Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Distributor Road

• 16-12-2020 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

"Western Distributor Road will be open before Christmas."

Still looking like January before we see this road open...a lot of work going on but looks to be very slow progress. I presume they'll finish up for Christmas next week & will be off until early Jan.

Fingers crossed it makes a difference when it does open. Would have been handy with the recent fire on Larkhill road.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Passed it at lunchtime yesterday.
    They do seem to be going hard at it but miles behind their deadline(s) at this stage.

Knowing Sligo Co. Co. it will be left on the long finger so they can argue for time penalties on the payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the delay was due to one of the companies going bust no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

shanec1928 wrote: »
    the delay was due to one of the companies going bust no?

That might explain a few months of no movement on any works.

If it doesnt open this weekend then it will run into the new year I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

zorro2566 wrote: »
    If it doesnt open this weekend then it will run into the new year I suppose.

There is no mention of it in the weekly roadworks email from SCC. Hopefully that's a good sign rather than an overlook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Gipo3 wrote: »

Very very disappointing but do appreciate the update & link.
    Fingers crossed there is no further delays getting this open in the new year.

The cycle lanes look great and what a vista heading towards the Strandhill road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Looks like a lovely job. Anyone know where I see a map of the route? I can't find anything on the CoCo site.

On another note They've completed 1.1 Km from Henry's towards Grange. Seems to be done now till after xmas. Huge improvement from what it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

sligojoek wrote: »
    Looks like a lovely job. Anyone know where I see a map of the route? I can't find anything on the CoCo site.

On another note They've completed 1.1 Km from Henry's towards Grange. Seems to be done now till after xmas. Huge improvement from what it was

OpenStreetMap have it on their map as a dashed yellow/white road (I'm guessing that's what colour they designate routes under construction) https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/54.2609/-8.4935

• Advertisement

Perfect.

Thanks

I would have never thought it was a 9km stretch, I would have guessed at 3km.

T-Bird wrote: »
    I would have never thought it was a 9km stretch, I would have guessed at 3km.
    What's 9km? Not the WDR, it's only 2km or so.

What's 9km? Not the WDR, it's only 2km or so.

From the link in OP

Scheme details
    9km of single urban distributor road between the existing N4 junction (Caltragh) and the existing Ballydoogan RoadVerges with 2km cycleway and 2m footway on each side of the carriageway.

I dunno, maybe the whole stretch is 9k from the N4 junction to Finisklin. But it seems an awful long way round. I could be reading it wrong..

Typo I would say. Never 9km.

More like 1.9 km, I’d say!

9 Km is just 5 and a half miles. It's not as the crow flies.

First think I'll do when I get to go on it, set the speedo & measure the distance :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Just measured it on Google maps, came up with 1.8km, add another 100m for bends etc and 1.9km seems about right

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Just measured it on Google maps, came up with 1.8km, add another 100m for bends etc and 1.9km seems about right

Thought as much!

• Advertisement

Wonder will it open now due to the latest lockdown! Is there any work taking place on it this week?

Wonder will it open now due to the latest lockdown! Is there any work taking place on it this week?
    The never said what year it would open knowing Sligo coco it will be 2022 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Looks to be very little work going on there at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

I walked out it a couple of times looks finished as far as I can see.

I think they are trying to find the other 6k they budgeted for... :eek:

Allegedly to open on the 11th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Open for traffice, Monday 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Construction work on the Sligo Western Distributor Road Phase II is completed & will be opened to traffic on Monday January 11th from 4pm. @OceanFmIreland @IDAIRELAND @IDANorthWest @sligoweekender @SligoChampion @Sligo
    https://t.co/3eCrKZCyry
    https://t.co/edJHxvsOnE https://t.co/ods6zVmRnK

BTW the distance is 1.9km, someone did indeed make a typo and left out the "1." on the SCC website, which is still there....

"9km of single urban distributor road between the existing N4 junction (Caltragh) and the existing Ballydoogan Road"

at least the FB page has it corrected

"Scheme details
    The road will link the N4 National Primary Road at the Caltragh interchange with the Roger Eames road Ballydoogan and to the R292 Strandhill Road.
    1.9km of single urban distributor road between the existing N4 junction (Caltragh) and the existing Ballydoogan Road"

• Advertisement

It’s open now, just saw traffic heading toward Caltragh roundabout!

Could say lots of negative stuff but instead I'll just say delighted to see this finally open. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

joujoujou wrote: »

What’s the first roundabout exits? I presumed it was straight from N4 to Kevinsfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What’s the first roundabout exits? I presumed it was straight from N4 to Kevinsfort.
    Looks to be Maugheraboy first exit, Dublin second exit (straight) and Oakfield third exit.

