Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Francisco Bustamante throwing his cue at the ref after missing the 9 ball to win the World Pool Championship in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

One that wouldn't be too well known here.

Jim Everett was an NFL quarterback. Jim Rome - a smarmy, up-his-own-hole talk show radio host had a running gag where he kept calling him Chris (referring to female tennis player at the time Chris Evert)

Rome had Jim Everett on his show, and called him Chris again. Everett said "I don't think you'll do that again..", and Rome foolishly called his bluff.

Also, the time Shaquille O'Neill tripped over studio wire during a half time show. Genuinely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

fr neil horan running on to the track at the british grand prix in 2003 nearly getting hit as the cars were doing top speed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

listen to the passion of nbc's morning news anchor Joe Scarborough about wednesday's riot,
    he doesn't hold back...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Don't know if this is true or urban myth and apologies that it's radio not TV related but for me this is a cracker.......if true!!

An RTE 2 Radio Gerry Ryan phone in asking people where they would wish to be buried.

Gerry Ryan: "Would you like to be buried or cremated?"

Caller: "Buried Gerry."

Gerry Ryan: "Where would you like to be buried?"

Caller: "Up to my balls in Bibi Baskin!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭quodec

Giant Haystack showing Jackie Fullerton the slam!! I remember seeing this on ITV, sometime in the 1980s. Still painful to watch but also hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npoRzkkBXsM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Thargor wrote: »
    Mary O Rourke, she's disappeared actually, she used to be on every second rte show for ages.

Does a small pointless column on athone advertiser each week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Francisco Bustamante throwing his cue at the ref after missing the 9 ball to win the World Pool Championship in 2004

Link for this?

Bustamante wasn't in the final in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

tame compared to alot of others but big Dell Sailor breaking another players arm while arm wrestling on the Footy Show in Australia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 paleoperson2

Remember last year when Nell McCafferty started shouting something during the huge Gay Byrne memorial special on tv and they had to pull the mic away from her. In retrospect it may not have been as mad as it sounds (at least from an article like the following, which might have PR from her/her family) but still a pretty wild moment at the time. (can't post urls because I'm a new user).

thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/4745989/nell-mccafferty-not-drunk-late-show/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,681 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dana giving a weird statement to a question no one asked in the presidential debate. Pretty sure it was the same debate that RTE blindsided McGuiness and by the end of the day pretty much everyone bar Michael D was dead in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

quodec wrote: »
    Giant Haystack showing Jackie Fullerton the slam!! I remember seeing this on ITV, sometime in the 1980s. Still painful to watch but also hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npoRzkkBXsM

I'll raise your pro wrestler David Shultz slapping interviewer John Stossel for calling wrestling fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

It was very funny when Preston from Big Brother walked out on Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Simon Amstel just kept ripping the pi55 out of him, then started reading from his wife’s, Chantelle from Big Brothers, autobiography. He threw a massive hissy fit and stormed off.

Simon Amstel tearing apart Donnie from Towers of London piece by piece was brilliant television

Incidentally Sean Hughes who was a captain for a good few years on it,i came across his obituary from The Guardian the other day looking for something else,was written by a "friend",just wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I designed francie t-shirt for atlanta

https://youtu.be/WNrnnEtZqrA

de Gareth Brooks saga epic.
    I became a fan of his website to see press con. glorious..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I designed francie t-shirt for atlanta

Any spares,collectors items now along with Feile t-shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Remember last year when Nell McCafferty started shouting something during the huge Gay Byrne memorial special on tv and they had to pull the mic away from her. In retrospect it may not have been as mad as it sounds (at least from an article like the following, which might have PR from her/her family) but still a pretty wild moment at the time. (can't post urls because I'm a new user).

thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/4745989/nell-mccafferty-not-drunk-late-show/

That woman shouldn't be let anywhere a live mic, she cost Newstalk a nice wedge of cash about ten years ago as well.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/harney-receives-450000-over-radio-alcoholic-slur-26729698.html

edit: here's the offensive piece of audio (starts 01:00 in). I remember hearing it live at the time and wondering who thought it would be a good idea to let Nell in studio without a delay.

https://youtu.be/-BPGee7OdVo

• Registered Users Posts: 35,766 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

this guy was taking the piss, and everyone fell for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 35,766 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Was he the same man who ran out into a bicycle race too?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't know if this has been posted already but his famous marathon invasion at the 2004 Olympics.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Link for this?

Bustamante wasn't in the final in 2004

he sure was, versus Earl "The Pearl" Strickland, there was alot of animosity leading up too and during the match over Earl having sexual relations with either Francisco's aunt or his sister. I'll try find the link but it was definitely 2004, I thought it might have been in the Mosconi Cup but Bustamente wasn't eligible to play in that

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Gaybo had some dr on the late late interviewing him, think he was a phycologist. Yer man was drunk but pretending not to be, gaybo called him out in it and basically starting doing an intervention live on air with yer man claiming he wasn’t drunk or an alcoholic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The Olympic Marathon in Athens 2004.
    Royally screwing the man in the lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

inforfun wrote: »
    The Olympic Marathon in Athens 2004.
    Royally screwing the man in the lead

Pales into insignificance if you are aware of the details of his court case about 15 years ago

tipptom wrote: »
    Any spares,collectors items now along with Feile t-shirts

doubt it my mother is like cleaner robot threw out within days

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

eastie17 wrote: »
    Gaybo had some dr on the late late interviewing him, think he was a phycologist. Yer man was drunk but pretending not to be, gaybo called him out in it and basically starting doing an intervention live on air with yer man claiming he wasn’t drunk or an alcoholic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

54and56 wrote: »
    Don't know if this is true or urban myth and apologies that it's radio not TV related but for me this is a cracker.......if true!!

An RTE 2 Radio Gerry Ryan phone in asking people where they would wish to be buried.

Gerry Ryan: "Would you like to be buried or cremated?"

Caller: "Buried Gerry."

Gerry Ryan: "Where would you like to be buried?"

Caller: "Up to my balls in Bibi Baskin!"

Dont think that happened tbh, at least I've never seen any convincng evidence that it did. Jerry Ryan himself never seemed to mention it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 paleoperson2

this guy was taking the piss, and everyone fell for it .

In what way was he taking the piss? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement