Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Muscle memory and a sub conscious mind mapping of the exact dimensions of the pitch, inherently understanding your precise geometry at any one time

Wow. A pitch is a pitch. It was a lot different last night than Sept, the mind maps would have been out of sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

walshb wrote: »
    Any info on the thuggish Mayo players’ behaviour in the tunnel with Philly?

I'm sure Philly was just asking the time and Mayo lads got very angry.

Sure Philly is as pure as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

What's thuggish is eye gouging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

ArielAtom wrote: »
    A closed fist, ok if that’s your take. Great to see the thanks you’re getting on the post. Says a huge amount.

Do the thanks people get on their posts upset you? I don't even notice.

I'm thinking about the incident near the end where his hand was open. It was a slap not a punch. I only watched the last 15mins which sums up my current interest in football as a spectacle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Eamon_

Dubs used to claim that the team was losing its best players and would run out of steam but I haven't heard that recently because it's been clearly shown to be utter drivel.

At least the pundits have shut up with their "this is a once in a generation group of players"

Nah, it's a conveyor belt of players pumped out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Very disappointed with Niall Scully last night. On a few occasions he received slight enough flat handed challenges across the chest. He went down holding his head and bawling. The lack of a crowd allows you to hear individuals. He's a great footballer but went down in my estimation big time last night.

Congrats to Dublin on the 6 in row. They were the better team. James McCarthy is a real role model for me. What a footballer too. Most of the Dublin team seem like sound fellas and work hard.

Mayo young players like McLaughlin and Conroy will learn from this. Great Gaelic football county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Wow. A pitch is a pitch. It was a lot different last night than Sept, the mind maps would have been out of sync.

Are you trying to make out that the concept of home advantage isn't a thing?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What's thuggish is eye gouging

He was eye gouging before getting punched by a few of them? How did you see that when the cameras didn’t pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

C__MC wrote: »
    Problem is we are looking at a monopoly of kerry dublin mayo finals for the next 20 years

The novelty of an underdog making and winning sam is now over

But in all due respect, besides the few teams that pop up now and then, mainly Tyrone or donegal.

Hasn't it always been mainly kerry vs Dublin.??

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭laoisman11

But in all due respect, besides the few teams that pop up now and then, mainly Tyrone or donegal.

Hasn't it always been mainly kerry vs Dublin.??

Pre-1900: 7 finals with Kerry, Dublin or both, 5 without
    1900-1919: 13 finals with, 7 without
    1920-1939: 15 finals with, 5 without
    1940-1959: 11 finals with, 9 without (Cavan, Mayo and Cork bucked the trend)
    1960-1979: 15 finals with, 5 without
    1980-1999: 11 finals with, 9 without (Cork and Meath made inroads)
    2000-2019: 16 finals with, 4 without

So, yes, pretty much....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

No home advantage, a pitch has to be the dimensions set out in the rules. I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Wrong .
    Croke Park is a bigger pitch to most other county grounds
    Also Bernard Grogan alluded to the fact t in an interview a few years ago that they know where the goals are in relation to the players position on the pitch. That comes with familiarity to a home pitch those are the inches that make up the feet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He was eye gouging before getting punched by a few of them? How did you see that when the cameras didn’t pick it up?

AAhh, I think you know what he means!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Things really get silly when people claim home advantage doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Wrong .
    Croke Park is a bigger pitch to most other county grounds
    Also Bernard Grogan alluded to the fact t in an interview a few years ago that they know where the goals are in relation to the players position on the pitch. That comes with familiarity to a home pitch those are the inches that make up the feet
    Things really get silly when people claim home advantage doesn't exist.

Mod Note

Can we move on from a discussion re the size of the Croke Park pitch and the home advantage argument?

It has got sufficient airing and is only going around in circles as never the twain shall meet.

Discussion of same was not the original intention of this particular thread.

Further discussion can be happily accommodated in following thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115678930#post115678930

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It’s not just about the pitch, stadium. It’s the preparation before leading up to the game, the day/night before and day of the game, it’s about being in a familiar environment and having set routines, and with the crowd there it’s an even bigger advantage for them. I think the Fubs should have offered to play the final this year in Castlebar, just to prove how great they are. Even if it was an offer that would not be entertained, it would have been a good PR action from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Yes, 3 minutes & 45 seconds in to this video.

This is absolutely disgusting by the Mayo select player/players if true. It's quite frankly typical behavior of flat-track bullies.

Poor Eoin Murchan, there's no need for that at all. Can he not be allowed to play on with his football without being subject to this kind of abuse?

Not on my watch said Philly, pick on someone your own size.

