Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

McGaggs wrote: »
    Is there a way of doing this with Avant card?

In their FAQ section on the website it says you can pay your bill at a post office so you could lodge cash/a cheque there i suppose. Details should be on your latest statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Ogham wrote: »
    You would be able to show bank statements to any lender that wanted them - so they should have no reason not to lend you.
    Mortgage lenders want your business - they shouldn't care where you have your current account .
    N26 is a fully licenced EU bank - the same as all the "traditional" ones.

Yes I can confirm this isn’t a problem. N26 is a safer bet, but those days they even tend to look at Revolut accounts in the same way as a regular current account (although technically they aren’t).

They have no choice - this is what many younger prospect mortgage customers are coming with (and as you said there is no reason for banks to ignore their business)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Has anyone had issues getting paid via payroll to n26?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If your employer has an outdated payroll system/process whereby they can only pay money to Irish accounts, it could be an issue (it has happened to some).

But in most cases it is fine, and it should be less and less of an issue as time goes by (plus while there is not much you could do about it if they insist, it would be illegal for an employer to refuse paying you to any SEPA account of your liking).

I did.....HR said 'computer says no'...I insisted they had to accept a DE IBAN and the payroll provider suddenly found a work around.

Eir used to have an issue as did the national lottery app,both now support n26 and Revolut.

Changed mortgage provider last year and has to give the new lender n26 statements, no problem whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

So glad I switched, closed my AIB account in early December and got a letter on Friday showing they never closed it and the account went into minus because of all the fees and 2 subscriptions I hadn't moved over (figured anything I forgot would send me an email once the AIB account is closed). Now I need to sort that mess out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    So glad I switched, closed my AIB account in early December and got a letter on Friday showing they never closed it and the account went into minus because of all the fees and 2 subscriptions I hadn't moved over (figured anything I forgot would send me an email once the AIB account is closed). Now I need to sort that mess out.
    I'm going in tomorrow to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

Tried that form but wont acknowledge any Irish bank unfortunately .Maybe its just for German accounts. Would have been very handy.

Kenny,

did you manually have to do it in the end as some have done, I have just created a new account myself but now I find I will have update DD.

The automatic one seems to be only German Banks alright.
    They also have the following form as a template.

https://docs.n26.com/transfer/Template-bank-account-change.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is there a daily limit for bank transfers? Im buying a car soon and my other account with KBC has a daily limit of €15000(3x5000) which isnt enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

adox wrote: »
    Is there a daily limit for bank transfers? Im buying a car soon and my other account with KBC has a daily limit of €15000(3x5000) which isnt enough.

They have no limit according to this:
    https://support.n26.com/en-eu/payments-transfers-and-withdrawals/balance-and-limits/what-is-the-maximum-i-can-spend

On another note, I'm also with KBC and recently had the same issue paying a house deposit. If you call into a hub they can action a higher payment for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 j.quinn.esq

Have been using them since june 2019, hundreds of transactions big and small, in and outside the country in person and online, and have had zero problems.
    Would 100% recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

fearrchair wrote: »
    Kenny,

did you manually have to do it in the end as some have done, I have just created a new account myself but now I find I will have update DD.

The automatic one seems to be only German Banks alright.
    They also have the following form as a template.

https://docs.n26.com/transfer/Template-bank-account-change.pdf

I asked both their main n26 account and n26 support accounts on twitter about whether we'll be getting this option in Ireland - sadly they didn't reply. That was about a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Thewitheredowl

Have been using them since june 2019, hundreds of transactions big and small, in and outside the country in person and online, and have had zero problems.
    Would 100% recommend

Would second this, using since Oct 20 for all my transaction and it has been faultless. I pay €5 a month for the 10 spaces, and it works great. Even the most basic of functions like being able to search for a company name and you can see all your transactions with them instantly makes such a difference. BOI, which is who I was with, are a long way behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Is there any clear table comparing the different plans. The app isn’t much use to compare side by side and seems to miss some details

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

Has anyone been able to set up direct debits from N26? I tried to sign up for Vodafone broadband today but they refused to set up the direct debit using my DE IBAN, even after I showed them the relevant page on the Central Bank's website. I pay a credit union loan monthly by DD too. If N26 can handle these two things, I'll be able to close my PTSB account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

jrmb wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to set up direct debits from N26? I tried to sign up for Vodafone broadband today but they refused to set up the direct debit using my DE IBAN, even after I showed them the relevant page on the Central Bank's website. I pay a credit union loan monthly by DD too. If N26 can handle these two things, I'll be able to close my PTSB account.

Sign up to Vodafone with your PTSB account and than send them the paper based direct debit mandate you can download from their webpage.

They are not obliged to accept electronic instructions but paper based instructions they can not refuse.

I paid Vodafone from a German account after I threatened them to take them to court. Just be persistent they can accept it, their system allows it.

It a bad process that you have to work around like that but it works for most vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Can you please flag this breach of law to the CCPC:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/report-a-business-to-the-ccpc/

The only way we change this behavior is to report these businesses to the correct authority.

user1842 wrote: »

The only way we change this behavior is to report these businesses to the correct authority.

It's not a breach as such, they will accept non Irish IBAN's. However in line with the regulations they can ask you for a paper based mandate.

However you can not sign up online for the discounts unless you can agree to an electronic direct debit.

So you can walk into a Vodafone Store and sign up there with a paper based mandate and pay the higher prices in store.

There is nothing in legislation stopping companies to do this unfortunatly, the CCPC knows this and a complaint will go nowhere.

The only workaround to get it done online is to sign up with an IE account and than change it via a paper mandate.

That is until regulation is introduced that forces companies to accept electronic instructions for non Irish accounts.

Sneaky it is, but the CCPC will do nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

Hey, so I was in a similar situation.

Closed my BOI current account. Kept the credit card account.

Get my salary into N26 now

DD to Credit Union savings was not possible. But i just manually do it the morning I get paid using my CU IBAN & BIC. You can also schedule transfers on N26 but I have not done that.
    It is really easy done, just scroll to previous transfer, hit send again, enter amount.

Moved all my bills on to my BOI CC account as Irish IBAN and some places would not accept N26, like yourelf. Every pay day transfer total cost of bills for the month.
    Each CC has Irish IBAN BIC. Just remember to enter the credit card number in the reference section or else it will bounce back. Also use this account the odd time i need to lodge cash.

Delighted I moved to be honest. Finding it a lot easier to keep track of spending etc

Thanks for your responses.
    Sign up to Vodafone with your PTSB account and than send them the paper based direct debit mandate you can download from their webpage.

I did this as a workaround and then changed my default method to my N26 debit card for the time being, but the fact remains that someone who doesn't have and doesn't want an Irish account couldn't have registered, which is against the rules.
    user1842 wrote: »

Yes, you're right. I did that yesterday and they wrote back today. They've told me that it's correct to say that the cost and process for Vodafone is the same for all SEPA transfers. They've advised me to ask Vodafone on what legal grounds they wouldn't accept the N26 IBAN, and to contact the CCPC again if their response isn't satisfactory.
    It's not a breach as such, they will accept non Irish IBAN's. However in line with the regulations they can ask you for a paper based mandate.

In my case the agent didn't do this. (S)He insisted on an Irish IBAN to complete the registration.
    Julabo wrote: »
    Moved all my bills on to my BOI CC account as Irish IBAN and some places would not accept N26, like yourelf. Every pay day transfer total cost of bills for the month.

I used to do this with Eir, but I would transfer the €40 on salary day and they would take €40 by direct debit later in the month anyway.

Edit: Sorry Julabo, I'd misunderstood your post. I could do this, but if I keep an Irish account, I'll be paying fees unnecessarily because companies aren't abiding by the rules. If a local bank were as reliable and reasonable as N26, I'd use it instead.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your responses.

I did this as a workaround and then changed my default method to my N26 debit card for the time being, but the fact remains that someone who doesn't have and doesn't want an Irish account couldn't have registered, which is against the rules.

Yes, you're right. I did that yesterday and they wrote back today. They've told me that it's correct to say that the cost and process for Vodafone is the same for all SEPA transfers. They've advised me to ask Vodafone on what legal grounds they wouldn't accept the N26 IBAN, and to contact the CCPC again if their response isn't satisfactory.

In my case the agent didn't do this. (S)He insisted on an Irish IBAN to complete the registration.

