Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are we going for protein?

• 06-01-2021 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for places to buy protein and other bits and pieces now that brexit has happened. I generally go to MyProtein, and I find the prices great (especially when there are sales on).

Are there any good EU based alternatives so I can avoid VAT / Customs. Or would it be worth sucking up the added cost on MyProtein.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Myprotein.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭antimatterx

bladespin wrote: »
    Myprotein.ie?

They still ship from the UK. They just sell in euro.

They still ship from the UK. They just sell in euro.

Yep, so? All invoices etc, include vat local rate etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bulk powders ie should be good still shouldn't they

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

bluewolf wrote: »

Yes I would of thought so and they also have quicker delivery times than Myprotein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

THey ship from England though.
    https://help.bulk.com/hc/en-ie/articles/115001601865-What-are-my-options-for-delivery-and-how-much-will-I-be-charged-

EDIT:
    Chatted with their Bot...
    To avoid any impact on orders placed on the EU sites, we have a warehouse based in Poland to make the journey as seamless as possible.
    If you are located in Ireland we are sending our parcels from our UK warehouse with duties pre-paid to avoid any additional charges for our customers ��
    A
    If you are returning a parcel, we've made some changes to our returns address for EU orders, please check out the returns information below ��

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

MyProtein are the same, more organised than many UK businesses... ->

“All our products will ship from within the EU to EU countries, to ensure your shopping experience remains unaffected”

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

The same bulk powders that got fined for false claims about the nutritional profile and protein content in their products.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Not a Bulk Powders fan boy but the false claims seem to relate to their fringe products.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/sports-nutrition-products-company-fined-after-trading-standards-investigation-2639188

The level of protein in some of the products was found insufficient to make the health claim "protein contributes to the growth of muscle mass" or the nutrition claim "source of protein" - significant, particularly amongst the fitness community for whom these types of claims are important when buying a product.

A great site for comparing the quality of various protein brands is https://labdoor.com/

All things considered, I have found both MyProtein and BulkPowders excellent. The quality, price, and service is outstanding. I only use them for their basic protein lines and not any of the other gypsy magic products.

I was in Holland & Barrett yesterday and it pained me to watch the gentleman in front of me pay over €60 for a 2kg tub of protein. I considered giving him a friendly heads-up about Bulk/MyProtein but I figured that would have been out of order and none of my business, so I let it slide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭antimatterx

“All our products will ship from within the EU to EU countries, to ensure your shopping experience remains unaffected”

Where is thus from?

• Advertisement

Where is thus from?

It’s on their website, was reading it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

The local butcher shop

Where is thus from?

It’s on their website.

https://www.myprotein.ie/help-centre.list

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭vafankillar

protein shops are still open in town incase anyone didn't know btw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Patsy167 wrote: »
    The quality, price, and service is outstanding.

I almost rage-quit MyProtein once because I accidentally ordered unflavoured whey, and when I tried to cancel the order literally 30 seconds later they told me it was impossible, that they were going to ship it to me and the only way to cancel was to accept delivery and send it back (paying for shipping, of course).

Zillah wrote: »
    I almost rage-quit MyProtein once because I accidentally ordered unflavoured whey, and when I tried to cancel the order literally 30 seconds later they told me it was impossible, that they were going to ship it to me and the only way to cancel was to accept delivery and send it back (paying for shipping, of course).

This tends to happen with dropshippers, one branch takes the order, this goes to a shipper often different company altogether, who picks and ships the order.

That said, the majority of my protein orders are unflavoured, bought a stack of flav drop bottles so 'm never stuck with one flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bladespin wrote: »
    This tends to happen with dropshippers, one branch takes the order, this goes to a shipper often different company altogether, who picks and ships the order.

That said, the majority of my protein orders are unflavoured, bought a stack of flav drop bottles so 'm never stuck with one flavour.

#vanilla4lyfeinnit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I ordered via myprotein.ie and they shipped on 6th January. My DPD tracking link brought me to DPD UK, so I can only assume it's being shipped from their UK base...and of course it hasn't budged since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cole wrote: »
    I ordered via myprotein.ie and they shipped on 6th January. My DPD tracking link brought me to DPD UK, so I can only assume it's being shipped from their UK base...and of course it hasn't budged since then.

I’m pretty sure it was announced DPD has stopped deliveries to Ireland until at least the 12th jan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure it was announced DPD has stopped deliveries to Ireland until at least the 12th jan

Im in the same boat i live chatted myprotein yesterdey on their .com site and was assured it will be resent from a European location so we will see what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Im in the same boat i live chatted myprotein yesterdey on their .com site and was assured it will be resent from a European location so we will see what happens!

So it appears they're still shipping from the UK to Ireland, despite what their website says.

Cole wrote: »
    So it appears they're still shipping from the UK to Ireland, despite what their website says.
    Yes they are speaking out their holes it seems!
    I got the full company speal about how they are fully committed to maintaining delivery's on time to their customers yadda yadda!
    I may aswell have been speaking to a bot or maybe i was lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Mjolnir wrote: »
    The same bulk powders that got fined for false claims about the nutritional profile and protein content in their products.....

Jesus first i heard of that. Am vegan so buy all my bcca and vegan powders from them. Surely they've tightened things up since and safe enough? Wonder how much discrepancy there was between their claims and actual protein?

As has been said above, it was primarily around the protein levels in some products like their protein bars, nut butters, maca powders and the claims on the labelling about nutritional benefits and being a good source of protein for building muscle mass.

As has been said above, it was primarily around the protein levels in some products like their protein bars, nut butters, maca powders and the claims on the labelling about nutritional benefits and being a good source of protein for building muscle mass.

Did quick search and couldn't find the actual results eg was protein content 10% less than advertised ,50%? Big difference there, especially as most of my protein comes from their products. Anyway surely theyve fixed the labelling , theyd hardly risk being fined another 100k. Theyre not like a big tech company who can afford that

seefin wrote: »
    Did quick search and couldn't find the actual results eg was protein content 10% less than advertised ,50%? Big difference there, especially as most of my protein comes from their products. Anyway surely theyve fixed the labelling , theyd hardly risk being fined another 100k. Theyre not like a big tech company who can afford that

Less than enough to claim being a source of protein for some of the nut butters I believe.

I don't think it was the protein powders per se.

You need to sort out your diet if most protein is from supplements not a long term healthy diet!
    And I'm not vegan bashing must be better alternatives?

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    You need to sort out your diet if most protein is from supplements not a long term healthy diet!
    And I'm not vegan bashing must be better alternatives?

I exaggerated..Just did a count and 50% comes from shakes and bcca..The rest from tofu, beans etc.The sheer volume of food id have to eat as a vegan to get 2g per kg BW would mean id be so stuffed i wouldn't be able to lift 😂Would need to eat 700g of lentils a day.

I exaggerated..Just did a count and 50% comes from shakes and bcca..The rest from tofu, beans etc.The sheer volume of food id have to eat as a vegan to get 2g per kg BW would mean id be so stuffed i wouldn't be able to lift ��Would need to eat 700g of lentils a day.
    Vegan life aint for me anyway!:)

• Advertisement

I exaggerated..Just did a count and 50% comes from shakes and bcca..The rest from tofu, beans etc.The sheer volume of food id have to eat as a vegan to get 2g per kg BW would mean id be so stuffed i wouldn't be able to lift 😂Would need to eat 700g of lentils a day.

Clarence Kennedy did a video on his diet as a vegan...you can imagine the amount of protein he's trying to get at 100/105kg (at the time)

ETA: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fsqg6aJOI

240g protein / 3000 kcals

Advertisement