Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TIDAL (Equiv to Spotify) for 1.11/month SEE OP POST

• 20-01-2021 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭

Tidal is an excellent equivalent to Spotify.
    To get it for approx 1.11 a month, you sign up through Turkey. Actual price is 9.99 Turkish Lira.
    There is a family plan for 1.80 a month whereby you can have 6 members.
    App is similar to spotify. Only downside is that you can't use it on an alexa speaker (unless you have a US account) except through Bluetooth from your phone app.

Steps:
    a) Open a VPN and go to turkey. There are many free VPNs that offer sufficient data for a signup.
    b) Open a browser and open tidal.com. The turkish website should open.
    c) Register and pick your account. 9.99 Turkish Lira for individual account, 14.99 for family account.
    d) after sign up, turn off VPN and enjoy TIDAL.

There are numerous free services that will transfer your playlists between services. I used tunemymusic free service for the once off transfer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

great deal but for anyone with echo devices, it can't be used on these outside of the USA, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ablelocks wrote: »
    great deal but for anyone with echo devices, it can't be used on these outside of the USA, apparently.

I have my echo set up with a dummy US account so tidal works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

hi thanks, will this work with sonos?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

does it work with Google home?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

hi thanks, will this work with sonos?

Yes. Play from either Sonos or Tidal app on your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

For the family account do you just add others by their or your email/pw? At about 3.60 each for a year its gotta be worthy of a boards family if 5 others fancy it i don't mind setting up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

TheDriver wrote: »
    I have my echo set up with a dummy US account so tidal works perfectly.

Hi any instructions on how you managed this, I changed my location to US installed the tidal skill, changed back to uk and Alexa doesn’t find any music, I’m guessing I probably need to keep my account set to US? TIA

Hi any instructions on how you managed this, I changed my location to US installed the tidal skill, changed back to uk and Alexa doesn’t find any music, I’m guessing I probably need to keep my account set to US? TIA
    Go to Amazon US, register an account using some random address from Google. Then set up echo using it. Make sure your location is also US in devices in anaxon., sometimes it picks up Ireland.

5500 wrote: »
    For the family account do you just add others by their or your email/pw? At about 3.60 each for a year its gotta be worthy of a boards family if 5 others fancy it i don't mind setting up

I didn't bother, gave away a few spots to family members who think I'm very generous, if only they knew the cost.
    Unlike Spotify, one account seems to play independently in different locations

Go to Amazon US, register an account using some random address from Google. Then set up echo using it. Make sure your location is also US in devices in anaxon., sometimes it picks up Ireland.

Thanks but does your Alexa behave normally? I have a few of them around the house and want them all to be linked, I use .co.uk quite often how does it integrate or is it essentially standalone

• Advertisement

I have a few too. They work grand. There's nothing US on them, I have the UK accent and Irish news and my location. And tidal plays the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

If you have a good sound setup it's well worth getting Tidal HiFi. At Turkish prices it's a no brainer.

I have a few too. They work grand. There's nothing US on them, I have the UK accent and Irish news and my location. And tidal plays the music.

Thanks will give it another go so

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Good for music like Spotify, but differs in the podcast department. Tidal has very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Great deal .

Does the surname of all the family members have to be the same ?

Great deal .

Does the surname of all the family members have to be the same ?

I added their email address which invited them to setup an account. None of my family had a tidal account before the invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I added their email address which invited them to setup an account. None of my family had a tidal account before the invite.

Got it going , I just filled in name and email address .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Tidal is an excellent equivalent to Spotify.
    To get it for approx 1.11 a month, you sign up through Turkey. Actual price is 9.99 Turkish Lira.
    There is a family plan for 1.80 a month whereby you can have 6 members.
    App is similar to spotify. Only downside is that you can't use it on an alexa speaker (unless you have a US account).

Steps:
    a) Open a VPN and go to turkey. Tunnelbear is a good free VPN.
    b) Open a browser and open tidal.com. The turkish website should open.
    c) Register and pick your account. 9.99 Turkish Lira for individual account, 14.99 for family account.
    d) after sign up, turn off VPN and enjoy TIDAL.

There are numerous free services that will transfer your playlists between services.

Here I go again...LOL
    By the end of this one, I'll have YouTube, Tidal, Deezer and Netflix along with access to all the UK apps on the firestick thanks to the likes of you and these posts!!! :D:D The family will have too much choice now during the lockdown.
    Must do the US Amazon and tidal for the echos, have "WAY TOO Many" according to my wife and kids. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I am certain I had Turkey in Tunnelbear previously.
    Seems to be not there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Can confirm it doesn't come up as an option to play music using tidal on Google home.

You can cast however, I'll put it through its paces today when on the road with work, see how it compares sound/quality/selection wise with YouTube music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

Can you do the same with spotify via turkey?

Del007 wrote: »
    Can you do the same with spotify via turkey?

No. Spotify require payment card in the same country as the account

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cheers OP, just signed up. I couldn't use TunnelBear though, that didn't have an option for Turkey. I used HolaVpn instead

Apologies all, tunnelbear doesn't have turkey. I have a paid keepsolid VPN which I used for turkey and free tunnelbear for argentina for youtube so I got them mixed up.
    There's plenty of free VPNs for this so I modified the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Albanach1

My phone number is already linked to my existing Amazon account. How did you get around as it sends a text to verify the new account set up.

Albanach1 wrote: »
    My phone number is already linked to my existing Amazon account. How did you get around as it sends a text to verify the new account set up.

I don't recall any issue when I did it

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

McMurphy wrote: »
    does it work with Google home?

I have a chromecast audio added to Google home, and it works with that. Just cast from the tidal app to the chromecast audio
    Chromecast audio plugs into any hifi, it just needs an aux connection or optical input. That way you can listen through a proper soundsytem instead of a sh1tbox smart speaker.

Shame chromecast audio was discontinued by Google. They can be got on adverts and ebay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭superflyninja

How does Tidal compare in terms of catalogue to Spotify?

How does Tidal compare in terms of catalogue to Spotify?
    I find it has everything I want. Give the trial a go, use tunemymusic to copy over your playlists and you'll see what's missing, if any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

OK,
    So tried Getflix VPN for Turkey and would only give me US Dollars.
    I also have KeepSolid and use this, got the Turkish site and signed up for family.

When I look at the account is says, next payment is 9.99 lira and then it says I have subscribed to family 14.99, is the total going to be 24.98? Anyone else see this?

Update:
    I think you buy a plan for 9.99TL and then add 5 more members for 14.99TL, Total for Family plan is 24.98 TL

Advertisement