Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman stabbed near IFSC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I thought the area has been in the process of being "gentrified" and redeveloped for years?

Or have they just not gotten to the real problem spots yet.

FWIW I see plenty of stories from years a go about how the area use to be far worse than it is now. How the guards would never go in there etc...

It is massively improving overall and that will continue but there is constantly an issue with Sheriff Street Lower. I almost guarantee you if you are a relatively well dressed person (office worker) you will get verbal abuse from local youths who gather in groups. That's why the vast majority of people avoid this street and the gangs have the street for themselves mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

No real consequences in the country for any level of crime.

It's 2020 and we still can't manage to take fines at source out of social welfare payments. Instead back to court, two guards to bring them up to the joy and a few hours later they're on the bus home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Are the problems in the IFSC (I know there are apartments there) or what's around it?

In the IFSC and surrounding North Inner City area. Apartments shoehorned in amongst a population who are at odds with the professional type. Also a huge problem with heroin addiction and substance abuse in the North Inner City.

Quite a few of the apartments by the council have been acquired and are now social housing.
    There are some good people in the area, but quite a few generational nefarious characters.

A lot of the young lads are roaming around in packs on bicycles in Canada Goose jackets up to no good. They have been taken in by the optics of the crime pays lifestyle.

Fairly normal day round the city, it won't make that many headlines.

Absolute bollocks, on both counts.

biko wrote: »
    Independent

This ****er should be charged with attempted murder and suspected hate crime..

Right that's it, I'm banning my missus from cycling here at night until that ****er is caught.

That is attempted murder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This was it in 1991? Jaysus.
    It was ****ing grim

It wasn't great, but a lot of that was added for 'In the Name of the Father'.
    Check out the nordie graffiti.
    The flats the film set was built around were due for demolition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are some good people in the area, but quite a few generational nefarious characters.

For a number of years 'problem' families from elsewhere in the city were dumped there.

I taught kids from there for years. Sadly (for the area), many who wanted to make something of themselves, or improve their lot, moved out as soon as they could, leaving the issues to just intensify.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Cause of all of this?

Enabling.

aka
    punished by rewards

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

bet he was out on bail without a care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The IFSC is a privately controlled area, there are cameras all over it. Guards are always off Sheriff st after the guy was shot outside the centra. They probably already arrested him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

spurious wrote: »
    For a number of years 'problem' families from elsewhere in the city were dumped there.

I taught kids from there for years. Sadly (for the area), many who wanted to make something of themselves, or improve their lot, moved out as soon as they could, leaving the issues to just intensify.

im sure youre not saying,just makes it sound like the onus was on those that wanted to and could leave, in some ways I think its better to dump the problems into one area, easier to police, but some of those problems should be dumped into prisons, not left to rot in prison, but treated if drugs, rehab etc, even if crime, taken off the streets nonetheless. Seriously in need of additional prison/spaces with facilities and standard measures for applying sentences so Judges cant make it up as they go along, commit x do y time, not convinced concurrent sentencing or early release is any use for anyone thats got a long list or history of crimes, especiallu when they havent been through some kind of rehab/training.

hopefully the woman recovers ok and the scum is caught and put away for a few years at least, chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Right that's it, I'm banning my missus from cycling here at night until that ****er is caught.

That is attempted murder.

Wouldn't let her any other time either, same along the canal too.....

Safety in numbers usually so going down along there isn't the safest.

I do go for a walk along there every so often if on a long break, usually plenty running and that but it really depends on time.

I'm from Dublin, work in Dublin and have seen some sh1t in my time and I wouldn't class it as been a safe place to be.

spurious wrote: »
    It wasn't great, but a lot of that was added for 'In the Name of the Father'.
    Check out the nordie graffiti.
    The flats the film set was built around were due for demolition.

Yeah, i get the impression all the burned out cars (and bus) are part of a set, too. Hence them all being right beside each other, on a footpath, behind a railing.

I think that was one of the things the video was 'showing off', was all the props/changes for the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I do go for a walk along there every so often if on a long break, usually plenty running and that but it really depends on time.

I'm from Dublin, work in Dublin and have seen some sh1t in my time and I wouldn't class it as been a safe place to be.

Thats sad.

Yeah I've told her enough times that I'll get a taxi.

Same, for myself. I'm living and working in Dublin all my life. I'm OK because I blend in and look a bit dodge myself but I've seen these gimps hassle deliveroo cyclists and tourists and other minority groups. It ain't pretty.

It's every other week they are scaling the walls of my apartment block and into the courtyard looking for bikes to rob off hard working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Can anyone else think of a place, not just in Ireland but in Europe, where every store and pharmacy in the area has to have full time security.