My commute from Caltragh to Finisklin will be a breeze... when I ever get back to doing a commute! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Basq wrote: »
    Looks to be Maugheraboy first exit, Dublin second exit (straight) and Oakfield third exit.

My commute from Caltragh to Finisklin will be a breeze... when I ever get back to doing a commute! :D

Oh yeah, cant get my head around that. Ill have to “get lost” after Lidl in the morning for a snoop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mapped here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/54.2654/-8.4955

I would be grateful if people could get the numbers of the local roads off the WDR, so I can map them.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Looks great, hopefully should shave a few mins into finisklin from the colooney side

BASHIR wrote: »
    Looks great, hopefully should shave a few mins into finisklin from the collooney side

Don't think it'll do much time wise as it's currently quicker to go through/out of town but it will mean less being stuck in traffic when schools & traffic levels return to normal. (Longer route than town)

I do note the traffic light sequence has not been updated so you get stopped at the lights at strandhill road & St Mary's junctions a lot. Not as free flowing as it really should be. But that might change when the volume picks up.

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Don't think it'll do much time wise as it's currently quicker to go through/out of town but it will mean less being stuck in traffic when schools & traffic levels return to normal. (Longer route than town)

I do note the traffic light sequence has not been updated so you get stopped at the lights at strandhill road & St Mary's junctions a lot. Not as free flowing as it really should be. But that might change when the volume picks up.
    i don't know why they didn't put a roundabout there when they had the space to do so.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    i don't know why they didn't put a roundabout there when they had the space to do so.

Ref: St Mary Junction

Poor planning management & short shortsightedness from the Co Co.
    Lights should be always green on the new road & only change when traffic from the side roads approach (at least Mon - Fri) or longer timed change intervals. But if no traffic on the side roads then they should not have a green light making new road traffic stop.

• Advertisement

Who knew we had a couple of road design experts on the Sligo forum? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Who knew we had a couple of road design experts on the Sligo forum? :)

Don't forget the roundabout on the dual carriageway to get to KFC quicker.

Some classics over the years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

BronsonTB wrote: »

The light sequence heading South at the St. Marys juction was never a problem, you could coast to it at the speed limit and it would change before you'd stop.
    Those lights aren't there to provide free flowing traffic, they're there as a traffic calming measure, and for traffic management; the road does run between a built up area and a public park after all.

The light sequence may well change to prioritise traffic coming from Finisklin onto the R869, rather than that on the Strandhill Road, but they'll need to carry out a survey to determine that.
    I'm glad to see it open, it should prove to be a massive benefit to the town when people are back to work and schools fully reopen.

With schools back having this helps in the mornings...

Stop & go in place on part of it during the day at lunch 'for road maintenance' did not help!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Any sign of the N4-N15 improvement scheme being completed? I believe it was initially thought the work would last a short duration but is really dragging on now. Is there any end in sight? Not sure after the improvement work it will make traffic better for people in Rosses Point for example.

Any sign of the N4-N15 improvement scheme being completed? I believe it was initially thought the work would last a short duration but is really dragging on now. Is there any end in sight? Not sure after the improvement work it will make traffic better for people in Rosses Point for example.

https://www.sligococo.ie/N4-N15/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Thanks.

Works are now anticipated to be completed by Q2 2021 - let’s hope they stick to this timeframe. Have a feeling it may run over again.

The ‘benefits’ of the project are very questionable. Felt this project was not necessary, it almost appeared Sligo council had money to spend and went with this for the sake of it.

Benefits:

This ITS investment will improve safety, offer consistency in travel times and reduce congestion that will allow for fuel efficiency, as well as reduce air pollution.

The system will also have the capacity to allow for Emergency Vehicle green waves and the potential for public transport priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Thanks.

Works are now anticipated to be completed by Q2 2021 - let’s hope they stick to this timeframe. Have a feeling it may run over again.

The ‘benefits’ of the project are very questionable. Felt this project was not necessary, it almost appeared Sligo council had money to spend and went with this for the sake of it.

Benefits:

This ITS investment will improve safety, offer consistency in travel times and reduce congestion that will allow for fuel efficiency, as well as reduce air pollution.

The system will also have the capacity to allow for Emergency Vehicle green waves and the potential for public transport priority.

They put the bridge in the wrong place originally band ever since they have been literally and metaphorically in a hole and digging.

They put the bridge in the wrong place originally band ever since they have been literally and metaphorically in a hole and digging.

I was told that years ago. Hence that little "chicane" just before you hit the bridge coming in on the N15.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I was told that years ago. Hence that little "chicane" just before you hit the bridge coming in on the N15.

Mayby we're talking about two different things. Did you mean the bridge should be somewhere else?

• Advertisement
Advertisement