Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Couple of points from driving this road 10 times a week at the minute:

60km/h speed limit now in place at Carrigaphooca (this is for 12 months). The local road that meets the N22 here will multiplex with the future old N22 to cross under the new N22 here, there appears to be tarmac down where this new crossing will go so I assume they are to close the local road there shortly. With that in mind they'll likely put down the alignment that the existing N22 will move to shortly also if they plan to build the new N22 up on the existing alignment.

The road at Ballyveerane was closed today due to tarmac being laid. I assume the new alignment of this road to the left of the existing road (heading north) is being prorgessed at the minute.

The beams are in on the Lainey bridge as above. Up next will be the beams over the R618 but this requires a full overnight road closure.

Still no work on the overbridge at Kilnagurteen. The cutting from Ballyveerane upto here is substantially complete so this will likely start soon also - there was a lot of blasting done up here.

Rock removal is continuing apace at Toon Lain, Coolavokig, where the new N22 crosses the road to Renaniree from the Mons Bar, and at the western end of the Carrigaphooca junction.

Overall, with these beam lifts on the 4 bridges (Sullane, Lainey, R618 and Foherish) the work on the ground is looking significantly more advanced. I note also that although work on the section between the towns only started in recent weeks, this section is light on structures and likely will be quicker to do than the other sections.

The Mill Road is a joy to drive given it runs along the busiest part of the site for 1km or so. Would highly recommend for anyone travelling the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

There's some videos on youtube off the beams passing through birr I think on there way to the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Theres been a helicopter flying the bypass route the last 30min or so. The big crane is the one lifting the beams down mill road.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

At what point does the bypass of Macroom start on the city side? Will you still go over the existing bridge over the Lee by Coolcower?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

At what point does the bypass of Macroom start on the city side? Will you still go over the existing bridge over the Lee by Coolcower?

Yes.
    The bypass starts shortly after that bridge, on the Macroom side, near Circle K / Coolcower House entrance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes unfortunately. IMO this was short sighted, as a closure of this bridge will mean extremely complex diversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yes unfortunately. IMO this was short sighted, as a closure of this bridge will mean extremely complex diversions.

Not really left before the Bridge, pass Danone, turn right and over the Bridge then right again but yes it would have been a much better project extended to Crookstown..

Truckermal wrote: »
    Not really left before the Bridge, pass Danone, turn right and over the Bridge then right again but yes it would have been a much better project extended to Crookstown..

It can be tight road for trucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Truckermal wrote: »
    It would have required two new bridges, which would have pushed the cost up considerably.

There are possible onward two routes from the Eastern end of this scheme towards Cork. The most likely is to cut out that whole winding section of N22 completely and take a direct line from Coolcower, cross the Lee once over to Mashanaglas, then again to Ballytrasna and rejoin the existing N22 route there: it means building two bridges, but that'll be a lot cheaper than doing an online upgrade of two bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Would it not be better to split from the new scheme further north, around the R618, and head east from there? Cross the river once where it is most suitable to do so, maybe even at the hydro station, and head for Ovens. Redesignate a chunk of the existing N22 as R585.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

New road alignment for the local road at Carrigaphooca is open, the old N22 will be routed along part of this alignment under the new N22.

The new road alignment at Ballyveerane was very close to open today. Another day or two work and it’s ready to go

The beams for the R618 bridge were lifted either Wednesday night or last night. Another beam lift complete.

I met more precast beams today heading west on the N40 around 7pm. Wonder where they’re off to

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All Danone destination trucks already use that Castleview road to the left on the Cork side of the 2 mile bridge. As a temporary run it would be fine.

Water John wrote: »
    All Danone destination trucks already use that Castleview road to the left on the Cork side of the 2 mile bridge. As a temporary run it would be fine.

How long would it be ,I have hauled into Danone so I know the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Just been watching the Six One News - it is true we've spent a quarter of a billion euro bypassing Macroom (pop 4000)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Just been watching the Six One News - it is true we've spent a quarter of a billion euro bypassing Macroom (pop 4000)?

Not sure what the population has to do with it. It's a massive bottleneck on a major and busy route that required intervention. It's to benefit the people that need to travel through Macroom, not the 4,000 that live there.

It’s not simply bypassing Macroom, it’s 22km of dual carriageway.

The construction contract was €188m. I still haven’t seen a breakdown of the supposed €281m price tag because it’s not exactly prime land along much of the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

It’s a 22km dual carriageway bypass of one town, two villages, and a whole lot of dangerous road between them. And it is on a busy national primary route linking two counties that have such strong economic, social, and cultural ties that they frequently referred to like a couple.

What is your point? That it isn’t on a road between Dublin and somewhere else?

That's 4,000 smart people as the saying goes that, Macroom never reared a fool.

Bypass need dealt with very well by other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Read up about the South Kerry Greenway, €20m squandered so a few rip-off hoteliers, pubs and restaurants can overcharge a few cyclists and walkers on the 95-120 days per year it is not raining heavily, all the while in an area with no proper public transport and a glorified bohereen as its only link in and out.

The Macroom Bypass is excellent value for money and something the entire region will benefit from, the Greenway for me is nothing but political corruption. Kerry could do with NewcastleWest, Abbeyfeale, Adare, Templeglantine , Croagh and Adare being bypassed and the Killarney to Mallow N72 Goat track being rebuilt entirely as a 2x2 with the N73 from Mallow to Mitchelstown connecting to the M8 given the same 2x2 treatment.

Covid will cost us €40bn, most of which is squandered keeping zombie jobs alive which should have had the plug pulled. If even one quarter of that money was put into real blocks and mortar infrastructure instead of welfare our economy would roar in the next 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

theguzman wrote: »
    Read up about the South Kerry Greenway, €20m squandered so a few rip-off hoteliers, pubs and restaurants can overcharge a few cyclists and walkers on the 95-120 days per year it is not raining heavily, all the while in an area with no proper public transport and a glorified bohereen as its only link in and out.

The Macroom Bypass is excellent value for money and something the entire region will benefit from, the Greenway for me is nothing but political corruption. Kerry could do with NewcastleWest, Abbeyfeale, Adare, Templeglantine , Croagh and Adare being bypassed and the Killarney to Mallow N72 Goat track being rebuilt entirely as a 2x2 with the N73 from Mallow to Mitchelstown connecting to the M8 given the same 2x2 treatment.

Covid will cost us €40bn, most of which is squandered keeping zombie jobs alive which should have had the plug pulled. If even one quarter of that money was put into real blocks and mortar infrastructure instead of welfare our economy would roar in the next 10-15 years.

Can't see why people moan about the Greenway. It has been fantastic for Waterford. An absolute game changer for them. Dungarvan is absolutely thriving from it. Locals and tourist benefit immensely. Outdoors, fitness, health, positivity. Bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Can't see why people moan about the Greenway.

Probably because a surprisingly high % of the population seem to have a deep-seated pathological reaction to the word “cyclist” and anything relating to same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

cantalach wrote: »
    Probably because a surprisingly high % of the population seem to have a deep-seated pathological reaction to the word “cyclist” and anything relating to same.

Sadly this is pretty accurate.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Can't see why people moan about the Greenway. It has been fantastic for Waterford. An absolute game changer for them. Dungarvan is absolutely thriving from it. Locals and tourist benefit immensely. Outdoors, fitness, health, positivity. Bargain.

If you talk to business owners in Kilmac, they'll tell you just how much "value" is in a greenway. Whatever about health benefits, anyone who doubts the economic viability of a greenway in Kerry doesn't quite understand the Kerry economy.

Anyway this isn't the right thread for this weird discussion. I don't know why greenway bashing has any relevance on the N22 thread.

I cycle more than I drive and I'm all in favour of the N22 upgrade. It's badly needed. Anyone who drove that road or looked at the traffic numbers would know. It's one of a few no-brainer roads upgrades around the country.

MOD:

No more greenway talk. Fair enough to talk about the N22 bypass but not as an indirect method of cyclist bashing.

Plenty to talk about after the last week or 2 regarding this scheme.

The beams for the 2nd (eastern) span of the bridge over the R618 were lifted in on Friday night by the looks of things.

New road alignment at Ballyveerane is open also with traffic management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'm all in favour of the N22 upgrade. It's badly needed. Anyone who drove that road ... would know.
    That's it. Anyone who questions the need for this N22 upgrade has never driven it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

...........a quarter of a billion euro bypassing Macroom (pop 4000)?

I likely know many of them - from staring @ them while in stationery traffic.

That said I'm failing to grasp the correlation you highlight regarding the population of the bypassed town & the spend. Many would suggest traffic count a more appropriate metric when assessing VFM?

Your moniker is kind of apposite? Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Reminds me of the nonsense talked about the M17/18 as if it was built to serve Gort and Tuam exclusively and absolutely no journeys to/from anywhere else could be made on it.

Not to mind Danny and Michael trying to get to Dublin quickly, on important State business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wonder how long we'll be waiting for the next big N22 project. I think the proposed Macroom-Ovens scheme is officially called off until 2027, but God knows when that will get going again, if ever. Then there's the second proposed Killarney bypass, and another road linking Lissivigeen with the Muckross road. All probably pipe dreams though :)

Advertisement