Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hassled in work over toilet breaks?

Options
  • 17-01-2021 3:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

I'm currently working part time in a large Irish supermarket. Was called up to the office yesterday regarding my trips to the toilet where they proceeded to tell me how many times and for how long I used the toilet last weekend. I'm not sure if this is legal to begin with as that information could have only been confirmed via CCTV.

I usually go to the toilet at most 2-3 times over an 8 hour shift and no for no longer than 20 minutes at a time. I really can't help it, anytime I eat I usually have to do a number 2 within the next hour or two. Is there any law I can point refer to in order to stop them harassing me in work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Yet you said in another thread you'd covid over the last week, so you were working while having symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I'm currently working part time in a large Irish supermarket. Was called up to the office yesterday regarding my trips to the toilet where they proceeded to tell me how many times and for how long I used the toilet last weekend. I'm not sure if this is legal to begin with as that information could have only been confirmed via CCTV.

I usually go to the toilet at most 2-3 times over an 8 hour shift and no for no longer than 20 minutes at a time. I really can't help it, anytime I eat I usually have to do a number 2 within the next hour or two. Is there any law I can point refer to in order to stop them harassing me in work.

That's an hour a day I take it you do this outside your breaks as otherwise it wouldn't be an issue.

While I can see that your employer might not like it if you were there a year it would be tough shxt but on a health note if you are going 9 times a day you need a medical person to check out you and your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Maybe a doctors letter might help? 20 minutes is quite excessive for a loo break!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

So you spend an hour in the jacks each day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

Vestiapx wrote: »
    That's an hour a day I take it you do this outside your breaks as otherwise it wouldn't be an issue.

While I can see that your employer might not like it if you were there a year it would be tough shxt but on a health note if you are going 9 times a day you need a medical person to check out you and your diet.

Never more than 3 times. I honestly have no problem going during my breaks but it just never falls that way. I usually eat at the beginning of my break and tend to need to go anywhere from 60-90 minutes after.

• Advertisement

Yet you said in another thread you'd covid over the last week, so you were working while having symptoms?

Hey op if you developed symptoms a week ago then why are you in work yesterday?

Maybe a doctors letter might help? 20 minutes is quite excessive for a loo break!

Is it really? From co-workers using stalls beside me it doesn't seem excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

3 poos in 8 hours definitely sounds excessive! Maybe it’s a doctor you need to see.

Sadb wrote: »
    3 poos in 8 hours definitely sounds excessive! Maybe it’s a doctor you need to see.

I will maybe check with the doctor but I'm not really concerned with my diet. I purposely eat a lot of fiber as it tends to be an area most people are lacking.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Hey op if you developed symptoms a week ago then why are you in work yesterday?

Feeling better now thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you went 2 to 3 times at say 20 minutes a pop then you would be in the toilet for the hole 8 hours of a shift.

Good job op keep up the boul movement and remember to flush and wash your hands, no point thought till when you are clocking out....

So you spend an hour in the jacks each day?

Well to be fair I'm certainly one of the better workers on the floor and I don't stand around chatting in the stockroom unlike some of the staff. I'm willing to bet the majority spend at least an hour each day up there and that's without adding up toilet breaks too.

I'm sure you would have been delighted to be off for 14 days

If you went 2 to 3 times at say 20 minutes a pop then you would be in the toilet for the hole 8 hours of a shift.

Good job op keep up the boul movement and remember to flush and wash your hands, no point thought till when you are clocking out....

Maths certainly isn't your strong point is it? Nor spelling for that matter ..

Well to be fair I'm certainly one of the better workers on the floor and I don't stand around chatting in the stockroom unlike some of the staff. I'm willing to bet the majority spend at least an hour each day up there and that's without adding up toilet breaks too.

So they still do more work then you, surprised they still thought you worked there, one would need to actually do work to be a worker....

So they still do more work then you, surprised they still thought you worked there, one would need to actually do work to be a worker....

You obviously need to re-read my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In relation to cctv, as long as your employer makes you aware of its existence, that isn’t a problem. It’s highly unlikely there is a camera in the restrooms. They don’t need a camera in the toilets, to know you are going to the toilet for an hour a day. 20 mins, is a lot of that reading your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

I will maybe check with the doctor but I'm not really concerned with my diet. I purposely eat a lot of fiber as it tends to be an area most people are lacking.

You're eating a lot of fibre but it takes you 20 minutes for a toilet visit? Explain how it's possible to sit in the loo for 20 minutes having a fibre-rich diet. You're obviously in there on your phone or something.

Dav010 wrote: »
    In relation to cctv, as long as your employer makes you aware of its existence, that isn’t a problem. They don’t need a camera in the toilets, to know you are going to the toilet for an hour a day. 20 mins, is a lot of that reading your phone?

No I'm not claiming there's cameras in the toilets it's just the security man spends more time watching us than watching the bloody shop. I didn't think it was legal as the signs say the CCTV is to prevent theft.

But you have to self isolate for 14 days !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

60 minutes in an hour....
    You go 2 or mostly 3 times in said 60 minutes....

That's minimum 40 minutes and mostly 60 minutes so you had better figure that out fast....

Whole is the correct spelling but I put the other in as a pun but obviously the Sh1t has gone to ones brains

Not that I believe the OP at all but it said 2-3 over the 8 hours, not per hour

2-3 times max over a shift not every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No I'm not claiming there's cameras in the toilets it's just the security man spends more time watching us than watching the bloody shop. I didn't think it was legal as the signs say the CCTV is to prevent theft.

Employees have been known to thieve as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

20 mins in the toilet each time ? Blimey

SteM wrote: »
    You're eating a lot of fibre but it takes you 20 minutes for a toilet visit? Explain how it's possible to sit in the loo for 20 minutes having a fibre-rich diet. You're obviously in there on your phone or something.

Well I can guarantee you I'm eating roughly 5g of fibre per 1000kcals.

I'm not sitting on my phone, we are a busy store and I certainly don't have time for that.

Not that I believe the OP at all but it said 2-3 over the 8 hours, not per hour

Right I stand corrected... I honestly thought we were in after hours, was only having a laugh as I said.

Op my bad honest thought it was 2 or 3 times an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

In relation to cctv, as long as your employer makes you aware of its existence, that isn’t a problem. It’s highly unlikely there is a camera in the restrooms. They don’t need a camera in the toilets, to know you are going to the toilet for an hour a day. 20 mins, is a lot of that reading your phone?

They have to make it aware to the employee what the CCTV is used for.

As much as I disagree with the OPs number of toilet breaks, using the CCTV to track toilet movements is outside of the scope of what they should be used for. Any decent HR person wouldn't go anywhere near a disciplinary using CCTV footage like this

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Didn’t realise trolls had such fibre rich diets.

Employees have been known to thieve as well.

Fair point but we don't tend to store stock in the toilets lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Are you doing anything extra curricular in the bathroom that you need 20 mins?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement