am more of a Heartbreaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Fegelien back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I don't hold a grudge.

But they'll never get better than 2 stars on Google. Never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Tom?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement