Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19 in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If the crowds up Mount Leinster were anything to go by, the 5km rule is being widely flouted. Likewise the woods at Ballinakelly, where the Gardaí sent people home. Anecdotal evidence says children are playing in groups, going into each others houses and even sleep overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Beauchamp Bagenal

Almost 300 cases since I last posted.
    Passed 2100 mark today.
    Probably much higher in reality.
    #CarlowRising

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

Almost 300 cases since I last posted.
    Passed 2100 mark today.
    Probably much higher in reality.
    #CarlowRising

Of course it’s higher in reality. They aren’t testing close contacts unless they are symptomatic which means far more people are likely to have it than what’s actually reported.

All we can do is hope those people restrict their movements.

I was talking to neighbour the other morning while he was getting in to his car he was going to karate classes some lad is still running in a shed out the back of his house and my neighbour said there are loads training there. He's in his late 50's and there he was heading off coughing and sputtering. I told the the rest of the family not to talk to him or his family now till this whole thing is over. Some people just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Has there been any anti mask phtlotaí rocking up to any of the businesses locally looking for an argument?

Tesco only recently have put in a big blue sign indicating masks must be worn; it's to the left hand side of the red/green LED display indicating when the store has reached capacity; I think, excluding staff, it's 140; Fairgreen've removed their crowd control barriers too.

ALDI traffic lights haven't been red in recent days when I've been there; their limit is lower, something like 40-50 tops excluding staff (all 5-6 of them ha ha!).

Have seen various anti Covid graffiti on poles & the various Covid signage around the town defaced too, damaged & even removed in some cases but most people seem compliant enough thankfully bar incidences like above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Has there been any anti mask phtlotaí rocking up to any of the businesses locally looking for an argument?

Tesco only recently have put in a big blue sign indicating masks must be worn; it's to the left hand side of the red/green LED display indicating when the store has reached capacity; I think, excluding staff, it's 140; Fairgreen've removed their crowd control barriers too.

ALDI traffic lights haven't been red in recent days when I've been there; their limit is lower, something like 40-50 tops excluding staff (all 5-6 of them ha ha!).

Have seen various anti Covid graffiti on poles & the various Covid signage around the town defaced too, damaged & even removed in some cases but most people seem compliant enough thankfully bar incidences like above.

ALDI is pretty bad for having people in there without masks. Any time I'm in there I see at least 2 or 3. Doesn't seem to happen in the other shops, Ive seen people been turned away from the door at Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Real Life wrote: »
    ALDI is pretty bad for having people in there without masks. Any time I'm in there I see at least 2 or 3. Doesn't seem to happen in the other shops, Ive seen people been turned away from the door at Dunnes.

I'm not sure how to word it in a pc way but I have noticed a lot of non mask wearers are eastern european and they're pretty common customers. I'm not detracting from our own home grown kind gob****es either just something I've noticed, more so at the school when picking up the kids.

The ones who don't wear masks will be the first to blame the government for the whole mess they don't believe in taking personal responsibility at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Supervalu yesterday, someone in the queue at checkout, no mask & nothing about it from staff. Having said that I think Supervalu is one of the worse supermarkets in town as regards allowing numbers in, no one way system in the shop, when you walk in you can literally cut straight across to your left to those on their way out, ‘hand sanitizer station’ is disgusting, empty bottles & overflowing tissue bins.
    Also, what’s the story with couples & families out walking in 2’s & 3’s abreast & staying that way when other pedestrians approach, it’s very annoying & frustrating, especially when you have it drilled into your own, ‘single file’ 🀯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Carlow is now third most infected county in Ireland :-(

• Advertisement

September1 wrote: »

All you/we can do is try to avoid crowds of people but that's hard to do within a 5km limit.
    Like the previous poster said, supermarkets are super spreaders.
    Not to mention the industrial estates and business parks that employ a lot of factory workers who have been deemed 'essential workers'.
    Carlow numbers have been consistently high all winter, ever since that disastrous reopening of the hospitality sector back in December, coupled with the low temperatures and pissy weather lately.
    Just have a read of the Wexford and Waterford covid threads, as bad as things are in Carlow, it's the same story everywhere as to why everything has turned to sh!t.

Don't despair. Have faith in your own belief that'll you survive being from Carlow!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

But it is improving rapidly .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

I presume you mean the Aldi in town as anytime I've been to the one in Graigue, everyone has been wearing a mask as well as plenty of hand sanitizer.

votecounts wrote: »
    I presume you mean the Aldi in town as anytime I've been to the one in Graigue, everyone has been wearing a mask as well as plenty of hand sanitizer.

The one in town I'm more familiar with (though I've been frequenting Graigue ove past 2-3 months too) & there seems far less compliance than Graigue alright or even in Tesco which is fully compliant from my experience.

It's down to ALDI security (1) & management/staff I guess but if they're not willing & we're all reluctant to make a scene (however politely, you just know these f'ers will live-stream/record you, start shouting & bang on about their human rights & that they'll sue etc.).

No I actually meant Graigue, Im rarely in the one in town. The majority of people definitely do wear masks but there's always a few in there not. I have seen one of the staff say it to someone one day but there's probably not much else they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

No I actually meant Graigue, Im rarely in the one in town. The majority of people definitely do wear masks but there's always a few in there not. I have seen one of the staff say it to someone one day but there's probably not much else they can do.

Only ones I ever see not wearing a mask on a regular basis in the graiguecullen Aldi are from an ethnic group, but even then it's only a small number.

