Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New tv for series x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

theteal wrote: »
    BX has the older processor, youd need to find a review or two so see what that means in real world features.

The Nanos are mid range LCDs, not as good as Sony and Samsungs that they're supposed to compete (nowhere near the OLEDs) with and the price reflects this.

Whats your pick of the Sony's around 1000 ish. They seemed better than the LG/Sammys at that price. 55"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

beauf wrote: »
    Whats your pick of the Sony's around 1000 ish. They seemed better than the LG/Sammys at that price. 55"

It has to be FALD minimum and I went for the XH90 which is getting HDMI 2.1 updates (although not without hiccups) for gaming on the new consoles. I paid £900 for the 55" - not sure of Irish prices. XH95 is a better TV (brighter, better processor etc) but does not have 2.1 gaming features, you might get that in 49" for similar money.

Higher end Samsungs aren't bad truth be told, I'm just not a fan of their marketing over substance approach. The Sonys have better motion control and the colours are more natural.

LG don't really care about LCD, they're all in on OLED. Across the board they're not as good as Sony, Samsung equivalents but they do undercut them on price by a chunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Has anyone any opinion / advice regarding these two:

Samsung Q80T @ €1,049
    Samsung Q95T @ €1,499

Both are 55" models. I know the Q95T is their flagship model, and comes with the One Connect box. I haven't found much by way of direct comparison between the 2 online; the only article I managed to find suggests the 95 is a bit better than the 80, so I'm not sure how much value I'd be getting for that extra €450 (almost 50% more expensive!)

Perhaps some of you guys have direct experience with one / both of these?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Samsung Q80T @ €1,049
    Samsung Q95T @ €1,499

Both are 55" models. I know the Q95T is their flagship model, and comes with the One Connect box. I haven't found much by way of direct comparison between the 2 online; the only article I managed to find suggests the 95 is a bit better than the 80, so I'm not sure how much value I'd be getting for that extra €450 (almost 50% more expensive!)

Thanks.

This is just a guess and didn't look either up but at a wild guess I'd say the more expensive one has local diming and is true 10 bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Forget what I posted just looked up the specs and the cheaper one has local dimming.

Seems like a great Tv for the price(the cheaper one). It seems to have all the features of the dearer one but supposedly lacks at wide angle viewing but you are saving nearly €500 so cheaper one is what I would go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Sorry about constantly asking questions but just wondering with the screen burn is it an issue over time or if I leave something paused for a long time? For the bx or cx

Samsung Q80T @ €1,049
    Samsung Q95T @ €1,499

Thanks.

Number of dimming zones (Q8 is quite low in number iirc) and the one connect box would be the main differences off the top of my head. No clue about 2.1 features etc.

Hococop wrote: »
    Sorry about constantly asking questions but just wondering with the screen burn is it an issue over time or if I leave something paused for a long time? For the bx or cx

Cumulative over time. An image for 10 mins five days a week is as bad as a single 50 minute pause. There is more to it though - certain colours are worse than others eg. Rdd and yellow. I also think theres an element of panel lottery to it as well.

I've said it before that I dont think it's a big issue in Ireland as the consumer legislation is very good and the SCC procedure is so simple. Any burn inside an unreasonably short period would easily win a "not reasonably durable" claim - a bit more difficult over here in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭captainneutron

I wouldn't worry too much about image burn in, I am with oled for well over a year and a half now and no signs of it whatsoever. Use it for gaming, netflix and sky etc.... Once the content that is being watched is varied I wouldn't worry about it.

There are built in features to prevent this issue from arising ie Pixel refresh etc.

Once your not watching sky news/sports with aggressive tickers for 8 hours a day you will be fine. Oled tech has come along way in the last 2/3 years.

If you were to listen to everyone who is negative about it you'll never buy one, once you go OLED you will never again get a LCD.

Also when the TV is idle the built in screensaver kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Compare the number of actual confirmed cases of burn in (not people regurgitating other peoples stories) versus the number of LG oled tvs actually sold.

The risk is definitely there, but not nearly as bad as people are fearing.

I have the CX. Mostly games. No burn in.

• Advertisement

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Compare the number of actual confirmed cases of burn in (not people regurgitating other peoples stories) versus the number of LG oled tvs actually sold.

The risk is definitely there, but not nearly as bad as people are fearing.

I have the CX. Mostly games. No burn in.

Yeah it's something I'm overthinking more than likely, last thing I hope, alot of people mention brightness issue, I have a 6/7 year old samsung full hd tv, I'd imagine the brightness be still better in the bx?

BX - 500 NITS (Approx)
    CX - 799 NITS (Approx)

BX - 500 NITS (Approx)
    CX - 799 NITS (Approx)

Cheers, big enough difference between the two

Can't find the NITS for my current samsung ue40h5000ak, I'm guessing too old for those specs

Forget what I posted just looked up the specs and the cheaper one has local dimming.

Seems like a great Tv for the price(the cheaper one). It seems to have all the features of the dearer one but supposedly lacks at wide angle viewing but you are saving nearly €500 so cheaper one is what I would go for.

