Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Distributor Road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Could say lots of negative stuff but instead I'll just say delighted to see this finally open. :)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

joujoujou wrote: »

What’s the first roundabout exits? I presumed it was straight from N4 to Kevinsfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What’s the first roundabout exits? I presumed it was straight from N4 to Kevinsfort.
    Looks to be Maugheraboy first exit, Dublin second exit (straight) and Oakfield third exit.

My commute from Caltragh to Finisklin will be a breeze... when I ever get back to doing a commute! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Basq wrote: »
    Looks to be Maugheraboy first exit, Dublin second exit (straight) and Oakfield third exit.

My commute from Caltragh to Finisklin will be a breeze... when I ever get back to doing a commute! :D

Oh yeah, cant get my head around that. Ill have to “get lost” after Lidl in the morning for a snoop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mapped here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/54.2654/-8.4955

I would be grateful if people could get the numbers of the local roads off the WDR, so I can map them.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Looks great, hopefully should shave a few mins into finisklin from the colooney side

BASHIR wrote: »
    Looks great, hopefully should shave a few mins into finisklin from the collooney side

Don't think it'll do much time wise as it's currently quicker to go through/out of town but it will mean less being stuck in traffic when schools & traffic levels return to normal. (Longer route than town)

I do note the traffic light sequence has not been updated so you get stopped at the lights at strandhill road & St Mary's junctions a lot. Not as free flowing as it really should be. But that might change when the volume picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Don't think it'll do much time wise as it's currently quicker to go through/out of town but it will mean less being stuck in traffic when schools & traffic levels return to normal. (Longer route than town)

I do note the traffic light sequence has not been updated so you get stopped at the lights at strandhill road & St Mary's junctions a lot. Not as free flowing as it really should be. But that might change when the volume picks up.
    i don't know why they didn't put a roundabout there when they had the space to do so.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    i don't know why they didn't put a roundabout there when they had the space to do so.

Ref: St Mary Junction

Poor planning management & short shortsightedness from the Co Co.
    Lights should be always green on the new road & only change when traffic from the side roads approach (at least Mon - Fri) or longer timed change intervals. But if no traffic on the side roads then they should not have a green light making new road traffic stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Who knew we had a couple of road design experts on the Sligo forum? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Who knew we had a couple of road design experts on the Sligo forum? :)

Don't forget the roundabout on the dual carriageway to get to KFC quicker.

Some classics over the years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

The light sequence heading South at the St. Marys juction was never a problem, you could coast to it at the speed limit and it would change before you'd stop.
    Those lights aren't there to provide free flowing traffic, they're there as a traffic calming measure, and for traffic management; the road does run between a built up area and a public park after all.

The light sequence may well change to prioritise traffic coming from Finisklin onto the R869, rather than that on the Strandhill Road, but they'll need to carry out a survey to determine that.
    I'm glad to see it open, it should prove to be a massive benefit to the town when people are back to work and schools fully reopen.

With schools back having this helps in the mornings...

Stop & go in place on part of it during the day at lunch 'for road maintenance' did not help!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Any sign of the N4-N15 improvement scheme being completed? I believe it was initially thought the work would last a short duration but is really dragging on now. Is there any end in sight? Not sure after the improvement work it will make traffic better for people in Rosses Point for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Any sign of the N4-N15 improvement scheme being completed? I believe it was initially thought the work would last a short duration but is really dragging on now. Is there any end in sight? Not sure after the improvement work it will make traffic better for people in Rosses Point for example.

https://www.sligococo.ie/N4-N15/

Gipo3 wrote: »

Thanks.

Works are now anticipated to be completed by Q2 2021 - let’s hope they stick to this timeframe. Have a feeling it may run over again.

The ‘benefits’ of the project are very questionable. Felt this project was not necessary, it almost appeared Sligo council had money to spend and went with this for the sake of it.

Benefits:

This ITS investment will improve safety, offer consistency in travel times and reduce congestion that will allow for fuel efficiency, as well as reduce air pollution.

The system will also have the capacity to allow for Emergency Vehicle green waves and the potential for public transport priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Thanks.

Works are now anticipated to be completed by Q2 2021 - let’s hope they stick to this timeframe. Have a feeling it may run over again.

The ‘benefits’ of the project are very questionable. Felt this project was not necessary, it almost appeared Sligo council had money to spend and went with this for the sake of it.

Benefits:

This ITS investment will improve safety, offer consistency in travel times and reduce congestion that will allow for fuel efficiency, as well as reduce air pollution.

The system will also have the capacity to allow for Emergency Vehicle green waves and the potential for public transport priority.

They put the bridge in the wrong place originally band ever since they have been literally and metaphorically in a hole and digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They put the bridge in the wrong place originally band ever since they have been literally and metaphorically in a hole and digging.

I was told that years ago. Hence that little "chicane" just before you hit the bridge coming in on the N15.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote: »
    I was told that years ago. Hence that little "chicane" just before you hit the bridge coming in on the N15.

Mayby we're talking about two different things. Did you mean the bridge should be somewhere else?

• Advertisement

What road works are starting now on the inner relief road near summer hill roundabout? It was like pre COVID days this morning with traffic backed up almost to caltragh bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

zorro2566 wrote: »
    What road works are starting now on the inner relief road near summer hill roundabout, it was like ore COVID days this morning with traffic backed up almost to caltragh bridge!

https://twitter.com/sligococo/status/1374013343325954052

Monday 22nd - Fri 26th

Essential roadworks beside the Knightsbridge Hospital entrance

So expect disruption for the week

Works finished early,clear run through this morning! Can't see what they were doing there,looks the same as before!

The light sequence may well change to prioritise traffic coming from Finisklin onto the R869, rather than that on the Strandhill Road, but they'll need to carry out a survey to determine that.

I see they were doing the traffic survey on the Strandhill junction to Finisklin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Was over and back a couple of times later and there were cyclists both times cycling on the road, rather than the cycle lanes.

Leaves it very hard to overtake and you have to either go into the hashed area, or else wait behind them.

Apologies to post here but just to say the work on the N4-N15 improvement scheme is nowhere near finished. I doubt it will be completed in Q.2 and again very doubtful in Q.3.

It’s a mess to get out of the town going northbound.

As much as I dislike the WDR road, it does make a big difference for going down the inner relief road...traffic is lighter even when Summerhill was back. Fingers crossed it stays that way in the full return to offices from Sept.

Why are all cyclists not using the provided cycle lane on this new road?
    The road carriageway for vehicular traffic is already narrow enough without having to give way further to cyclists that don't use the provided cycle lane.
    I would hope if an accident occurs this would be taken into account & more blame on the cyclist if they are not using the provided cycle lane.
    This road was partly promoted as having added safety with a dedicated cycle lane.
    (Not if they don't use it!) :mad:

Should the council be looking into this after spending all that money on this road??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Why are all cyclists not using the provided cycle lane on this new road?
    The road carriageway for vehicular traffic is already narrow enough without having to give way further to cyclists that don't use the provided cycle lane.
    I would hope if an accident occurs this would be taken into account & more blame on the cyclist if they are not using the provided cycle lane.
    This road was partly promoted as having added safety with a dedicated cycle lane.
    (Not if they don't use it!) :mad:

Should the council be looking into this after spending all that money on this road??

Cycle lanes are not legally compulsory:
    https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclists-obliged-cycle-lanes-ireland/

Cyclists are vulnerable road users so only fair they decide where there more comfortable cycling.
    I've used the cycle lanes on the Western Distributor a few times and not a big fan of it - there's a ridge between the footpath and cycle lane - I've heard of a few cyclists taking falls as a result of it.

Advertisement