Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If it makes it any easier (or just to add a bit more confusion) a chain is 22 yards long.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,078 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Weren't chains used to measure between survey triangulation points? Since the Down survey was done mostly by individuals hiking around with a back pack you would wonder how they physically managed 22 yards of chain! Maybe I am jumping to all kinds of inaccurate conclusions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

looksee wrote: »
    Weren't chains used to measure between survey triangulation points? Since the Down survey was done mostly by individuals hiking around with a back pack you would wonder how they physically managed 22 yards of chain! Maybe I am jumping to all kinds of inaccurate conclusions :D

Maybe the chain made of plastic. :)

Absolutely correct, a geological measuring device. Very accurate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

IrishZeus wrote: »
    An easy one this time (maybe) - the Latin word catulus refers to which animal?

Any takers?

Its basically the popular opposite of what springs to mind when you read the word first.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Absolutely correct, a geological measuring device. Very accurate too.

How many links to a chain hasn't been established though!

Any takers?

Its basically the popular opposite of what springs to mind when you read the word first.

Mouse?

I know, I was refering to your mention of surveying. Sorry to confuse with my ramblings. :)

feargale wrote: »
    Mouse?

The other opposite :D

Rat :eek:

• Advertisement

Dog?

Dog?

The small version yes - pup/cub

You’re up

OldGoat wrote: »
    I know, I was refering to your mention of surveying. Sorry to confuse with my ramblings. :)

I was just afraid I might have to find a question :D

The small version yes - pup/cub

You’re up

And I suppose dogulus is Latin for kitten.

Anyway here's a question on sport, or law, or history or whatever:

The Unlawful Games Act 1541 (of England) made it illegal to play sport on Christmas Day with one exception. Which sport was exempted from this ban?

P.S. Guessing is allowed.

Wakey wakey

I know the answer to this (I used to participate) archery was the only sport permitted, people had to get their practise in!

(I used to participate)

Back in the 1500’s?

:D

Well yes, this is O&O after all!

I know the answer to this (I used to participate) archery was the only sport permitted, people had to get their practise in!

Correct.

In the late Middle Ages the authorities in England frowned on football and similar games because they were seen to distract from the perfecting of the skills of war by means of archery in particular ( maybe swordsmanship too - not sure of that.)

King Edward III of England issued a declaration in 1363: "[m]oreover we ordain that you prohibit under penalty of imprisonment all and sundry from such stone, wood and iron throwing; handball, football, or hockey; coursing and cock-fighting, or other such idle games". Between 1314 and 1667, football was officially banned in England alone by more than 30 royal and local laws.

You're up.

Ok, question:

The Dutch have a favourite candy called Drop, what would it be called in English (its revolting in either language :D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is that the vomit-inducing salted liquorice (also called salmiak by the Scandinavians, if I'm not mistaken)?

It is indeed, strange people the Dutch! (I have Dutch and half-dutch in-laws, totally lovely people, they adore the stuff.)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What's round and nasty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

I'm jumping in here sorry, but is it 100?

There's one of them in the shed but i'm too cold to go count them :o

(sorry for barging in here, but it's an interesting thread!)

Not barging in at all, only relevant rule is be prepared to ask a question...otherwise you are very welcome! (I suspect you could be right, but I'll leave it for Old Goat to verify.)

New Home, is that a Christmas Cracker question (as in, a bad pun :D ) - it could be a drop sweetie!

New Home wrote: »
    What's round and nasty?

An alarm clock in the morning.

Not barging in at all, only relevant rule is be prepared to ask a question...otherwise you are very welcome! (I suspect you could be right, but I'll leave it for Old Goat to verify.)

New Home, is that a Christmas Cracker question (as in, a bad pun :D ) - it could be a drop sweetie!
    An alarm clock in the morning.
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes and no.

New Home wrote: »
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes and no.

A hand grenade.

A clock face at twenty to four, or twenty past eight.

• Advertisement

Nope. :)

Advertisement