Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building a house as a non-local?

Options
13»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

dawanda wrote: »
    Google tells me just under 1 hr (obviously, no traffic now) and 75 kms.

Does this seem accurate? I know google maps isn't necessarily the most reliable

That'd be accurate right now.

Won't be accurate when lockdown is over and traffic is back close to normal levels. I would guess you'd need to add at least 30 minutes onto that, depending on where in Dublin you are going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Google tells me just under 1 hr (obviously, no traffic now) and 75 kms.

Does this seem accurate? I know google maps isn't necessarily the most reliable

Yip,easily do-able within the hour....motorway(bar Kilmac,currently the whole way up)....done by thousands but off peak would be a breeze!.....1hr motorway’s more manageable than 1hr on B roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

awec wrote: »
    Castletown / Inch to Dublin would be some commute.

There are a lot who commute from Gorey and south of Gorey. Inch and Castletown would be north of Gorey! I wouldn’t be crazy for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dawanda

Marcusm wrote: »
    There are a lot who commute from Gorey and south of Gorey. Inch and Castletown would be north of Gorey! I wouldn’t be crazy for it.

Why not, if you don't mind sharing?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tom1ie wrote: »
    How do they build them in other countries?
    More relaxed guidelines in other countries or ours haven’t caught up yet?

Higher standards applied here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Marcusm wrote: »

Gorey to ballymount can be a 1.5-2 hour commute on a rainy winter morning. I can't even imagine how bad it could be if you needed to get to say Merrion square.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

uninhabitable derelict cottages cost considerably more than bare sites where I come from because the Estate Agents know that outsiders can bid on them and tear them down. A 25k site becomes a 100k site if there is a rundown cottage on it.

Be very careful about this. If the house is uninhabitable it is treated as a green field site for planning purposes. You need a run down house but it needs to be habitable (and not lost its use). I have been through this.

arctictree wrote: »
    Be very careful about this. If the house is uninhabitable it is treated as a green field site for planning purposes. You need a run down house but it needs to be habitable (and not lost its use). I have been through this.

whats the tipping point, do we just mean 'has a roof' or how far we talking here.

Why not, if you don't mind sharing?

I’m not interested in such a commute! (I find this thread especially interesting as I grew up in Carnew/Gorey) two of the places which have been recommended to you.

My advice would be to persevere in finding something with a much shorter commute. That much time alone with your dogs spending 10-12 hours per day without you is not going to solve the sunlight problem.

There will be some way to find a closer property. There are many low built areas in Dublin and nearer locations. It will take time to find the bargain you require but I promise it will be heaven compared to 3 hours a day by yourself in a car then returning to a cold house with dogs who are frustrated by your absence.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

whats the tipping point, do we just mean 'has a roof' or how far we talking here.

I think roof, waste, water and electricity.

• Advertisement

Gorey to ballymount can be a 1.5-2 hour commute on a rainy winter morning. I can't even imagine how bad it could be if you needed to get to say Merrion square.

He wants to get to Stullorgan. I’m not advocating it but I am pointing out to the person who challenged such a commute that there are many doing it. I don’t think it’s right for the OP though.

Yes, correct. Mine had a roof but no services and therefore was not classed as a habitable dwelling. Local needs then applied to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Local needs is fundamentally flawed. So many people have abused this to profit and move on.
    I believe it to be unconstitutional also. I lack the funds to challenge it, if i had the funds i doubt it would be a problem.
    it is a great injustice and a really poor method of planning.

In my opinion of course.....

Local needs is fundamentally flawed. So many people have abused this to profit and move on.
    I believe it to be unconstitutional also. I lack the funds to challenge it, if i had the funds i doubt it would be a problem.
    it is a great injustice and a really poor method of planning.

In my opinion of course.....

This has been discussed for over 20 years on the internet and the EU agreed that it was unconstitutional. Still nothing has been done about it. No politician wants to be the one that brings forward legislation to remove local needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Does you have to be in Wicklow, Open to other areas?

jaysus so basically it has to be something lived in in the last 40 years. thats a 250k barrier to entry right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Dwanda, I have an inkling how challenging a purchase might be for you as my daughter also lives & works abroad.

So for example, Wicklow town. Not countryside but a rural enough town with a lot going for it, well usually anyway!
    Restaurants, bars, library, Tesco, SuperValu, great bookshop, banks, credit union, coffee shops, train station, beach, mountains, golf etc on the doorstep. You get the idea.

On Daft, a two bed bungalow in the town with lots of potential. It’s a G Ber which may not be ideal & has single glazing & open fire heating. Not ideal. €25,000 from your top budget. But windows can be replaced & a wood burner, pellet stove etc would make a significant impact. Major plus, garden space front & rear with room for a garden room.

The point I’m making is, and it’s not my house nor does it belong to anyone I know, also I’m not an EA but it seems liveable going by the photos, it needs work but not an immediate & total renovation so it could be done over time. A lower offer might be accepted also.
    Seems to me something like it could meet your needs.

Advertisement