Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Glebee wrote: »
    Ive used them a lot in the past and always get great dates, ill just put it down to Christmas rush. I really do like there beans..

Thanks for the info guys - going to put an order in there next - worth a punt - Bell Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Velo coffee

10% off all coffee when you spend €20.00 or more this weekend only! Use the code 'NEWYEAR' at checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

hmmm

I was telling my mrs yesterday that I wanted more of those Indian beans

might have a gander, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Bell lane 20% off espresso blends only use Take20 code

• Registered Users Posts: 19,691 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

hmmm

I was telling my mrs yesterday that I wanted more of those Indian beans

might have a gander, thanks

Do you mean the Ratnagiri Estate? If so, and if you find any, please let it be known, as all my local Aldi had left on Tuesday was two sad bags of ground. It would be great if they got in more.

I have a dirty secret to confess, I >cough< bought a bag of the ground >cough< and am using it in the grinder along with the only packet of beans I managed to score, to eke them out. And it's very drinkable.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do you mean the Ratnagiri Estate? If so, and if you find any, please let it be known, as all my local Aldi had left on Tuesday was two sad bags of ground. It would be great if they got in more.

I have a dirty secret to confess, I >cough< bought a bag of the ground >cough< and am using it in the grinder along with the only packet of beans I managed to score, to eke them out. And it's very drinkable.

putting ground coffee in a grinder?

I also used some of the Indian beans to blend into some end of bags I had.

I think they were a once-off in the Aldi pink packaging, but they are still on the Velo website

putting ground coffee in a grinder?

I also used some of the Indian beans to blend into some end of bags I had.

I think they were a once-off in the Aldi pink packaging, but they are still on the Velo website

https://velocoffee.ie/products/copy-of-velo-tandem-1

That's Irish roaster pricing, right there: €40 per kg. No thanks.

€27.39 per kg, with €5 standard international shipping charge from here: https://www.kaffeerösterei-hochschwarzwald.de/shop?page=2

It's the Indian Pearl Mountain.

So including postage, 2 kg landed would be 25% cheaper than Velo, even with their free postage. Think I'll take a punt on 3kg from them, when my current supplies have diminished. 3% cheaper by the carton - group buy? ;)

Yes, I put ground coffee in a grinder to get it to the right fineness for espresso, as I found the pre-ground was courser than the beans alone were ending up. Does an incredible job of quietening the grinding of beans, too.

In fairness they have 1kg bag for 34.50 and free shipping over €35:
    https://velocoffee.ie/collections/kg-bags/products/copy-of-india-ratnagiri-estate-225g

In fairness they have 1kg bag for 34.50 and free shipping over €35:
    https://velocoffee.ie/collections/kg-bags/products/copy-of-india-ratnagiri-estate-225g

... and a lousy website. That's a better price, I know about the free shipping as I was factoring that in with a 2kg purchase, but it would still be €10 (15%) cheaper to order 2kg from Germany than Cork.

I don't know what it costs to ship a 68kg bag of raw beans from Germany to Cork, but the wholesale price of raw beans, If my translations and interpretation are correct, is about €2.80 a kg, not including the shipping.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We get it, you think Irish prices are a rip off. You keep saying so

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    We get it, you think Irish prices are a rip off. You keep saying so

Sorry, am I being off-topic, did I somehow mistake the the support Irish roasters thread for the coffee bargains thread? If so, I do apologise.

I genuinely have no issue offering business to Irish coffee roasters. Always quick to deal with and the quality is pretty great generally. And supporting local businesses atm is good for the country tbh.

I genuinely have no issue offering business to Irish coffee roasters. Always quick to deal with and the quality is pretty great generally. And supporting local businesses atm is good for the country tbh.

I don't have an issue with doing so either, when the prices are more reasonable. In the last few months, I have bought 1 Kg of Burundi from WCC with the discount, 500g each of Sumatran and Burundi from Ponaire (on special), 400g of Velo, 227g each of Kenyan and Sumatran from Aldi - most of the coffee currently in my freezer is from Irish sources, but the next lot wont be. Don't like it, tough.

Everyone can buy where they like, but giving Irish roasters a hard time for their pricing (and is 15% all that much really?) vs international suppliers who may have *completely* different cost bases in terms of wages, rent, rates, insurance, transport & distribution, economies of scale etc. is a meaningless comparison, and I think that's the point many of us are making.

Plus if we all bought outside Ireland, we might save the 15% on our coffee, but we'll have to pay higher taxes across the board to fund social welfare payments and/or poorer public services, due to lower employment rates and less money in the economy, so it's swings and roundabouts tbh.

Anyway, that's the end of my off topic digression! Back to the coffee bargains :-)

€27.39 per kg, with €5 standard international shipping charge from here: https://www.kaffeerösterei-hochschwarzwald.de/shop?page=2

It's the Indian Pearl Mountain.

So including postage, 2 kg landed would be 25% cheaper than Velo, even with their free postage. Think I'll take a punt on 3kg from them, when my current supplies have diminished. 3% cheaper by the carton - group buy? ;)

Yes, I put ground coffee in a grinder to get it to the right fineness for espresso, as I found the pre-ground was courser than the beans alone were ending up. Does an incredible job of quietening the grinding of beans, too.

