Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ah right. I thought you might have had actual, not anecdotal evidence.

There’s hardly going to be a peer-reviewed study about the thread. See who has been threadbanned. If they are a regular user and you are a regular user, you will have a good idea of their political allegiances.

Is there any good reason to keep on going with the George thread - other than clicks?

This was my last post on it;

"Ugh, here I go with my post to the ether.

The guy is dead. The investigation is presumably ongoing.

The family of the dead guy can read all this.

The family of the Guards involved can read all this.

Does it need to go on?"

But now people are making rap jokes on the thread. Nice look for the site.

It shouldn't be about reporting posters, it should be about shutting down sh*tty threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It shouldn't be about reporting posters, it should be about shutting down sh*tty threads.
    I think exactly the opposite.

Shutting down threads seems to be the less troublesome thing to do, rather than take action against individual posters who may head to DRP.

Leave threads open for people who want to discuss the topic, get rid of those who just want to act the dick.

Do you see any value in keeping the George thread open? What new insights are going to be shared there?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I notice a post of mine was deleted on a CA thread without comment. That's bad form. Nothing via PM or on thread. Don't know who to even say it to as nobody cared to leave a name on their action. It was probably because I called out a user for their continued bad faith posting on a thread. If that's it, then but why not say it? But why are some posters allowed to make all the claims in the world they want without proof and disappear when asked to back them up and then have the neck to ask others for proof in the exact same thread for something to suit their narrative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Omackeral wrote: »
    I notice a post of mine was deleted on a CA thread without comment. That's bad form. Nothing via PM or on thread. Don't know who to even say it to as nobody cared to leave a name on their action. It was probably because I called out a user for their continued bad faith posting on a thread. If that's it, then but why not say it? But why are some posters allowed to make all the claims in the world they want without proof and disappear when asked to back them up and then have the neck to ask others for proof in the exact same thread for something to suit their narrative?

If it was backseat moderating that could have been why

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do you see any value in keeping the George thread open? What new insights are going to be shared there?

If posters are filling it with shyte, do something about the posts and posters, clean the thread up, then leave it alone.

When people get tired of talking about it, it will drop away naturally. Just let that happen.

Posts outright accusing people of being "resident racists" are deemed as yellow cards.

These are the same arseholes that claim that "rightwing" people have free reign.

Laughable.

osarusan wrote: »
    If posters are filling it with shyte, do something about the posts and posters, clean the thread up, then leave it alone.

When people get tired of talking about it, it will drop away naturally. Just let that happen.

I guess we'll have to disagree. I think it's a sh*t look to keep a thread going about someone who has died under whatever circumstances. It's not dropping away and it won't unless Boards.ie decide to take a stance on stuff like this.

I fail to see what benefit there is to keep that particular thread running, other than for clicks. It's certainly not for any new information that the posters are going to add to the thread.

Anyway, I've probably got through my righteous indignation for the night. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I guess we'll have to disagree. I think it's a sh*t look to keep a thread going about someone who has died under whatever circumstances. It's not dropping away and it won't unless Boards.ie decide to take a stance on stuff like this.

There's obviously more details to come when the investigation is complete. There's still crowds of idiots breaching Covid restrictions over it daily. Its an ongoing story so it makes no sense to close the thread to keep a handful of whingers happy.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    If it was backseat moderating that could have been why

It was not back seat moderating at all. It was asking a question directly to a poster why they demand proof and evidence yet never give it themselves. Even if it was considered backseat modding in the opinion of the bosses, why not say it instead of deleting stuff without a note. It’s not a great precedent imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

It was not back seat moderating at all. It was asking a question directly to a poster why they demand proof and evidence yet never give it themselves. Even if it was considered backseat modding in the opinion of the bosses, why not say it instead of deleting stuff without a note. It’s not a great precedent imo.

Mods routinely delete stuff without saying anything. Seems to be mostly cleaning up off topic stuff.

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Mods routinely delete stuff without saying anything. Seems to be mostly cleaning up off topic stuff.

