Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options
  • 18-01-2021 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0118/1190394-coombe-virus/

People like myself waiting patiently for my parents to get the vaccine and low risk people get it simply because they have a family member in the know. If they were going to run out why did they order so many or give them to more deserving cases. Sackable offence for Donnolly and the staff members involved.
    No wonder the rollout will takes ages:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Family members who worked in the hospital though. I agree the optics aren't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PO!NT

Tip of the sword stuff imo.

I have 0 proof but I dont believe this is an isolated event.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

16 jabs would have been wasted if not used.
    Have no problem with this as we are in position to flush vaccines down the toilet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

booterboy wrote: »
    Have no problem with this as we are in position to flush vaccines down the toilet.

Who's going to be responsible now for making sure they get the boosters to support the initial shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,086 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

16 who now need the second dose too of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

TheChizler wrote: »
    Family members who worked in the hospital though. I agree the optics aren't great.

And the vaccines were otherwise gone to waste. For once someone was trying to be proactive and use every single dose available in some way and avoid waste

The headline could make for great click bait but in the circumstances I have to agree, give the vaccine to someone if there’s a few left over. Of course you now need to find 16 second doses for those people

The bigger scandal would be throwing perfectly good vaccines in the bin. At the time there was no way to contact anyone on a waiting list and the HSE basically were clueless what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Of the 16, 9 were over 70.
    Absolutely no problem with vaccines getting used.

They should get their second dose in 3 weeks, probably around the time they were due the first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

votecounts wrote: »

People like myself waiting patiently for my parents to get the vaccine and low risk people get it simply because they have a family member in the know. If they were going to run out why did they order so many or give them to more deserving cases. Sackable offence for Donnolly and the staff members involved.
    Donnelly knows nothing about it. The issue is with the "process" and that they seem to be making it up as it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There’s a side question to this that’s more important.

How did the Dublin maternity hospitals get enough vaccine to cover every staff member before a cure hospitals with actual red covid wards get enough to cover front line workers. They figures don’t support that these are covid hot spots nor high risk for staff or patients.

This happened because they essentially had too many vaccinations to use up while other hospitals were getting none.

While the optics are terrible it’s still better than wasting the 16 doses and many of those who received the jab were 70+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

As someone said last night 2 Garda stations and Dolphins Barn fire brigade station within 15 minutes of the Coombe.
    Plenty of front line workers there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Really, they would have been wasted? They were in a hospital, was there nobody left in the hospital that was higher up the priority list that they had resort to ringing up family members and wait for them to travel to the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Any proof of this or is it just a random claim that the family were all working in the hospital.

Rte quote the master saying
    "In hindsight as Master I deeply regret that family members of employees were vaccinated and for that I wholeheartedly apologise."

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Could've rang dolphins barn fire station and got the 16 paramedics on duty that evening vaccinated. The same paramedics who got their vaccination cancelled last Thursday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

There is going to be lots and lots of this kind of stuff going on in the coming weeks and months and it won't be confined to this country either. As the son of a 82 year old father and a 79 year old mother who are basically confined to the house until they get their second jab to hear of people jumping queues is maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Of the 16, 9 were over 70.
    Absolutely no problem with vaccines getting used.

If that's the case, it certainly puts it in a different light.

There are still concerns around younger family members getting it, did senior staff have family members hanging around the hospital at the end of each day on the off chance there were spare vaccines going? More likely it was more coordinated than that which is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

votecounts wrote: »

It was the right decision which was time critical in a system that doesn't yet exist, to avoid wasteage.

Nothing to see here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The outragers are going to love this one.

Hateful to see a bit of common sense get in the way of a decent bit of outrage, especially during theses trying times.

It is an absolute disgrace etc etc , typical abuse of senior positions etc etc, how dare they? My auntie hasn't got hers yet etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

PO!NT wrote: »
    Tip of the sword stuff imo.

I have 0 proof but I dont believe this is an isolated event.

Sure why would you need proof when you can make baseless accusations. Isn't that whet the internet was invented for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m happy they were used and not dumped but agree that a procedure needs to be put in place to prevent abuse of potential available extra vaccines. I believe quite a few extra doses being given out in recent weeks. Heard of some being dumped too. They should never be dumped ever.

My biggest concern here is why are vaccines on the brink of been wasted?

Every single person in the country is locked up for close to a year now. We’re waiting on millions to be vaccinated!!!

How the f*ck do we already have a bunch about to be wasted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

9 that received it are over 70. They don't work in the hospital surely?

This is one day and one hospital who had 16 spare dose.

You know the question is coming to what happened to spare doses on all previous days in all other vaccination outlets?

My biggest concern here is why are vaccines on the brink of been wasted?

Every single person in the country is locked up for close to a year now. We’re waiting on millions to be vaccinated!!!

How the f*ck do we already have a bunch about to be wasted?

Do people live under a rock or something.

The vaccines once defrosted and mixed must be used within 6 hours. It’s not like they have been lying round on a shelf for six week or anything.

I read something similar in German press. The doses are perishable and rather than wasting them they were collaring anyone they could to use the doses before they went off.

PO!NT wrote: »
    This is one day and one hospital who had 16 spare dose.

You know the question is coming to what happened to spare doses on all previous days in all other vaccination outlets?

In other centres there aren’t enough vaccinations to go round so excess isn’t a problem.

Pity now is it will be a safer bet to bin them than have outrage over who gets them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

kingstevii wrote: »
    Could've rang dolphins barn fire station and got the 16 paramedics on duty that evening vaccinated. The same paramedics who got their vaccination cancelled last Thursday.

You're absolutely right, it's amazing how the families of the Admin/office staff just happened to be hanging around the corridors and got booked into the system just as the medical staff said "Oh look we have 16 leftover Vaccines.." A number of whom are younger people not in the Vulnerable group..

A quick call as you say to the local station where front-line workers now perform their daily duties with the public today are still walking around unvaccinated...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Any proof of this or is it just a random claim that the family were all working in the hospital.

Rte quote the master saying
    "In hindsight as Master I deeply regret that family members of employees were vaccinated and for that I wholeheartedly apologise."
    I thought the OP was talking about the master's family members. That was in the news reports. Zero optics issues with regular staff members families being vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,086 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

He has apoligised to obviously knows it was not exactly the right thing to do

Master of the Coombe maternity hospital Prof Michael O’Connell said that he "wholeheartedly" apologised for the incident.

Responding to a query from the Irish Times, Prof O'Connell said: "Had they not been used they would have been discarded. I was keenly aware of that and throughout the evening and from 9.30pm onward I personally made every effort to prioritise and identify additional frontline workers and followed all measures available to me at the time.

“In hindsight, as Master I deeply regret that family members of employees were vaccinated and for that I wholeheartedly apologise
    .”

SteM wrote: »
    Sure why would you need proof when you can make baseless accusations. Isn't that whet the internet was invented for.

You think this is an isolated incident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

_Brian wrote: »
    In other centres there aren’t enough vaccinations to go round so excess isn’t a problem.

Pity now is it will be a safer bet to bin them than have outrage over who gets them.

It's not a binary choice between throwing them away and giving them to your daughter's. Could have easily given them to patients in the hospital who are high risk and perhaps save their life.

Advertisement