Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Distributor Road

2»

Comments

What road works are starting now on the inner relief road near summer hill roundabout? It was like pre COVID days this morning with traffic backed up almost to caltragh bridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

zorro2566 wrote: »
    What road works are starting now on the inner relief road near summer hill roundabout, it was like ore COVID days this morning with traffic backed up almost to caltragh bridge!

https://twitter.com/sligococo/status/1374013343325954052

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Monday 22nd - Fri 26th

Essential roadworks beside the Knightsbridge Hospital entrance

So expect disruption for the week

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Works finished early,clear run through this morning! Can't see what they were doing there,looks the same as before!

The light sequence may well change to prioritise traffic coming from Finisklin onto the R869, rather than that on the Strandhill Road, but they'll need to carry out a survey to determine that.

I see they were doing the traffic survey on the Strandhill junction to Finisklin today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Was over and back a couple of times later and there were cyclists both times cycling on the road, rather than the cycle lanes.

Leaves it very hard to overtake and you have to either go into the hashed area, or else wait behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Apologies to post here but just to say the work on the N4-N15 improvement scheme is nowhere near finished. I doubt it will be completed in Q.2 and again very doubtful in Q.3.

It’s a mess to get out of the town going northbound.

As much as I dislike the WDR road, it does make a big difference for going down the inner relief road...traffic is lighter even when Summerhill was back. Fingers crossed it stays that way in the full return to offices from Sept.

Why are all cyclists not using the provided cycle lane on this new road?
    The road carriageway for vehicular traffic is already narrow enough without having to give way further to cyclists that don't use the provided cycle lane.
    I would hope if an accident occurs this would be taken into account & more blame on the cyclist if they are not using the provided cycle lane.
    This road was partly promoted as having added safety with a dedicated cycle lane.
    (Not if they don't use it!) :mad:

Should the council be looking into this after spending all that money on this road??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Why are all cyclists not using the provided cycle lane on this new road?
    The road carriageway for vehicular traffic is already narrow enough without having to give way further to cyclists that don't use the provided cycle lane.
    I would hope if an accident occurs this would be taken into account & more blame on the cyclist if they are not using the provided cycle lane.
    This road was partly promoted as having added safety with a dedicated cycle lane.
    (Not if they don't use it!) :mad:

Should the council be looking into this after spending all that money on this road??

Cycle lanes are not legally compulsory:
    https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclists-obliged-cycle-lanes-ireland/

Cyclists are vulnerable road users so only fair they decide where there more comfortable cycling.
    I've used the cycle lanes on the Western Distributor a few times and not a big fan of it - there's a ridge between the footpath and cycle lane - I've heard of a few cyclists taking falls as a result of it.

marvin80 wrote: »
    https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclists-obliged-cycle-lanes-ireland/

Cyclists are vulnerable road users so only fair they decide where there more comfortable cycling.
    I've used the cycle lanes on the Western Distributor a few times and not a big fan of it - there's a ridge between the footpath and cycle lane - I've heard of a few cyclists taking falls as a result of it.

Cheers, sounds like poor design & not fit for it's purpose if it's causing falls.

Thanks for explaining why they might use the road instead.

Shame the council didn't have that sorted in the planning stages rather than after spending all that money. (Wider road incorporating the cycle lane might have been more safer & practical than putting the pedestrian walkway & cycle lane together, esp if the cyclist is now left feeling safer on the narrow roadway)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barangutan

It's funny you bring it up, I was driving down it with my nephew a couple of weeks ago and there were a few cyclists in front of us. He asked why they weren't using the cycle path and I explained (as a keen cyclist) some of the reasons why they might have chosen to ride on the road instead.

One thing I said is that they might have simply missed the merge up onto the cycle path. When you cycle in a county with (until recently) virtually zero segregated cycling infrastructure, you just sort of forget to expect it. You're so used to just cycling left of a painted line or on the hard shoulder.

And as it happens, that exact thing happened me a week later when I was cycling out of Oakfield. Found myself cycling on the road alongside the cycle path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gazebothing

marvin80 wrote: »

The ridge between the footpath and the cycle lane is a design requirement, it is there to segregate the cyclists from the pedestrians.
    I would say that the proper TDF wannabes cycle on the road, as there is a lot of people are walking/jogging along this route and are often on the cycle lane and they dont want to slow down to effect their strava times. Most of the average commuter/leisure cyclists Ive seen use the cycle lane.

Advertisement