Fair enough. I just think the poster deserves to be called on their bad faith posts and it was in keeping with the topic imo

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

There’s hardly going to be a peer-reviewed study about the thread. See who has been threadbanned. If they are a regular user and you are a regular user, you will have a good idea of their political allegiances.

Here, i'm not looking for a peer reviewed study, I'm wondering if there is a way to see the threadbanned users and to figure out their allegiances rather than going off someones recollection.

Back to the original question, how do you see who is threadbanned? Typically there is a list at the start of the thread, but there doesn't appear to be one in this, nor can i find it mentioned in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

osarusan wrote: »
    Shutting down threads seems to be the less troublesome thing to do...
    Do you see any value in keeping the George thread open?

It's clear that some posters want to use the Feedback forum to campaign endlessly against threads/forums/posters they don't like. Is that the purpose of Feedback?

The very nature of a large discussion forum means that not every thread will be to everyone's taste ... but this increasing spirit of censoriousness, and these ceaseless calls to lock threads, ban posters, etc., seem to me entirely contrary to the spirit of open debate that Boards should be seeking to foster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Same as me yesterday evening and I only found out as he had given me a card for a separate post so I got a PM. Cleaned up all my posts calling out someone for just dodging questions and left the posts I replied to

No on thread warning about why it was cleaned up either. I pmed the mod who said I was off topic. I'm one of the few on there who refuses for the topic to be immediately changed so others can roll off the questions they never answer...

Usually don't have an issue with boards modding but it was very odd that only my stuff was removed. The mod in pm who had deleted my posts several minutes before also asked to be reminded which posts were deleted and they said they hadn't been reading earlier so weren't sure what we were talking about. So how they could be sure it was just me being off topic is questionable.

You have people coming out with statements which if you tried to question them they roll it off and if you push them for an answer you are deleted for being off topic without warning or a mod summary on thread of why it happened.

My feedback is just are all of the mods aware of the level of silent deleting going on? It seems 1 sided so I wonder if its just one mod with some bias

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Usually don't have an issue with boards modding but it was very odd that only my stuff was removed. The mod in pm who had deleted my posts several minutes before also asked to be reminded which posts were deleted and they said they hadn't been reading earlier so weren't sure what we were talking about. So how they could be sure it was just me being off topic is questionable.
    The mod removed a number of posts in a chain of correspondence that were not discussing the underlying topic. In some cases users deleted their own posts (although some remain in quotes)

The post you picked a card up for was very clearly attacking another poster - that post is fully visible with the yellow card showing. The deleted posts were made about 2 and a half hours later in the thread

Either way it's a specific issue in a specific thread - the deleted stuff is not for further discussion here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Beasty wrote: »
    The mod removed a number of posts in a chain of correspondence that were not discussing the underlying topic. In some cases users deleted their own posts (although some remain in quotes)

The post you picked a card up for was very clearly attacking another poster - that post is fully visible with the yellow card showing. The deleted posts were made about 2 and a half hours later in the thread

Either way it's a specific issue in a specific thread - the deleted stuff is not for further discussion here

I didn't for a second question the card. Thanks for the clarification that the poster I was calling out for selectively deleting their own posts was in fact doing it.

I won't bring it up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Here, i'm not looking for a peer reviewed study, I'm wondering if there is a way to see the threadbanned users and to figure out their allegiances rather than going off someones recollection.

Back to the original question, how do you see who is threadbanned? Typically there is a list at the start of the thread, but there doesn't appear to be one in this, nor can i find it mentioned in the thread.

An announcement is made on-thread so that people know to stop replying to a forum member who can’t reply back. I guess a search of posts by forum mods made in the thread would be the most expedient way to find those posts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah right. I thought you might have had actual, not anecdotal evidence.
    Any poster who engaged in that particular thread for any length of time, no matter their allegiance to one side or the other would agree with me. It was pretty obvious SchrodingersCat. Even a few of those who thanked my post on the matter could be hardly described as "right wing" or anti the thread topic. I could delve into that thread and link posts and posters you could follow through the next few pages and you'd see the same pattern, but that's not really cricket in the feedback forum to single out posters like that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fair enough. I just think the poster deserves to be called on their bad faith posts and it was in keeping with the topic imo
    I've had a look at the post and TBH I'm surprised you did not get a PM informing you of a card or forum ban for attacking a poster rather than post. But mod discretion seems to have worked in your favour here.

