Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

I imagine its fairly straightforward. If a topic has dropped out of the news and the thread isn't causing too many problems, then it's no problem letting it run. But if there's nothing new to say about and people are consistently acting the maggot, it makes sense to lock it up.

Does seem to be one of those topics, like the Maria Bailey swing thing, that attracted a bizarre level of interest relative to the public attention it received.

If someone is "acting the maggot" get rid of them from the thread. It's as simple as that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

This is it wrote: »
    If someone is "acting the maggot" get rid of them from the thread. It's as simple as that.

There may be some argument for that if mods had an infinite amount of time available to them. How much time do you think they should spend getting rid of people from a thread on a topic that's run its course before they eventually call a halt to it?

There may be some argument for that if mods had an infinite amount of time available to them. How much time do you think they should spend getting rid of people from a thread on a topic that's run its course before they eventually call a halt to it?

How long is a piece of string?

There's no set time on how long a mod should spend on a thread. Who decides if a thread has run its course? A thread has run its course, in my opinion, when it falls away naturally. And if mods threadbanned or banned users, as they said they would in the second to last warning, then that could be let happen.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the issues mods face, I was around for some highly contentious threads, but locking a thread because a few are causing trouble is the easy way out. It has long been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I imagine if current criteria for closing threads is to be applied the Gemma O'D thread for example can be closed I mean she's banned off all platforms no real interest there or updates so should be closed by the CA mods?
    Also the idiots flaunting the current Covid lockdowns to have vigils and protests outside the Blanch Gardai station for George Nkencho few days back are keeping the story in the public eye/social media trends so thread should be left open and ban and card posters who ignore the warnings.
    That's my feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

nullzero wrote: »
    Nkencho thread closing is OTT.
    Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Closure of the 'George Nkencho' thread is over the top and should be re-opened.

What's left to be discussed? Nothing, so it just moved on to racist Nigerian bashing despite repeated mod requests to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Sir Oxman wrote: »

It was eventually closed but a mod opened up a newly titled thread.
    Maybe a new thread title is all that's required?

We have a 'multiculturalism' thread, and a BLM thread, which itself was opened after another couple threads were closed, i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Effects wrote: »
    What's left to be discussed?.

Did he fire six shots or only five?

What's left to be discussed? Nothing, so it just moved on to racist Nigerian bashing despite repeated mod requests to stop.

Yeah, you don't request racist Nigerian bashing to stop, and you definitely don't do it more than once. Issue a warning, if you don't follow it then you should expect mod action.

What's left to be discussed? Hypothetically, I want to add my opinion now. I can't. I want to add to the discussion, I can't. Why? Because it's now deemed to not be a current affairs, or there's nothing more to discuss. As I said to Beasty earlier, the site runs on opinion, people can't give their opinion that subject now.

Ban the troublemakers and let those that want to discuss the intricacies of the topic do so if they so wish. That goes for threads in general, I couldn't really care less about the thread this issue was raised against.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Did he fire six shots or only five?

That's been answered. 6 shots. It was answered before the post mortem, and then confirmed afterwards.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Approximately 1 in every 11 posts made in the thread were deleted

Numerous mod warnings were issued, along with threadbans, cards and forum bans. A final in-thread warning was issued yesterday.

A mod was dealing with reports and closing the thread at 2 o'clock this morning.

The shooting was discussed extensively. It will be investigated by appropriate authorities. It is not for us to pre-judge any of that. Once relevant investigations produce reports I am sure the topic will be discussed again.

The mods responsible for this forum are mainly also dealing with the Coronavirus Forum, and some with AH as well.

And before anyone cries "more mods" - we are looking at that, but more people modding results in more inconsistency - one of the issues that posters are complaining about in this thread

And no-one has indicated anything new relating to the incident that has not already been discussed in the thread. Plenty want to take it off at a tangent. Some want to be judge and jury against the Gardai. Some want to discuss topics that can be and indeed have been discussed in other thread in the forum. Some want to go over the same ground again.

I am seeing absolutely nothing though that warrants the re-opening of that thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nazis win again .

It's amazing a small chort of posters are repeatedly allowed to get away with getting threads locked and shout down anyone who doesn't agree with their
    ideological woke ideals,

Gatling wrote: »
    Nazis win again .

It's amazing a small chort of posters are repeatedly allowed to get away with getting threads locked and shout down anyone who doesn't agree with their
    ideological woke ideals,

In spite of your belief, I suspect it was the poster's behaviour in the thread that were responsible for it getting locked rather than people who have offered feedback. Imagine Beasty and the likes will say as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Don’t know why the mod team don’t just say “it’s under investigation so from a legal point we’d prefer not to have chat on the matter” rather than “PM me if you think your reason is good enough.”. The second statement there actually reads quite farcically. Sets a bad precedent. Poor leadership, in my humble opinion of course.

I suspect it was the posters behaviour in the thread that were responsible for it getting locked.

Sounds like the old class punishment from a teacher who can’t or doesn’t want to handle the troublemakers in the room so everyone gets 100 lines.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Don’t know why the mod team don’t just say “it’s under investigation so from a legal point we’d prefer not to have chat on the matter” rather than “PM me if you think your reason is good enough.”. The second statement there actually reads quite farcically. Sets a bad precedent. Poor leadership, in my humble opinion of course.

I'd prefer honesty, whatever they may be. No point saying it's one thing if it's actually something else. The real reason might be annoying, but it's certainly less annoying than mods lying to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,366 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'm pretty sure you'd still be posting there if it were open and you hadn't been thread banned.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In spite of your belief,

No not buying it for one second , it's was a small cohort of posters who repeatedly spammed the report button to make sure the thread got closed when it was realised it had nothing to do with racism (no surprise )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,366 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

In spite of your belief, I suspect it was the poster's behaviour in the thread that were responsible for it getting locked rather than people who have offered feedback. Imagine Beasty and the likes will say as much.

The funny thing is that countless posters attempted to go on crusades to prove that George Nkencho was shot because of his skin colour and not one of them provided a shred of evidence to support that claim.

The next step was to get the thread closed by making as much noise as possible.

The likes of the Gemma O'Doherty thread are essentially playgrounds for people to post abusive nonsense about a person who is clearly not shuffling a full deck, but they aren't part of a group of people who we should be careful about offending so it's fair game.

The same can be said about the multiple threads about Trump, essentially just go to places to go and shoot fish in a barrel, but the countless tiresome posts about what an imbecile Trump is are left up for all to read even though they offer little in terms of discussion.

Glazers Out!

This is it wrote: »
    I'd prefer honesty, whatever they may be. No point saying it's one thing if it's actually something else. The real reason might be annoying, but it's certainly less annoying than mods lying to you.

Well the “PM me and I’ll consider it” one isn’t fantastic. It’s like laying down a gauntlet or challenge. Especially when the admin has thanked posts saying it should be left shut by someone who has openly called for its closure for a long time now. There’s plenty of decent posters on there.

Like if people want to discuss something as rare as a Garda killing, why not let them. Politicians and leaders are having their say. It’s a big enough story. Other factors at plan like mass gatherings in a Covid world, community tensions, integrity of reporting etc. Wonder what the right reason is to reopen? Wonder what the magic words are. I’ve personally had my fill of it by now and have left the thread voluntarily but I wouldn’t try to stop others talking about it. So what if some points are being revised or discussed again, once it’s inside the parameters of the charter, it’s all good. The thread has naturally lost steam so shouldn’t be as hard to monitor as it was say two weeks ago.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don’t know why the mod team don’t just say “it’s under investigation so from a legal point we’d prefer not to have chat on the matter”
    That would be factually incorrect.

And I have been honest. I do not believe there is anything more that can be discussed at this time. If something new crops up we will reconsider. Equally we may well not see anything new until the authorities undertake their investigations

• Advertisement

Well the “PM me and I’ll consider it” one isn’t fantastic. It’s like laying down a gauntlet or challenge.
    I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion of what can or cannot result in a re-opening. I offered posters the opportunity to PM me rather than taking this thread away from it's primary purpose.

And yes it is without doubt throwing out a challenge. You convince me there is something new and we will give consideration. If no-one does we will not.

Well the “PM me and I’ll consider it” one isn’t fantastic. It’s like laying down a gauntlet or challenge. Especially when the admin has thanked posts saying it should be left shut by someone who has openly called for its closure for a long time now. There’s plenty of decent posters on there.

Like if people want to discuss something as rare as a Garda killing, why not let them. Politicians and leaders are having their say. It’s a big enough story. Other factors at plan like mass gatherings in a Covid world, community tensions, integrity of reporting etc. Wonder what the right reason is to reopen? Wonder what the magic words are. I’ve personally had my fill of it by now and have left the thread voluntarily but I wouldn’t try to stop others talking about it. So what if some points are being revised or discussed again, once it’s inside the parameters of the charter, it’s all good. The thread has naturally lost steam so shouldn’t be as hard to monitor as it was say two weeks ago.

I completely agree on all of those points, my post was regarding the suggestion that the mod should close the thread citing "legal issues".

Why would we want mods to lie. We don't. The truth, as annoying as it is, is the truth and leaves it open to be raised here for discussion. Even if that seems futile.

Beasty wrote: »
    And yes it is without doubt throwing out a challenge. You convince me there is something new and we will give consideration. If no-one does we will not.

That reads absolutely awfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Antifa thread was closed, because the mods had thought it had run it's course and generated a colossal amount of reported posts.

Closed during the height of the summer protests, so it wasn't closed because there wasn't nothing new talk about.

Same few cohort of posters got that closed by pressing the report button.

That reads absolutely awfully.

A family friend of mine was murdered in dublin years ago,and that thread filled horrible things about him ,was last time i checked still open

Its a pure cop out closing this thread,could easy let it open and close in heavy on off-topic discussion

Antifa thread was closed, because the mods had thought it had run it's course and generated a colossal amount of reported posts.

Closed during the height of the summer protests, so it wasn't closed because there wasn't nothing new talk about.

Same few cohort of posters got that closed by pressing the report button.

Thing is you're making a claim that you have no proof of... Rather than considering the possibility that people were blatantly breaking rules etc and making threads unmanageable for mods.

Thing is you're making a claim that you have no proof of... Rather than considering the possibility that people were blatantly breaking rules etc and making threads unmanageable for mods.

No proof?

Morning all. The CA/IMHO mods have decided that this thread has run it's course.
    A handful of posters are dominating this thread and generating a colossal amount of reported posts.

Our options were some thread bans, or close the thread. Closing the thread was unanimous.

No proof?

Morning all. The CA/IMHO mods have decided that this thread has run it's course.
    A handful of posters are dominating this thread and generating a colossal amount of reported posts.

Our options were some thread bans, or close the thread. Closing the thread was unanimous.

And final line makes it pretty clear that those dominating were breaking the rules.... So those breaking the rules were generating the work.

And final line makes it pretty clear that those dominating were breaking the rules.... So those breaking the rules were generating the work.

No it doesn't.

Just because you bashed the report button doesn't mean any rules were broken.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't.

Just because you bashed the report button doesn't mean any rules were broken.

The options were thread bans or closing the thread... That pretty clearly indicates rules were broken en masse. You also overestimate how much time me or other users spend reporting posts. I think I reported one yesterday and not much more over the course of a week. Tend to report particularly dodgy posts. That's not remotely abuse of reporting system and posts getting actioned are because rules have been broken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement