Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I thought he was "just" the Admin!

Now you can really say you've made it big, Beasty. :cool:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks. I've swapped the bike for a mobility scooter. Let's see if I can crash that at 55 km/h.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭lucalux

feargale wrote: »
    Toilet paper?

Not this... though they do make recycled toilet paper now..
    So perhaps in some ways it could be applicable:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Beasty wrote: »
    It's mods that come with chains....

...speaking of which, without looking can anyone name the 2 mods of this forum?

:P
    Looksee and, err, not me anymore?

Belated welcome Beasty. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All I can think of (re-used manuscript) is palindrome and I know its not that, no it has vanished. Maybe a clue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

looksee wrote: »
    All I can think of (re-used manuscript) is palindrome and I know its not that, no it has vanished. Maybe a clue?

You've tipped me off. Palimpsest!

Verry close with palindrome!

Lol, so near!

keane2097 wrote: »
    You've tipped me off. Palimpsest!

Ding ding ding, we have the correct answer!

Isn't it a nice word? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It is! But I always associated it to TV schedules. I didn't know they had TV studios, back then! :pac:

• Advertisement

Lol, so near!

So very near, I would have been the same, as I only rediscovered the word lately, having read it years ago.

Googling where I heard of it, I think it was '1984' the Orwell book.

"Orwell used it as a metaphor in 1984 when describing Big Brother's way of eliminating memory —

“All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and re-inscribed exactly as often as was necessary.” "

I only know it from highlighting it about 30 times for a definition on the kindle in the last few months, and still forgot it until the mention of palindrome!

I'm still waiting on my Irish soccer player with the most red cards.

A clue:

Think of a guy that had a long career but spent a lot of it under serious pressure!

Best? Paul McGrath? Keane? I don't know any other Irish footballers...

Ok here's one -

There's a fairly common word in English that means to split/slice apart, but also means to attach/stick to something.

Can you name it?

Ok here's one -

There's a fairly common word in English that means to split/slice apart, but also means to attach/stick to something.

Can you name it?
    Cleave and "cleave to..."?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm still waiting on my Irish soccer player with the most red cards.

A clue:

Think of a guy that had a long career but spent a lot of it under serious pressure!

Steve Staunton?

OldGoat wrote: »
    Cleave and "cleave to..."?

Correct! I think I got that one from University Challenge

Steve Staunton?

Nope. Right part of the pitch but this player would be more recent. Retired more recently than Keane as well.

Correct! I think I got that one from University Challenge
    What is the tallest lighthouse in Ireland/UK?

• Advertisement

What is the tallest lighthouse in Ireland/UK?

Fastnet?

I'm no use with the soccer one atall, Roy Keane and Robbie Keane are the limit of my knowledge of soccer players :o

The lighthouse, I keep thinking Wexford and Cork coasts, but I don't know the names of any of them.

Must resist Googling :)

Nope. Right part of the pitch but this player would be more recent. Retired more recently than Keane as well.

Mick McCarthy?

Fastnet?
    Yep, Fastnet it is at a fine 54 meters high. It's 'character' (it's unique light signature for ships to recognize) is Fl, W, 5s - Flashing white every 5 seconds.
    It's on my bucket list to photograph it. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mick McCarthy?

I suspect McCarthy never even played 8 PL games...

... and he's from Barnsley:pac:

Not Mick either.

As a further clue, this player was a centre half and played in the premier league for Everton, Man City, Aston Villa and QPR. Russia once famously ran out of Russians trying to overcome him.

I'm beginning to suspect there are not many soccer experts among the O&Os :D

Alas there is one....:pac:

Diccky Dunnit?

Also know as Richard Dunne - definitely a blast from the past!

Oh and McCarthy predates the Premiership (he's a year older than me:o)

Yep, Fastnet it is at a fine 54 meters high. It's 'character' (it's unique light signature for ships to recognize) is Fl, W, 5s - Flashing white every 5 seconds.
    It's on my bucket list to photograph it. :)

I saw it only once, walking northwards on Cape Clear. When I reached the summit I turned around and saw this apparition a few miles south. It's called the teardrop of Ireland, the last sight of the old sod by many an emigrant.
    Incidentally since you said Ireland/UK I was tempted to guess Eddystone. I think it may be the tallest in UK.

QUESTION:
    According to citypopulation.de which sovereign country has comparatively the longest coastline per square km of area?
    You will get equal credit if you can name the second ranking in that list.
    No cogging please.

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to suspect there are not many soccer experts among the O&Os :D

I would have some knowledge of international soccer, but to follow club soccer overseas, especially in England, you would need to give up the day job. In normal times it seems to be on tv every day.

Advertisement