Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage: is it worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Ok, as someone whose career has been completely derailed by kids and the lack of a support from a spouse, I 100% disagree. I'm not on great money, around €100k but if I could put time into my business I think there would be huge potential to earn more. I'd have no problems with 60% division if partner gave me opportunity to succeed.

That reminded me of one of the famous quotes

“ I get give or take, it works out at about with expenses 140,000 a year and I pay 30.3% tax on that, so it’s about a net 100,000 and out of that 100,000 I run a home in Dublin, Castlebar and Brussels. I wanna tell you something, try it sometime”

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ok, as someone whose career has been completely derailed by kids and the lack of a support from a spouse, I 100% disagree. I'm not on great money, around €100k but if I could put time into my business I think there would be huge potential to earn more. I'd have no problems with 60% division if partner gave me opportunity to succeed.

Work life balance is nearly impossible running your own business

you could earn much more but spend very time with your children

that's a mistake believe me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Work life balance is nearly impossible running your own business

you could earn much more but spend very time with your children

that's a mistake believe me

I agree. I don't even have the time to cook a dinner most days. if I worked the way I do as a dad or partner, the relationship wouldnt last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm not on great money, around €100k
    €100k is not great money? Even half that would be great money to me.

pwurple wrote: »
    Lol

Anyone else read this and think, virgin? Keep inflating them thermo. Keep that novelty alive.

It is ok you know if men or indeed women don't want to get married or 'settle down' and instead enjoy casual encounters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Thermo905 wrote: »
    And for a lot of people that is exactly what they should do as they aren't cut out for marriage and kids, which can lead to problems for the kids.

Is it not difficult to find women who aren't interested in anything serious? Not sure how old you are but certainly mid 30s plus pretty much every single one of them is looking for something serious, from my experience anyway.
    I'm only single about 6 or 7 months so I'll be staying away from dating sites etc for a while yet, no point in meeting people if you're head's not in the right place and you're wasting their time, and your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gmak2442

I vote yes because it's a great thing of life. But I add that it depend on whom in my book. Also, luck an other factors are in the game for if it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

People change, situations change over the years . I did it. And it ended after 23yrs. We exited fairly and relatively amicably. But wouldn't do it again. :)

Thermo905 wrote: »
    Obvously now it's difficult, but pre-covid I wouldn't say it was difficult. I'm 36 so I have a wide range of options, from about 23 to 42 is my age range. I think it's important to be upfront and honest and let them know that you'll be seeing other women. So I expect them to see other men too and not get attached to me.

Maybe I'm naïve but I would have thought that that wouldn't fly with the majority of people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Maybe I'm naïve but I would have thought that that wouldn't fly with the majority of people

Friends with benefits always leads to one (usually the woman) getting feelings for the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've only ever met one girl who was in an open relationship but she was as mad as a bag of nipples. She went through most of the lads in my job. It's a pity I was transferred to a different department not long after she started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I agree. I don't even have the time to cook a dinner most days. if I worked the way I do as a dad or partner, the relationship wouldnt last long.

some women are supportive of a ninety hour week partner , most arent

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Friends with benefits always leads to one (usually the woman) getting feelings for the other.

I could never do this myself, unless I really like them I don't want to be sleeping with them in the first place. Maybe I should have been a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I could never do this myself, unless I really like them I don't want to be sleeping with them in the first place. Maybe I should have been a woman.

Jaysus, you’d never get out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

i would be supportive of a man working 200 hours a week once he lodged his check into our joint account !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    some women are supportive of a ninety hour week partner , most arent

My old boss used to work 6 days a week because his missus wanted to keep up with the Jones although she didn't want to contribute to it . He couldn't stand her anymore and decided to get a divorce , she ended up getting a big house , paid for by him while he moved back to his parents at nearly 50 years of age. And for spite , she reported him to the tax man for doing jobs for cash at the weekends , he was only doing the jobs to pay for the big house and fancy car she wanted. Marriage ?? No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I always get the shtick of when you get older you won't want to be alone, I would happily live on my own and have friends who will probably never get married either. In general, I think a lot of people are questioning the idea of life partnerships as being a general one size fits all approach. Not a healthy mindset to have or an expectation you should feel obliged to aim for unless it is something you want and I mean really, really want.

