Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

dobman88 wrote: »
    Also, I said it a few weeks ago and I dont see any reason to change my mind. Mayo are best placed to have a proper cut off Dublin. The way they play and their defensive tenacity. I think they will come straight back up from division 2 and their younger lads will get the experience required for another cut off Dublin. This year was just a year too early for them

In terms of physique alone most of the Mayo young lads need about 2-3 years in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'd much much rather a county beat this superb Dublin team than go messing with professionalism or the splitting Dublin in two nonsense. After Dublin are beaten we can look at all that.

t.

But surely if Dublin are capable of being beaten it ceases to be an issue, no? The championship has always been dominated by a few teams. No one ever mentioned or cared about the competitiveness of Leitrim until Dublin dominated. Then specious arguments about such counties emerged. But if Dublin lose then I imagine we'll just revert to the previous acceptance of a small elite, as long as it's not one and specifically Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Also, I said it a few weeks ago and I dont see any reason to change my mind. Mayo are best placed to have a proper cut off Dublin. The way they play and their defensive tenacity. I think they will come straight back up from division 2 and their younger lads will get the experience required for another cut off Dublin. This year was just a year too early for them

Best placed and yet they fall short time and time again.
    The reality is, no team comes close. Dublin are a professional outfit in all but name - and fair play to them for achieving it. Dublin county board havent done anything wrong, they've just used the resources they had available to them.

Naturally no other county has the resources in terms of playing populations, or financially to compete - this is something the GAA should be fixing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

In terms of physique alone most of the Mayo young lads need about 2-3 years in the gym.

I think 2-3 is a bit of a stretch. They didn't look too physically inferior yesterday and seemed well able. They will have the next few months of gym work, a "blooding in" league campaign. They might not do it in 2021 but they will get another winter of S&C in then and I'd be more confident in Mayos chances for 2022 than any other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think 2-3 is a bit of a stretch. They didn't look too physically inferior yesterday and seemed well able. They will have the next few months of gym work, a "blooding in" league campaign. They might not do it in 2021 but they will get another winter of S&C in then and I'd be more confident in Mayos chances for 2022 than any other team.

You'll be a long time waiting for Mayo to win a senior All Ireland, this team's best chances were a few years ago when they really put it up to Dublin and should have won the year they scored 2 own goals, that was by far their best opportunity. They have regressed since then and don't have the forwards to win an all Ireland, they struggled badly to get over a poor Galway team in Connacht, that doesn't say much for them and I wouldn't be too certain they will even beat Galway next year.
    For what it's worth Dublin also look like they have regressed too, but, still well ahead of the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Honestly tought Mayo had the beating of Dublin during the match yesterday. before hand I'd them written off.
    Looked to have more scoring opportunities during the game but squandered most of their chances whether it was spilling the ball through the tackle inside the 21 dropping a couple of balls in to Cluxtons arms unchallenged. And a few unnecessary wides along with some unforced turnovers which in fairness happened on both sides.
    Against a team like Dublin every chance has to count and show on the score board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Rosita wrote: »
    But surely if Dublin are capable of being beaten it ceases to be an issue, no? The championship has always been dominated by a few teams. No one ever mentioned or cared about the competitiveness of Leitrim until Dublin dominated. Then specious arguments about such counties emerged. But if Dublin lose then I imagine we'll just revert to the previous acceptance of a small elite, as long as it's not one and specifically Dublin.

There's no chance of Dublin being beaten anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd much much rather a county beat this superb Dublin team than go messing with professionalism or the splitting Dublin in two nonsense. After Dublin are beaten we can look at all that.

Dublin will eventually lose a game, and when it happens it will not change the bigger problem one little bit. Dublin winning 8 of the next 10 All-Irelands is still the same problem as Dublin winning all 10 of them.

The system is fundamentally broken, and to paraphrase a poster from on here, "Dublin put their house in order, and now the only thing they need to do to remain totally dominant is continue doing the basics."

