Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

All things Mavic Air

1101112131416»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe


    Clareman wrote: »
    I put a S6 and S3 into the remote there (it's not worth the hassle to take the S4 of the child :D), you'd get away without a bracket I think, there's a ridge on the remote that holds the tablet in place, it's not as secure as the actual bracket but once you aren't running around with the remote I'd say it'd be fine, I've a couple of pictures taken but it's taken some time for them to upload for some reason

    Nice mate and thanks! So the S3 is a tablet as well? DJI Mavic Air 2\DJI Mavic Mini 2 remote and not the Mavic 2 Pro\Zoom controller?

    Edit: Posted that before I saw the pics, many thanks for those.

    M


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭MarkY91


    Clareman wrote: »
    I've both those tablets and have never thought of using them with the drone, I find being able to cradle the phone in the remote a great selling point, I use a Note 20 Ultra so you can't get much bigger than that in a phone and it's great with the drone.

    You can buy a plastic thing to attach your iPad to the RC. I bought the one below and it's perfect. Absolutely n kway of ever falling from the RC.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088T3T2ZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VfmaGbKJPBWT8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman


    MarkY91 wrote: »
    You can buy a plastic thing to attach your iPad to the RC. I bought the one below and it's perfect. Absolutely n kway of ever falling from the RC.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088T3T2ZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VfmaGbKJPBWT8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    That looks a great job, personally I like just needing to bring the drone, having to remember the tablet and bracket would mean a bigger bag, I always have my phone on me and usually keep the drone in the car so I'm good to go wherever I am.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭jogdish


    Never ended up getting the Air 2 ( missing features in EU region and lack of claririty on the legal status in the future), after seeing the new DJI FPV drone, looks amazing something I would love to try, but after watching the Ian in London unboxing review, seems super expensive for what it is. Kinda have lost the drone lust, FPV would be exciting but not at that price.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭ozmo


    jogdish wrote: »
    Never ended up getting the Air 2 ( missing features in EU region and lack of claririty on the legal status in the future), after seeing the new DJI FPV drone, looks amazing something I would love to try, but after watching the Ian in London unboxing review, seems super expensive for what it is. Kinda have lost the drone lust, FPV would be exciting but not at that price.

    Exactly same here..
    but more the lack of features at that price- no case, no phone holder, no smart features - so cannot use it Instead of regular drone. Also surprising no stop on a detected obstacle - just a warning.

    But the real life 12 minute battery life for me was the deal breaker - and only one battery provided.

    You can get a sort of FPV experience with the mavics using google cardboard and an app called Litchi to see if fpv is for you.

    “Roll it back”



  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux


    Is this deal the best at the moment to buy a Mavic Air 2 package? Thanks in advance.

    https://store.dji.com/ie/product/mavic-air-2?vid=91101


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    How the hell do I track myself with the Mavic Air 2?

    I start the drone, fly to an altitude of about 5m, put myself in center of frame, click the circular tracking icon on right side under Video.

    Then when it prompts to select subject, I tap the phone screen on myself

    Nada.

    I hold the screen down. No green box appears.

    I'm on a Huawei P20 Lite if that matters?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer


    Gruffalux wrote: »
    Is this deal the best at the moment to buy a Mavic Air 2 package? Thanks in advance.

    https://store.dji.com/ie/product/mavic-air-2?vid=91101

    Droneworks are offering the above + 1 year care refresh for €1119 which is a saving of €19 compared to the same on the DJI website.

    They also offer mix and match options from the basic drone package through some, but not all the extras that come in the combo package.

    See https://www.droneworksireland.ie/product-category/mavic-air-2/ for more.

    I ordered a drone off them last week and awaiting delivery.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭jogdish


    Mavic as a term is being dropped, and a new drone called the "Air 2S" bascially an upgrade of the MA2, which I would be kinda annoyed if I bought the MA2 thats a quick upgrade cycle.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    jogdish wrote: »
    I would be kinda annoyed if I bought the MA2 thats a quick upgrade cycle.

    I guess... though it is pricey so by the time I'm looking to upgrade the price will have dropped.

