Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

aloyisious wrote: »

I don't know how much of a link DB has with the German state but the U.S insurrection bid must have brought back memories to Germans of their past history of putsches. The Govt may have guided the DB announcement seeing it as a chance of a good start to the year as well for the relationship with official Washington after the Trump era, tie up loose ends.

Even if there isn't any actual link anymore between the government and the bank, the government wouldn't be too keen on a business bearing the name Deutsch being involved in years worth of legal proceedings against a former US president, no matter how "disgraced former US president" they are. Would think the government would be wanting DB to change their name or dump the debt just so things don't get spun as if it were the state taking the cases against Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Like I've said before, Trump's the poor man's idea of a rich man. Ye Gods. That's horrendous decor really; if you didn't know any better you'd assume it was the interior of some tinpot dictator's "Presidential Palace"

It appears in the 1997 film The Devil's Advocate. I watched it recently, saw the apartment, did a bit of googling and suddenly it all made sense

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Like I've said before, Trump's the poor man's idea of a rich man. Ye Gods. That's horrendous decor really; if you didn't know any better you'd assume it was the interior of some tinpot dictator's "Presidential Palace"

Yet we had a poster here (forgot which one) who claimed Trump retiring and living in his golden palace with his trophy wife is the life we should all aspire to and we were just jealous of him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

duploelabs wrote: »
    That's because trump thinks this is good interior design

u3akp89idte51.jpg

Seems to have forgotten his roots. His mother was born and raised as one of ten children in a bothán.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yet we had a poster here (forgot which one) who claimed Trump retiring and living in his golden palace with his trophy wife is the life we should all aspire to and we were just jealous of him :pac:

Lordy. I've only just noticed the painting on the ceiling. Any art experts here who recognise the work, or is it an "original"? The room that taste forgot. I appreciate this entire segue is slightly off-topic but sometimes it's worth remembering what a vulgar, uncultured man Trump is.

• Advertisement

Lordy. I've only just noticed the painting on the ceiling. Any art experts here who recognise the work, or is it an "original"? The room that taste forgot. I appreciate this entire segue is slightly off-topic but sometimes it's worth remembering what a vulgar, uncultured man Trump is.

The guy eats his steak well done with ketchup, that's all i need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

briany wrote: »
    Pretty high stakes gambit from Trump to become president in order to duck some charges and some debts. Why not just feck off to Dubai?

Firstly, I don't think the initial plan was actually to become POTUS. It was a PR exercise. He needed to boost his brand since his TV career had waned and this seemed like a good way to do it. Lots of free airtime. I don't think he thought he would get through the primaries.

Then, he saw the potential that an actual campaign could deliver. I still don't think he thought he had a change, and IMO when things like the Pussy Tape appeared he probably wished he hadn't. But he fought back and with such a poor candidate of HC he managed to win.

I do think he really enjoyed that campaign. He had nothing to lose. His Trump name, ie brand, was everywhere. He was nearly 24hr on every news station. He was the main man for the GOP, finally being given the respect and accorded the prominence he always felt was his right.

After the shock and bemusement of winning, he soon realised the gold mine he had won. He had the entire country under him. He had all these amazing powers. He didn't just have people that worked for him, he had people that wanted to work for him and would do anything he said.

He had the military to play with, anything was possible. Think of the real estate deals he could make.

But slowly he dawned on him the true extent of the job. The actual decisions. The fact he couldn't possibly, not him but POTUS position, ever make everyone happy. And there were plenty of people out to get him just because. And he didn't get to choose when he wanted to be in the limelight. It was everyday, everywhere. And people were forever asking him questions, and saying he could o this or that.

My guess is he thought that as POTUS he could do anything. There was literally nothing he couldn't do. But suddenly the SCOTUS, the House, the media, hell even the Senate were telling him he couldn't do this, he couldn't say that.

This wasn't fun anymore. So rather than tryo to adapt t the job, he said feck it all, I'm just going to do what I want. If I can't win, then don't even bother. Get what you can out of this.

But greed and hubris got the better of him. Instead of accepting the prize he had won in 2016, taken the spoils and gone back to the life he actually wanted, he wanted to win for no other reason than winning became the end in itself.

2020 was never about MAGA, or policies, or the future. It was simply about not losing. And now he has ended up with nothing. He has lost all that respect he though he had gained. Nobody seems to want to stick with him. Poeple openly mock him.

So it was never about avoiding charges, it started off as a shot to nothing, at worst people would want to visit his hotel, maybe he could charge more at his gold courses. And that would protect him for lawsuits, because money protects you from everything

Trump hates to travel, he said even the White House was a dump when he had to move there.

Ah he doesn't mind traveling to Scotland but they've told him to go and sh1te for the foreseeable.

Never been to the Whitehouse but I reckon it's a bit more classy than trumps places.

Edit: just seen the photos above, I was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It looks like the set of Showgirls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Leroy42 wrote: »
    2020 was never about MAGA, or policies, or the future. It was simply about not losing. And now he has ended up with nothing. He has lost all that respect he though he had gained. Nobody seems to want to stick with him. Poeple openly mock him.

To reinforce this point, he didn't even have an actual policy platform for his 2nd run. Normally they present that at the R.N.C. This year they didn't bother. When asked about what he wanted for a second term he couldn't say anything beyond meaningless platitudes like "Keep America Great".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I see he’s going to Alamo, Texas and not the famous Alamo but maybe there’s an Alamo landscaping company there. I mean it’s happened before. I doubt where he’s going is be accident. He sees himself as victim in this whole mess of his own creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If nothing else the comments from Gabriel Stirling from Georgia last week about the use of the edited Video to try to allege fraud when they had the full video available to them surely opens him up to perjury or something of that nature?

Peculiar as it sound's, trying to use an edited video to back up allegations of voter fraud might be voter fraud in itself, as it was an attempt to alter the result by false pretences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

There's a brilliant hour-long video on YouTube called 'A Portrait of Donald Trump' by Vic Berger and Vice News which perfectly captures the mental fever dream that was his presidency. The 5 minutes of him saying 'billions and billions and billions' over different clips is incredible.

There will be at least four times the number of national guard in Afghanistan in Washington DC for the inauguration on January 20th. That’s mad to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

To reinforce this point, he didn't even have an actual policy platform for his 2nd run. Normally they present that at the R.N.C. This year they didn't bother. When asked about what he wanted for a second term he couldn't say anything beyond meaningless platitudes like "Keep America Great".

Actually on this point. Does the Republican party not have a policy now? Isn't their policy for the next 4 years just whatever their great and glorious leader says if I recall correctly?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So I see he’s going to Alamo, Texas and not the famous Alamo but maybe there’s an Alamo landscaping company there. I mean it’s happened before. I doubt where he’s going is be accident. He sees himself as victim in this whole mess of his own creation.

Alamo, Texas is the Alamo where the Battle of the Alamo occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems to have forgotten his roots. His mother was born and raised as one of ten children in a bothán.

Having listened to multiple books it appears his mother shunned that particular heritage . Disavowing her own past and looking down on others especially new comers from Scotland to the US.

He didn't pick his attitude up all by himself , it was learned from both the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Is it not in San Antonio?

Alamo Texas is named for the place where it took place but the building isn’t in Alamo Texas.

The Alamo fort is at San Antonio, Texas. Alamo town where he's today is a separate place on the border where the "wall" is being repaired.

• Advertisement

No, The Alamo is in the centre of San Antonio. Alamo, Texas is about 4 hours drive away

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

I thought Alamo was a town on the border with Mexico and the battle site was a mission in San Antonio which was about 200 miles away. I could be wrong though. My knowledge of Texas is pretty much limited to Houston and that right angle in the top left.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well, tbf, he did say that he was now used to sleeping in Washington DC, so you know, there was that!

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Ah he doesn't mind traveling to Scotland but they've told him to go and sh1te for the foreseeable.

Never been to the Whitehouse but I reckon it's a bit more classy than trumps places.

Edit: just seen the photos above, I was right.

Seems they'll let him in if he brings his tax records to them for a looksee. I'd imagine they want to compare them to any properties he's linked with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Trump today insinuating that there will be violence if they try and get rid of him. He really hasn't learned a thing.

Hearing him today I was struck by how pleasant it was not hearing him for the better part of a week. Looking forward to this becoming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

transylman wrote: »
    Trump today insinuating that there will be violence if they try and get rid of him. He really hasn't learned a thing.

Hearing him today I was struck by how pleasant it was not hearing him for the better part of a week. Looking forward to this becoming months.

He is so utterly desperate. As if that threat will make any difference. They can't let him off because his red neck supporters are threatening violence. Jesus.

I’ve tried to limit watching or listening to Donald trump talk for most of this year because what he says is just verbal mush. I do see that he believes his statement about the riots was perfect and it’s been analysed so it’s good. He somehow brought the protests in the summer which are the real problem not the ****show last Wednesday.

I also see that Jonathan Karl of abc news is reporting that trump is of the opinion that if he can’t pardon himself then nobody gets a pardon. So those waiting for a pardon including his adult children wouldn’t want to hold their breath. He’s such a child it’s amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I don't see why Republicans wouldn't move to impeach Trump along with the Dems.
    It's an opportunity to put Trump to pasture permanently and quickly get some closure on Trumpism so they can reclaim some of those conservative 'principles' they used to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

BluePlanet wrote: »
    I don't see why Republicans wouldn't move to impeach Trump along with the Dems.
    It's an opportunity to put Trump to pasture permanently and quickly get some closure on Trumpism so they can reclaim some of those conservative 'principles' they used to talk about.

There going down a rabbit hole with over 20 years, it's not just Trump. Very hard to turn back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Really if the tables were turned here, and it was the Trumpers looking at taking the reins of the party, they would have no scruples in putting the dagger in the back of one of their own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement