Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ddarcy wrote: »
    For the grins of it I looked at shorting it through my broker. It is classed as hard to get. So I would be paying 1500% interest to short it now. The max put option I can get is 60 as well (so is out of money); very strange. I can see the SEC going to town on this.

Think it still will go up a bit more with the short squeeze as so many shares are shorted, but the company is on its last legs, so it will eventually come down to 0 in my opinion.

I would not be shorting that stock right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

BB up 27% premarket, amazing the power of a single reddit group.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭cal naughton

Supercell wrote: »
    BB up 27% premarket, amazing the power of a single reddit group.

Also AMC up16% rumor it's next inline for the wall Street bets treatment so will open a small position.

Complete gamble looking at fundamentals however for 2021 fundamentals seem to have been replaced by retail investors deciding to not let a "Great American institution" die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Crikey, I thought I was doing well to get out of Gamestop before Christmas.

Anyhow, BooHoo which I tipped earlier has bought the Debenhams brand (not the actual stores though). I think it's a very good move as Debenhams has the association of being slightly more upmarket than the Fast-Fashion trash they sell on Pretty Little Thing. For 62million it sounds like a lot for just a name but if they can copy the Debenhams online offerings exactly then people will shift over to it. It's only up a 10p so far and was hovering around 330 so still might be a good time to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

For the grins of it I looked at shorting it through my broker. It is classed as hard to get. So I would be paying 1500% interest to short it now. The max put option I can get is 60 as well (so is out of money); very strange. I can see the SEC going to town on this.

Think it still will go up a bit more with the short squeeze as so many shares are shorted, but the company is on its last legs, so it will eventually come down to 0 in my opinion.

I don't think that's accurate. It's possible that their shift from Bricks and Mortar stores could go horribly wrong but they still have some gas left yet. I agree these shares are way above the actual company value, at the minute. We could see some innovation in the space as there are few dedicated games retailers left and having worked in that industry before the console manufacturers still need companies like Gamestop to sell their hardware.

Basically it worked like this in B&M stores.

Consoles sold pretty much at cost, and these costs were subsidised by the manufacturers. They didn't care the cost, they just needed units sold.

Brand new games, a little bit of profit on these but not a huge amount.

Trade ins were bread and butter but that has since changed with how content is now delivered.

Accessories, always upsell accessories. Headsets, controllers, HDMI cables. Whatever, this is where the big markup was.

I think there's still a bit of fight left for Gamestop, it's got international recognition and if they play their cards right, could keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Please short it. I will gladly take your money.

I’m not touching this with a 10 foot barge pole.

It’s always interesting to see the availability of shorting shares. The dynamics alone tell me it will rise more as so many shares are sorted. But the long term economics tell me it will crash back to reality. So if in it be very careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Torn with Gevo atm, wondering is it really worth all the hype ?

Does not stand up techwise for me - airplane bio fuel - but does that matter anymore - bought and sold earlier - sorry I did not hold longer.

circadian wrote: »
    I don't think that's accurate. It's possible that their shift from Bricks and Mortar stores could go horribly wrong but they still have some gas left yet. I agree these shares are way above the actual company value, at the minute. We could see some innovation in the space as there are few dedicated games retailers left and having worked in that industry before the console manufacturers still need companies like Gamestop to sell their hardware.

Basically it worked like this in B&M stores.

Consoles sold pretty much at cost, and these costs were subsidised by the manufacturers. They didn't care the cost, they just needed units sold.

Brand new games, a little bit of profit on these but not a huge amount.

Trade ins were bread and butter but that has since changed with how content is now delivered.

Accessories, always upsell accessories. Headsets, controllers, HDMI cables. Whatever, this is where the big markup was.

I think there's still a bit of fight left for Gamestop, it's got international recognition and if they play their cards right, could keep going.

Honestly they need new revenue streams. The way gaming is going they are not going to get it. They are perfect to be bought out though. Someone like Best Buy in the US would be perfect. Then potentially Curry’s in the UK/Ireland. Since US masks are on their last legs as well, they’re getting hurt there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

would it not be prudent for Gamestop to issue more shares at these elevated prices and get some much needed funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

would it not be prudent for Gamestop to issue more shares at these elevated prices and get some much needed funds?

I think that would immediately crashed the price, so no use to them... (based on my limited knowledge of the market)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

It would cover all the short sellers, I've seen it done before, the shorters are happy as they get bailed out and then you are left with the bag holders who have to grin and "shelve the stock in the back draw"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

johny33 wrote: »
    I think that would immediately crashed the price, so no use to them... (based on my limited knowledge of the market)

Don’t think typical market dynamics are really at play here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

Honestly they need new revenue streams. The way gaming is going they are not going to get it. They are perfect to be bought out though. Someone like Best Buy in the US would be perfect. Then potentially Curry’s in the UK/Ireland. Since US masks are on their last legs as well, they’re getting hurt there too.

Like I posted earlier. They have a new CEO and potential takeover of the board by people who have a track record at changing a known company into something that works in this day and age. Gamestop are in talks with several games companies including MS and Sony for form of market diversication.

Yes a potential buyout in future but at the minute there's a pivot currently in motion, with their ecommerce sales up 300% last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

They have a 100m ATM offering active since December.

Should do another if they're smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Surely these pre market gains will fall back a bit half an hour after the opening bell with GME? A lot of people will want to take their gains on the premarket. That's my thinking anyway, and I might jump in if there is a mini sell off after the opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

PLTR, GME,BB, CCIV all up in pre-market...most of the times, these pre-market prices don't hold, when the markets open...and buying at the open especially these type of pumped up stocks is not a great idea....got rid of PLTR on friday at close.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Surely these pre market gains will fall back a bit half an hour after the opening bell with GME? A lot of people will want to take their gains on the premarket. That's my thinking anyway, and I might jump in if there is a mini sell off after the opening.

There is very little volume in after hours / pre-trading. This more volatility. The price could easily fluctuate from 38 to 2. That won’t happen in normal trading hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

People talking about another so called "infinity-squeeze" on GME now, good article on a previous one - https://moxreports.com/vw-infinity-squeeze/

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Supercell wrote: »
    People talking about another so called "infinity-squeeze" on GME now, good article on a previous one - https://moxreports.com/vw-infinity-squeeze/

I'll get the popcorn on and watch from a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

My god GameStop my god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

PLTR taking off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Can’t get into trading 212 on phone or pc - typical

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

In GME and BB for a bit of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Just went in on BB to see what comes of it - fully aware I could get caught bag holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Does anybody know of any resources that display up to date short interest for stocks? The closest I can see is the Nasdaq site but they only seem to update it every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am in on gamestop since last week just for a laugh and blackberry also. I certainly wouldn't be putting life savings in it. But for sheer entertainment it's a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

masterK wrote: »
    Does anybody know of any resources that display up to date short interest for stocks? The closest I can see is the Nasdaq site but they only seem to update it every few weeks.

This sort of data is only published every few weeks I believe. Bloomberg terminal presumably has the most up to date data...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

robman60 wrote: »
    Just went in on BB to see what comes of it - fully aware I could get caught bag holding.

Same - for BB/AMC. Mad to watch this unfold.

Advertisement