Fair play to him for sticking up for his friend & teammate. He is a gentleman & a scholar.

His book is an excellent read for anyone looking for a last minute Xmas present for themselves/loved ones also.

Congrats to Dublin on their 6 in a row, congrats to Philly on his 8th All-Ireland medal & congrats to Eoin Murchan on his 4th, I'm sure there'll be many more to come.

https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1340440243745546245?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Yes, 3 minutes & 45 seconds in to this video.

This is absolutely disgusting by the Mayo select player/players if true. It's quite frankly typical behavior of flat-track bullies.

Poor Eoin Murchan, there's no need for that at all. Can he not be allowed to play on with his football without being subject to this kind of abuse?

Not on my watch said Philly, pick on someone your own size.

Fair play to him for sticking up for his friend & teammate. He is a gentleman & a scholar.

His book is an excellent read for anyone looking for a last minute Xmas present for themselves/loved ones also.

Congrats to Dublin on their 6 in a row, congrats to Philly on his 8th All-Ireland medal & congrats to Eoin Murchan on his 4th, I'm sure there'll be many more to come.

https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1340440243745546245?s=20

ah here, if you believe that now then you're in for an awful surprise when someone tells you the truth about Santa.

Blackjack wrote: »
    ah here, if you believe that now then you're in for an awful surprise when someone tells you the truth about Santa.

I'm going to take a guess without looking, you're from Mayo?

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

From what I can see, Philly has been upfront & honest about the situation & has accounted for the goings on.

It's the Mayo player/s that are keeping us in their dark, or have they their own rendition of events that I am unaware of?

By the way there may be kids reading this, please be respectful & considerate regarding your comments about Santa, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I'm going to take a guess without looking, you're from Mayo?

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

From what I can see, Philly has been upfront & honest about the situation & has accounted for the goings on.

It's the Mayo player/s that are keeping us in their dark, or have they their own rendition of events that I am unaware of?

By the way there may be kids reading this, please be respectful & considerate regarding your comments about Santa, thank you.

I doubt the Mayo players have been asked, to be honest.
    I hope that the truth about Santa doesn't disappoint you too much. There certainly seems to be kids posting here anyway.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Good man Philly for sticking up for your team mate.

Eoin Murchan now has four All-Ireland medals, the Mayo player sledging him has zero.

Keep it up Mayo maybe some year if you're good enough Santa will bring you an All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,615 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have the GAA done anything about the incident in the tunnel?

Or is this all part of the game?

If that happened anywhere else, it would be called common assault...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have the GAA done anything about the incident in the tunnel?

Or is this all part of the game?

If that happened anywhere else, it would be called common assault...

Will they do anything my feck.

The guys in the studio were loving it on RTE. 'Nice to see some bite in the game. It's exactly what Mayo may need'.

Such a bad take of things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Was looking at the Dublin Mayo match programme.

Dessie Farrell has joined three other managers from men's hurling or football who have won the All-Ireland in three different grades Minor, u20/u21 and Senior
    Mickey Harte, Jack O'Connor and Cyril Farrell

I thought it would make a good quiz question.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

callaway92 wrote: »
    Will they do anything my feck.

The guys in the studio were loving it on RTE. 'Nice to see some bite in the game. It's exactly what Mayo may need'.

Such a bad take of things

I'm not one for the usual back and forth but there's no doubt in my mind they'd have made more of it if the Dublin player was the one raising his hands. I wouldn't be getting excited either way (heat of the moment stuff I can easily forgive) but thats true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Keith Higgins is a most mild mannered player. St. Philly must have engaged in serious sledging to produce such a reaction. St. Philly is well known for lippy, verbals...ask Colm Cooper.

He's a sledger par excellance. The poorest player to hold 8 all ireland medals. Paidi O'Se, Pat Spillane, James McCarthy he is not. James mcCarthy is a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    Keith Higgins is a most mild mannered player. St. Philly must have engaged in serious sledging to produce such a reaction. St. Philly is well known for lippy, verbals...ask Colm Cooper.

He's a sledger par excellance. The poorest player to hold 8 all ireland medals. Paidi O'Se, Pat Spillane, James McCarthy he is not. James mcCarthy is a class act.

Harsh bro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Roots 2020 wrote: »

Keith the vast vast majority of the time has such a temperament as you've mentioned.

But he has been known to lose his cool.A red card against Galway cost us a Connacht final.

That's harsh on Mc Mahon.

I wouldn't be his biggest fan but...

Agree James Mc Carthy is a class act.

Hard and tough but ultimately lets his skills do the talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Final watched by 870k.

Advertisement