Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will any Sportives go ahead in 2021?

• 22-01-2021 10:25am

I am beginning to doubt if they will,

Tour de Burren cancelled for June 2021.

Cycling Ireland have published a list of events for 2021, which now seem unlikely, while at the same time they are getting savaged on FB for increasing the fee for leisure cyclists in 2021, with no events in 2020, and looking doubtful for 2021.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

I signed up for one in the glens of Antrim in June.

There was no charge but there is an ask you commit to raising money for a cancer Charity. I wont start raising the money until nearer the time but they are looking at as many different options as possible.

Also the Lap of the Lough is planned but again will see nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

When you can't cycle more than 5k from home on your own, it's hard to envisage a scenario in the near future that would allow you to travel all over the country and mix with hundreds of other cyclists both out on the road and in enclosed feed zones. Can't see it happening this year. Club rides yes, but big sportive style events I very much doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I find it hard to see until well into the Autumn to be honest. I'd be more hopeful of racing, as per the what was allowed in that brief period where racing happened.

Personally, bar the ones that bounced on from 2020, I won't be signing up to any (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

lissard wrote: »
    When you can't cycle more than 5k from home on your own, it's hard to envisage a scenario in the near future that would allow you to travel all over the country and mix with hundreds of other cyclists both out on the road and in enclosed feed zones. Can't see it happening this year. Club rides yes, but big sportive style events I very much doubt.

You have to realize that the 5k limit isn't carved in stone, therefore will not remain indefinitely..

Anyways, I would estimate that any Sportives will be late in the year, possibly September or October...
    ... that goes for most Cycle races too..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think later in the year, there'll be a few unofficial gathering of cycling enthusiasts. No money but maybe voluntary donations and ham sandwiches in the parish hall at the end.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You have to realize that the 5k limit isn't carved in stone, therefore will not remain indefinitely..

Anyways, I would estimate that any Sportives will be late in the year, possibly September or October...

I know here in the North the R rate has dropped to about 0.5 the hope that this continues to drop or remain the same and the relative slowing of the virus in the hotter months could lead to some aspects of normal life

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The distance limits will change, but the mass gatherings will be slower to remove.

Even if it's outdoors, there will be a lot of backlash if sportives are given a go ahead and weddings (even with the increased risk of indoor gatherings) are still limited and businesses restricted. At least imo

I think they're going to be extremely cautious, given the new variants, and the indications that as well as being more transmissible that having a different variant may not offer any protection.

Lakelander Gravel Grinder is all I have in my calendar as a mass participation event, although I should have an entry to Lap the Lough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Weepsie wrote: »
    The distance limits will change, but the mass gatherings will be slower to remove.Even if it's outdoors, there will be a lot of backlash if sportives are given a go ahead and weddings (even with the increased risk of indoor gatherings) are still limited and businesses restricted. At least imo

Would be challenges for event organisers to get Garda / council approval or even insurance for the next 6 to 8 months... though this can't continue forever, though having said that I've yet to see the Irish Governments plans for exiting restrictions....

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

This could be a good year to turn your hand to Audax if you feel a pressing need for long distance challenges. I know there are several Audax routes (Permanents) that can be undertaken at a date of your own choosing - you are completely on your own.
    https://www.audaxireland.org/audax/permanents/
    Obviously they are out the question until the county wide restrictions are lifted.

• Advertisement

There was a few within County permanents published, wasn't there? Can't find them on the site though - I'd pencilled in doing the Wicklow one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Macy0161 wrote: »
    There was a few within County permanents published, wasn't there? Can't find them on the site though - I'd pencilled in doing the Wicklow one anyway.

The link above gives a list of all the permanent routes currently available.
    This is the Ardattin permanent that stays within Wicklow.
    https://www.audaxireland.org/audax/permanents/ardattin-200-wicklow-permanent/

Or there's the Cill Mhantain 200 also within Wicklow. https://www.audaxireland.org/audax/permanents/cill-mhantain-200-permanent/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't think there will be any mass gatherings until the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

billyhead wrote: »
    I don't think there will be any mass gatherings until the Autumn.

