Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Still cant see it. Time and time again Mayo have let it slip when one hand on the trophy. The only difference Saturday will be Dublin wont give them a sniff of it. They are ruthless, Mayo are anything but sadly.
    Bull****, the only time they have had one hand on the trophy was the 1996 final, both days against Meath. Every other final they were the underdog, perhaps marginally not so against Donegal in 2013 but could have gone either way. You could argue that they had Dublin beaten in 2017 until Vaughan got the red card but there was still a good 10 minutes left at that stage and plenty of teams have lost matches with a 1 man advantage so no guarantees then either.

billyhead wrote: »
    In order for Mayo to beat Dublin, Dublin have to play well under par and Mayo to have the game of their lives.

The first part should be covered, they always play poorly against Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

eastie17 wrote: »
    Small margins? Cillian O'Connor, of the non marquee forward O'Connors has the stones to kick an equaliser from around 45 metres in the 7th minute of injury time of an all ireland final. Denis Bastick then picks the ball off the ground from the kickout, should have been a tap over free to win the all ireland. Small margins indeed
    https://youtu.be/WBftNs6l3Ts?t=5823

Even when those decisions don't go in your favour, that's the small margin you need or don't get to make the difference. Sometimes you get those calls, sometimes you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭billyhead

Can't see it happening on Saturday. The pressures of the drive for 5 @ without fan pressure in the stands that's bonus territory. I see Dublin winning by a minimum of 7-8 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

I’ve never seen Dublin play poorly against Mayo, bar maybe game 1 in 2016, they just haven’t dominated games they way they usually do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

No, I don’t believe I did misinterpret the point.“Tobefrank” didn’t explicitly state he meant they were the best team of the era, if he had have, I wouldn’t have brought it up. It could have been taken in either context.

Based on who Mayo have beaten this year though it would be fair to say that a tougher semi final against division 1 status could have ended the year for them.

Paradoxical claim to say it’s convenient that I mentioned their relegation, as if that means nothing, then you state that they were league champions last year.

I hope they win on Saturday by the way, just don’t buy into this belief that they’re the second best this year.
    I don’t disagree with you that they’re the second best team of the era.

I believe that if donegal or Kerry had have gotten a run to the final they’d be just as well suited to give Dublin a rattle.
    But sure that’s bridesmaid talk, they aren’t there and Mayo are!

Ah to be honest Kerry by their standards have done nothing of note now for a good six years & Donegal haven’t even made a Semi Final since 2014, it’s a stretch to suggest them as AI contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Small margins? Cillian O'Connor, of the non marquee forward O'Connors has the stones to kick an equaliser from around 45 metres in the 7th minute of injury time of an all ireland final. Denis Bastick then picks the ball off the ground from the kickout, should have been a tap over free to win the all ireland. Small margins indeed
    https://youtu.be/WBftNs6l3Ts?t=5823

Couldn't believe that Bastick got away with that at the time and that none of the so called analysts spoke about it afterwards. It was a definite free in which would have been the last kick of the game to win it for Mayo. I don't usually give out about refs but as a Mayo supporter it was hard to take.

Mayo people talk about 1996 and McHale getting sent off in the final as being a terrible referring decision but it pales in comparison to the above in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Couldn't believe that Bastick got away with that at the time and that none of the so called analysts spoke about it afterwards. It was a definite free in which would have been the last kick of the game to win it for Mayo. I don't usually give out about refs but as a Mayo supporter it was hard to take.

Mayo people talk about 1996 and McHale getting sent off in the final as being a terrible referring decision but it pales in comparison to the above in 2016.

Yes I agree, I'm a Dub and when Bastick did that, I shouted 'Ya stupid b#####d' but I would have blamed Connolly for not letting Kilkenny take that late sideline kick if we had lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Bull****, the only time they have had one hand on the trophy was the 1996 final, both days against Meath. Every other final they were the underdog, perhaps marginally not so against Donegal in 2013 but could have gone either way. You could argue that they had Dublin beaten in 2017 until Vaughan got the red card but there was still a good 10 minutes left at that stage and plenty of teams have lost matches with a 1 man advantage so no guarantees then either.