Cheers. Richer Sounds have it for €1399 now (the Q95T) or the Q90T - the same telly without the One Connect box - for €1299..... It's hard not to be seduced by the allure of "flagship" marketing :pac::pac: but I agree, the Q80T seems to be a great telly anyway. I suppose I could put some of the money I "save" by buying the less expensive one towards the new Xbox I haven't bought yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭xtal191

Cheers. Richer Sounds have it for €1399 now (the Q95T) or the Q90T - the same telly without the One Connect box - for €1299..... It's hard not to be seduced by the allure of "flagship" marketing :pac::pac: but I agree, the Q80T seems to be a great telly anyway. I suppose I could put some of the money I "save" by buying the less expensive one towards the new Xbox I haven't bought yet :rolleyes:

Just curious but why would you go for that over the CX? The OLED is better

xtal191 wrote: »
    Just curious but why would you go for that over the CX? The OLED is better

Good question..... I hadn't really considered the LG, to be honest - I bought one a few years ago and wasn't mad about the interface....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Have the LG B9 and all advanced features are supported on it from Xbox series x. Beautiful screen. Beautiful blacks. HDR (loads of variants) , 120 FPS , 4 hdmi 2.1s , instant game response ....etc etc etc got it for about 1100 in the summer.

Also the LG remote can control the Xbox ! Think MS and LG are partnering to get this whole next gen thing off the ground.

But it's in the living room so totally restricted to what can be played on it with kids, family around. So Xbox series x is running against a 1440p IPS freesync monitor in the attic room.

First world problems :):)

If anybody is getting an LG OLED then sign up to Disney+ for some spectacular 4K Dolby vision etc hdr content. Even for 1 month. 6.99.

Have the LG B9 and all advanced features are supported on it from Xbox series x. Beautiful screen. Beautiful blacks. HDR (loads of variants) , 120 FPS , 4 hdmi 2.1s , instant game response ....etc etc etc got it for about 1100 in the summer.

Also the LG remote can control the Xbox ! Think MS and LG are partnering to get this whole next gen thing off the ground.

But it's in the living room so totally restricted to what can be played on it with kids, family around. So Xbox series x is running against a 1440p IPS freesync monitor in the attic room.

First world problems :):)

If anybody is getting an LG OLED then sign up to Disney+ for some spectacular 4K Dolby vision etc hdr content. Even for 1 month. 6.99.

Theres also a month free with Gamepass in case some don't know already

Good question..... I hadn't really considered the LG, to be honest - I bought one a few years ago and wasn't mad about the interface....

If you're willing to spend that much on a TV I'd def go for the CX. I also think its worth waiting for the 2021 TVs at this stage, a lot will be announced in the coming weeks at CES. You might even get the current TVs for a little less

xtal191 wrote: »
    If you're willing to spend that much on a TV I'd def go for the CX. I also think its worth waiting for the 2021 TVs at this stage, a lot will be announced in the coming weeks at CES. You might even get the current TVs for a little less

I'd say there will be smaller OLEDs coming in to match the 48" LG ones and hopefully at a much reduced price.

• Advertisement

Hey all I ended up getting the sony xh90 and so far it's brilliant, just wondering if it's worth investing in a sound bar?

Hey all I ended up getting the sony xh90 and so far it's brilliant, just wondering if it's worth investing in a sound bar?

I'm going in the other direction, I'm going to spend a few quid on a good headset for xbox use. I recently got a JBL 9.1 for the living room TV, been very impressed tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Man its hard to pick a TV

If u can i would invest in an AV Amp and speaker.

Either in a 5.1 or 3.1.2 (Atmos) set up.

I have mine in a 3.1.2 set up and the sound is out of this world. I have the 2 atmos speakers mounted on the wall facing down.... I know ideally they need to be in the ceiling but its not ideal in my situation.

I plug my xbox into the HDMI 2.1 on the tv rather than the AV received and put on passthru, Xbox registers the Atmos and away I go, Amazing on games and netflix.

I have Pioneer AV Received with Yamaha Speakers.... and for the price of a decent soundbar

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Anyone know the best fit for a Series S? Haven't a notion about monitors...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

recyclops wrote: »
    This is now 650 in littlewoods. Nabbed it myself this morning.

So after a week or so with this and a fair few gaming and movie sessions I am highly impressed with it for the price.

biggest issue with 4k movies is the noise of the xbox itself, but dolby atmos sounds incredible.

gaming wise it looks incredible and if coupled with a decent headset with Dolby Licence ( well worth the 12 euro or whatever it is) its an actual step into next gen.

Now all we need is the games

garrkell wrote: »
    Anyone know the best fit for a Series S? Haven't a notion about monitors...

For a monitor - most 1440p monitors would do for series s since that's what it outputs. 4K might be better if you'd like to connect a 4K source now or in the future. e.g. series x or 4k netflix/disney+/...

Also with 1440p you should be able to get a monitor that supports 120 FPS or above with variable refresh rate and fast response time (i.e. a gamers monitor) for not too much money. Well at least a lot cheaper than a 4K monitor for same.

Also, for the panel type IPS > VA > TN panel type. e.g. IPS has better colour reproduction ...

I've a 1440p monitor with a series x and it's fine. Think it downsamples 4k to 1440p. Supersampling or something.

Best to google. rtings.com has good gaming monitor reviews. Or search back on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

So my CX arrived and already love it.

Find myself now looking into all the settings and watching videos on best settings etc. I find so far, the recommended settings from some online are just too yellow.

Anyone here following settings online? Any recommendations to try out?

Also secondly, minor issue but anyone with a Series X, have you noticed that when connected it just gets called HDMI1,2,3,4? Compared to when I have my Xbox One connected, it actually gets recognised as "Xbox One".

• Advertisement

I have a CX and my X is recognised as simply 'Xbox' on HDMi 1

Advertisement