Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,703 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

In what way was he taking the piss? :confused:

All an act. He's a comic.

Gay Byrne does'nt just impart that his guest is "Tired and Emotional" as he might have to today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Will always remember this from living in Scotland at the time, Scotland playing Wales in 1978, Willie Donachie passing the ball back to his goalie and accidently scoring.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

John.burke wrote: »

More than any other single thing Trump did or said over the last few years, and there's a lot to choose from, that was the one which sickened me the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Gay Byrne does'nt just impart that his guest is "Tired and Emotional" as he might have to today

I think fair play to the guy that interjected to pull up gay byrne about his rule about people appearing on tv with drink on them

Never heard him before pulling up people that was on the late late before who had drink on them

Didnt see the whole interview but the guy seemed to be okay,have seen worse on there and he could have been on medication

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Gay Byrne was one of the biggest hypocrites in RTE, I think i remember Shane McGowen drunk on his show and he didnt have the balls to check him

Also

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-drank-and-drove-home-from-late-late-says-gay-26547792.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Will always remember this from living in Scotland at the time, Scotland playing Wales in 1978, Willie Donachie passing the ball back to his goalie and accidently scoring.

There is a better own goal

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There's a weird internet underground of people who try to find a recording of this that's somehow more interesting to me than the event or recording itself -

https://www.vulture.com/2016/01/death-hags-christine-chubbuck-suicide-video.html

Well the recording does exist and it’s the widow of the station manager that had it but it’ll never see the light of day. Another American one was the Pennsylvanian politician who committed suicide live on TV. The bizarre thing is that some stations replayed the thing in full with no editing during the day. That would never happen now thankfully. That incident happened around this time of year.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Dana giving a weird statement to a question no one asked in the presidential debate. Pretty sure it was the same debate that RTE blindsided McGuiness and by the end of the day pretty much everyone bar Michael D was dead in the water

Oh yeah. It was clear nobody had any idea she was going to say that. I think it was Mariam O’ Callaghan who was moderating the debate and when Dana finished Miriam says “okay” or “alright” in a way to say what the **** did we just hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Diana Ross at World Cup 94, only had the keeper to beat!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh yeah. It was clear nobody had any idea she was going to say that. I think it was Mariam O’ Callaghan who was moderating the debate and when Dana finished Miriam says “okay” or “alright” in a way to say what the **** did we just hear.

The papers were full of it the week of the debate, about Danas brother and a smear campaign on the candidate. Im afraid Miriam was feigning ignorance imv

Tom Pryce + the Race Marshal in the 1977 South African Grand Prix. The latter running across the track.
    The fire extinguisher.....
    Rough.

Yes it is rough. There’s the dale Earnhardt crash which is hard to watch and I watched a documentary which is worse.

There’s a few crashes from America which are hard to watch.

The papers were full of it the week of the debate, about Danas brother and a smear campaign on the candidate. Im afraid Miriam was feigning ignorance imv

Ignorance in terms of not knowing she was going to make a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't remember seeing it an any papers before the debate and Dana brings it up after a break as if it was something that was just about to come out. Most people looked like they had no clue what she was on about

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Another one was the fatal crash that killed Gordon Smiley at Indianapolis in 1982. I have yet to see a more violent crash. Not sure if it was live but its on youtube. Roger Williamsons crash at Zandvoort 1973 was horrific as well.

I saw the crashes that killed Senna, Greg Moore and Jeff Crosnoff live. Of those 3, I thought Senna would live but not the other 2 drivers.

The Gordon smiley when I first watched it, it took me a few watches to realise what was what. There was another one where there was a big crash and the driver went into the fence. It’s horrible to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Thargor wrote: »
    Mary O Rourke, she's disappeared actually, she used to be on every second rte show for ages.

She is 83 in all fairness. If I don't "disappear" from my main professional/commercial activity until I'm in my 80's I'll be happy enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Richard Littlejohn (creep of the Neil Prendiville, Niall Boylan type) is put in his place, unexpectedly, by Michael Winner.

Even to this day the medical attention giving to tennis players is a joke. Not like football where if you go down badly, you have a team of medical staff to help you. In tennis people get seriously injured and just lay there in agony while everyone just sits there like dopes .

Not cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

OK this might sound like it pales in comparison to a lot of other stuff in the thread.

But there was a creepypasta on 4chan in around 2007 or maybe later about Spongebob Square pants. It's called Squidward's Suicide and features mutilated children. Lots of people did tributes. There's a synopsis of it
    here.

As you see, it's not that mad in and of itself, it's at best a reasonably well-written ghost story.

But the studio actually clipped scenes from a gruesome fan video of it into a real episode of the children's cartoon

https://twitter.com/surrealegg/status/1175440097371656192?s=20

I think it's fairly f'd up.

They subsequently removed it. It's edited to be slightly less bad than the original. Still, probably scared the shjt out of unsuspecting children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

John Lydon aka Johnny rotten of the sex pistols was on judge Judy once. It wasn't very punk rock to see Judy put him in his place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Guy who slipped on ice

Was he ever found, / outted?

OK this might sound like it pales in comparison to a lot of other stuff in the thread.

But there was a creepypasta on 4chan in around 2007 or maybe later about Spongebob Square pants. It's called Squidward's Suicide and features mutilated children. Lots of people did tributes. There's a synopsis of it
    here.

As you see, it's not that mad in and of itself, it's at best a reasonably well-written ghost story.

But the studio actually clipped scenes from a gruesome fan video of it into a real episode of the children's cartoon

https://twitter.com/surrealegg/status/1175440097371656192?s=20

I think it's fairly f'd up.

They subsequently removed it. It's edited to be slightly less bad than the original. Still, probably scared the shjt out of unsuspecting children.

It's not something that happened on live tv though, weird as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Very few cartoons are broadcast live, it's a terrible strain on the animators wrists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I vividly remember the fall of communism in the late 80s.
    Two really stand out.
    Firstly, Romania. Ceacescu making his usual annual bullsh1t speech from the presidential Palace, but failing to read the room as they say now :)
    His sectet police whisked him away, but the army flipped, and it wasn't long before we saw pictures of himself and his wife executed.

The second one was the fall of the Soviet Union.
    First Gorbachev had gone away for a "retreat" of sorts, but the hardliners had staged a coup.
    However after some tense days of standoffs in moscow again the army flipped and the game was up. I remember Boris Yeltsin emerging as the hero standing against the leaders of the coup (there must have been a threat to the supplies of vodka!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Two really stand out.
    Firstly, Romania. Ceacescu making his usual annual bullsh1t speech from the presidential Palace, but failing to read the room as they say now :)
    His sectet police whisked him away, but the army flipped, and it wasn't long before we saw pictures of himself and his wife executed.

First Gorbachev had gone away for a "retreat" of sorts, but the hardliners had staged a coup.
    However after some tense days of standoffs in moscow again the army flipped and the game was up. I remember Boris Yeltsin emerging as the hero standing against the leaders of the coup (there must have been a threat to the supplies of vodka!)

I vaguely remember both. Ceaucescu and his lads being hunted through tunnels under the city possibly? And did a tank fire at a tall building in Moscow during the coup? I was quite young at the time. I prefer the crazy, possibly wrong, memories than trying to find info online

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oh how i wish there was an irish version of that show :p it'd be great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

fryup wrote: »
    oh how i wish there was an irish version of that show :p it'd be great craic

thats my idea of hell. must be what being a teacher is like. a bunch of noisy xxxxs screaming crap at you while your stressed out of your head trying to get the one remotely smart kid to write it on the board.

• Advertisement

Two really stand out.

Yes, not screened live but I vividly remember Ceasceu and his wife's execution by firing squad being shown on the news.

Advertisement