Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is 2021 a write off?

Options
  • 14-01-2021 12:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

Where can I get some garden furniture, so I can drink my homemade coffee outdoors and pretend I'm eating out? Might as well try and enjoy my summer somehow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The country will be back open by summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

^^^ not realistic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Most of it I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Once those vulnerable and those on the frontline are vaccinated we will be grand. I'd see nightclubs open here in August,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Cerveza wrote: »

Possible,but this is Ireland we are talking about!

If we are open by summer many other countries will be sorted by march or April...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭StevenToast

We will be in level 3 by the summer....for the rest of the year...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

At least the rain will be warm then.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

This time next year the only corona will be the band and the bottles,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who would we be trying to protect? The deaths simply won't be there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Instead of protecting 0.00001% of the propulation we will be protecting 0.000000001% of the population by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ya hope.

110 the last two days, very few of them pre January, the peak morbidity and mortality now in the 55 to 74 bracket.

So ya *hope* the deaths simply won't be there come summer.

There will be full croke park this football and hurling final this year. The vaccines will have massive impact over night.

Edit- rescinded after considering it, as the_dunne points out below it was well over the line into dickish.

As usual, my response to these threads is that before covid there were miserable people writing off their lives

During covid there are miserable people writing off their lives

I predict with some confidence that post covid there will remain a not inconsiderable rump of miserable people writing off their lives

Ive had a busy and fulfilling 2020 and while there's no denying the difficulty and uncertainty and tragedy covid has brought, we never had a year yet without those things and I wouldn't bet my happiness or future plans on avoiding them entirely in any year coming neither

Jesus.

That's awfully disrespectful to those who weren't as lucky as you.

Fair play mate, delighted you had a good 2020. For the most it was horrific and we are doing our best to recover from it.

I'm sure there are a lot of miserable people. Justifiably so. Just because your year was bad (but ok) I don't think you should be a dick and assume people miserable about a horrendous year are doing it for ****s and giggles.

Know your audience man. It's been tough.

Jesus.

That's awfully disrespectful to those who weren't as lucky as you.

Fair play mate, delighted you had a good 2020. For the most it was horrific and we are doing our best to recover from it.

I'm sure there are a lot of miserable people. Justifiably so. Just because your year was bad (but ok) I don't think you should be a dick and assume people miserable about a horrendous year are doing it for ****s and giggles.

Know your audience man. It's been tough.

If you think id be balling into a thread not describing an entire year as a "write off" and taking the same tone, youd be mistaken

That in itself is a rotten, negative and depressing way to think of it, imo

But in fairness i admit, ok yeah i got carried away and it has been very hard for a lot of people, of course.

But instance after instance of these threads are absolutely gleeful for the gloom imo which helps nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    ^^^ not realistic imo.

What's blocking us reopening is the numbers of people who could possibly end up in ICU or taking up hospital beds. So when it comes to vaccinations you can basically open up once the population over mid-thirties are vaccinated.

I can't un-quote snoopsheep but I admire the fact he engaged and reconsidered. He wasn't entirely wrong and he took on board other opinions.

It's rare, it's beautiful and shouldn't go unrecognised. Massive respect mate. Might not agree with you, but always will be willing to talk about any difference.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

There will be full croke park this football and hurling final this year. The vaccines will have massive impact over night.

Yeah, I'd be amazed if the vaccination programme is finished by mid 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭fits

We’ve our holiday home booked for August in Ireland.

I’d like to take my boys for a short trip on a plane but only when it’s safe to do so. Might be 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Where can I get some garden furniture, so I can drink my homemade coffee outdoors and pretend I'm eating out? Might as well try and enjoy my summer somehow.

Plenty of online options, we 'll hopefully be having garden dinners again this summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

50 more weeks to go in 2021, way too early to be calling it a write off. Things will get better.
    We'll be living with some level of restrictions for the year but it will be better than now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Once those vulnerable and those on the frontline are vaccinated we will be grand. I'd see nightclubs open here in August,

The year isn’t a write off. We will be able to do a lot of things later in the year, including holidays, but neither of the two things mentioned above will be happening in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

First six months very restricted so pretty much a write off. After that hopefully freedom.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My bet is broadly level 5 to late March and level 3 to June or July with a level 2 July August and level 1 for the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

But the government will still be listening to the experts on RTE, so lockdown forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Summer yes ....

summer 2022

Given we weren't really locked down in summer 2020 and there were 5 cases in June 21 why would we be locked down this summer with 50% of people vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The misus seems to think she'll be able to travel to Poland this year. She's aiming for May I think. I can't see it happening myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

You're forgetting the finals are on in July this year so unlikely to happen, sadly.

That said, the Government will want to keep pace with the rest of the EU for Euro 2020 in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The misus seems to think she'll be able to travel to Poland this year. She's aiming for May I think. I can't see it happening myself.

You can fly Dublin to Krakow tomorrow? I can see it happening.

Advertisement