    Good thing is it uses the same batteries so at least at lot can be recycled when moving over to the new model.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer


    jogdish wrote: »
    Mavic as a term is being dropped, and a new drone called the "Air 2S" bascially an upgrade of the MA2, which I would be kinda annoyed if I bought the MA2 thats a quick upgrade cycle.

    Yep brought a MA2 the end of March. So I'm in that boat. But overall very happy with my purchase


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    I've never been able to get FocusTrack to work with my Mavic Air 2.

    I've had it about 3 months.

    Everything else works fine on the drone, but when I try to get it tracking my movement, it never focuses on me with a green outline box.

    Is that an issue with the drone, or my phone?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭ozmo


    mrcheez wrote: »
    I've never been able to get FocusTrack to work with my Mavic Air 2.

    ...
    Is that an issue with the drone, or my phone?

    Worked in my mavic air no problem- but it has to be flying fairly high in the sky before it will let you track...
    However, whatever way i moved, it backed up very quickly and very nearly went into a tree - no backwards sensors - i hit the cancel/pause button and it stopped just at edge of the tree - i never used track me feature again.

    “Roll it back”



  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    ozmo wrote: »
    Worked in my mavic air no problem- but it has to be flying fairly high in the sky before it will let you track...
    However, whatever way i moved, it backed up very quickly and very nearly went into a tree - no backwards sensors - i hit the cancel/pause button and it stopped just at edge of the tree - i never used track me feature again.

    This is the bit that doesn't work for me

    https://youtu.be/RTbi1R_tsTI?t=809


    I'm going to try it again this evening.... it might be because I was wearing a yellow fluorescent jacket before and it wasn't able to detect me.


    actually further in that video he suggests this:

    https://youtu.be/RTbi1R_tsTI?t=817

    I don't have that enabled so that might be the fix I'm looking for


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    Ok I popped out there now wearing a grey jumper and it worked!

    It's cute following me around...feels like a pet


  • Posts: 0 Ari Old Unicorn


    I have a Mavic Air 2 and a white car. It struggled to follow the car on a sunny day - it was down to the contrast. The road was actually a very light grey (I kinda thought, "the road must be black" ! if I thought about it at all!

    Tried it early next morning, which provided better contrast, and it worked a treat


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    robert6920 wrote: »
    I have a Mavic Air 2 and a white car. It struggled to follow the car on a sunny day - it was down to the contrast. The road was actually a very light grey (I kinda thought, "the road must be black" ! if I thought about it at all!

    Tried it early next morning, which provided better contrast, and it worked a treat

    Yeah it's definitely a flaky thing... seems to be based on colour rather than shape and doesn't seem to work on bright or reflective surfaces.

    I went out with my scooter and assumed it was tracking me, only to turn around and see it circling on the spot in the air about 200m behind me, I think a flash of sunlight got it confused.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    Well damn.. went to renew Care Refresh today which expired in December, and told I can't renew it as it has to be renewed while the previous one is still active.

    Very odd, so I guess it's not like standard insurance where you can renew it whenever you want.



  • Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭smurfjed


    14 months since last post in this thread, I hope that someone is still operating then Mavric Air 2.

    What’s the deal with software ? DJI GO / DJI PILOT /DJI FLY all appear to have ceased working. What APP are you using on Android for the Air 2?



  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    I was using the standard DJI Fly app last week... is it not working for you?

    Are you using a Samsung phone as apparently there are issues there...



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭smurfjed


    Yep, Samsung S23, it won’t even download.



  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez


    hmm .. it should download ok?

    My Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 seemed to load up DJI Fly ok when I tried.. though I haven't yet tested it with my drone. I have a dedicated Huawei phone for that, and don't really use my main phone.

    Though I might need to soon as my Huawei got a bit of water damage from flying the drone off a boat recently.. d'oh



  • Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭smurfjed


    Tried the DJI GO 4 on an iPhone and it worked, so I guess that DJI aren’t keeping their software up to date.

    had downloaded Go Fly for Android, it asked for a credit card to validate age, but in the small print it said that you got 2 days then it was €39.99 a month for some game access.



Advertisement