Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Deagol wrote: »
    For comparison:

18x 340 Qcells (~6.1kw) cost price: ~€2800
    Mounting hardware: ~€500
    Solax 4.2kw inverter: €550

Total: €3850. plus cabling etc add another 2-300e.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions!

Your prices above are for equipment only.. I am presuming the posters quotes are for installing on the roof (scaffolding etc) commissioning etc. so you need to add that in. Unless the poster quotes were for only for the equipment.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Your prices above are for equipment only.. I am presuming the posters quotes are for installing on the roof (scaffolding etc) commissioning etc. so you need to add that in. Unless the poster quotes were for only for the equipment.

So let's add €4k for 2 guys for a 1.5 day install ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

ECO_Mental wrote: »

That was the point of my post. That anything left over was Labour / profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

What would be fair for labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

championc wrote: »
    So let's add €4k for 2 guys for a 1.5 day install ?

€1k labour
    €3k profits

Ha! Now we now where the subsidy goes. Terrible waste of tax payers money.

• Advertisement

2 guys 1.5 days - I’d give them more than 1k but still 4K looks like the norm on most quotes ..anyone actually get a breakdown on an invoice? I’m sure it’s retail prices and the labour cost is mixed in so it wouldn’t look so bad.

2 guys 1.5 days - I’d give them more than 1k but still 4K looks like the norm on most quotes ..anyone actually get a breakdown on an invoice? I’m sure it’s retail prices and the labour cost is mixed in so it wouldn’t look so bad.

Would you seriously expect someone to list
    1k labour and 3k ripoff profit and give the exact price of materials ?

I think most posters who has systems professionally installed would confirm the install as being about 1.5 days, although I expect for many, it was all done same day.

I think most posters who has systems professionally installed would confirm the install as being about 1.5 days, although I expect for many, it was all done same day.

No I’m not expecting them to list 1k labour or a 3k rip-off profit but am just wondering what’s a fair price and do people get itemised quotes.

No I’m not expecting them to list 1k labour or a 3k rip-off profit but am just wondering what’s a fair price and do people get itemised quotes.

Look at the RETAIL prices of kit on Midsummer.ie or Solartricity.ie, and work it out roughly. Installers in the trade get at least 25% discount on these prices, which should be enough for their profit I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

I was reading a thing on the Bord Gais site earlier and noticed they've partnered up with Energlaze - https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/solar-energy-guide

Anyone have any experience using them at all (through this partnership or otherwise)?

Used another firm on the old gaff a few years ago and was impressed but keen to see if we can save a few bob later this year through this deal at all, before I go getting quotes though, would like to know a bit more about these installers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

luketitz wrote: »
    I was reading a thing on the Bord Gais site earlier and noticed they've partnered up with Energlaze - https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/solar-energy-guide

Anyone have any experience using them at all (through this partnership or otherwise)?

Used another firm on the old gaff a few years ago and was impressed but keen to see if we can save a few bob later this year through this deal at all, before I go getting quotes though, would like to know a bit more about these installers!

Haven't heard of them, a lot of waffle but good starting information on the page..

Until you get a quote for them, you wont know where they stand. Could be like energia! 14k for a 2kw system and a battery.

A lot of marketing w... too "bespoke software" to calculate your annual generation, like the eu.website where you plug all your details in and press go?

"Hybrid inverters with ai" - bit rich calling it AI,
    It's just calculations running off measurements, I wouldn't class that as AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

The company you mention is very similar to one with an number in its name!
    Pushy salesman. Kept telling me I'd be saving the planet and I'd save a fortune. As he wanted to close the deal there and then he kept asking could he ring my wife to convince her to get solar PV!

They hadn't started the tactic whereby salesperson will not visit unless you and your partner attend sales pitch!

We're not supposed to name installation companies on due to forum rules!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

idc wrote: »
    Pushy salesman. Kept telling me I'd be saving the planet and I'd save a fortune. As he wanted to close the deal there and then he kept asking could he ring my wife to convince her to get solar PV!
    Yeah even if they were giving the deal of the century, if a salesman started **** like that Id be telling them to jog on.

I don't think the wife would be as polite! And it wouldn't be worth it for me to give them her number!