More likely to see non mask wearers later in the evening in my experience, either they are choosing to shop at a later hour or they forgot/lost their mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

denis160 wrote: »
    Supervalu yesterday, someone in the queue at checkout, no mask & nothing about it from staff.
    ALDI is pretty bad for having people in there without masks. Any time I'm in there I see at least 2 or 3.
    The one in town I'm more familiar with (though I've been frequenting Graigue ove past 2-3 months too) & there seems far less compliance than Graigue alright or even in Tesco which is fully compliant from my experience.

I'm not saying this is the case with all non-mask wearers but there are exemptions when it comes to the legal requirement to wear masks in shops and businesses. If someone has a medical reason (physical/mental) they are not legally required to wear a mask.

My other point is that if a person walks into a shop without a mask and tells shop staff that they can't wear a mask for medical reasons, the shop staff have to take them at their word. They aren't allowed to ask what the medical reason is or ask for proof.

Chances are that the person you see not wearing the mask is either an ar5ehole or has a medical reason for not wearing it. I fear many of those who don't wear masks fall into the first category.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not saying this is the case with all non-mask wearers but there are exemptions when it comes to the legal requirement to wear masks in shops and businesses. If someone has a medical reason (physical/mental) they are not legally required to wear a mask.

My other point is that if a person walks into a shop without a mask and tells shop staff that they can't wear a mask for medical reasons, the shop staff have to take them at their word. They aren't allowed to ask what the medical reason is or ask for proof.

Chances are that the person you see not wearing the mask is either an ar5ehole or has a medical reason for not wearing it. I fear many of those who don't wear masks fall into the first category.

In addition to your last point can I add ".....and you just know they want a confrontation to record/live-stream it for their 15 seconds of shame"?

Not sure has this "phenomenon" arrived in Co. Carlow yet; there are a few I'd be aware of who don't subscribe to mask wearing in the town but not naming names as it's not a thing on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

To balance that argument the shop is also not legally required to allow entry to anyone that doesn't comply with a store policy. There are very very few genuine people that cannot wear a mask for medical reasons. These few people are the ones that are at a highest risk at the moment and should not be entering a store full of people, it's basically a petri dish.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    To balance that argument the shop is also not legally required to allow entry to anyone that doesn't comply with a store policy. There are very very few genuine people that cannot wear a mask for medical reasons. These few people are the ones that are at a highest risk at the moment and should not be entering a store full of people, it's basically a petri dish.

Ah yeah, I know there are very few genuine people who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons but there are some who are genuine.

And if a store denied entry to someone with a valid medical reason for not wearing a mask, then the store could be facing a claim for discrimination based on (medical) disability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

I've stopped shopping in Tesco due to the crowds in there. Dodging 5-7 families of shoppers per aisle. I know they have a stop go system but it definitely gets turned off or frozen on green when it suits!

Ah yeah, I know there are very few genuine people who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons but there are some who are genuine.

And if a store denied entry to someone with a valid medical reason for not wearing a mask, then the store could be facing a claim for discrimination based on (medical) disability.

For this reason it is a very tricky situation. But I do think the majority not wearing masks have no good reason. I know of a number of people myself from Carlow who post a lot of conspiracy theories about the pandemic and how our rights are being taken away etc and are completely opposed to wearing masks and vaccines, this includes members of my family (cousins, not immediate family.)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I've stopped shopping in Tesco due to the crowds in there. Dodging 5-7 families of shoppers per aisle. I know they have a stop go system but it definitely gets turned off or frozen on green when it suits!

I’ve seen it going red & people still keep walking in & security have said nothing.

Have yet to see a claim for such discrimination; we're 10 months into this pandemic so what's taking people?

Or are they all just spoofers?

I mean most of those saying they'll sure have live-streamed/recorded & uploaded their experiences to social media so they have the "evidence".

Again the genuine people if refused should sue; the flipside of that is there are shopping hours (admittedly probably not well policed by store security & at unsocial hours but still...) set aside for vulnerable people so they are being accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Why are the numbers so high in the adjoining Carlow and Athy LEA's, Carlow at 1117, and Athy at 1160, per 100,000 population for the last fortnight, while the national average is 721, I haven't heard of any super spreader events in either area, and have been in both towns recently through work, and there are very few people around.

Have yet to see a claim for such discrimination; we're 10 months into this pandemic so what's taking people?

Or are they all just spoofers?

I mean most of those saying they'll sure have live-streamed/recorded & uploaded their experiences to social media so they have the "evidence".

Again the genuine people if refused should sue; the flipside of that is there are shopping hours (admittedly probably not well policed by store security & at unsocial hours but still...) set aside for vulnerable people so they are being accommodated.

The people who genuinely can't wear a mask for medical reasons aren't the gobsh1tes posting stuff on social media.

Why are the numbers so high in the adjoining Carlow and Athy LEA's, Carlow at 1117, and Athy at 1160, per 100,000 population for the last fortnight, while the national average is 721, I haven't heard of any super spreader events in either area, and have been in both towns recently through work, and there are very few people around.

I've no proof but talk around the place is blaming a big funeral near me as being responsible for "a hape" of cases. Would that count as a super spreader event?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Carlow today has become second most infected county in Ireland, I wonder if we will require level 5 to be extended here beyond early March.

Carlow today has become second most infected county in Ireland, I wonder if we will require level 5 to be extended here beyond early March.

Officially 2400 cases, but probably much higher because they haven't been testing close contacts since before Xmas.

According to the Data Hub, 500 cases in the last 2 weeks, again probably much higher, the 14 day incidence rate tripled in the last 2 weeks for all 3 LEA's.

If we had a level 10 the subhumans of Carlow would still find ways to infect each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

46 cases reported in Carlow this evening. What the hell is going on here? Crazy high numbers.

Advertisement