Here is a random fact. If for the next ten years every single immigrant to Ireland settled in my county, we would still have substantially less of a population than Dublin.

If one million people appeared in my county tomorrow, we would still have less population than Dublin. That is one million people. 1,000,000. Quite a big number, I'm sure people would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Dublin will eventually lose a game, and when it happens it will not change the bigger problem one little bit. Dublin winning 8 of the next 10 All-Irelands is still the same problem as Dublin winning all 10 of them.

The system is fundamentally broken, and to paraphrase a poster from on here, "Dublin put their house in order, and now the only thing they need to do to remain totally dominant is continue doing the basics."

Here is a random fact. If for the next ten years every single immigrant to Ireland settled in my county, we would still have substantially less of a population than Dublin.

If one million people appeared in my county tomorrow, we would still have less population than Dublin. That is one million people. 1,000,000. Quite a big number, I'm sure people would agree.
    Surely 1mill Kerry men would give you a fighting chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Kerry did not do them selves justice this year and team selection was disasterous,any one think the referee yesterday made alot of bad decisions .Mayo got a few easy frees ,then Dublin got a few but the hit on Lee Keegan was badly missed .In a closer game this would have being criminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

cute geoge wrote: »
    Kerry did not do them selves justice this year and team selection was disasterous,any one think the referee yesterday made alot of bad decisions .Mayo got a few easy frees ,then Dublin got a few but the hit on Lee Keegan was badly missed .In a closer game this would have being criminal

That was really poor it was missed. Dublin lads throwing themselves down then like they were shot was a disgrace as well. Not like they needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭timmyntc

cute geoge wrote: »

Black card inconsistencies too - Coopers first or second offence should have been black, Dublin player who did get black card I thought was harsh.

And the shoulder charge to the chest (how did referee not see it?) should have been yellow and a free in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

timmyntc wrote: »
    Black card inconsistencies too - Coopers first or second offence should have been black, Dublin player who did get black card I thought was harsh.

And the shoulder charge to the chest (how did referee not see it?) should have been yellow and a free in.

Fitz aimed it at the shoulder, Keegan shifted his upper body, should have been a free, don't think it was a yellow. Keegan had a bang on black card just before the first goal right in front of McGoldricks nose which he ignored and O'Shea around the 45th minute blatanly took out Murchan after Murchan had passed the ball and was moving forward, textbook black card in full view of McQuillan and McGoldrick and they both ignored it. Cooper was rightly pulled up for persitently dragging and eventually got a yellow but the same was happening at the other end with the same frequency and McGoldrick ignored it.

Still not as bad as Gough who managed to award only one free to a team in a drawn All-Ireland final, that should be a pub quiz question :D

Don't mind a ref letting stuff go but it needs to be applied to both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Bambi wrote: »
    Fitz aimed it at the shoulder, Keegan shifted his upper body, should have been a free, don't think it was a yellow. Keegan had a bang on black card just before the first goal right in front of McGoldricks nose which he ignored and O'Shea around the 45th minute blatanly took out Murchan after Murchan had passed the ball and was moving forward, textbook black card in full view of McQuillan and McGoldrick and they both ignored it. Cooper was rightly pulled up for persitently dragging and eventually got a yellow but the same was happening at the other end with the same frequency and McGoldrick ignored it.

Still not as bad as Gough who managed to award only one free to a team in a drawn All-Ireland final, that should be a pub quiz question :D

Don't mind a ref letting stuff go but it needs to be applied to both teams

Ah in fairness now Cooper’s pull down was exactly the foul the black card was brought in for but he’s getting away with it for years so it’s no surprise at this stage. The McDaid black card wasn’t one at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

6 in a row, some achievement.

Next question: will they make it 7?

They will be the magnificent 7 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They will be the magnificent 7 next year.

Up to now I have always thought that Dublin could be at some point vulnerable.
    That was based on Mayo getting close to them in 3 finals and a SF.
    And also Kerry running them close a few times in SFs, and of course Donegal beating them.

But since the replay last year and the final yesterday I've changed my tune.

Last year Kerry could have beaten them but that was a game where Dublin played most of it a man down.
    In the replay Dublin coasted in the last quarter as they did last night.

They are just fitter, stronger, have a better bench than anyone out there.

Unless they have a major faux pas on a given day I can't see anyone like Kerry or Mayo touching them, let alone any of the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Bambi wrote: »
    Fitz aimed it at the shoulder, Keegan shifted his upper body
    Comically biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That was really poor it was missed. Dublin lads throwing themselves down then like they were shot was a disgrace as well. Not like they needed to.

And let’s not forget Aidos dirty punch to a lad on the ground. But shure Tis only the dirty Dubs who do that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

ArielAtom wrote: »
    And let’s not forget Aidos dirty punch to a lad on the ground. But shure Tis only the dirty Dubs who do that!!!

That wasn't a punch. You might have a point but don't make things.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    That wasn't a punch. You might have a point but don't make things.

A closed fist, ok if that’s your take. Great to see the thanks you’re getting on the post. Says a huge amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Up to now I have always thought that Dublin could be at some point vulnerable.
    That was based on Mayo getting close to them in 3 finals and a SF.
    And also Kerry running them close a few times in SFs, and of course Donegal beating them.

But since the replay last year and the final yesterday I've changed my tune.

Last year Kerry could have beaten them but that was a game where Dublin played most of it a man down.
    In the replay Dublin coasted in the last quarter as they did last night.

They are just fitter, stronger, have a better bench than anyone out there.

Unless they have a major faux pas on a given day I can't see anyone like Kerry or Mayo touching them, let alone any of the other ones.

The only way it might happen is if Dublin have a man sent off very early much like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Dubs used to claim that the team was losing its best players and would run out of steam but I haven't heard that recently because it's been clearly shown to be utter drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Problem is we are looking at a monopoly of kerry dublin mayo finals for the next 20 years

The novelty of an underdog making and winning sam is now over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

C__MC wrote: »
    Problem is we are looking at a monopoly of kerry dublin mayo finals for the next 20 years

The novelty of an underdog making and winning sam is now over

Mayo or Kerry will be the closest thing to an underdog we'll see for a while, as bizarre as the latter might seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Murchan has more of a Rugby accent.

You mean like Sean O'Brien or Tadhg Furlong; or would you say more like Paul O'Connell. Or indeed Iain Henderson......

Murchan has a Glasnevin accent, reason being that he is from Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Neeson wrote: »
    Croke park is bigger than some other pitches by what? A few centimeters? What a load of Bollix from Colm Cooper.

Its a more than a few centimetres, its a couple of metres, not immaterial.

Pitches in hurling counties seem to be slightly bigger than in football counties. Compare Semple or Nowlan Park to Breffni or Clones.

Croke Park is more in line with the hurling strongholds.

Added to that its a lot fast, especially this time of year, due to drainage.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its a more than a few centimetres, its a couple of metres, not immaterial.

Pitches in hurling counties seem to be slightly bigger than in football counties. Compare Semple or Nowlan Park to Breffni or Clones.

Croke Park is more in line with the hurling strongholds.

Added to that its a lot fast, especially this time of year, due to drainage.

So it’s a good surface and is the correct dimensions. Does that give one team an advantage? Or would people prefer games were played in a mud bath?

ArielAtom wrote: »
    So it’s a good surface and is the correct dimensions. Does that give one team an advantage? Or would people prefer games were played in a mud bath?

Muscle memory and a sub conscious mind mapping of the exact dimensions of the pitch, inherently understanding your precise geometry at any one time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Next year final will be Dublin vs the Dublin Jackies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any info on the thuggish Mayo players’ behaviour in the tunnel with Philly?

Advertisement