If a deal like that won't be there tomorrow, they won't be getting my business. *

*Bargin second hand cars/when there is only one of them are an exception - but if it's a bargin you prob won't be having a pushy salesman.

idc wrote: »

Is that a very active company and is the number an 8? :p

Sad thing is that an industry insider told me they are the largest renewable installer in the country. Imagine all those thousands of people who overpaid so much that their system will never pay for itself :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

unkel wrote: »
    Is that a very active company and is the number an 8? :p

Sad thing is that an industry insider told me they are the largest renewable installer in the country. Imagine all those thousands of people who overpaid so much that their system will never pay for itself :-(

Apart from the ones who screwed their neighbours and got it for free

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

minnow wrote: »

Created a thread with government link for this

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149744

(Is there a better way to link to another thread?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Dose anyone know if I request an early installation of a Smart Meter is there a cost and if so how much.
    I just want to be FIT ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Are smart meters essential when FIT comes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

6 wrote: »
    Are smart meters essential when FIT comes in?

Apparently so.
    Personally i would rather my old mechanical meter that ran backwards when I was sending power back. AH the good old days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Are they expensive and what's a decent recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Dose anyone know if I request an early installation of a Smart Meter is there a cost and if so how much.
    I just want to be FIT ready.

No direct cost to you. You can ask your provider to bump you up the list and get it early. No guarantee you will get it early though.

One gotcha is that at the moment you would have to be on a 24hr tariff.... they havent got the software setup yet for the day/night tariff so if you use day/night already you would be stuck to go back to 24hr tariff.

KAGY wrote: »
    Apart from the ones who screwed their neighbours and got it for free

Nah, they don't exist. That's how that active company tries to sell it to you, you are the first, you'll get it for free. Yeah, only if 10 of your neighbours pay an even more exorbitant price than you are paying. They won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kev3434

Hi. I've had two companies quote for a system and I'm getting conflicting information. The first said panels can go right up to the ridge. The second said they must be minimum 500mm from all edges, including the ridge(?!) in order to comply with regulations and grant requirements. I was in touch with the SEAI and a self confessed non-technical person told me the latter is correct. This would obviously reduced my own perceived roof space significantly. Does anyone know which is correct? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Kev3434 wrote: »
    Hi. I've had two companies quote for a system and I'm getting conflicting information. The first said panels can go right up to the ridge. The second said they must be minimum 500mm from all edges, including the ridge(?!) in order to comply with regulations and grant requirements. I was in touch with the SEAI and a self confessed non-technical person told me the latter is correct. This would obviously reduced my own perceived roof space significantly. Does anyone know which is correct? Thanks in advance

The SEAI person is correct.... assuming you want to utilise the grant.

The SEAI do sometimes inspect the job before paying the grant and if they see the panels clung to the ridge they can/will refuse to pay until its fixed.

Search for 500mm in here
    https://www.seai.ie/publications/Code-of-Practice-Solar-PV-Grant.pdf

If you are not using the grant (if your house is 2011 or newer) then fire away and do whatever you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

Kev3434 wrote: »

The 500mm is correct as far as i know.
    My installer however said because my panels were not road facing and not requiring any planning permission and the seai hardly ever visit, they were happy to fit as many as they could without leaving the full 500mm all around.
    They went right up to the ridge, but left a space on the left and right, but less than 500mm.

KCross wrote: »
    The SEAI person is correct.... assuming you want to utilise the grant.

The SEAI do sometimes inspect the job before paying the grant and if they see the panels clung to the ridge they can/will refuse to pay until its fixed.

Search for 500mm in here
    https://www.seai.ie/publications/Code-of-Practice-Solar-PV-Grant.pdf

If you are not using the grant (if your house is 2011 or newer) then fire away and do whatever you wish.

Unreal! Thanks a million! The guy stood here and said the ridge was not considered a roof edge. Just the eaves and gables.
    One company down!

Tradnuts wrote: »
    My installer however said because my panels were not road facing and not requiring any planning permission and the seai hardly ever visit, they were happy to fit as many as they could without leaving the full 500mm all around.
    They went right up to the ridge, but left a space on the left and right, but less than 500mm.

Thanjs a million. I won't be taking any chances. Removes the consideration of a battery too!

LOL and that installer was SEAI approved. Facing the road or not makes no difference for planning permission. You will need it if you install more than 7 panels. Not that it is enforced. Nothing ever is enforced in this country. No wonder nobody adheres to the law...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be careful here, I had mine done and the installer (and I and the roofers) all insisted on the 50cm rule.
    Part of the grant process was uploading of photos and the SEAI did come back to get clearer photos of the panels installed so they do check.
    My installer did my place, my brothers and his neighbour all in the same fortnight and BOTH my brother and his neighbour were visited by an SEAI inspector and neither have received the grant yet (all above board, just paperwork) a month after their inspection.
    I got my grant after something like 18 working days without an inspection.

PS I have way over the number of panels allowed (36m2) and SEAI don't care but they do care about the edge gaps

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement