Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Someone over on the CRT Gaming subreddit managed to pick up a Sony Trinitron KV-36FV310 for ten dollars.

I've seen pictures of them before, but the scale with a person beside it is new to me, the bloody size of the thing!

36 inches of 4:3

m73h22pe3ed61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    Someone over on the CRT Gaming subreddit managed to pick up a Sony Trinitron KV-36FV310 for ten dollars.

I've seen pictures of them before, but the scale with a person beside it is new to me, the bloody size of the thing!

36 inches of 4:3

m73h22pe3ed61.jpg
    Jasus, thats enough to kill several small children!
    Wonder how you'd get that up a stairs? :D

I see it accepts 1080i

Master of the Universe

Just to make it even bigger, 36 inches in US CRT size is 38 inches in EU size.

I wonder did any ever make it onto our shores?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The grundig I have is the biggest CRT I can remember seeing. The yanks so everything bigger in fairness

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

My mam just liberated one of my childhood CRTs from my grandparents house. A little 14 inch PYE portable. Absolute workhorse so it was.

Played everything on this from my Aunt's Atari 2600 and Sega Megadrive up to Gran Turismo on the PS1. In fact the first time I ever played Gran Turismo was on this CRT as my grandparents gave it to me for my birthday one year, along with the Dual Shock pad.

Switched on perfectly, first time.

Screenshot-20210609-154144.png

Fancy OSD version :D

IMG-20210609-WA0003.jpg

Genuinely more excited to get my hands on this than a lot of my pro monitors. To top it all of, it's RF only :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    Genuinely more excited to get my hands on this than a lot of my pro monitors. To top it all of, it's RF only :pac:
    First project, see if you can mod it to take RGB :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perfect for an old Pong console!
    I've an ancient 12" b&w tv from the 70s and it's perfect for the Atari Pong console I imported from the States.
    In fact, it's the only tv it works properly on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Got a SCART to BNC adapter earlier in the week so took some time to tinker with the monitor I got off o1s1n.

I'm running on very little sleep, so the issue below took me longer to figure out than I would've liked. The blues over RGB were all wrong, so I started to calibrate gain to sort it but it just wouldn't work. Note the extra blue on the side of white bars.

556126.jpeg

This is the same thing over composite

556125.jpeg

So, turns out, the out ports for RGB are a little... fragile. I replugged the terminator in blue and sorted it! (The CRT is running a real SNES, the monitor a MiSTer)

Then I had to dial back the gain on green and blue... It's better in person, but I think I'll leave it at this point for now...

556127.jpeg

Master of the Universe

Nothing quite like when a bit of CRT calibration comes together, glad you got sorted!

Really looks lovely and I'm regretting selling it already :D

• Advertisement

So my good Sony CRT has a PSU issue. Keeps turning on and off. Now usually I'd just replace it with something else but it's a KV29 so going to look about getting it sorted out.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction for parts etc? Or just a case of get it open and see what comes out

https://youtube.com/shorts/NSiZnpz_hIM?feature=share

So I picked up that beast of a PVM the weekend.

Now it's time to get my permanent CRT setup going. Been chopping and changing things for a while now but time to get things sorted.

So I need a scart switcher and a bunch of console RGB cables.

The switcher probably the most important for the PVM. I don't have tons of money to spend to the Amazing switchers that are €100+ are out for me.

I was thinking about risking it all on one of the AliExpress ones? No idea of the quality, probably ****? Might be good? Does anyone have any idea?

€ 74,01 | EUR Scart Distributor 6 input 3 output RGBS Fully Automatic Video Converter Switcher Divider board for md/sfc/ps123/ss/dc/box

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNyhSRY

RetroGamingCables are coming out with a passive, chainable switcher soon. I prefer passive, manual switches personally.

There's also this: https://otaku-games.com/6-port-rgb-scart-switch.html

They also come with an acrylic case which looks useless and I've seen some decent 3D printable ones on Thingiverse.

As for what you've linked, I'm sure it would be okay. PVMs eat up all sorts of voltages. Be careful with scalers if you also output to one of those.

And... if you ever don't want that PVM, I'll take it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Inviere

@Jack burton from memory, try find a manually switched rgb unit. The auto ones can 'leak' voltage between connected units.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The revised Hydra 2 switch is very good. Pricey, but not as pricey as the gscartsw. If you happen to be VAT registered there's some savings to be had on the site.

