Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster joinery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Slightly off topic but my front door, (approx 10 years old from prior too me buying the house) PVC, needs to re aligned and probably needs the seals replaced as there is a gale force breeze coming in through it and under it. Also My French doors at the back which are 4 years old need too be tightened up too as they don’t meet properly anymore. I’d rather get someone in too do it then fiddle with it my self. Anyone come across a person they’d recommend to ring and come out to do it?

If in Cork pm me I've a friend who's top class and reasonsble, I've passed his name along to many

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Spacific

I worked there a number of years ago.
    The general instructions was "get the product out the door, no matter the condition. "A service man will look after that after" Sadly the after sales service left a lot to be desired.

The working hours there are Mon-Thu 8am to 6pm and 8am to 5pm on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

If in Cork pm me I've a friend who's top class and reasonsble, I've passed his name along to many

Your messages are full

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Iguarantee

From previous experience I found success with Amberline windows.

To illustrate the difference between their windows and others they have cross-sectioned windows in their showroom from the major brands/companies e.g. munster joinery. Personally, I found Munster joinery windows and doors to be basic and unspectacular. I have never ordered windows from them so I can't comment on their service, just their products.

I did find Amberline were excellent, from selection right up to install. The noise and thermal insulation were excellent in the windows we chose (triple glazed, 5 chamber frames). That was about 7 years ago and I'm looking to have the windows in my current (different) house changed to Amberline.

http://amberline.ie/

Give them a shout and see. FYI they're not cheap but the quality is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

Plenty of good alternatives out there guys. I worked for many years in this industry. MJ are dirt. PM me if anyone wants recommendations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Can you post the alternatives here?

Your messages are full

Pm sent with his details, don't hesitate to contact me again if needed, I'll WhatsApp you my details etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Surely no company would object to being publicly recommend here by regular posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

They are a shower of bxtards!
    Completely ruined a job in my workplace "school" cant get the cnts to come back its been finished over a year !
    Quality of there doors are awful and some of the workmanship look like it was done by chimps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There is a lad in Mallow called Hugh Twomey who does a good job.

• Advertisement

Surely no company would object to being publicly recommend here by regular posters?

No, why not, at the same time especially for small firms, ppl need to be uber careful it's not someone with a personal gripe, as jobs are at risk, as in hate the sin not the sinner
    If you're aiming that at me, the person I recommended works for a company, reputable but does foxers at a reduced rate and is in the game 20, plus years, I saw his work and put at least a dozen relatives or ppl I worked for onto him, all happy, and all have saved over 30 percent

Iguarantee wrote: »
    From previous experience I found success with Amberline windows.

To illustrate the difference between their windows and others they have cross-sectioned windows in their showroom from the major brands/companies e.g. munster joinery. Personally, I found Munster joinery windows and doors to be basic and unspectacular. I have never ordered windows from them so I can't comment on their service, just their products.

I did find Amberline were excellent, from selection right up to install. The noise and thermal insulation were excellent in the windows we chose (triple glazed, 5 chamber frames). That was about 7 years ago and I'm looking to have the windows in my current (different) house changed to Amberline.

http://amberline.ie/

Give them a shout and see. FYI they're not cheap but the quality is there.

I dont mind paying more at this stage and in hindsight I should have probably done the front of the house and then later did the back of the house.

You pay for quality. I'll be in a position to order a porch by the summer so will def go with these or some other recommendations

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    I dont mind paying more at this stage and in hindsight I should have probably done the front of the house and then later did the back of the house.

You pay for quality. I'll be in a position to order a porch by the summer so will def go with these or some other recommendations

we're all human, and want a better bargain, and the MJ warranty obviously sways folks, but not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

we're all human, and want a better bargain

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

They kept this scam going because of people wanting stuff on the cheap.

Hope their reputation catches up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dht

Live in estate in Dublin where we all bought a site & had house built by personally chosen builder. 2-3 houses used Munster Joinery ( cheapest quote) we went for the middle quote. Each of those houses had significant problems with doors & windows. That was 25 yrs ago. Sounds like nothing has changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

opus wrote: »
    Watch out if you've got their windows where you can remove the glass from the outside without leaving a mark. A friend of mine had forgotten the key to his holiday home last year & we were wondering if we'd have to break something to get in 'til a neighbour happened to walk buy & pointed out that it had Munster Joinery windows. He took a screwdriver, popped off the plastic wedges all around the glass & then we carefully took the pane of glass out. Took < 5 mins, could do it a lot faster if you practiced a bit & weren't too worried about breaking the glass of course. I believe you can't do this on their newer models.

This is the case with all windows, it really is quite simple to remove the glass if you know what you are doing. Not that I am backing up Munster Joinery.

If in the West Cork area Fastnet Windows are very good, based in Schull.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭moonbloom

Just have to leave my comment. We have MJ PVC windows and doors for 26 years. Windows still OK, only just replaced the front door. Never had any issues. We were going to go with MJ again but Rep didn't turn up as arranged and never called back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

moonbloom wrote: »
    Just have to leave my comment. We have MJ PVC windows and doors for 26 years. Windows still OK, only just replaced the front door. Never had any issues. We were going to go with MJ again but Rep didn't turn up as arranged and never called back.
    You just dodged a bullet!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭French Toast

Started a new build here in May and our builder advised against Munster Joinery. Difficult to follow up on faults and charge an hourly rate when they're out replacing their own faulty units, or so we were told. Didn't go with them for a finish.

In regards to being able to remove panes of glass, some windows this can only be done from the inside. I know such is the case with the ones we chose.

Started a new build here in May and our builder advised against Munster Joinery. Difficult to follow up on faults and charge an hourly rate when they're out replacing their own faulty units, or so we were told. Didn't go with them for a finish.

In regards to being able to remove panes of glass, some windows this can only be done from the inside. I know such is the case with the ones we chose.

They put in doors for us a few years ago, problem with the handles, but they eventually fixed them, no charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Useless. Just a standard 2 flight red deal stairs I ordered, the ****ed it up twice, tried to tell me I gave them the wrong measurements even though there rep came out and measured it. :rolleyes:

They were the cheapest by some distance but I can see why, I recently used Cloghroe Joinery for another stairs and they were top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Trustpilot reviews. I know that seems to be the UK branch, but yeesh. And MJ were the crowd I was going to go with for a fairly expensive sash window install.

who_me wrote: »
    .............I know that seems to be the UK branch...............

First few reviews are from folk in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can't believe how bad their reputation is!!

How are they still in business?

Cheap n cheerful, it's a really huge company and going back a few years they were doing more business outside the state and were among the first in Europe to make design etc windiw profiles etc,,,, any company with 2 massive wind turbines and a v smooth conveyor system of work are making it big time, but they're work at times is ****e

Think the problem lies with the fitters they send out, ffs I used see them travelling in the middle of the night all over the place years ago whilst driving up n down to Derry, they must be wrecked, liable to see them from Gweedore to Beara and anywhere in between at any hour

They are a volume seller, they've a huge proportion of the market. On large projects with the fitters on site for weeks etc they'll likely fix most issues to the sites satisfaction so folk will place huge orders with them.
    ...Cheap n cheerful.......any company with 2 massive wind turbines and a v smooth conveyor system of work are making it big time, but they're work at times is ****e

They are not shy to invest either. As well as the wind turbines they've a CHP wood burning boiler down there also, uses the sawdust and offcuts from the joinery. They sell power to the national grid also.

I'd say as a company their high level financial figures are robust and healthy tbh, no fear of them going bust. For every negative review there must be loads of happy customers..... if not they've plenty opportunity to improve and reduce rework/remediation by the fitters.

Graingers Sawmills in Enniskeane had one a good few years before MJ did. Graingers use water from the river running by the plant as their water source, between that and the fuel being a byproduct of their sawmill it's a major €€€€ for them.

Augeo wrote: »
    They are a volume seller, they've a huge proportion of the market. On large projects with the fitters on site for weeks etc they'll likely fix most issues to the sites satisfaction so folk will place huge orders with them.

They are not shy to invest either. As well as the wind turbines they've a CHP wood burning boiler down there also, uses the sawdust and offcuts from the joinery. They sell power to the national grid also.

I'd say as a company their high level financial figures are robust and healthy tbh, no fear of them going bust. For every negative review there must be loads of happy customers..... if not they've plenty opportunity to improve and reduce rework/remediation by the fitters.

Graingers Sawmills in Enniskeane had one a good few years before MJ did. Graingers use water from the river running by the plant as their water source, between that and the fuel being a byproduct of their sawmill it's a major €€€€ for them.

They sell in huge volumes abroad, and obviously a company this mega will have some terrible reviews, but again I stress its the rough work SOME of their fitters do is giving them a bad rap plus some of their of their products are well below par, ffs I've problems with every window and 2 doors so far in the space of 12 years, now tbf they sent a guy up from Abbeyfeale a few times to sort out our estate but he disappeared after a few trips

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’ve heard some horror stories about them.

Apparently you are guaranteed to need their after sales service to fix some issue or another.

A friend got windows with them, they made a mistake and put white bars in the glass initially, getting them to replace it wasn’t easy but eventually they changed out the glass only to install one window that had the sticker on the glass inside of the double glazing. Another torture getting that replaced.

• Advertisement

I’ve heard some horror stories about them.

Apparently you are guaranteed to need their after sales service to fix some issue or another.

A friend got windows with them, they made a mistake and put white bars in the glass initially, getting them to replace it wasn’t easy but eventually they changed out the glass only to install one window that had the sticker on the glass inside of the double glazing. Another torture getting that replaced.

God almighty

Advertisement