Velo tandem 1kg is 18 euro no? Literally looking at their site...

On top of that they are nice, always giving free 200g bags with orders. Lovely business to deal with.

Also Bell Lane House blend, 24.50 with 20% off so would be 25 including shipping. Not bad Irish prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

WCC have 10% off this weekend with code 500 - 500g bags of beans also now available.

just bought this

https://moyeecoffee.ie/products/moyee-coffee-taster-pack

4 x 250g of different coffees delivered for 30 quid, worth a punt imo

also, it's Fairchain. if I like them I might go for a sub, seems to be all or mostly African coffees.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Says they roast their coffee in Kenya/Ethiopia. Wonder when coffee would have been roasted in that case?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Says they roast their coffee in Kenya/Ethiopia. Wonder when coffee would have been roasted in that case?

Yeah I'll report back on packaging details etc once I receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

I presume you only find Best Before date .

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »

Read a piece on this starting to happen. The next step for fair trade coffee is supposed to be roast on site.

For years big coffee companies have been applying 1/2 Yr expiry dates to supermarket (even many roaster beans), claiming no great drop in quality.

So this raised the conundrum of why can't they be roasted at source so giving much needed funds to communities. Guess it will be fine for on shelf beans, we will wait to hear the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Any know of a good value decaf from an Irish roaster? I have been using ponaire for years but would like to try a few others.
    Ponaire is €22 per kilo for whole beans

At €22 per kilo the Ponaire has to be the best value decaf roasted in Ireland with exceptional cup quality. We drink a lot of decaf in my house and while I would admit that I prefer the overall taste of the 3fe El Yalcon decaf, I don't prefer it €17.60 more per kilo. Generally speaking I'm not trying to cut corners with my coffee purchases because I enjoy exploring new flavours etc but for this particular function I'm not sure Ponaire can be bested. Besides, saving €15ish a month on decaf essentially opens up another 250g bag of caffeinated beans for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Talguetler wrote: »
    At €22 per kilo the Ponaire has to be the best value decaf roasted in Ireland with exceptional cup quality. We drink a lot of decaf in my house and while I would admit that I prefer the overall taste of the 3fe El Yalcon decaf, I don't prefer it €17.60 more per kilo. Generally speaking I'm not trying to cut corners with my coffee purchases because I enjoy exploring new flavours etc but for this particular function I'm not sure Ponaire can be bested. Besides, saving €15ish a month on decaf essentially opens up another 250g bag of caffeinated beans for me :pac:

Yeah i have been drinking it for about 3 years, so just looking to see what else is out there.
    Found mccabes have a good offer on 3 x 1kg for €54.95 shipped:
    https://mccabecoffee.com/product/ground-decaf/

Its similar to ponaire, great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Any thoughts on a proper airtight storage for beans? The bags they come in always have the small hole in them. Would covering that with sellotape do the trick?

Any thoughts on a proper airtight storage for beans? The bags they come in always have the small hole in them. Would covering that with sellotape do the trick?

that's a one way hole, you squeeze the bag after use and none can get back in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

It is non return valve in there ,so instead getting airtight containers( pure waste of money btw unless youll get one of these
    https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/airscape-container-black-850-ml-medium-8302-p.asp
    I have one of those , 500 ml version bought at Amazon, great canister , easy could recommend , you don't need bigger than 500ml , if you could source one.

)

Otherwise just use a zip lock provided and squeeze the bag to get rid of air.

just bought this

https://moyeecoffee.ie/products/moyee-coffee-taster-pack

4 x 250g of different coffees delivered for 30 quid, worth a punt imo

also, it's Fairchain. if I like them I might go for a sub, seems to be all or mostly African coffees.

This just arrived, so ordered Saturday, delivered Tuesday.

I'm in a work meeting at the moment but I'll look for dates etc.

So as expected, no roast dates.

The BB is 12/12/21, so assume they are a month old, and have travelled from East Africa (I've actually just been chatting with someone from there and they said yeah, assume the year from roasting as the BB date)

I opened the Dark Roast and made a French Press 60/1litre

I never usually go for Dark Roast because my experience is acrid bitter coffee, and I don't think many indie roasters even carry a dark roast option - and certainly not East African Coffee (Rwandan & Ugandan beans, roasted in Kenya).

My wife drank it with milk and I took it just black.

I like it. It is certainly bitter and intense, but there is none of that overly burnt flavour that I associate with very bad coffee and I doubt you'd pick it out as African at all. My wife loved it from the first sip.

As I go through the bags I'll report back on them, but I think the lag time from roast to cup will probably put people off - but for the price (7.50/225g delivered) and the feelgood factor of Fairchain it's probably worth my time and money.

I'm glad I've bought these.

This is interesting
    Thanks for letting us know about this issue. We had a small number of 250g bags that had the best before date 'cut off' obviously during sealing so this must have been the case for your batch. That most recent shipments of 250g were roasted on 14/12/2020 and so best before is one year later (14/12/2021).

We have a very long supply chain as we're roasting and bagging the vast majority of our coffee at origin but we try we use nitro flush and try to get it to customers as quick as we can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Could be other times of year and not in a pandemic that roasting and shipping is a bit quicker.

Advertisement