You left out 2024/5. And that is being optimistic.

I'm just following the science, people!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Most people will not get the vaccine until later on in the year and I don't think anything official will be permitted until after the "regular season"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm seeing a few challenges being organised from early summer which are not mass start, e.g. here is a gpx file, ride this course over this weekend in a group of max 4, upload it to Strava, no food stops or support etc. Not really the same as a sportive but for this year it is all I expect from organised rides. I'll try do a few of these once they are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm seeing a few challenges being organised from early summer which are not mass start, e.g. here is a gpx file, ride this course over this weekend in a group of max 4, upload it to Strava, no food stops or support etc. Not really the same as a sportive but for this year it is all I expect from organised rides. I'll try do a few of these once they are allowed.

That's pretty much an Irish Audax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

You left out 2024/5. And that is being optimistic.

I'm just following the science, people!

What makes you say 2024/2025?

Another one gone.........

Ride Dingle cancelled for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

If the guards went through Strava there would be plenty of arrests, the same as in lockdown 1 certain jurisdictions are turning a blind eye cycling groups of 5 or 6 and unless you get a particularly grumpy Guard they simply give you a wave.

• Advertisement

If the guards went through Strava there would be plenty of arrests, the same as in lockdown 1 certain jurisdictions are turning a blind eye cycling groups of 5 or 6 and unless you get a particularly grumpy Guard they simply give you a wave.

I suppose it annoys me that I can cycle the 8km into work, Monday to Friday, because I work in what is deemed an essential service, but can't do the same route on the weekend.
    Makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I Mentioned this to a guy at work and he laughed, there are guys still their regular 50+ up to 100 kms every week.
    Back to the thread title i messaged the RoK a few weeks ago and am still waiting for a reply, highly unlikely this or anything before September will happen. Rebel tour, Tour de Kilkenny maybe, but anything else probably not.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dursey wrote: »
    I suppose it annoys me that I can cycle the 8km into work, Monday to Friday, because I work in what is deemed an essential service, but can't do the same route on the weekend.
    Makes no sense

Why should cyclists be different from anyone else? Any "concession" only results in a divide between cyclists and others

If you need to go into work, then you have a valid reason. A leisure cycle simply is not "valid" beyond the 5km. Nor is a run, or a walk, or indeed a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

looks like cycling ireland dont think there will be sportives for a loooooong time !

10% discount

Get 10% off entry to the Great Dublin Bike Ride. This great charity ride has a route to suit all cyclists and fitness levels from 20km to 100km and we hope its back with a bang for 20201!

Ring of Kerry cancelled for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

there won't be any sportives this year either, lets face it 2021 is a write off much the same as 2020 was. we'll be lucky to get out on a solo spin at this stage. no such issues in the UK where solo cycling is still permitted and not restricted to 5kms.

The problem organisers have is the uncertainty, that's why the relatively early decisions are being made. It's not like they can leave it to even 4 weeks to go to make a call.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Level 4 from March, which would mean within county club spins (under the "training" interpretation CI/ Sport Ireland have taken to date).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

who_ru wrote: »
    there won't be any sportives this year either, lets face it 2021 is a write off much the same as 2020 was. we'll be lucky to get out on a solo spin at this stage. no such issues in the UK where solo cycling is still permitted and not restricted to 5kms.

The UK you're supposed to stay local and they have defined it as your village, town or the part of a city where you live’.

It's a stretch to say 10 km is local in the more populated parts of the countries. I wouldn't say 5km is particularly local to me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Clubs should plan for Level 4 restrictions from March. So groups of 15 or less within your county.

I've suggested to our club that we organise a club sportive for club members. It can be run /planned at short notice etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Clubs should plan for Level 4 restrictions from March. So groups of 15 or less within your county.

I've suggested to our club that we organise a club sportive for club members. It can be run /planned at short notice etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any loosening of restrictions bar trying to get the schools back very gradually.

The Gov got it very wrong for Xmas, they will be much more cautious now till the vaccines roll out more widely, and even at that the various variants will be a fly in the ointment.

Advertisement