I used to do this with Eir, but I would transfer the €40 on salary day and they would take €40 by direct debit later in the month anyway.

Edit: Sorry Julabo, I'd misunderstood your post. I could do this, but if I keep an Irish account, I'll be paying fees unnecessarily because companies aren't abiding by the rules. If a local bank were as reliable and reasonable as N26, I'd use it instead.

Why not switch to another mobile provider if they won't accept your N26 details, you may even get a better deal on your mobile. The more people who do this thd better, they might update their crappy billing service.

Why not switch to another mobile provider if they won't accept your N26 details, you may even get a better deal on your mobile. The more people who do this thd better, they might update their crappy billing service.
    I'm actually switching home broadband before the bill increases to €80/month, and Eir didn't want to accept a DD from N26 last year either.

It's a persistent issue across banks and payment services in Ireland. The Irish banks' proposed instant transfer app couldn't be assessed by the CCPC recently, when a free, instant, pan-European network already exists. We won't get to enjoy the full benefits of SEPA membership if we don't insist on them, particularly when the service provider won't lose anything if we do.

Vodafone will take your written instructions to debit your N26 account. Send them the required form.

Loads of people pay their vodafone bill from N26 or Revolut. It works fine.

The issue is that online singup requires that you sign up for direct debit but the regulations at the moment allow for a paper mandate for non Irish accounts.

Hence you can not sign up with an N26 account.

Some companies found a way around that by depositing a small amount onto your account for validation that you confirm but other require that a paper mandate is send.

Other companies require a deposit until you send the paper mandate.

The regulations allow for that paper mandate hence this strange behavior for sign up.

The regulator will come back to you with the same answer once you give them more than "they did not take my IBAN".

The regulator will come back to you with the same answer once you give them more than "they did not take my IBAN".
    With respect, they didn't. They recommended a formal complaint. Neither Vodafone nor the CCPC mentioned paper mandates.

I'm actually switching home broadband before the bill increases to €80/month, and Eir didn't want to accept a DD from N26 last year either.

It's a persistent issue across banks and payment services in Ireland. The Irish banks' proposed instant transfer app couldn't be assessed by the CCPC recently, when a free, instant, pan-European network already exists. We won't get to enjoy the full benefits of SEPA membership if we don't insist on them, particularly when the service provider won't lose anything if we do.

Fill this out and post back, worked for me with eir and N26.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/sepa-international-direct-debit.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiZ89zLh8LuAhXjRRUIHQMSBzEQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0BrEh5_xX2yndp7cCY7M05

With respect, they didn't. They recommended a formal complaint. Neither Vodafone nor the CCPC mentioned paper mandates.

Than log a formal complaint and see what their formal response is to your specific issue that Vodafone does not let you sign up for a contract online with a SEPA direct debit.

Or save yourself hassle and time, download the SEPA mandate and send it in:

http://www.vodafone.ie/download?id=BAU022631

Vodafone takes non Irish accounts without a problem.

If I am not mistaken their new billing system will also allow it online soon.

I am paid my Vodafone from my German account for along period of time. Sure setting it up was a hassle back than but now it's easy.

The problem is the sign up process which is not allowing non Irish accounts at the moment.

The problem is the sign up process which is not allowing non Irish accounts at the moment.

This means they insist that prospective clients have an Irish account, which they haven't been permitted to do for years. Changing the details later is a different thing.

This means they insist that prospective clients have an Irish account, which they haven't been permitted to do for years.

Yes that is the problem and that requires that someone logs a formal complaint about that specific issue to get the regulator and goverment to address it.

But that is different than xxxx does not want to take my non Irish account when I change banks. That very much has been settled.

There is a thread somewhere which shows which companies required what but I think that has not seen updates in a while as most now either allow it one or via paper.

The challange of not taking it during sign up for fraud protection or credit assessment purposes however has not yet settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Strange. I had no problem getting eir to set up a DD from a bunq account with a Dutch IBAN.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    Strange. I had no problem getting eir to set up a DD from a bunq account with a Dutch IBAN.
    It's been a year, so they might have caught up. Did you give them the Bunq IBAN when you were signing up, out send them a mandate after you signed up?

I have the My Vodafone account now, and it still tells me that the N26 IBAN has an "invalid format". They'll accept a debit card payment, though.

Advertisement