Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All things Mavic Air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Strange as the S20+ is not supported. It only supports the S20.

I have an iPad mini 4 for it now which works amazing. S20+ connected simply does not work.

Haven't gotten to play with it in any location other than my back garden yet. It isn't really getting much further if further at all than my FIMI. The ocusync definitely isn't an advantage for me in my garden.

Really looking forward to trying it in other locations as it's so smooth to control and the camera is absolutely class.

Well worth the money, just ocusync is underwhelming for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭ozmo

MarkY91 wrote: »

I have an iPad mini 4 for it now which works amazing. S20+ connected simply does not work.

Haven't gotten to play with it in any location other than my back garden yet. It isn't really getting much further if further at all than my FIMI. The ocusync definitely isn't an advantage for me in my garden.

Really looking forward to trying it in other locations as it's so smooth to control and the camera is absolutely class.

Try lock it to 2.4ghz if possible. Ive had much better success with that over 4ghz on my drones.

If that doesnt work its probably all the neighbours wifi thats causing the signal issue.

“Roll it back”

My friend has a brand new mavic air 2 remote (also works on mavic mini) and a brand new charger that he doesn't need.

No idea what prices he should advertise then online for but if anyone is interested, send me a PM. Based in Dublin 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

My friend has a brand new mavic air 2 remote (also works on mavic mini) and a brand new charger that he doesn't need.

No idea what prices he should advertise then online for but if anyone is interested, send me a PM. Based in Dublin 12.

How many batteries can the charger charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

ozmo wrote: »
    Might be just battery needs to be clicked in fully - or contacts dirty according to this:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-217286-1-1.html

Thanks but I tried everything = including adjusting the clips on battery and the gold contacts in battery cavity. Couldn't get it to work for any of the batteries.

I had to send it back and am waiting for a refund from Amazon. I'll buy it in Harvey Norman but am honestly a bit concerned that this will happen in the new one I get and then I'll be dealing with H.N customer service...

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote: »
    How many batteries can the charger charge?

Just the one as it didn't include the adaptor thing from the flymore combo.

He lost his drone so bought a new drone minus the flymore combo part so had a spare remote and charger :L

John_Mc wrote: »
    Thanks but I tried everything = including adjusting the clips on battery and the gold contacts in battery cavity. Couldn't get it to work for any of the batteries.

I had to send it back and am waiting for a refund from Amazon. I'll buy it in Harvey Norman but am honestly a bit concerned that this will happen in the new one I get and then I'll be dealing with H.N customer service...

I dealt with the tech guy in Harvey Norman Tallaght last week. He was honestly one of the nicest people I've ever met. He was a drone user himself and knew everything about them. If you're in Dublin, I recommend going to the Tallaght branch just in the off chance you have to bring it back, you will deal with that amazing guy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FFX7SC9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dTY2FbD6E3BH3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone think they work? I got them for my RC and they're just a scabby piece of plastic. They appear to do something though. I'm not sure if it's just a placebo effect that makes me think they work or not though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FFX7SC9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dTY2FbD6E3BH3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone think they work? I got them for my RC and they're just a scabby piece of plastic. They appear to do something though. I'm not sure if it's just a placebo effect that makes me think they work or not though.

Not tried them - but they have tested as legit. Work by Yagi effect - plastic quality not important - but should be metal pieces in the plastic that do the work at shaping the waves..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8957J_Q3V4&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=DroneValley

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Not tried them - but they have tested as legit. Work by Yagi effect - plastic quality not important - but should be metal pieces in the plastic that do the work at shaping the waves..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8957J_Q3V4&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=DroneValley

Yeah the reviews are mixed but I definitely felt a stronger signal from my back garden.

• Advertisement

Yeah the reviews are mixed but I definitely felt a stronger signal from my back garden.

The parabolic I did try did work - thing is they dont boost the power - they just direct it more all in one direction - so you need carefully point these modified antennae directly at the drone to get the best signal.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

I know there’s a price difference but is it worth getting the mavic air 2 v’s the mini 2 ?
    Ive had xaoimi mi 4K before(long gone) and wanted to get another drone,will buy from Harvey Norman which ever one I go for

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I got a Mavic Air 2 recently and only had a chance to test it out today for the first time. It works great, but the video seems a little laggy on my Android phone (Huawei P20 Lite), such that when the drone goes out of view I can't be certain exactly where I am as the reception is a bit choppy.

Makes me worried about what happens if I decide to send it off on a trip for a few km out of view.

Is it normal for the video speed to be out of sync with the drone's actual visuals? Do I need to get one of those "VR" headset things to see through the drone's camera in real time?

Also I take it that the DJI Care Refresh is a good idea, just in case it does go out of view and a bird attacks it or something? :D

mrcheez wrote: »
    I got a Mavic Air 2 recently and only had a chance to test it out today for the first time. It works great, but the video seems a little laggy on my Android phone (Huawei P20 Lite), such that when the drone goes out of view I can't be certain exactly where I am as the reception is a bit choppy.

Makes me worried about what happens if I decide to send it off on a trip for a few km out of view.

Is it normal for the video speed to be out of sync with the drone's actual visuals? Do I need to get one of those "VR" headset things to see through the drone's camera in real time?

Also I take it that the DJI Care Refresh is a good idea, just in case it does go out of view and a bird attacks it or something? :D

It's not laggy at all in my experience using an ipad mini

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's not laggy at all in my experience using an ipad mini

Do you have video showing real time even when the drone is 5 km away?

It might be some settings I have... like I said I've literally only used it 30 mins. Gonna have a solid play with it over Xmas/New Years

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

thats weird, I've got S20+ and zero issues

thats weird, I've got S20+ and zero issues

Nothing happens when I plug it into the remote yet it works fine with my ipad mini.

Have to send it back to DJI anyway. The fan doesn't turn on 80% of the time so I get an overheating warning and unable to takeoff.

Not impressed at all with DJI products so far.

Hi all,
    Opened my Mavic Air 2 there over Christmas and like it so far apart from one weird thing with videos, it jumps for no apparent reason mid video (around 5/6 seconds and then again at 23/24 seconds below)? Have a look at this and let me know what you think? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
    M

https://youtu.be/FQQiatrWMvk

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

That shouldn't happen. Make sure all the software/firmware is up to date, etc and if it continues, you may have to send it back for repair.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Looks like a gimbal jump. Lots of differing info online if you google it.

• Advertisement

theothernt wrote: »
    That shouldn't happen. Make sure all the software/firmware is up to date, etc and if it continues, you may have to send it back for repair.

Thanks. So I got onto DJI support via the web chat and they advised me to download DJI Assistant 2 which I did. When I did that there was a firmware update waiting so I did that as they advised. Then I ran all the different calibrations and today made a short flight. Thankfully it does not seem to be there now but the weather was not good so I had to abandon the flights/testing I had planned. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow.

Cheers,
    M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Have you tried a different SD card, I noticed in the past slower cards might have glitches on them, when I got a highspeed card it made all the difference.

Clareman wrote: »
    Have you tried a different SD card, I noticed in the past slower cards might have glitches on them, when I got a highspeed card it made all the difference.

I tried that and it made no difference but the firmware update using DJI Assist 2 and my PC sorted it thank God!

Cheers,
    M

Hi all,
    I am thinking about investing in a tablet to have a bigger screen when flying my Mavic Air 2. I want to go Android as I have no interest in the Apple ecosystem or getting into it. I see a lot of Samsung Tabs with only 2GB or RAM and I doubt that amount would be good enough? What are your thoughts\experiences with Android tablets and the Mavic Air 2?

Here they list the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (SM-T830) and Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 10.5″ as both compatible. They would both be on the higher end of the Android Tabs and both seem to have 6GB of RAM. Both are pricey though!!

Thanks,
    M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've both those tablets and have never thought of using them with the drone, I find being able to cradle the phone in the remote a great selling point, I use a Note 20 Ultra so you can't get much bigger than that in a phone and it's great with the drone.

I've both those tablets and have never thought of using them with the drone, I find being able to cradle the phone in the remote a great selling point, I use a Note 20 Ultra so you can't get much bigger than that in a phone and it's great with the drone.

I completely understand. I've just seen a lot of people on YouTube using iPads and tablets when flying drones. I assumed the main benefit was the extra screen real estate!

As you have both of those Tabs which is the better do you think? Do you use it for work? Will Microsoft Teams run well on it?

Many thanks,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    I completely understand. I've just seen a lot of people on YouTube using iPads and tablets when flying drones. I assumed the main benefit was the extra screen real estate!

As you have both of those Tabs which is the better do you think? Do you use it for work? Will Microsoft Teams run well on it?

Many thanks,
    M

Both are great tablets and apps like Teams works perfectly, i use them compleley in Dex mode which is more like Windows than android. I probably prefer the 6 because of the removable keyboard and stand but I've moved onto the S7+ now so it's mainly the kids who use the 4 and 6 now.

I'm a pure Android man so I've no way to rate Apple devices but if you could get a bracket for holding the remote to the tablet I'd go for the S6.

Both are great tablets and apps like Teams works perfectly, i use them compleley in Dex mode which is more like Windows than android. I probably prefer the 6 because of the removable keyboard and stand but I've moved onto the S7+ now so it's mainly the kids who use the 4 and 6 now.

I'm a pure Android man so I've no way to rate Apple devices but if you could get a bracket for holding the remote to the tablet I'd go for the S6.

Thanks a million, there are definitely brackets out their that clip onto the DJI remote and allow you to dock a tablet. That's another cost I'd have to consider.

M

I put a S6 and S3 into the remote there (it's not worth the hassle to take the S4 of the child :D), you'd get away without a bracket I think, there's a ridge on the remote that holds the tablet in place, it's not as secure as the actual bracket but once you aren't running around with the remote I'd say it'd be fine, I've a couple of pictures taken but it's taken some time for them to upload for some reason

• Advertisement

Note 20 Ultra in the bracket fully
    rolYswp.png

S6 in remote
    CpYt8y8.png

Advertisement