Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19 in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

dublincelt wrote: »
    46 cases reported in Carlow this evening. What the hell is going on here? Crazy high numbers.

People are getting lax with the whole social distancing thing.

The mother of one of my friends is sick in hospital with COVID. They were trying to figure out where she got it because she hasn't been leaving the house and the only other person calling in to her was her son (and he has been very careful too).

The upshot of it all is that his Aunt called in to see how her sister was getting on and if she needed anything. So this calling in to help is actually what gave my mate's Mother the virus.

Turns out this Aunt called into another relative's house on the same day and gave that family the virus too.

That's just one example of how lots of people aren't getting the whole social distancing thing. I get that it's difficult, but people are being careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

dublincelt wrote: »
    46 cases reported in Carlow this evening. What the hell is going on here? Crazy high numbers.

Once it gets into the community it spreads as was seen in Monaghan and Cavan. It's luck that has kept the figures low because one of the things this virus has uncovered is the percentage of assholes we have in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I guess only thing we could actually do is to keep pressing our TDs for restrictions in Carlow to be kept when rest of country starts to ease them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

September1 wrote: »
    I guess only thing we could actually do is to keep pressing our TDs for restrictions in Carlow to be kept when rest of country starts to ease them off.

On the grounds that a few nursing homes and healthcare settings have Covid . Just obey the rules and you will have more chance of winning the Eire Og Draw than getting Covid .

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    On the grounds that a few nursing homes and healthcare settings have Covid . Just obey the rules and you will have more chance of winning the Eire Og Draw than getting Covid .

This is not about me, but about everyone in Carlow. You, your family, your friends deserve to be safe and protected. We need our county to be more restricted, as week after week we are one of most infected in the whole country. Extending lockdown is something that could be beneficial for everybody here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

If I actually said what I thought of this then I most likely would be banned .

Suffice to say that hiding under the bedsheets has never been a solution to any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GreenRdBoy

After a few very bad weeks, we got a day without a single case in Carlow. 7th Feb. Whats rare is wonderful but its a step in the right direction. Likely more high numbers coming but good to get this day

GreenRdBoy wrote: »
    After a few very bad weeks, we got a day without a single case in Carlow. 7th Feb. Whats rare is wonderful but its a step in the right direction. Likely more high numbers coming but good to get this day

Are all close contacts still not being tested? If that's the case, then the figures aren't correct as they won't be detecting asymptomatic cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Mass Vaccination centres for the CW-KK constituency as per a KCLR News Report @ 4pm.

Cillin/Cilin Hill for there and an, as yet unnamed, hotel in Carlow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Mass Vaccination centres for the CW-KK constituency as per a KCLR News Report @ 4pm.

Cillin/Cilin Hill for there and an, as yet unnamed, hotel in Carlow town.

Would it not be a clever idea to just use the drive through testing centre for a drive through vaccine centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Would it not be a clever idea to just use the drive through testing centre for a drive through vaccine centre?

They need you to sit and wait for half an hour after the jab to make sure there is no reaction so I imagine somewhere like one of the hotels would be better and warmer.

However you would think they would use the big building behind the test centre that would be more suited than a hotel.

If I actually said what I thought of this then I most likely would be banned .

Suffice to say that hiding under the bedsheets has never been a solution to any problem.

I'm not sure if we are disagreement. I'm against hiding and completely support taking a difficult actions, such as extending and expanding restrictions. If you look at numbers Carlow is one of few counties were infection rates are actually on the raise, so we should really take action now, instead of pretending there is no problem.

I'm not sure if we are disagreement. I'm against hiding and completely support taking a difficult actions, such as extending and expanding restrictions. If you look at numbers Carlow is one of few counties were infection rates are actually on the raise, so we should really take action now, instead of pretending there is no problem.
    Think these restrictions are a complete joke at this stage to be honest.
    Not one person I know is actually paying the slightest attention to many of them esp. the 5k rule or the non essential travel bit.
    Most I see at this stage are a lot less fussy regarding hand sanitising and wiping down trolleys in shops.
    It seems people just mask up as they enter the shop .
    The bill for all this will have to be paid at some stage.
    For all this lockdown etc more and more of thr people actually at risk ie those in nursing homes are still getting it.
    Whats the point of a lot of this if they still are unable to actually keep nursing homes and hospitals covid free ?
    Every single person I know who caught it did so in a health care setting.

