Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wonder how long we'll be waiting for the next big N22 project. I think the proposed Macroom-Ovens scheme is officially called off until 2027, but God knows when that will get going again, if ever. Then there's the second proposed Killarney bypass, and another road linking Lissivigeen with the Muckross road. All probably pipe dreams though :)

That's the regret at not having the piece between the two and four mile bridges included this time. This will be a shockingly poor part of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Just been watching the Six One News - it is true we've spent a quarter of a billion euro bypassing Macroom (pop 4000)?

We spent 1.5 billion on a motorway between Kildare and a small urban conurbation in the South East. In comparison, this project between the states second largest urban area and its natural hinterland is good value.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Most of the plant along the route parked up today. The contractors are well overdue a nice and relaxing Christmas after the progress to date. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Water John wrote: »
    That's the regret at not having the piece between the two and four mile bridges included this time. This will be a shockingly poor part of the road.
    The hope there would be that the 5km+ or so of dogs dinner between Coolcower and Crookstown would help to spur on the N22 Macroom-Ovens scheme. It just about missed the cut for inclusion in the NDP in 2018.

Imagine dual carriageway from Cork to Ballyvourney West and Killarney-Farranfore. You'd be in any part of Kerry in no time at all.

'Imagine dual carriageway from Cork to Ballyvourney West and Killarney-Farranfore. You'd be in any part of Kerry in no time at all'. Marno

Why would you go there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

'Imagine dual carriageway from Cork to Ballyvourney West and Killarney-Farranfore. You'd be in any part of Kerry in no time at all'. Marno

Why would you go there?

Is this a serious post?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

We spent 1.5 billion on a motorway between Kildare and a small urban conurbation in the South East. In comparison, this project between the states second largest urban area and its natural hinterland is good value.

Is this a serious post. Are you seriously saying that the M9 shouldn’t have been built?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Paddico

Dont mean to go off topic but isnt it time RTE drop the Brittan bit. BBC are good at it too when Ireland do well in something.
    Were not part of Britain.
    Why not just say Ireland and Belgium!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Paddico wrote: »
    Dont mean to go off topic but isnt it time RTE drop the Brittan bit. BBC are good at it too when Ireland do well in something.
    Were not part of Britain.
    Why not just say Ireland and Belgium!!

For the same reason you wrote the above in English and, with respect, probably have no idea what my username means. It’s the same reason that a real howya of a Dub once asked me why I was supporting a foreign team when I cheered for Madrid on scoring against Man U. We take an à la carte approach to our independence, asserting it when necessary but happy to be lumped in with the Brits when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Lads can we bring this back on topic instead of going down uk history rabbit holes or justifying the road. It's in the middle of construction so no longer the time to decide if it's justified or not

• Advertisement

Drone footage of the site as it finished for Xmas

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thanks marno. Looking like they won't be allowed work on it for a while more, but hopefully just a temporary shutdown.

Thanks marno. Looking like they won't be allowed work on it for a while more, but hopefully just a temporary shutdown.

Talks of an exemption for large infrastructure projects so fingers crossed that’s the case.

Ludicrous shutting this down really.

We are not living in normal times. It's not war, but we're not living in a time and place where road projects trump hospitals being overwhelmed and doctors having to decide who is more likely to live. This is a global pandemic that has put 954 people in hospital as of tonight. That number will rise for at least 2 more weeks. We don't have an infinite number of doctors, nurses and beds. We have to hunker down before the situation completely descends into fire fighting an unstoppable blaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So anyone know if work is still going ahead this month or if an exception was granted?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Spoke to a representative of the JV today. Unfortunately most work has ceased on this, just some crews still out finishing certain works for safety reasons, but most workers have returned to barracks, for want of a better phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

That's mad, I actually called the mobile number on that notice and was told the whole project was shut down apart from some skeleton crews.
    marno21 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My brother in law works on-site. They were all sent home last Friday evening as part of the latest restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

No one there yesterday on the bits you can see from the road ��

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

tinner777 wrote: »
    No one there yesterday on the bits you can see from the road ��

Yup its v quiet i can't see anyone on site from our house & usually there is alot of movement from 7.30am

If it had to stop for a few months until Covid is under control, I wouldn't mind. A few months delay in 30 years delay, isn't much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If it had to stop for a few months until Covid is under control, I wouldn't mind. A few months delay in 30 years delay, isn't much.

As Johnny Logan might say, what's another year?

I'd expect the delay to be a few months, at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

https://tecade.eu/tecade-starts-the-year-with-the-shipment-and-on-site-assembly-of-the-structures-manufactured-for-a-major-road-project-in-southern-ireland/

Large steel beams being shipped over from Seville in Spain for the Bohill Bridge. If they can keep going with the critical bridges the overall delay should be minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

A lot of concrete beams from Banagher coming down all this week!

Advertisement