Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New tv for series x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

theteal wrote: »

Apparently a storm in a teacup. Just a clerical web site error. All planned updates still coming. Colour me suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

joe123 wrote: »
    Also secondly, minor issue but anyone with a Series X, have you noticed that when connected it just gets called HDMI1,2,3,4? Compared to when I have my Xbox One connected, it actually gets recognised as "Xbox One".

You can edit the labels on the inputs on webos tv. A few years old but seems to still work on my year old tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Try deleting/resetting your hdmi input on the TV after disconnecting the Xbox, then turn everything off/on. Connect Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

I see LG are bringing out cheaper OLEDs but with no HDMI 2.1 features like VRR or 120 FPS. So, great for TV/movies and 60FPS gaming but not ideal if you are spending that kind of money. I'd say they'll be a few hundred cheaper if even than current OLEDs.

https://www.engadget.com/lg-a1-series-oled-tv-affordable-ces-2021-154633444.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see LG are bringing out cheaper OLEDs but with no HDMI 2.1 features like VRR or 120 FPS. So, great for TV/movies and 60FPS gaming but not ideal if you are spending that kind of money. I'd say they'll be a few hundred cheaper if even than current OLEDs.

https://www.engadget.com/lg-a1-series-oled-tv-affordable-ces-2021-154633444.html

Replacing the B-series from what I can see? Which is irritating, as the BX had most of the gaming features of the CX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Replacing the B-series from what I can see? Which is irritating, as the BX had most of the gaming features of the CX.

Yeah and it'll probably be the same price as the B series but missing those features

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

xtal191 wrote: »
    Yeah and it'll probably be the same price as the B series but missing those features

It has to be less especially when low on features.

I know it's early days but seeing as how the consoles are bodging 4k120 (i.e. reduced textures, effects) I'm really starting to think all this HDMI 2.1 craic is a damp squib for this generation. It's niggling at me now that I should have went with initial instincts and got the smaller XH95 for the better performance over the "55 XH90 with the 2.1 "bells and whistles"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

It has to be less especially when low on features.

But its replacing the B series so I def think it'll be very similarly priced to the current B series while the 2021 C series will jump a few 100 over the current C series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Slightly off topic, bought the sony xh90 a while back and loving it so far, any recommendations on a sound bar, don't need anything top of the range was looking at something like this, any help or advice would be appreciated

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/audio/soundbars/sony-ht-x8500-2.1ch-single-soundbar.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hococop wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, bought the sony xh90 a while back and loving it so far, any recommendations on a sound bar, don't need anything top of the range was looking at something like this, any help or advice would be appreciated

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/audio/soundbars/sony-ht-x8500-2.1ch-single-soundbar.html

I'd recommend talking to the Richersounds guys, they're usually very good, can sometimes do special boards deals, and are an all around good company (staff owned, pay a good wage, etc.)

They're also on boards, so you can ask for their advice directly.

Not endorsing them on behalf of boards or anything, talk to anyone, and they'll usually have a good word about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd recommend talking to the Richersounds guys, they're usually very good, can sometimes do special boards deals, and are an all around good company (staff owned, pay a good wage, etc.)

They're also on boards, so you can ask for their advice directly.

Not endorsing them on behalf of boards or anything, talk to anyone, and they'll usually have a good word about them.

Another shout out to Richersounds. They have closed their southern store now and only operate out of Belfast but I've bought 2 TVs off them in the past few months and delivery is within 3-4 days.

Boils down to OLED or QLED. I personally play the same 3 games all the time and I have young kids who would be pausing TV channels etc so as much as i would love and CX OLED I am opting for a Samsung QLED Q80T or Q90T in 65 inche in the next 2 months to replace my gaming TV. I would be to worried about burn in with the game HUDS and the pausing of channels with the OLED.

I am moving up from a 55 inche LG 4K Quantom Dot which does everything except 120 FPS. I am hitting 60FPS in 4K at the moment so will likely just sell the TV on as its only 1.5 years old. I just fancy a 65 inche for my gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Does anyone know which hdmi ports are 2.1 on the xh90 ? Is it 3/4 or are all of them updated. Also am I right in saying the arc port is mainly for speakers etc thanks

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Does anyone know which hdmi ports are 2.1 on the xh90 ? Is it 3/4 or are all of them updated. Also am I right in saying the arc port is mainly for speakers etc thanks

From memory, it's 3 and 4 (I've not got a new xbox yet to connect so haven't actually looked). 2.1 features need to be activated in the settings too. The eARC port, which I think is 3, that's the one that could connect to an amp or soundbar. You could then connect additional devices (consoles, ATV etc etc) to the TV and have the audio passed to the amp/soundbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

ZiabR wrote: »
    Another shout out to Richersounds. They have closed their southern store now and only operate out of Belfast but I've bought 2 TVs off them in the past few months and delivery is within 3-4 days.

Boils down to OLED or QLED. I personally play the same 3 games all the time and I have young kids who would be pausing TV channels etc so as much as i would love and CX OLED I am opting for a Samsung QLED Q80T or Q90T in 65 inche in the next 2 months to replace my gaming TV. I would be to worried about burn in with the game HUDS and the pausing of channels with the OLED.

I am moving up from a 55 inche LG 4K Quantom Dot which does everything except 120 FPS. I am hitting 60FPS in 4K at the moment so will likely just sell the TV on as its only 1.5 years old. I just fancy a 65 inche for my gaming.

If you go back to page 1 of this thread you'll see that you'd really need to be sitting with bright HUD elements in the exact same spot for as long as 9000 hours to see any appreciable burn in. I've had a B7 since mid 2018 and while its usage is the definition of mixed I've never once been worried about burn in on it. Think of your phone screen, that's likely OLED and you've probably not seen any damage there even though things like your battery meter are persistent.

From memory, it's 3 and 4 (I've not got a new xbox yet to connect so haven't actually looked). 2.1 features need to be activated in the settings too. The eARC port, which I think is 3, that's the one that could connect to an amp or soundbar. You could then connect additional devices (consoles, ATV etc etc) to the TV and have the audio passed to the amp/soundbar.

Cheers ya I’ve the Xbox plugged into 4 , which settings need to be changed ? I had to change a few setting alright to be able to use 4k on 120hz but can’t see any settings for 2.1

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Cheers ya I’ve the Xbox plugged into 4 , which settings need to be changed ? I had to change a few setting alright to be able to use 4k on 120hz but can’t see any settings for 2.1

It's the HDMI Signal Format setting. It's probably what you've already enabled. From 1:44 of the below.

It's the HDMI Signal Format setting. It's probably what you've already enabled. From 1:44 of the below.

Ya I’ve that done, sound for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

Any recommendations for TVs in the €700 range?

mossie wrote: »

I think you'll be looking at LG LCDs for a HDMI 2.1 telly around that price. I've no clue of models and I can't say they'd normally be top of my recommendations list.

There are a few good options at €1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I got this in January for €650. Really happy with it so far.

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/lg-49nano866-49-inch-ultra-hd-4k-nano-cell-hdr-smart-tv/1600470692.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

joe123 wrote: »
    So my CX arrived and already love it.

Find myself now looking into all the settings and watching videos on best settings etc. I find so far, the recommended settings from some online are just too yellow.

Anyone here following settings online? Any recommendations to try out?

Also secondly, minor issue but anyone with a Series X, have you noticed that when connected it just gets called HDMI1,2,3,4? Compared to when I have my Xbox One connected, it actually gets recognised as "Xbox One".

Have a LG CX 55 myself and spent way too long trying to find the best settings. Finally I found these which I'm happy with:
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/lg-2017-2020-oleds-suggested-settings-for-xbox-one-series-x-s-ps4-ps5-and-webos-sdr-hdr-dv.73304/

Took about an hour to do it and recheck everything and have barely touched it since. That's what I wanted - I did not want to be changing settings for different sources, formats etc. Some say it doesn't matter, just go with whatever looks good to you but I think you need to know you at least have a decent base set before you tweak for personal preferences.

I leave mine on game mode all the time for playing from external devices (xbox, streamer). If playing SDR, I just make sure the picture mode is ISF EXPERT (DARK ROOM). Maybe backlight up or down depending on room brightness but that's it.

I've been actually looking at that myself. Seems to be a very good TV

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It is a good Tv. I have one at least 5 months now. Bought it a month or so before black Friday which in hind sight I should have waited a while longer for black Friday.

It is a good Tv. I have one at least 5 months now. Bought it a month or so before black Friday which in hind sight I should have waited a while longer for black Friday.

I'll have a look around later. Seems to be around €750 in most places at the moment but it's a better bet than cheaper sets I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I've been on the lookout recently at that one caught my eye as the cheapest TV with HDMI 2.1 but it didn't get great reviews. Tt uses an IPS screen with poor contrast levels. LG's OLEDs are class leading but their LEDs are a good bit behind Sony and Samsung from what I've read. Haven't seen them in person though.

I had only wanted to spend max 700 but it's very difficult to find anything in this range with HDMI 2.1 without massive compromises. Back to the drawing board!

I've been on the lookout recently at that one caught my eye as the cheapest TV with HDMI 2.1 but it didn't get great reviews. Tt uses an IPS screen with poor contrast levels. LG's OLEDs are class leading but their LEDs are a good bit behind Sony and Samsung from what I've read. Haven't seen them in person though.

I had only wanted to spend max 700 but it's very difficult to find anything in this range with HDMI 2.1 without massive compromises. Back to the drawing board!

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off for a while and try to go for oled down the road.

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off for a while and try to go for oled down the road.

I've blown my budget out of the water and gone for an LG 55CX, tips welcome from any CX owners out there:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

I've blown my budget out of the water and gone for an LG 55CX, tips welcome from any CX owners out there:-)

B9 owner. First tip is to unpack and set it up carefully. Second tip, remain calm while your eyeballs get blown away. Beautiful, gorgeous picture and the thing is so thin. Magic! Try RDR2 or Ori will of the wisps on it. Third tip, don't let anyone else near it. :) My big problem is that it's in the family room and I can't play what I want to play with the kids around. Thinking of putting the old 2008 Samsung back and moving this up to the attic room. I did get a 20 quid cover on Amazon to keep the dust, cats and kids off. :)

More tips: have some proper 4K HDR content ready on eg YouTube to show it to the non believers.

• Advertisement

YoshiSays wrote: »
    B9 owner. First tip is to unpack and set it up carefully. Second tip, remain calm while your eyeballs get blown away. Beautiful, gorgeous picture and the thing is so thin. Magic! Try RDR2 or Ori will of the wisps on it. Third tip, don't let anyone else near it. :) My big problem is that it's in the family room and I can't play what I want to play with the kids around. Thinking of putting the old 2008 Samsung back and moving this up to the attic room. I did get a 20 quid cover on Amazon to keep the dust, cats and kids off. :)

More tips: have some proper 4K HDR content ready on eg YouTube to show it to the non believers.

Thanks. I've been watching unboxing and setup videos to see what's ahead. It looks fantastic, can't wait to actually get to use it.

Advertisement