If you wish to discuss further though, please PM me

An announcement is made on-thread so that people know to stop replying to a forum member who can’t reply back. I guess a search of posts by forum mods made in the thread would be the most expedient way to find those posts.
    Generally I will advise a threadban by quoting a post(s) that I felt went over the line and simply stating "threadbanned"

In some threads, and in particular those where we have multiple iterations, we have started listing threadbans in OPs. We do not typically do so in threads which are likely to be short-lived. It is something we may look to standardise in CA perhaps by putting a list when we get to a "thread 2", as clearly it's not as straightforward for anyone to search another earlier thread if they think someone has been threadbanned. It is always useful when posters report posters they think are threadbanned, as we are unlikely to spot them otherwise particularly in longer/faster moving threads

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Generally I will advise a threadban by quoting a post(s) that I felt went over the line and simply stating "threadbanned"

In some threads, and in particular those where we have multiple iterations, we have started listing threadbans in OPs. We do not typically do so in threads which are likely to be short-lived. It is something we may look to standardise in CA perhaps by putting a list when we get to a "thread 2", as clearly it's not as straightforward for anyone to search another earlier thread if they think someone has been threadbanned. It is always useful when posters report posters they think are threadbanned, as we are unlikely to spot them otherwise particularly in longer/faster moving threads

Thanks. I would find this useful. From reading the Multicultural thread, and from the numbers being mentioned in confidence by posters here, I thought I was missing a list of threadbanned users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’ve had several posts ‘silently’ deleted in the CA thread discussing the shooting of George Nkencho. My posts were either responding to or reinforcing existing arguments, the content of which persist in the public domain.

Is there a specific reason why most recent post was deleted? It feels like a pretty underhand way to censor opinion that was reasonably articulate and did not violate forum rules. I’ll be keeping an eye on this going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I think listing threadbanned users would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Hamachi wrote: »
    I’ve had several posts ‘silently’ deleted in the CA thread discussing the shooting of George Nkencho.

I've just noticed I've had a pretty innocuous post silently deleted from the unpopular opinions thread (it's quoted in this post). I'm guessing it was deleted accidentally, as a number of posts on the same page were deleted because they quoted a troll. Which is fine, I don't mind. But if, for some reason, it was deliberately deleted, it would be nice to be told why.

.anon. wrote: »
    I've just noticed I've had a pretty innocuous post silently deleted from the unpopular opinions thread (it's quoted in this post). I'm guessing it was deleted accidentally, as a number of posts on the same page were deleted because they quoted a troll. Which is fine, I don't mind. But if, for some reason, it was deliberately deleted, it would be nice to be told why.

I've just had a look. Caught in the crossfire by the looks of it - the mod was deleting a large number of posting quoting one of our "regulars" who we try not to offer any oxygen to, and yours was inadvertently included. I've undeleted your post

With something like that it's best to drop the mod a PM

Nigerian gangs trafficking children into Ireland for sex.

Are leftie liberals ok with their kids being raped.

Not his first rodeo.

Just some of the nice things to pop up on Boards most popular thread in the last hour or so.

But sure, yeah, clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've just had a look. Caught in the crossfire by the looks of it - the mod was deleting a large number of posting quoting one of our "regulars" who we try not to offer any oxygen to, and yours was inadvertently included. I've undeleted your post

With something like that it's best to drop the mod a PM

The problem is when it’s not clear which mod was involved? Should someone ask in help desk then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Closure of the 'George Nkencho' thread is over the top and should be re-opened.
    Instead of giving the impression of 'giving in' to serial whingers, maybe remove the sub-conversations (for example, Nigerian sex traffickers) and warn or threadban.
    When a good few posters on the 'Gemma' thread were using a guard's suicide as a side scoring point, the right thing was done - comments were removed and the thread kept open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement