Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone give Max a real chance at LW?

I just don't see it....

He seems to lack that zip/explosiveness type power...

Appears slow and labored, relatively speaking.....accumulation and steady is what he is....I don't think he cuts it at 155 lbs

slow he most definately is not !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I just don't see it....

Appears slow and labored, relatively speaking.....accumulation and steady is what he is....I don't think he cuts it at 155 lbs
    You must be watching the fight on half speed or something.

The ref told Nick Diaz to shut up once upon a time. I think he was just swearing constantly.

Taunting and getting inside your opponents head is as old as a hook or uppercut. Plus, the UFC love that sort of stuff, it gets clicks on social media and it gets people talking. It will drum up more interest in Holloway's next fight as people will be hoping to see more of the same, or see him getting knocked out.

Taunting is great for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I just don't see it....

He fought Poirier at 155 and didn't have much power. Even at 145 he's not a single KO artist, more a volume puncher.
    I think he should stay in 145, maybe fight Zabit next, but then who does Volk fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,717 ✭✭✭✭walshb

akelly02 wrote: »
    slow he most definately is not !

Slow in relative terms...

As in not that real zippy speed.....seems methodical and languid, almost.....

• Advertisement

As for the showboating stuff, pretty sure I saw Venom Page get docked a point for being a dick during a fight. Also thought masvidal mocking Askren was major bad form.
    But in other instances it can add something different, show a fighters personality or build on a story pre-fight.
    Depends on the situations I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He fought Poirier at 155 and didn't have much power. Even at 145 he's not a single KO artist, more a volume puncher.
    I think he should stay in 145, maybe fight Zabit next, but then who does Volk fight?

If Volkanowski beats Ortega in March, the third fight happens

If Volkanowski beats Oretaga in March, the third fight happens

Ah, forgot that was lined up. What if Ortega beats Volk!? That would be some come back if he defended against Max.

I think the trilogy is deserved. The last max volk fight was very close and given how impressive Max was on Saturday, it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

As for the showboating stuff, pretty sure I saw Venom Page get docked a point for being a dick during a fight. Also thought masvidal mocking Askren was major bad form.
    But in other instances it can add something different, show a fighters personality or build on a story pre-fight.
    Depends on the situations I suppose.

Yeah, he pretended to take a selfie with his opponent whilst he was beating him up!
    I've no problem with that kinda stuff really. It's all part of the game. The audience can choose themselves whether they find it amusing or distasteful.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Yeah, he pretended to take a selfie with his opponent whilst he was beating him up!
    I've no problem with that kinda stuff really. It's all part of the game. The audience can choose themselves whether they find it amusing or distasteful.

Something wrong here if we are to think that beating someone up and mocking/belittling them as you are dong it is "all part of the game."

I don't think that is what should be tolerated in the octagon....

Odd bits of needle here and there exist....I get this, but lines need not be allowed to be crossed...

From what I saw I think Max's behaviors overstepped the line and was distasteful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Something wrong here if we are to think that beating someone up and mocking/belittling them as you are dong it is "all part of the game.".

Where do you stand on belittling your opponent in the lead up to the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Something wrong here if we are to think that beating someone up and mocking/belittling them as you are dong it is "all part of the game."

I don't think that is what should be tolerated in the octagon....

Odd bits of needle here and there exist....I get this, but lines need not be allowed to be crossed...

From what I saw I think Max's behaviors overstepped the line and was distasteful.
    I think you need to watch a different sport if you're this easily outraged by some taunting while two people are trying to incapacitate each other.

Also, no mention of how respectful he was after the actual fight.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I think you need to watch a different sport if you're this easily outraged by some taunting while two people are trying to incapacitate each other.

Also, no mention of how respectful he was after the actual fight.

Not outraged at all

Nor surprised....I just do not like to see it...

Been a combat sports fan for many years.......never liked it....

Get in, fight hard, fight fair, fight clean and give it your all......is this not enough? I also have to have no issue with clearly beaten fighters being mocked whilst being beaten......

Sorry, that to me has no place in sport......

Am I odd for espousing some standards? Surely I can't be alone....

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Where do you stand on belittling your opponent in the lead up to the fight?

I think the odd needle here and there, whilst somewhat respectful is of no harm...I get this.....it happens

It's all about levels and situations....

I strongly dislike when I see men hurt, beaten and in distress, and their foes then showboating to humiliate and mock.....

I mean, there are situations. A guy acting the maggot showboating in an even fight, is just a tool and should be told "quit the ****, and get on with fighting."

A guy beating up and hurting and dominating and showboating and mocking when doing it needs to be stopped......that to me is a lowlife act.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think the odd needle here and there, whilst somewhat respectful is of no harm...I get this.....it happens

It's all about levels and situations....

Grand. So you're for it when you want, and you're against it when you don't want.

I'm glad you've brought this up. It's extremely important!

If you don't think of the children, who will?

BTW, I assume the UFC has some code of conduct/rules that cover how fighters carry themselves, behave etc when representing the UFC in and out of the octagon?

All sports usually have comprehensive rules...

I take it MMA is no different...specific to the UFC, I'd like to have a look here....

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Grand. So you're for it when you want, and you're against it when you don't want.

I'm glad you've brought this up. It's extremely important!

If you don't think of the children, who will?

That's a silly reply..and I never said I was "for anything." There are inside the octagon behaviors and outside the octagon behaviors

I was talking about inside the octagon, what I saw with Max, and what you see with others....behaviors during combat.

It's not an exact science........

Like I said, it's all about levels and behaviors..

I understand completely that a bit of needle occurs here and there....I understand this...

Surely folks can discern when there is the normal bit of back and forth to promote and impress upon people why you are going to win and all that

No need for anyone to try lump it all into the one bag here....

I was clear on what I find unacceptable

Anyway, I'd like to see if I can find any rules/guidelines etc for how fighters behave, or should behave...

Still Ill wrote: »

That was it. At least Douglas Lima brought him back down to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

That's a silly reply..and I never said I was "for anything." There are inside the octagon behaviors and outside the octagon behaviors

I was talking about inside the octagon, what I saw with Max, and what you see with others....behaviors during combat.

It's not an exact science........

Like I said, it's all about levels and behaviors..

I understand completely that a bit of needle occurs here and there....I understand this...

Surely folks can discern when there is the normal bit of back and forth to promote and impress upon people why you are going to win and all that

No need for anyone to try lump it all into the one bag here....

I was clear on what I find unacceptable

Anyway, I'd like to see if I can find any rules/guidelines etc for how fighters behave, or should behave...

How many fighters in any combat sport have been sanctioned for what unsportsmanlike behaviour of the kind you are so exercised about here?

• Advertisement

How many fighters in any combat sport have been sanctioned for what unsportsmanlike behaviour of the kind you are so exercised about here?

What has me knowing the answer (which I don't know) to this for got to do with the point I made?

Anyway, grand......we disagree

I don't like to see it in combat sports....no big deal.....

You may see no issue at all. That's fine...

Just from my time in amateur boxing, it's desperate to see children/teens/adults engaging in the belittling type behaviors in the ring....and there are rules in place to combat it......but you see some get away with it...

Like I said; Fight hard, clean, fair and within the rules......that's what I want, and like to see.

What has me knowing the answer (which I don't know) to this for got to do with the point I made?

Because you said all sports have comprehensive rules on it but very few seem to implement them so I don't really see what difference it makes if there are rules about showboating in the ring.

"Some" get away with it? They all get away with it

Because you said all sports have comprehensive rules on it but very few seem to implement them so I don't really see what difference it makes if there are rules about showboating in the ring.

I never said all sports have comprehensive rules "on it."

I said sports have comprehensive rules...."All sports usually have comprehensive rules."

I also said: "I assume the UFC has some code of conduct/rules that cover how fighters carry themselves, behave etc when representing the UFC in and out of the octagon?"

In these rules, assuming they exist, I am wondering what MMA/UFC have for how fighters behave inside the octagon towards their opponent, his/her team, officials etc?

I am wondering what is their rule/stance....

I know in amateur boxing there are guidelines and rules set out on boxers' behaviors inside the ring and relating to how boxers conduct themselves...

And I am well aware that rule breaking is not always caught/punished....but that's another area...

I never said there comprehensive rules "on it."

I said sports have comprehensive rules...."All sports usually have comprehensive rules."

I also said: "I assume the UFC has some code of conduct/rules that cover how fighters carry themselves, behave etc when representing the UFC in and out of the octagon?"

In these rules, assuming they exist, I am wondering what MMA/UFC have for how fighters behave inside the octagon towards their opponent, his/her team, officials etc?

I am wondering what is their rule/stance....

I know in amateur boxing there are guidelines and rules set out on boxers' behaviors inside the ring and relating to how boxers conduct themselves...

And I am well aware that rule breaking is not always caught/punished....but that's another area...

How many pros are punished for their behaviour in the ring?

I've no issue with your general outlook on unsportsmanlike behaviour.

But as an example to pick from recent fights, I thought you'd have been posting about Adesanya rather than Holloway

How many pros are punished for their behaviour in the ring?

I've no issue with your general outlook on unsportsmanlike behaviour.

But as an example to pick from recent fights, I thought you'd have been posting about Adesanya rather than Holloway

Maybe I got Holloway wrong.... I did not see the Adesanya fight. At least I don't think I did, but do recall his behaviors in the octagon.

Just from what I saw, I did not at all like how he was behaving when the opponent was clearly being dominated....

I have been at many boxing shows where referees have stopped action, and had clear words with boxers to quit messing or showboating or general unsportsmanlike behavior....I think we all have a good idea what this is

Been many examples where this unsportsmanlike behavior has been let continue by referees, and as far as I know, they do not have discretion here on this. It should not be tolerated.

Pro boxing should also have rules in place for boxers' behavior during combat....and we have all seen where they are allowed get away with it, and we have seen where referees have given them clear warnings to quit it...

If I recall, it was Duran who quit vs Leonard in 1980 because he was fed up with the silly nonsense showboating from Ray.....belittling and mocking. Ray got away with it.... Something along the lines of "I don't want to fight this clown anymore"....and he was dead right. Leonard looked like an utter clown, but was allowed get away with taunting and mocking.

Maybe I got Holloway wrong.... I did not see the Adesanya fight. At least I don't think I did, but do recall his behaviors in the octagon.

Just from what I saw, I did not at all like how he was behaving when the opponent was clearly being dominated....

I have been at many boxing shows where referees have stopped action, and had clear words with boxers to quit messing or showboating or general unsportsmanlike behavior....I think we all have a good idea what this is

Been many examples where this unsportsmanlike behavior has been let continue by referees, and as far as I know, they do not have discretion here on this. It should not be tolerated.

Pro boxing should also have rules in place for boxers' behavior during combat....and we have all seen where they are allowed get away with it, and we have seen where referees have given them clear warnings to quit it...

Roy Jones spent his career doing it.

Theres a big difference between pro and amateur as well.

As for Max Holloway, people could do a lot worse than carry themselves like he has and the respect he typical shows his opponents before, during and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Come on lads,

"It is what it is " :pac:

Roy Jones spent his career doing it.

Theres a big difference between pro and amateur as well.

As for Max Holloway, people could do a lot worse than carry themselves like he has and the respect he typical shows his opponents before, during and after.

Yes, Jones always looked like a grade A prick with his clowning..

And it’s why I was actually happy he got jobbed in Seoul!!!

And I know that there is a difference between amateur and pro

But sportsmanlike behaviour is sportsmanlike behaviour.. in all sports..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Muhammad Ali

• Advertisement

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Muhammad Ali

Yep..

And he was criticised for it and adored for it...

Advertisement