They were definitely the underdogs in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Peter Canavan mentioned it on the radio on Monday but I don't recall any of the RTE TV pundits discussing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Always? Do you remember last years semi final?
    ‘Always’ would include league games too, all fairly easy wins for one team in particular both home & away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

Well this is certainly embarrassing. Mayo have beaten Galway, one of the best sides in Division 1. They also beat Roscommon who won division 2 and on their day are a very good side. Mayo have had by far the tougher run, just in Connacht alone.

Dublin beat a relegated division 1 side and a relegated division 2 side in the AI semi final. That said, Dublin beat both comfortably and are unlikely to be seriously challenged by Mayo. Mayo will put it up to Dublin for long stretches as they have done in past games, but unfortunately would not have the bench to match Dublin's. I also think Dublin benefit hugely from having Croke Park as a home ground in that its a massive pitch and they are used to the extra stamina and energy required. Mayo on the otherhand tend to run out of steam in Croke Park in big games. At this stage Dublin know Croke Park's pitch dimensions and surface like the back of their hand, which is a definite advantage in gaelic football. In elite sport its often the 1 or 2% advantage you can find here or there that add up to a big advantage in the end.

Not sure what’s embarrassing about it at all, valid opinion, as is yours. The soccer forum is where the ludicrous statements lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Dublin for the win and I hope its at least a decent game. As a Dub, if Mayo win so be it and best of luck to them. A crazy year no matter what way we look at it. Watching an All Ireland Final during Christmas week at home with cans.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think it will be close Saturday
    The pitch will suit mayo
    They will have to be physical and be brave on the knockouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Hearing the talk from Horan and co this week, I dont think they'll suddenly starting dropping in a sweeper! Itll be a balls to the wall shoot out, where Mayo could win or be blown out of the water. Either way, doesnt sound like there'll be any fundamental changes in approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 revelino70

There’s a lot of talk among the pundits regarding how Mayo tactics and what would work to beat Dublin. As usual, the pundits suggest the big high ball in front of the square. They’ve been talking this ****e for years now, and I can’t remember one instance where it’s worked. Maybe it’ll work on Saturday, but I can’t see it. Mayo will have to go short on kick outs and then bypass the midfield because Fenton will destroy them if they go long. The only way I can see Mayo winning is good fortune for them - injuries to key dubs, a red card or two, ****ty weather making a lottery of the whole thing... it might happen, like it did for offaly in 82, but I just can’t see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes, yes you are right they has 1 hand on trophy in 2017. They should have won in 2013 but for a collapse when in control early on. 2016 was a game they were better team but did not feel they could win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

After seeing mayos interpretation on defense i can only see them being competitive for 20minutes. Cillian o connor wont rescue them. Dublin to finally wipe the floor with a team in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I believe that if donegal or Kerry had have gotten a run to the final they’d be just as well suited to give Dublin a rattle.

What does this even mean?

"If another team got to the final they would give Dublin a game!"

Quite the hot take.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

What does this even mean?

"If another team got to the final they would give Dublin a game!"

Quite the hot take.

Quite straight forward really, do you have problems deciphering the English language ?

Again, it’s an opinion that Kerry or Donegal with their style of play, and personnel would have been equipped to give Dublin just as good a game as Mayo, that’s it.

But after Saturday we will know if that good game even stands within 10 points.

How’s that for you? Was I clear enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Quite straight forward really, do you have problems deciphering the English language ?

Again, it’s an opinion that Kerry or Donegal with their style of play, and personnel would have been equipped to give Dublin just as good a game as Mayo, that’s it.

Go away out of that, Donegal couldn't put away Cavan .They would want to of won the Ulster final by 10+ points to compete against Dublin.
    Kerry bet by Cork marginly would want to be winning Munster by double figures also to even contemplate competing against Dublin.
    The only team capable of beating Dublin is an all star best of the rest team that put in a years team building and training at Croker. Then we'd have a game.
    Pie in the sky I know but wouldn't be a bad charity game possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

There's been a lot of talk about Mayo being open in the full back line, from the Tipperary game. I'd be more concerned about them at midfield- they got absolutely destroyed there by Galway, and that's been a problem area for Galway for years now. And the only midfielder who has looked like winning any consistent ball there in the recent past for Galway, Tom Flynn, didn't even play.

Dublin could have a field day in that central third.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

mayo usually get the match ups right against dublin, bar an injured keegan being played out of position in the full back line last year, the collective of dublin and impact off the bench usually overwhelms them.. its a transition year for mayo with 7 new starters from the same game last year.. cant see them stopping dublin and midfield is a massive problem area for mayo...

think it could get quite dirty and cynical, esp if mayo are still in the game, could be alot of incidents, ref will have a massive say on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

elefant wrote: »
    There's been a lot of talk about Mayo being open in the full back line, from the Tipperary game. I'd be more concerned about them at midfield- they got absolutely destroyed there by Galway, and that's been a problem area for Galway for years now. And the only midfielder who has looked like winning any consistent ball there in the recent past for Galway, Tom Flynn, didn't even play.

Dublin could have a field day in that central third.

Completely agree. My biggest fear. There is an element of burying the head in the sand on this one. The perception has been thrown out there that Ruane and Loftus are a lot more mobile than previous midfield pairings and will put it up to Fenton/McCarthy/Howard, running wise. And that that will compensate for any drawbacks that we have in terms of arial duals. I don’t buy into this at all.

Loftus and Ruane will not have the legs for whatever midfield pairing Dublin have and will get demolished on long kickouts. Mayo have not just struggled in midfield in large patches of every match so far; they were destroyed on long kickouts – Leitrim, Roscommon, Galway and TIpperary.
    Whatever happens, Mayo cannot go down that route – kicking the ball out to the middle. But the catch22 situation is that we have a keeper who is not confident on the short kick outs. It will be a huge problem. And unless some clever plan is put in place, will be the downfall in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's very little point in any pre-match analysis of this match. All logic points to a Dublin win.
    So it's hoping from the best from a Mayo perspective here, in that we have a great day and Dublin have an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jesus, you're awful uppity. It's not that you aren't clear it's that it's a gormless post of no real value and it's hard to really analyse it much further to drive the discussion forward.

Your determination is that teams who aren't in the final, and who got beaten by Cork and Cavan would be better equipped to beat Dublin than the team who is in the final.

Bang of "if my aunt had balls" off your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

revelino70 wrote: »
    There’s a lot of talk among the pundits regarding how Mayo tactics and what would work to beat Dublin. As usual, the pundits suggest the big high ball in front of the square. They’ve been talking this ****e for years now, and I can’t remember one instance where it’s worked. Maybe it’ll work on Saturday, but I can’t see it. Mayo will have to go short on kick outs and then bypass the midfield because Fenton will destroy them if they go long. The only way I can see Mayo winning is good fortune for them - injuries to key dubs, a red card or two, ****ty weather making a lottery of the whole thing... it might happen, like it did for offaly in 82, but I just can’t see it.

Mayo are a running team based on turnovers
    Their half backs basically sprint up the pitch with the ball. their midfield is based on winning breaks - their half forwards flood the middle
    a lot of their scores come from frees

Dublin have the athletes to subdue that gameplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Completely agree. My biggest fear. There is an element of burying the head in the sand on this one. The perception has been thrown out there that Ruane and Loftus are a lot more mobile than previous midfield pairings and will put it up to Fenton/McCarthy/Howard, running wise. And that that will compensate for any drawbacks that we have in terms of arial duals. I don’t buy into this at all.

Loftus and Ruane will not have the legs for whatever midfield pairing Dublin have and will get demolished on long kickouts. Mayo have not just struggled in midfield in large patches of every match so far; they were destroyed on long kickouts – Leitrim, Roscommon, Galway and TIpperary.
    Whatever happens, Mayo cannot go down that route – kicking the ball out to the middle. But the catch22 situation is that we have a keeper who is not confident on the short kick outs. It will be a huge problem. And unless some clever plan is put in place, will be the downfall in my opinion.

Clarke is very good on the short kickouts. The problem is that Dublin will shut them down at times during the game. It's the long ones that cause us issues. Both because of Clarke's high kicking trajectory and the fact we don't have a physically dominant midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Mayo are a running team based on turnovers
    Their half backs basically sprint up the pitch with the ball. their midfield is based on winning breaks - their half forwards flood the middle
    a lot of their scores come from frees

Dublin have the athletes to subdue that gameplan.

I don't think that's true over the last few years. We've mixed it up a lot more with kick passing into the full forward line. Tipperary and Galway scored more frees than us this year.

Show me a team that doesn't have half backs sprinting up the pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mayo are winning tomorrow

Were in for a shock

Advertisement