Not one person I know is actually paying the slightest attention to many of them esp. the 5k rule or the non essential travel bit.
    Most I see at this stage are a lot less fussy regarding hand sanitising and wiping down trolleys in shops.
    For all this lockdown etc more and more of thr people actually at risk ie those in nursing homes are still getting it.
    Whats the point of a lot of this if they still are unable to actually keep nursing homes and hospitals covid free ?

What do you suggest? A free-for-all? That's what happened at Christmas and look what happened.

The restrictions are fine. It's the people's fault for ignoring them.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What do you suggest? A free-for-all? That's what happened at Christmas and look what happened.

The restrictions are fine. It's the people's fault for ignoring them.

Where was this free for all at Christmas ?
    I didn't see anything any different to the preceding few months.

Restrictions are being ignored in reality and any laws (?) that are seen as wholesale unworkable are a waste of time.Most people know that the chances of covid having any impact on them is very slight.
    We were told that the idea was to protect those in nursing homes and the very elderly so you would imagine almost a year into this thing they would/should have figured out how to do that.Same with hospitals.
    Looks like its those that are tasked with working in those settings are the ones causing the problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

None of my friends are breaking any of the rules.

I have lost two friends to Covid, both under 50, neither in a health care situation and without the infamous "underlying conditions."

I know several other people who contracted Covid and many months later are left with health issues that may be permanent.So it's not all about nursing homes and very old people which is a message that doesn't seem to be getting through.

Where was this free for all at Christmas ?

I didn't see anything any different to the preceding few months.

Shops like Pennys were closed in the months coming up to Christmas. They were opened in December and the queues more or less wrapped around the building, and people weren't always socially distanced in the queues either.

More pubs were open, lots of things opened up in December.

There were queues in most shops coming up to Christmas.
    Restrictions are being ignored in reality and any laws (?) that are seen as wholesale unworkable are a waste of time.Most people know that the chances of covid having any impact on them is very slight.

You mightn't be in much danger from it but who is to say I wouldn't die if I get it. I've a few very mild underlying medical conditions so who knows. It's not a chance I want to take.

I don't think the restrictions/laws are a waste of time. It's people not following them is what's causing the lockdowns to go on for so long.
    We were told that the idea was to protect those in nursing homes and the very elderly so you would imagine almost a year into this thing they would/should have figured out how to do that.Same with hospitals.
    Looks like its those that are tasked with working in those settings are the ones causing the problem.

Agreed, there should have been/still needs to be more effort in keeping people in nursing homes and hospitals safe. That said, people still have to go in and out of nursing homes and hospitals. Staff, delivery people, medical staff, patients etc. And these staff, delivery people, medical staff, patients etc. have families so it's impossible to create a 100% impenetrable bubble. Hopefully the vaccine will help.

None of my friends are breaking any of the rules.

I have lost two friends to Covid, both under 50, neither in a health care situation and without the infamous "underlying conditions."

I know several other people who contracted Covid and many months later are left with health issues that may be permanent.So it's not all about nursing homes and very old people which is a message that doesn't seem to be getting through.

Not going to get into a back and forth with you re. Covid but to be honest know nobody following all these guidelines 100%.Then perhaps that's me or the people I know.
    Anyone I heard of dying with Covid were in a nursing home and were either there years or were of a very advanced age.
    Know lots who tested positive and of those who actually felt ill said it was no worse than a heavy cold.
    These include a neighbour who contacted it about a month prior to their 100th birthday and a parent (got it in hospital) who would have a serious amount of medical problems and to be honest had no real effect on them.

To me it is all about the nursing homes.We all read these stories in the media re people under 60 dying of Covid but the reality is that people under 60 die every year Covid or no Covid.
    The vast vast majority of those that have died of Covid were nursing home residents and whatever way people may spin it thats a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Can I just say Paddysdream, take a moment to realise how blessed you are that Covid-19 hasn't taken your health, your friends or your relatives, it has done for many many people across the globe.
    I do know personally perfect healthy, fit young people completely floored and hospitalised due to Covid, still struggling to recover.
    I'm early 40s and only last week a wonderful person I went to college with lost their battle with Covid.
    I'm blessed, it wasn't me and it wasn't my family but it is very real and you are very lucky it has not landed on your doorstep. May your good fortune continue!
    Not going to get into a back and forth with you re. Covid but to be honest know nobody following all these guidelines 100%.Then perhaps that's me or the people I know.
    Anyone I heard of dying with Covid were in a nursing home and were either there years or were of a very advanced age.
    Know lots who tested positive and of those who actually felt ill said it was no worse than a heavy cold.
    These include a neighbour who contacted it about a month prior to their 100th birthday and a parent (got it in hospital) who would have a serious amount of medical problems and to be honest had no real effect on them.