Assuming a wage of around €20k, that means the locals must have been robbing and/or shoplifting more than €20k per year from EACH of these businesses in order to justify the wage of the security guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Poor woman apart from the huge physical injuries, I can imagine she’ll be terrified to go out alone anywhere ever again alone. There’s so much more that scumbag did to her than just stab her, and he won’t pay for it.
    It’s really time for soft Ireland to wake up, it’s already too late for us, these scumbags fear no one and value nothing, and go around carrying knives. Pure scum.
    But even if arrested and charged it’ll be free legal aid, psychological evaluations and whatever medical attention they need, mitigating circumstances, a ridiculously light sentence and then three square meals a day and perks in prison all free and paid for by Johnny tax payer. Meanwhile, what will the victim get? Years of fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Girl I was seeing until not too long ago lives around there and often walks alone at night, i don't like seeing this.
    I used to be at her place on Mayor st a lot and for all the gentrification in the area that Sheriff st produces some real scumbags. I'd often see security guards getting harassed and racially abused by local teens. They also get housed in the fancy new apartments there like my exes, so they can stay in the area, she had a few dubious neighbours.
    Thiago Cortes was killed by local scum too, I wonder how that court case will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The whole thing is so sad and sees Dublin truly as the cesspit it is. Posts on the Reddit Ireland thread are mentioning two muggings on Talbot St in the last 24 hours too

From the Indo piece
    “This lady is very, very lucky to be alive and this was a very savage crime. She didn’t even put up a fight and was no threat to him,” a senior source said.

Has to be a junkie who was off his tits right?

Not even a sober scumbag would do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Wasnt there a video of a group of scrotes fighting in the street in that area recently where one lad gets a hatchet stuck in his skull?

Jaysis

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The hatchet in the skull was across the river around Pearse St, think it was part of the decades old Sheriffer V Pearse St gang wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Could the 22 million for white water rafting be given to the Gardaí ? I really really cannot understand why Gardaí are not on the beat anymore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Valresnick wrote: »
    Could the 22 million for white water rafting be given to the Gardaí ? I really really cannot understand why Gardaí are not on the beat anymore ?

It's because districts are bigger and more spread out now than years ago. Also because often the numbers aren't there, eg. four to a unit...two for the car, two in the station, no beat. If there are extra bodies, chances are there still won't be a beat because the time you're not in the car is a chance to get paperwork done.

Say for instance there was a beat along with the car(s), one car crew tied up at a messy call, another car gets a prisoner and could be out of action for hours, calls still coming in, grand beat over...into the car and start clearing calls. That's assuming there are bodies to get into the car, if there's not, calls could be holding for hours.

Like a lot of police elsewhere, there isn't a whole lot of capacity for proactive work atm.

There needs to be a comprehensive plan to deal with the problems,
    just giving money to any organisation or dept isnt going to solve the problem/s

1.prison spaces needed, start building 1-2 new prisons, 22mil isnt going to make a dent in that,
    2.Rehab and social services in prison,
    3. Review/overhaul judicial problems, why are they getting out/so soon, spaces..see 1. reoffending..see 2. revolving door, one opportunity at early release/concurrent sentencing after that, serve all sentences consecutively, overhaul sentences to a standard so Judges cant pick and choose by any given Judge, have no leeway to disregard sentences.
    4. Beat/Uniformed Gardai carry out public facing interactions/arrests etc, have a specific Dept of the Gardai with branch/station level detectives to investigate as part of a larger investigations unit overall, free up uniformed Gardai to carry out foot/cycle/publicly visible patrols, take on approved civilian admin staff for certain roles, free up more Gardai for foot/cycle/publicly visible patrols
    in back up of investigative branch investigations, have a legal dept (appropriate legal staff, solicitors/barristers if needed) to ensure all the legal i's are dotted and t's are crossed, Uniformed Gardai as witness/to give evidence only.

The white water rafting facility should not go ahead for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. It will turn into a white elephant project.

Sort out the scum in the area and then build the white water rafting facility.

The white water rafting facility should not go ahead for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. It will turn into a white elephant project.

Sort out the scum in the area and then build the white water rafting facility.

I wouldnt have a white water facility in that location, its just stupid, people are going to bring kayaks/raft there on the bus? No, Im not exactly against it, I think it could be overpriced, maybe, enough money goes into Horses, the Dogs, a facility in Ireland somewhere could be a good thing, Id say a few, but in Dublin, outside the M50, so its accessible by car from all over the city and country, dont just plonk a load of concrete where it will end up having needles thrown into it and need to be checked constantly.
    Sort out the junkies and scum too,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This was it in 1991? Jaysus.
    Well as others said a lot of it was location dressing for a film, but Sheriff st was always known to be a really rough kip to be avoided at all costs. The IFSC made a difference overall, but left a pocket of old style skangerism in its midst.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

How much money would have been saved by the government in stopping this crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Hopefully the scumbag is caught and brought to justice. I don't care what race he is. Judging how little interest there has been in the thread it must be one of our white Irish who committed the crime. Whoever it was needs to be banged up in a cell quickly. Lone women walking at night are a prime target and all women should be aware of this and take precautions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Dublin could do with a Mayor with powers similar to those they get in cities in the US, crack down hard on junkies, violent criminals and such. Someone who is psychopathic enough to stab an innocent person in the neck is usually beyond rehabilitation and should be permanently removed from society.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement