Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL 2020 Season Playoffs - Wildcard Weekend

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense.

Tomlin hasn't had a losing season in his 14 year time there, with 9 of those years having double digit wins.

The success Belichick had has completely warped what some fans believe success looks like in the NFL (unfortunately for the Steelers they had to share a conference with them or they would have had even more).

Forget talking about 'patience', most owners would give a coach a job for life on the spot if during their interview they could promise that kind of consistent success over a 14 year span.

I agree with this.

It's the same as Harbaugh at the Ravens - I can never understand why some people criticise him.

13 seasons, 9 playoff appearances, a Super Bowl, 8 years of double digit wins, and only 1 losing season.

With the amount of roster turnover in the NFL, I don't think some people fully grasp just how difficult it is to have the level of consistency that Tomlin and a select few others have achieved. The fact that we are talking about two coaches who are in the same division makes them even more impressive.

List of teams with current consecutive streaks of appearing in the playoffs:

1) Chiefs - 6 years
    2) Saints - 4 years

The rest are on 3 or less. That's how tough it is.

On the opposite end, the following teams have failed to win a playoff game in:

Bengals - 30 years
    Lions - 29 years
    Dolphins - 20 years
    Raiders - 18 years
    Washington - 15 years
    Jets - 10 years
    Bears - 10 years
    Giants - 9 years

The Patriots are a ridiculous outlier, the likes of which we may never see again in our lifetimes, and have skewed reality in terms of achievement/underachievement.

Off topic - how has it been 9 years already since the Giants have won a playoff game? Feels like only a few years ago they won that Super Bowl. The years are racing by! :eek:

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense.

Tomlin hasn't had a losing season in his 14 year time there, with 9 of those years having double digit wins.

The success Belichick had has completely warped what some fans believe success looks like in the NFL (unfortunately for the Steelers they had to share a conference with them or they would have had even more).

Forget talking about 'patience', most owners would give a coach a job for life on the spot if during their interview they could promise that kind of consistent success over a 14 year span.

Belichick has warped **** all.

Tomlin has made an absolute balls of having some of the greatest players of the past twenty years together in the same team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

Tomlin has made an absolute balls of having some of the greatest players of the past twenty years together in the same team.

Can you back this up. Tomlin is a great coach. Everyone talks about the big three who were very unlucky to come up against a great patriots team. He had brown and bell playing lights out week in week out who are hard work by the looks of things and what have bell and brown done since they left, f**k all. That's high level coaching if u ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

cosatron wrote: »
    Can you back this up. Tomlin is a great coach. Everyone talks about the big three who were very unlucky to come up against a great patriots team. He had brown and bell playing lights out week in week out who are hard work by the looks of things and what have bell and brown done since they left, f**k all. That's high level coaching if u ask me
    He won his SB on the coattails of Bill Cowher's team, and hasnt done anything of note since.

ELM327 wrote: »
    He won his SB on the coattails of Bill Cowher's team, and hasnt done anything of note since.

his being to the superbowl in 2014 and also being to the playoffs 6 out the following 10 years from a notoriously tough division. It look like on this forum that if you don't win superbowls every year your a bad coach.

• Advertisement

No, it looks like if you have a superbowl caliber team that you inherited and you dont win multiple ones with it, you are a bad coach.
    And I'm not even saying he's a bad coach - because he's not! He's just mediocre, middle of the road, won with Cowher's team and can't win on his own. That team with Bell, Brown, Ben should have won the SB - like the 07 NE team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Next we'll be hearing about what a terrible coach Sean Payton is....:rolleyes:

adrian522 wrote: »
    Next we'll be hearing about what a terrible coach Sean Payton is....:rolleyes:
    If you need someone to pad the stats in the regular season, cost you a first round draft pick and win one SB with Brees, one of the best to play the game statistically anyway.

Agree

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wow.

BrentMused wrote: »
    I agree with this.

It's the same as Harbaugh at the Ravens - I can never understand why some people criticise him.

13 seasons, 9 playoff appearances, a Super Bowl, 8 years of double digit wins, and only 1 losing season.

With the amount of roster turnover in the NFL, I don't think some people fully grasp just how difficult it is to have the level of consistency that Tomlin and a select few others have achieved. The fact that we are talking about two coaches who are in the same division makes them even more impressive.

List of teams with current consecutive streaks of appearing in the playoffs:

1) Chiefs - 6 years
    2) Saints - 4 years

The rest are on 3 or less. That's how tough it is.

On the opposite end, the following teams have failed to win a playoff game in:

Bengals - 30 years
    Lions - 29 years
    Dolphins - 20 years
    Raiders - 18 years
    Washington - 15 years
    Jets - 10 years
    Bears - 10 years
    Giants - 9 years

The Patriots are a ridiculous outlier, the likes of which we may never see again in our lifetimes, and have skewed reality in terms of achievement/underachievement.

Off topic - how has it been 9 years already since the Giants have won a playoff game? Feels like only a few years ago they won that Super Bowl. The years are racing by! :eek:

Harbaugh is a consistent good coach but the same argument applies, should have won more SBs with that defense.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Wow.

his in good form today.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

No, it looks like if you have a superbowl caliber team that you inherited and you dont win multiple ones with it, you are a bad coach.
    And I'm not even saying he's a bad coach - because he's not! He's just mediocre, middle of the road, won with Cowher's team and can't win on his own. That team with Bell, Brown, Ben should have won the SB - like the 07 NE team.

Since the salary cap was instituted in the NFL only 3 head coaches have won more than 1 Super Bowl - Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick. they have been plenty of squads with super bowl calibre talent that couldn't even make the playoffs and many teams have got to a Superbowl and dont look like ever getting back (my raiders are high on that list!).

I don't put Mike Tomlin on a pedestal but as a head coach given his record I think he is in the upper tier of Coaches in the league since he got the job. He has consistently put his team in a position to challenge for the conference title.

I can see Steeler fans frustrated at some of the losses they have suffered in the playoffs (the Jjacksonville one especially) but I would have a coach like that in a heart beat over the revolving door most NFL teams pursue to try and get success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

To be fair to Tomlin every time they got to the postseason during those years one or both of Bell / Brown were injured. 2015/16 playoffs they had to go to Denver without either of them and lost narrowly, 16/17 Bell was having a historic playoff run but went down with an injury in the Divisional round in garbage time, he played a few minutes of the AAFCCG before limping off. Excuses excuses, next man up etc but when your team and identity is built around a few stars on offence you need them healthy and rolling in the playoffs. Take Hill and Kelce out of the Chiefs lineup today and I’d bet you any money they’d struggle to cope.

Tomlin has his faults but he is one of the best coaches around imo. Certainly top 5-10 at worst. I think they are old at some key positions now and don’t have a championship roster any more so I wouldnt be overly hard on him about the collapse this year. Once the injuries started piling up on defence I think it killed team morale and they just looked like a jaded team that knew the game was up down the stretch. Big rebuild needed now. Don’t know if Tomlin will be up for that or not.

To be fair to Tomlin every time they got to the postseason during those years one or both of Bell / Brown were injured. 2015/16 playoffs they had to go to Denver without either of them and lost narrowly, 16/17 Bell was having a historic playoff run but went down with an injury in the Divisional round in garbage time, he played a few minutes of the AAFCCG before limping off. Excuses excuses, next man up etc but when your team and identity is built around a few stars on offence you need them healthy and rolling in the playoffs. Take Hill and Kelce out of the Chiefs lineup today and I’d bet you any money they’d struggle to cope.

Tomlin has his faults but he is one of the best coaches around imo. Certainly top 5-10 at worst. I think they are old at some key positions now and don’t have a championship roster any more so I wouldnt be overly hard on him about the collapse this year. Once the injuries started piling up on defence I think it killed team morale and they just looked like a jaded team that knew the game was up down the stretch. Big rebuild needed now. Don’t know if Tomlin will be up for that or not.
    ryan shazier getting injured aswell had a huge effect on the team so late in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Harbaugh is a consistent good coach but the same argument applies, should have won more SBs with that defense.

Harbaugh,.Tomlin and Payton should have won more superbowls. And McCarthy when with the packers too. The only problem I see is that there is only one superbowl per year for this to happen!!!
    The Patriots is most definitely an outlier. 20 years of dominance in the AFC. 9 superbowl appearances. It also wasn't Tomlin that threw four interceptions or snapped the ball over big Ben's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

165-91 (0.645) coming in

That drive from buffalo was just something. Ridiculous.

Picks for the week:

Colts @ Bills by 4
    Rams @ Seahawks by 4
    Buccaneers by 8 @ Football Team
    Ravens by 5 @ Titans
    Bears @ Saints by 6
    Browns @ Steelers by 3

4-2 (0.667) on the week leaves me at 169-93 (0.645) on the season

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Lionbacker wrote: »
    170-86 for the regular season.

Colts @ Bills
    Rams @ Seahawks
    Buccaneers @ Washington
    Ravens @ Titans
    Bears @ Saints
    Browns @ Steelers

4-2 which leaves me at 174-88 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Saturday

Colts @ Bills
    Rams @ Seahawks
    Buccaneers @ Washington

Sunday

Ravens @ Titans
    Bears @ Saints
    Browns @ Steelers

5-1 for the weekend - really thought the seahawks would win even without the home crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Paleface wrote: »
    173 - 83 for the season.

Colts @ Bills
    Rams @ Seahawks
    Buccaneers @ Washington
    Ravens @ Titans
    Bears @ Saints
    Browns @ Steelers

4 - 2 which brings me to 177 - 85 for the season.

@ Realt Dearg Sec I think this means I won our tie breaker or did you want to keep going?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Paleface wrote: »
    4 - 2 which brings me to 177 - 85 for the season.

@ Realt Dearg Sec I think this means I won our tie breaker or did you want to keep going?

It does mean you won, yeah, though we can keep going. But you'll know and I'll know...

Not too worry though I'm sure the second prize is still pretty substantial. Mods can contact me and I'll let them know where to send the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

TheDoctor wrote: »
    166-90 for the regular season

Colts @ Bills
    Rams @ Seahawks
    Buccaneers @ Washington
    Ravens @ Titans
    Bears @ Saints
    Browns @ Steelers

3-3 for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

173-83

Colts @ Bills
    Rams @ Seahawks
    Buccaneers @ Washington
    Ravens @ Titans
    Bears @ Saints
    Browns @ Steelers

3-3 playoffs
    176-86 overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

It does mean you won, yeah, though we can keep going. But you'll know and I'll know...

Not too worry though I'm sure the second prize is still pretty substantial. Mods can contact me and I'll let them know where to send the money.

You played a good game and I look forward to doing it all again next year. Enjoy the winnings! :pac:

We keep going also....

Advertisement