To me it is all about the nursing homes.We all read these stories in the media re people under 60 dying of Covid but the reality is that people under 60 die every year Covid or no Covid.
    The vast vast majority of those that have died of Covid were nursing home residents and whatever way people may spin it thats a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

I can name 6 people who got it, 1 of whom died
    • 2 essential workers, one got it from a colleague who was a non-handwasher, the other from their child who brought it home from creche
    • a priest who gave last rites early in the pandemic to a young person
    • a bus driver
    • an admin person is a hospital (she has no idea how she picked it up)
    • a shop worker

None of them had been near a nursing home. All were 55 and younger, chap who died had a heart condition but it was being managed. 2 were hospitalised

What people fail to realise is that the restrictions exist not just to keep people safe but also to keep people out of hospital so that beds can be used for other people who should be in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

• 2 essential workers, one got it from a colleague who was a non-handwasher, the other from their child who brought it home from creche
    • a bus driver
    • a shop worker

None of them had been near a nursing home. All were 55 and younger, chap who died had a heart condition but it was being managed. 2 were hospitalised

What people fail to realise is that the restrictions exist not just to keep people safe but also to keep people out of hospital so that beds can be used for other people who should be in there.

This seems to be the big thing people don't understand.

I also can't understand how easily people write off others just because they have an underlying condition. They're still people too, who most of the time should have plenty of life left in them, they aren't just statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Real Life wrote: »
    This seems to be the big thing people don't understand.

I also can't understand how easily people write off others just because they have an underlying condition. They're still people too, who most of the time should have plenty of life left in them, they aren't just statistics.

Exactly, I also wonder how many people found out the hard way that they had an underlying condition only after they contacted Covid?

• a bus driver
    • a shop worker

I know heaps who tested positive ,at this stage probably in excess of 100.Mainly people aged 40 plus .Know of one who went to hospital and were in ICU I think.
    Everyone of them are out and about and not a bother on them.
    Know a few who died of/with Covid .All these ,without exception ,were in poor health,aged 75 plus and either in hospital or nursing home.Most were long term residents in a nursing home.

Not writing off someone just because they are elderly but people die each and every day ,and yes,before you ask ,we do put a price on peoples lives.Otherwise the health service would have unlimited funding and no drug would be too expensive .

If we are going to try and negate every risk in life then perhaps we should all lock ourselves away and shout out through the window.

These restrictions have had little if any effect on my day to day life.Only thing different is that I haven't had a pint since last March but then that's not an issue as wouldn't even bother having a can etc at home.
    Apart from wearing a mask when entering a shop/premises nothing else .Well schools closed at the moment so have a bit of home schooling on the go here as well.

Even so do wonder who will foot the bill for all this when its over.
    At this stage no politician can afford to hold their hands up and say "whoops we really took the wrong approach" as it would be electoral suicide.

The HSE got their time to prepare last year and how did that work out ?
    Most routine procedures have either been cancelled or postponed at this stage.We seem to a system focused on Covid to what seems like the almost total exclusion of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Beauchamp Bagenal

This thread is well depressing to read, and rightly so.
    I had 6 neighbours and 4 old friends pass away last year, but covid wasn't a factor in any of their deaths.
    Didn't go to their wakes or funerals either out of the fear of contracting this virus.
    Being calling into the local graveyard to say hellos and goodbyes on my own time.
    There's fcuk all else I can do but try to survive the effect of covid on society and humanity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

2 friends dead with Covid, one 43 , the other 52. Don’t tell me it’s “ flu.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

2 friends dead with Covid, one 43 , the other 52. Don’t tell me it’s “ flu.”

Sorry to hear that.

19 more cases in Carlow today, where are they all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I'm not surprised with carlow having high numbers I am working across from st mary's cemetery, this week alone I seen two massive funerals with no joking at least 200+ at both.

I lost a cousin who was 48 in the summer from covid it boils my blood when you see all the people in groups around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Seven Oaks is the Carlow vaccination centre; Cilin Hill for Kilkenny.

I notice that on some days infection rate increases in Carlow, government really needs to step up and increase restrictions and enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

I notice that on some days infection rate increases in Carlow, government really needs to step up and increase restrictions and enforcement.

Or people could have some cop on. Was in the aldi up by the bus park Saturday morning and it was packed.

I'm over in Graigue and plenty of teenagers hanging around in groups.

Advertisement