Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HSE confirms a number of vials of COVID19 vaccine have had to be dumped

• 26-01-2021 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

HSE has confirmed that a number of vials of vaccine have had to be dumped after being incorrectly stored.

They were delivered to a nursing home in the Midlands/Louth/Meath CHO area.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354123216885850115?s=19

This is saddening and anger inducing.

Comments

I’ve been completely against the government, NPHET and HSE throughout but mistakes do happen.

It sucks but it is what it is. Hopefully lessons were learned...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I’ve been completely against the government, NPHET and HSE throughout but mistakes do happen.

Mistakes happen quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Over/under on somebody claiming they weren't dumped but given to friends and relatives? I've got 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Mistakes shouldn't happen with such a precious resource

It's unforgiveable

Somebody should be held accountable and lose their job for this 'mistake'

Then again it's Ireland so that will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

KrustyUCC wrote: »

It's unforgiveable

I'll accept a public flogging on RTE news. Might cheer us up a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

titan18 wrote: »
    I'll accept a public flogging on RTE news. Might cheer us up a bit

Ha lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

the fact they said "a number" makes me think it was a lot.

disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

always read the instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

always read the instructions
    I wonder what instructions did they receive?

Mistakes will be made alright, but it would be nice to know what the cause was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

It was 22 vials. Approx 100 doses.

Not great. Not terrible.

• Advertisement

22 vials should be at least 132 doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Seriously who is surprised, shocked or even willing to raise their eyebrows a tiny bit at the fact that the HSE screwed up, again?

Its the only thing they ever do.

They're useless, incompetent and the greatest waste of space known to man.
    I don't care how many covid-19 signs they produced last year, or how they're convinced this vaccine is the answer to everything, they will always be a bunch of inefficient middle managers each to concerned watching their own backs to actually be of any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

KrustyUCC wrote: »

It's unforgiveable

Chances are the idiot has already been given a raise and a promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

The HSE are taking the flack for this but I highly suspect it was the nursing home that farked up here.
    We’ve been told time and time again since December : you need a separate, pharmacy grade fridge with a temperature data logger for storing the vaccine and only the vaccine. Prepare it, test it, monitor it.
    Plenty of muppets thinking they could get away with a domestic fridge, or just a thermometer in a cup of water.
    I spent €1100 on a fridge and WiFi temperature data logger for a vaccine that I had custody of for less than 12 hours for this reason. That little box of vials was the most valuable thing I’ve ever held in my hands.
    We had a site visit from vaccination team a week before and the day before to check we had everything in place. This should never have happened.

The HSE are taking the flack for this but I highly suspect it was the nursing home that farked up here.
    We’ve been told time and time again since December : you need a separate, pharmacy grade fridge with a temperature data logger for storing the vaccine and only the vaccine. Prepare it, test it, monitor it.
    Plenty of muppets thinking they could get away with a domestic fridge, or just a thermometer in a cup of water.
    I spent €1100 on a fridge and WiFi temperature data logger for a vaccine that I had custody of for less than 12 hours for this reason. That little box of vials was the most valuable thing I’ve ever held in my hands.
    We had a site visit from vaccination team a week before and the day before to check we had everything in place. This should never have happened.
    So, what could have happened? Did they just forget to put the tray in the fridge overnight? Seems unlikely.

Or maybe did they take the whole tray out at the start of the day and then went over the two hour limit for the stock they hadn't used up to that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Does anyone think for one second that the HSE will rollout this vaccine without making shiyt of something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

plodder wrote: »
    So, what could have happened? Did they just forget to put the tray in the fridge overnight? Seems unlikely.

Or maybe did they take the whole tray out at the start of the day and then went over the two hour limit for the stock they hadn't used up to that point?

Wait for the incident learning notice to come from this. It won't be long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Tzardine wrote: »
    It was 22 vials. Approx 100 doses.

Not great. Not terrible.

50 people in high risk category not getting vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Lesson learned hopefully. Always going to be hiccups like this along the way unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Lesson learned hopefully. Always going to be hiccups like this along the way unfortunately.

I don't think a single country hasn't had an issue like this so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Its very unfortunate but 143000 people have been vaccinated so far - its inevitable that that there is going to be some mistakes along the way and if this 100 odd doses is the extent of it we won't be doing too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Ahh c’mon, people make mistakes, it happens. Nobody is perfect, move on. FFS.

Lose their job over something like this ? Wtf !!

plodder wrote: »

The only thing I can see going wrong is that they put it in a domestic fridge outside the parameters of 2-8 degrees meaning the vaccine clock of 6 hours would have started sometime during the night making it unusable. No excuse for it, the requirements were drilled into us.
    We had one job: keep the vaccine at the right temperature overnight until the vaccination team arrives on site.

Its very unfortunate but 143000 people have been vaccinated so far - its inevitable that that there is going to be some mistakes along the way and if this 100 odd doses is the extent of it we won't be doing too bad.

There’s 120 elderly folks and frontline workers who might feel very different about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Yes of course this is the result of this mistake....
    While things like this should not be happening (But sometime mistake will happen regardless)....

....Sure Joan, the staff Nurse, has already gathered the elderly resident's to make the announcement earlier this afternoon....

"Good morning all, unfortunately Mary the canteen lady, need some space to store here raspberry cheesecakes for todays deserts and removed all your vaccines from the fridge.....So you will now not be getting any vaccines for Covid ever.......but on a positive note, I do here the cheesecake is lovely....."

Where in reality, all this mistake has done, is delayed the rollout for these people by a few days and overall in Ireland the total rollout by a few hours...

Disclaimer:- None of the characters or events above are real and this story was based purely on a fictional nursing home....

And as I said these things should still not be happening.

There’s 120 elderly folks and frontline workers who might feel very different about this.

Any confirmation that they didn't get vaccinated? We do have a reserve of vaccines, seems like this would be the perfect excuse to crack into them.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Any confirmation that they didn't get vaccinated? We do have a reserve of vaccines, seems like this would be the perfect excuse to crack into them.

The statement says they managed to redirect 43 doses to partially vaccinate some people on site (hopefully all elderly) and the rest will need to wait for more supplies to come. Could be a week, hopefully less.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Russman wrote: »
    Ahh c’mon, people make mistakes, it happens. Nobody is perfect, move on. FFS.

Lose their job over something like this ? Wtf !!

Why not ? IF the management of the facility directly fuçked up, or failed in their duty to oversee the performance of employees that their employees were ensuring proper storage of the resources... Somebody elsewhere or indeed in that facility could loose their life over the fückup.. !

The statement says they managed to redirect 43 doses to partially vaccinate some people on site (hopefully all elderly) and the rest will need to wait for more supplies to come. Could be a week, hopefully less.

OK, well obviously someone ****ed up along the way (and it should be thoroughly investigated) but at least it wasn't a complete washout.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Why not ? IF the management of the facility directly fuçked up, or failed in their duty to oversee the performance of employees that their employees were ensuring proper storage of the resources... Somebody elsewhere or indeed in that facility could loose their life over the fückup.. !

Yer man in the Coombe nearly got lynched for using up 2 doses. This level of incompetence is comparatively off the charts.

Advertisement