Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 ready Tv’s/Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The 55" LG CX is around €1400 from Richer Sounds if that's worth considering?

I have 300euro worth in Vouchers so would prefer to buy locally...

New TVs is one of the hardest decision because of the variety ideally I would like to see them displayed but nowhere has the big ones displayed beside me...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have 300euro worth in Vouchers so would prefer to buy locally...

New TVs is one of the hardest decision because of the variety ideally I would like to see them displayed but nowhere has the big ones displayed beside me...

You could always use the vouchers in the supermarket over the next few weeks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The CX is down to 1,400 or so in most places (DID, PC World) at the moment so definitely worth having a double check for that. Mine arrived the other day and it’s stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

The CX is down to 1,400 or so in most places (DID, PC World) at the moment so definitely worth having a double check for that. Mine arrived the other day and it’s stunning.

Been eying this up for ages but can't justify above 1k for the television :( heard rumours it would come down to 1000, maybe in the summer with the new releases.

Glad to hear its as good as it sounds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

id love to have all your money lads forking out €1500 on a tv

im just jealous!

any decent tvs for around €500-€600?

• Advertisement

akelly02 wrote: »
    id love to have all your money lads forking out €1500 on a tv

im just jealous!

any decent tvs for around €500-€600?

I've never spent more than €800 on a TV but for something that you'll have for up to 10 years €1000+ doesn't look that bad in fairness.

I used to spend loads on a new phone every year or on PC parts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Anyone looking for a HDMI 2.1 tv but not wanting to spend over 1000, the Sony XH90 is very good

Yeah actually leaning towards just buying it for 1400 but is it much better than the q90t?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I've been tempted to pull the trigger on this one for ages. Trying to convince myself I don't need it as I got a 4K TV 2 years ago but it sounds so good. I need to stay off this thread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah actually leaning towards just buying it for 1400 but is it much better than the q90t?

I think either TV is a great option honestly from what I’ve read - you’ll get an excellent TV in the end. But watching *lots* of videos and reviews made me settle on the LG in the end. OLED seems like the best bet for picture quality (important for me as I watch lots of movies - the filmmaker mode is a godsend!) and the four HDMI 2.1 slots make it future proof as can be at the moment. If you’re spending €1400 regardless, it’s worth pushing up the list :)

I should stress at all that I basically binged new TV info over the past two weeks so I’m sure more long-term experts will give you a more thorough breakdown :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

I am seeing reports that 4K120fps HDR is broken on many TV's, including samsungs.
    It does work for the Xbox Series X though
    https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1609743966
    I read that the LG is one TV that does work properly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CES is next week and in the 2 months following you'll see some of the best prices, I doubt the CX will hit 1k. Even if the prices drop much further it's going to be hard to get one, and as stock falls prices will start to increases as when they up against their next year version who'll be a lot more; 2021 C11 @ 2k vs 2020 CX @ ~1.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Why is the LG CX 48 more expensive than the 55? What am I missing here?

mutley18 wrote: »
    Why is the LG CX 48 more expensive than the 55? What am I missing here?

TVs are made in layers with many of these layers being made in giant sheets and then cut down.

2.5m x 2.2m manufacturing processes (standard size and same for many oem display manufacturers) which get's you 6 55" or 3 65" or 2 75" with space for 2 48".

So they only have as many 48" as they make 75", and 65" have a load of waste costing twice as much as a 55" for most components. So the scale for 48" is far lower than that for 55" so cost price is higher.

There plans to move to longer larger manufacturing that will mean that it'll cost practically the same to make a 55" as it does a 65", no idea where that leaves 48"

Was looking at the Full Array LED Sony XH9005 for 1000euro something that I can pick up tomorrow...

But I'm still kind of leaning towards the LG CX for 1400euro..

Damn why is this TV Choosing so hard..

Going to get harder.

Right now it's LED vs OLED, and then within LED you've VA vs IPS (for the LCD panel type) and the different backlighting for the LEDs edge vs full array and how many zones if there's local dimming.

CES has some news about Samsungs and Sonys new Micro LED screens for this year.

An LED tv is a normal LCD panel with LEDs behind to pass light through and be coloured or blocked (mostly) by the LCD panel, while with Micro LED like OLED it's the LED that's making the light and the colour and like OLED can turn completely off for insane contrast. With some of these designed for slightly worse contrast due to a bit of light bleed due to the LED spacing but substantially higher brightness than a OLED can do, and others that will be made to match OLED contrast and probably still beat them on brightness.

So it's going to be OLED vs LED (VA vs IPS, & edge vs FA) vs Micro LED ( high contrast (OLED levels of contrast) vs high brightness).

After much consideration the Samsung Q90T is apparently dropped to 1259 so was told they can deliver if they are closed... This is from Euronics, great price tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Anyone ordered a TV from Currys this week? Bought one on the 4th and no tracking info provided by Currys yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Was just on the phone to powercity to order the Q80t, 5-7 days delivery, didn't go for it. Can't collect as I don't drive. Will take a one4all along with a debit card over the phone though!

More fun,

Samsung are using mico LED as backlights for the neo QLED tvs, their none micro LED (same LED backlight currently used) tvs are now crystal UHD, and Sony's true mico LED (ie no LCD panel at all) are called crystal LED.

• Advertisement

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/STsNQBSn71CXvOJa/sony-officially-concedes-vrr-and-allm-is-cancelled

Saw this in the Xbox TV thread. Sony not going to offer VRR on the XH90

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bad form. It would put me off buying a Sony TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, that's annoying as I invested in the XH90 last year.
    Nothing official yet so I hope it's not true.

The link below states that it will get it:
    https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00254857

VRR/ALLM are part of the specification for HDMI 2.1 not sure how they're allowed to do that.

Also they're going off one support page that doesn't say they dropped it but no longer lists it. The current firmware v6.4960 was the one that was meant to have it and it's still listed in some of the support documents just prior to the firmware release.

I'd say it slipped and may be in a future update, hopefully like with the 4k@120 issue someone get's an official comment off them. In either case no loss for a PS5 right now as it doesn't support VRR anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I picked up an LG Oled about 2 years ago that will do 4K HDR or 120FPS, but not both at the same time. I'm not planning on upgrading any time soon, it looks gorgeous as it is and the number of games doing 4K 120 natively is going to be pretty low for some time to come.

CES in full swing,

Asus showing off their HDMI 2.1 4k monitor tomorrow at a 6pm Irish time event.

LG showed off a few today including a 27" 4K IPS HDMI 2.1 HDR600 screen with a bunch of ports, and a 32" OLED with HDMI 2.0

ViewSonic has a a few 31.5" and 27" screens but only 1 is HDMI 2.1. It's not the HDMI 2.1 display but one of them is mini led backlight and are rated to HDR1000 @1400nits with over a thousand dimming zones. So some hard choices for those who play on both console and PC on the same display, do you get the best display or the best HDMI 2.1 console display.

LG Displays (the actual panel producers) announced a 42" OLED TV panel for this year too. That's where my money would be going (PC and PS5).

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    LG Displays (the actual panel producers) announced a 42" OLED TV panel for this year too. That's where my money would be going (PC and PS5).

Probably going to end up the same as the 48" cost wise or a little cheaper and be close in price to the 55".

They'll get 2 42" made per 3 * 65" or if they replace the 48 the per 2 75".

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Probably going to end up the same as the 48" cost wise or a little cheaper and be close in price to the 48".

They'll get 2 42" made per 3 * 65" or if they replace the 48 the per 2 75".

And still much better value/quality than a high end IPS or VA screen (imo).

Advertisement