If going with the Otaku switch, make sure you are aware of the voltages etc. https://www.retrorgb.com/otaku-6in3out-amplified-auto-scart-switch-review.html

The hydra mini revisited looks like it would do me.

Tbh this is a rabbit hole I didn't plan on going down. I'm in the CRT Facebook group and seeing guys just spend a ton of money to get these pixel perfect setups and not actually play games on them has just soured me on it

Like for a really good picture on the pvm I need a scart switcher and some good solid RGB cables really? I know next to nothing about framemasters, scalers etc.

If you JUST want to output to your PVM, then forget about scalers. I just mentioned it because the switch you listed will output to multiple sources and some people use it for PVM or to an LCD (via a scaler) or video capture device.

Yeah just output to the PVM. I have a good lot of crts so I was thinking a 2 out spread across them would looks pretty nice. But just output to the PVM is the main thing. 3 consoles hooked up I think would be a nice little setup on it. Mega Drive, PS1/2 and a SNES

I do want to get the big pvm with the 4 smaller ones all setup for the sake of it. But I just use a composite for the smaller ones. More of a novelty thing really haha. Just run the output into one and chain them together

Having some snyc problems with the new PVM. Trying a RGB GameCube herr

Tried messing around with it and no joy. Works great on my 9 in Sony pvm.

Asked a guy I know and he said some PVMs are a bit picky with syncs. So it mightant like this PAL CG.

I'll test it out again later wity mega drive and PS1

So update on the big PVM, this is not a nice read

Tried it with the mega drive and got the picture syncd and was looking good. The blue was a big heavy and needed some geometry sorted so went about doing that.

Figured that I needed and internal pot adjustment so was seeing where to go (didn't even open the case as this point) and pop. Something went and I was left with this image

Green channel gone....ok probably a cap or something. Opened up the side panel and saw this bugger

Ok probably this **** cap causing the problem. I can fix that. No massive deal.

Said I'd check a few other bits and pieces tonight though and see if I could see any other blown caps. Had a look, saw nothing sinister. Turned it on.... sizzle, crack, pop and magic smoke released. Bad times. Still wondering where I can do from here with it. Here's the current state when I switch it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That component is an inductor, looks like it’s failed short circuit and could have caused damage to more components upstream :(

nightmare to work on without schematics

Might be of use if you have a go at the repair.

Even with schematics it's way over my skill level to repair.

Having a right **** run of luck this year. Have 3 chassis going off for repair. My MK2 board has a problem with the blue colour coming from the board. My 29 inch Sony crt psu is fucked.

I'll have to end up with grail pickup for €5 or something to balance this out 😂

Well there's a TV tech lives locally. He's a friend's dad so he's going to take a look for me.

"Im up to my eyes at the moment but I'll have a look at it but can't promise anything it's been so long since I've repaired these and of course parts are scarce"

If I can even find out what's wrong it will be a start

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭dav09

We have great fun trying to keep CRTs running, seems like one goes poof every few weeks. Donberg seems to be where a lot of people seem to get the parts or from tecknoservice in Spain or a few places in USA, not sure the exact tech in PVMs if they differ much from Arcade CRTs but in theory they shouldn't.

Nah it's pretty much the same basics but just a lot more packed into the pvms. I know a lot of the arcade chassis repair lads won't even bother with pvms since there's so much to them

Actually talking about tecknoservice. My brand new chassis from them for my MK2 had a cracked flyback. Maybe 8-10 hours of use is all. Had to to back and forth with him a bit to get a deal for the new part. Hopefully it will be here soon though

Master of the Universe

Cant believe that's happened with that monitor, really sorry to hear it :( Yeah grantspain and the likes wont touch PVMs due to all of the boards, not worth their hassle.

Fingers crossed with the TV dude, be such a shame to see something with low hours like that not fixed up.

Something similar happened to me. Steve bought the stand up Ridge Racer cab off me, and very shortly after taking delivery of it, something went pop on the chassis. Bloody things :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, sent it over to grantspain in the uk and he fixed it up.

I actually have a job for him at the moment, not sure if he's still in the game though.

Advertisement