I think a partner for the long term would be nice and if we got to a point in our lives where we knew that we were together for the long haul I would happily get married. I don't really believe in as big as a commitment as marriage being something you have to go into after X amount of years. For what? We could be completely different people in another 10 years.

Heck, I can't wrap my head having to change my ways for one person and wouldn't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

That reminded me of one of the famous quotes

“ I get give or take, it works out at about with expenses 140,000 a year and I pay 30.3% tax on that, so it’s about a net 100,000 and out of that 100,000 I run a home in Dublin, Castlebar and Brussels. I wanna tell you something, try it sometime”

id say this quote is made on average once a day on boards.ie in completely different contexts. it is a great quote and well delivered on the Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

chrissb8 wrote: »
    I always get the shtick of when you get older you won't want to be alone, I would happily live on my own and have friends who will probably never get married either. In general, I think a lot of people are questioning the idea of life partnerships as being a general one size fits all approach. Not a healthy mindset to have or an expectation you should feel obliged to aim for unless it is something you want and I mean really, really want.

I think a partner for the long term would be nice and if we got to a point in our lives where we knew that we were together for the long haul I would happily get married. I don't really believe in as big as a commitment as marriage being something you have to go into after X amount of years. For what? We could be completely different people in another 10 years.

Heck, I can't wrap my head having to change my ways for one person and wouldn't want to.

my perception is that older couples spend less time together. there are less trips bringing the kids to the zoo. and they develop separate interests.

plus you need to have a big house, cause unwritten rule with older couples that they have their own rooms or spaces. and you cant stray into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Stan27 wrote: »
    Is it worth it anymore?
    Looking at it from mans point of view, but is there any real benefit for it, which is essentially an expensive party.
    I know if things go bad and divorce happens, the men seem to get the bad end of the stick.
    Obviously there are are a good lot of great marriages out there so it still suits a lot of people.

Larry King once asked the comedian/presenter Bill Maher why he had never married, even though he'd had many relationships over the years. Maher replied, "Larry, marriage suits a lot of people. They're called 'women'":p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Larry King once asked the comedian/presenter Bill Maher why he had never married, even though he'd had many relationships over the years. Maher replied, "Larry, marriage suits a lot of people. They're called 'women'":p

Tell me about it my girl is a Christian diehard there’s no way we were staying together without marriage. The one thing she won’t do however is have children because she doesn’t want mixed race she spoke purity of love; heart, people and from thereon I knew she was talking my language. At which point marriage seemed like the perfect idea and so I just rolled with it? Haven’t looked back since...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bobblehats wrote: »
    The one thing she won’t do however is have children because she doesn’t want mixed race .

:confused:

and you married her?

fryup wrote: »
    :confused:

and you married her?

Damn straight... Well she married me :pac:

hey we married earth other. Love is!

But a lot of people want to get married as an expression of their love.

I don't get this mindset at all. Okay maybe marriage as a religious/ceremonial occasion, but civil marriage, signing up to a binding legal contract? Can't see anything romantic about that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

While who said the comment (as in what colour they are & was it the man or woman) shouldnt matter (its equally bad imo) but it probably does in reality.

If a white guy said that, he'd be lambasted and rightly so,
    I think less so if it was a white woman,

and probably not at all if anyone else.

Having kids isn't the only reason to get married, but it is a big reason (and sometimes an excuse, sometimes the only excuse/purpose)

But if someone said anything to me based around racial purity, It wouldnt be my thing to marry someone like that, each to their own.
    My only guess is this person isn't white?? because I dont know anyone stupid enough that believes that and would also dare to say it.

Maybe Im interpreting it wrong?? but it sounds like it reads to me

Married my best friend. He's got my back, I got his. I'm just helping him get over a bout of covid and on his worst day I wasn't able to think or sleep or eat for the knowledge that he was on his own dealing with it, and I couldn't bring him a drink or change the bed or just look after him like he needed. Horrible experience. He says I'm the prize of his life and the feelings mutual.

Bad relationships make bad marriages, good ones can make great ones. I could have lived without marriage, but we got married almost a year ago. I was seven months pregnant and we were moving the next day. It wasn't a 'wedding', it was just the two of us and it's all we wanted. A wedding isn't marriage, you don't need bells and whistles. It's been a tough year between moving, new parenthood and a pandemic, but it's still managed to be a good one at the same time, because we have each other.

If you think of marriage as a division of assets and a splitting of services, don't get married. It's a mutual endeavour built on much more than shared mortgages and mutual suspicion, and will involve compromise and living with the knowledge that sometimes, in fact a lot of the time, you will not be the main focus of the moment and you won't always be the most important thing in your own life. In my experience, it's totally worth it.

I don't get this mindset at all. Okay maybe marriage as a religious/ceremonial occasion, but civil marriage, signing up to a binding legal contract? Can't see anything romantic about that at all.

A religious ceremony only means something to someone religious OR if one or both of the people want a nice venue even if they have no religious participation or even follow their religion, the part that matters in those ceremonies is STILL the legal part, so in effect there is no difference between a civil marriage and a religious marriage other than the venue.

Saying signing up to a civil marriage and that it is a legally binding contract and there being nothing Romantic about it but not realising that it is the exact same thing as a Religious wedding, which I agree (there is nothing romantic about it either). It is just a nice venue.

Im sure many people who get married in religious ceremonies follow their religion to some extent or believe they do, imo, most just want the venue.

I cant find it anywhere, but I saw it in a Simpsons episode once and cant find it since, Homer J Simpson makes a Sarcy commentary on marriage, it was along the lines, him referring to the spontaneity of love and "there is nothing more romantic than a state approved legal contract"

1874 wrote: »
    My only guess is this person isn't white?? because I dont know anyone stupid enough that believes that and would also dare to say it.

Maybe Im interpreting it wrong?? but it sounds like it reads to me

The only thing you’re interpreting wrong is the woman’s intelligence nobody said it; per say we came to that conclusion over time. She’s of a remote territory of hills who spent their history under siege from all directions forging / retaining their own identity and we would like to keep it that way.

Tell me about it my girl is a Christian diehard there’s no way we were staying together without marriage. The one thing she won’t do however is have children because she doesn’t want mixed race she spoke purity of love; heart, people and from thereon I knew she was talking my language. At which point marriage seemed like the perfect idea and so I just rolled with it? Haven’t looked back since...
    The only thing you’re interpreting wrong is the woman’s intelligence nobody said it; per say we came to that conclusion over time. She’s of a remote territory of hills who spent their history under siege from all directions forging / retaining their own identity and we would like to keep it that way.

Excuse me? I never referred to her intelligence, you basically quoted your own partners opinion on what appears to be a fairly dated (and imo a disgusting racial opinion) how you could have known that without speaking of it, I don't know. Now if you're happy to marry someone knowing that, thats your business, I can only assume you're of a like mind.
    People can be otherwise intelligent and still have questionable opinions as far as Im concerned, it might be based on their experiences or what they learned when they grew up, but imo, as long as any person acts reasonably, it doesn't and shouldnt matter what colour or race they are.

Based on what you have written in your latter post, you appear to be back pedalling and accuse me of questioning her intelligence? and now saying she never said it?? Whatever the last sentence is, looks like utter nonsense to me, face it, you're back pedalling

Not going off topic further, imo marriage is skewed based on the outcome when it doesnt work and thats why I was originally replying in this thread.

• Advertisement

1874 wrote: »
    A religious ceremony only means something to someone religious OR if one or both of the people want a nice venue even if they have no religious participation or even follow their religion, the part that matters in those ceremonies is STILL the legal part, so in effect there is no difference between a civil marriage and a religious marriage other than the venue.

Saying signing up to a civil marriage and that it is a legally binding contract and there being nothing Romantic about it but not realising that it is the exact same thing as a Religious wedding, which I agree (there is nothing romantic about it either). It is just a nice venue.

Im sure many people who get married in religious ceremonies follow their religion to some extent or believe they do, imo, most just want the venue.

I cant find it anywhere, but I saw it in a Simpsons episode once and cant find it since, Homer J Simpson makes a Sarcy commentary on marriage, it was along the lines, him referring to the spontaneity of love and "there is nothing more romantic than a state approved legal contract"

What's to stop people defining marriage whatever way they want though? IMO a couple they don't want to get involved with the legal/civil bit but want to get together with their friends in a Hindu temple or whatever and declare their love for each other they're entitled to call that marriage.

Re Homer's bon mot, I remember Al Pacino saying something similar when discussing why he'd never been hitched: "If I'm in a relationship with a woman, and things are going well, why am I getting the government involved?"

Advertisement