Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Bit of a false memory there old boy, Francie was a hillside man from galway, Chicks barber shop was down at the end of shop st kind of accross from juries, that interview was filmed out at hillside, the ould brain is a funny thing all right

Chicks was on Lower Dominik St.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bill O'Reilly has a melt down because he can't understand the phrase 'to play us out'

Silly arse!

It is like watching Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman) on Newsradio :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

1996 Olympics in Atlanta.
    Francie Barrett boxing for Ireland.
    A traveller from Tuam, coached by the local barber named Chick. It was a great story. A decent sportsman doing everyone proud and making a bit of history for his people.

Until Marty Morrissey went down to interview Francie's family one night for RTE...
    A gathering of various Tuam people, headed by numerous local travellers, gathered round a barrell on fire, replete with every visual stereotype you could imagine. And Marty famously asks Mrs Barrett, or one of the assembled women, in words I can't exactly remember, if Francie had ever practiced his boxing skills on her.... you know, that sorta thing...
    And that man remains one of RTE's most prominent presenters to this day.

Jaysus, I remember that and the question. It was his mother all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Morris Garren

Bit of a false memory there old boy, Francie was a hillside man from galway, Chicks barber shop was down at the end of shop st kind of accross from juries, that interview was filmed out at hillside, the ould brain is a funny thing all right

Apologies - geography isn't my strong point. Too many head punches methinks
    Sorry Shams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Apologies - geography isn't my strong point. Too many head punches methinks
    Sorry Shams

Never mind I made an error myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Jack o Connor SIPTU couldn't stick the heat so he got out of the kitchen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I remember a tribute show to Jack Charlton I think after he retired. I can't remember who was presenting the show - Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny or Jimmy Magee? - Anyway the mic was going around to people in the audience who were singing his praises until a Indian or Pakistani doctor from Limerick said he knew a man from back home who looked the spit of Jack which drew a laugh. Charlton was visibly vexed and replied "Well I wouldn't want to look like you!" The doctor's face fell and he was clearly hurt humiliated and angry. Charlton laughed and the audience laughed too and the mic went onto the next person.

I remember a tribute show to Jack Charlton I think after he retired. I can't remember who was presenting the show - Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny or Jimmy Magee? - Anyway the mic was going around to people in the audience who were singing his praises until a Indian or Pakistani doctor from Limerick said he knew a man from back home who looked the spit of Jack which drew a laugh. Charlton was visibly vexed and replied "Well I wouldn't want to look like you!" The doctor's face fell and he was clearly hurt humiliated and angry. Charlton laughed and the audience laughed too and the mic went onto the next person.

I remember that, the guy was African. Think he was talking about someone in Ireland rather than his own country. As far as I recall Jack said "well I dont look like you".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Needless to say Youtube is silent on this matter but I have a definite memory of Samantha Mumba being on the Late Late in the Kenny era when a "wardrobe malfunction" occurred.

The front of her top was gaping open so much that Camera 3 closed in on her face while presumably safety pins were fitted. Does anyone remember this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just came across this mini documentary on this gobsh1te on Youtube, funny to read other nationalities reactions to him in the comments:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Another from Jack. I was watching this at the time

https://youtu.be/-8x3sr4cCXE

• Registered Users Posts: 19,111 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I can't remember if it was People in Need on RTE or some other charidee show, but I remember Van Damme being on as a guest and an actress from Eastenders. Van Damme was around the peak of his career which I'd say was early 90's and I'm not sure if it was the pressure of being amongst the stellar talent at rte of if it the event was sponsored by Pablo Escobar, but I remember him being really creepy and smarmy trying to shift yer wan.

maxresdefault.jpg

Vincent finished the show by playing "hit the road, jack" as the credits rolled...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just thought of another, Marc Vivien-For collapsing and dying on the pitch for Cameroon.
    I think it was a summer tournament in France and it was on Eurosport. I was on crutches for the summer as a teenager so I'd watch anything on tv to pass the time. I was delighted when I saw some football was on.

I remember him getting treatment at the time and the commentators not really knowing what was going on (might even have just been that one commentator that does everything on Eurosport). But when they were stretchering him off it was clear he was possibly already dead, his arm was limp and hanging down and his eyes were rolled back. The camera lingered a bit too long before cutting away.

I was watching Sky News when they were reporting on the first IRA ceasefire in 1994. They were taking calls from members of the public in the North I think talking about their experiences of the troubles. One old guy from Belfast came on talking about discrimination against Catholics in the 60s when he came out with the line "we were treated like the n!ggers in South Africa". I think it was Adam Bolton in the studio. I'll never forget the look on his face as he quickly moved on to the next caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I was watching Sky News when they were reporting on the first IRA ceasefire in 1994. They were taking calls from members of the public in the North I think talking about their experiences of the troubles. One old guy from Belfast came on talking about discrimination against Catholics in the 60s when he came out with the line "we were treated like the n!ggers in South Africa". I think it was Adam Bolton in the studio. I'll never forget the look on his face as he quickly moved on to the next caller.
    Who was the Irish politician, female I think, who thanked some people in a speech by saying 'they have been working like blacks'?
    It was quite recent too.

Mary O Rourke, she's disappeared actually, she used to be on every second rte show for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Who was the Irish politician, female I think, who thanked some people in a speech by saying 'they have been working like blacks'?
    It was quite recent too.

Thargor wrote: »
    Mary O Rourke, she's disappeared actually, she used to be on every second rte show for ages.

Well retired now on a huge pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

At about 1 minute in, Geoff Hurst says the N word

The fact that it is used here in a well known idiom would make it slightly less offensive but still. However I don't recall any fuss made about this at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 paleoperson2

Honestly youtube and "the old vt" have spoiled us a bit for clips, there are so many treasures we can all see now:

I recommend the News Be Funny youtube channel - I'm sometimes embarrassed at how funny I find it.

youtube.com/user/NewsBeFunny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Right now in Washington DC will go up there as one of the maddest things ever seen on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Right now in Washington DC will go up there as one of the maddest things ever seen on TV.

Popcorn moment

A badly executed coup in the Spanish Parliament. What s time to be trying to learn Spanish!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

History in the making now live on tv as Trump supporters take the Capital Building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

History in the making now live on tv as Trump supporters take the Capital Building.

Yup definitely one of the craziest things I've seen in a very long time on live TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I was twelve I think, watching the great Tommy Cooper at a live Royal variety show. Few mins into sketch, he drops to floor, curtain comes down while you see someone drag him back. He had a massive heart attack. What a way to go though. The crowd thought it was part of the act

It wasnt live but the nation was absolutely riveted:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I remember this live call on Late Late Show, turns out he was a spoofer using the mans name, they had to apologise the next week to the man named...

Advertisement