Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Nody wrote: »
    It's worked for the last 40+ years and the voters voted in people who'll punish them even more in the latest election; why change tactics now?

Who knows what will happen. You could be right that somehow moving away even further from the EU and adding more costs and barriers is the answer to extra costs and some barriers that Brexit created.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Enzokk wrote: »
    Who knows what will happen. You could be right that somehow moving away even further from the EU and adding more costs and barriers is the answer to extra costs and some barriers that Brexit created.
    I agree is utterly stupid and futile; but it will be phrased and placed as a way to make UK companies more competitive on the global market and allow UK strike out in a brave new world. I'm quite certain it will fail horribly and cost the UK economy even more but that's not the point; it's the freedom and dreams that make the senior brexiteers wet themselves at night over. Remember for them Brexit is not about reality but about their vision on how things should be with UK at the center of the world as in the "good old days".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Pro-Brexit campaign Leave.EU relocates to Waterford

Campaign migrates registered office for its website so it can retain .eu internet address

Horrible to see these people with a presence here, even if only as window dressing.
    There must be some kind of peaceful protest. Maybe some friendly local can install a doorbell that chimes Ode To Joy

I agree is utterly stupid and futile; but it will be phrased and placed as a way to make UK companies more competitive on the global market and allow UK strike out in a brave new world. I'm quite certain it will fail horribly and cost the UK economy even more but that's not the point; it's the freedom and dreams that make the senior brexiteers wet themselves at night over. Remember for them Brexit is not about reality but about their vision on how things should be with UK at the center of the world as in the "good old days".

I guess one of the reasons why Brexit was able to win was that it they simplified the message for people. So trying to tell someone why it is better to be in the EU when you are giving up some "sovereignty" will always be hard against, TAKE BACK CONTROL!

But the problem is very easy to explain now. Why aren't you exporting to the EU any longer? Brexit and extra cost. The solution from the Brexiters will be the complicated explanation. Try to explain why going WTO is simple and better in as few words as possible. Remember, Johnson sold his deal as being so good it will make trade even easier somehow.
    A comprehensive Canada style free trade deal between the UK and the EU, a deal that will protect jobs across this country.

A deal that will allow UK goods and components to be sold without tariffs and without quotas in the EU market.

A deal which will if anything should allow our companies and our exporters to do even more business with our European friends.

And yet which achieves something that the people of this country instinctively knew was doable.

But which they were told was impossible.

We have taken back control of laws and our destiny.

We have taken back control of every jot and tittle of our regulation.

In a way that is complete and unfettered.

Prime Minister's statement on EU negotiations: 24 December 2020

So how do you explain that WTO is even better now all of a sudden? And that is why I think it will be harder for the Brexiters to claim their same lies again when people are hurting even more and the answer is easy on why, Brexit and barriers to trade.

So that is why I cannot really get behind the UK public going for the same again, then again I also didn't think the US public will that stupid to vote for Trump in 2016 so what do I know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

But the problem is very easy to explain now. Why aren't you exporting to the EU any longer? Brexit and extra cost. The solution from the Brexiters will be the complicated explanation. Try to explain why going WTO is simple and better in as few words as possible. Remember, Johnson sold his deal as being so good it will make trade even easier somehow.
    EU are punishing UK companies and UK for daring to leave UK and hinder UK from go where it should be! To stop that UK will now remove more red tape to enable innovation for UK companies and help make food cheaper by removing quotas EU forced on us! UK will become world leader in innovation, AI, automatic driving cars and enable UK companies to do what they can't do currently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Stena temporarily cutting sailings on both Welsh routes:

https://twitter.com/SiCarswell/status/1347259962825826305

Wonder if they'll have the cop on to redeploy these ships to Rosslare - France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Jizique

Lemming wrote: »
    Rowan is listed on Vision-net.ie's listing as company director with "one other" unnamed. Doesn't even give Rowan's first name, just "Mr. Rowan".

Isn’t right wing blogger Guido Faukes from Waterford (or Wexford)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Jizique wrote: »
    Isn’t right wing blogger Guido Faukes from Waterford (or Wexford)

I think he just moved there from England, but he does have Irish roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think he just moved there from England, but he does have Irish roots.

Paul Staines (AKA Guido Fawkes). Uses his Irish nationality and base to get out of hot water. In the Leveson Inquiry he said:
    “Something I think you might have overlooked,” he said, “is that I’m a citizen of a free republic and since 1922 I don’t have to pay attention to what a British judge orders my countrymen to do.”

His mother is from Finglas. RTE Documtary at One did a programme on him (Guido) which is very interesting.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2013/0125/647323-documentary-podcast-guido-fawkes-paul-staines-order-order/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Not directly Brexit related I admit (although it is and it isn't, it's certainly a symptom of what caused the vote to leave the EU), but apparently some in the UK are forgoing Pfizer vaccines because they want to (and I quote) 'wait for the English one' (the AstraZeneca / Oxford one).

Now we'll just gloss over the fact that there are several Irish people involved in this study, and clinical trails and all they entail are truly global mutli-national collaborations, but that's just truly staggering in an awful pandemic.

Hard nationalism is literally killing people, just extraordinary. Those fools who fan those flames really have so much to answer for - although the lack of critical thinking is equally stunning (and not in a good way).

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0107/1188376-vaccine-england/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: I've moved some off topic posts.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EU are punishing UK companies and UK for daring to leave UK and hinder UK from go where it should be! To stop that UK will now remove more red tape to enable innovation for UK companies and help make food cheaper by removing quotas EU forced on us! UK will become world leader in innovation, AI, automatic driving cars and enable UK companies to do what they can't do currently!

The UK has moved themselves out of the biggest trade block in the world. The EU isn't punishing anyone. This is the equivalent of the UK punching itself in its face and blaming the EU. I also don't see how the UK is going to be a leader in anything with it's isolationist policies where it has effectively cut itself off from innovation, ideas and people from other countries. This is the UK's own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Not directly Brexit related I admit (although it is and it isn't, it's certainly a symptom of what caused the vote to leave the EU), but apparently some in the UK are forgoing Pfizer vaccines because they want to (and I quote) 'wait for the English one' (the AstraZeneca / Oxford one).

Now we'll just gloss over the fact that there are several Irish people involved in this study, and clinical trails and all they entail are truly global mutli-national collaborations, but that's just truly staggering in an awful pandemic.

Hard nationalism is literally killing people, just extraordinary. Those fools who fan those flames really have so much to answer for - although the lack of critical thinking is equally stunning (and not in a good way).

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0107/1188376-vaccine-england/

at the same time there is some suggestions that the eu was rather slow in buying avaialble drugs as france was putting on pressure to buy more 'french" drugs .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

peter kern wrote: »
    at the same time there is some suggestions that the eu was rather slow in buying avaialble drugs as france was putting on pressure to buy more 'french" drugs .

Do you have a source for this? I'd be interested in reading the full article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The UK has moved themselves out of the biggest trade block in the world. The EU isn't punishing anyone. This is the equivalent of the UK punching itself in its face and blaming the EU. I also don't see how the UK is going to be a leader in anything with it's isolationist policies where it has effectively cut itself off from innovation, ideas and people from other countries. This is the UK's own goal.

His post was poking fun at the mindset of Brexiteers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The only source I've seen is an Express article so I wouldn't put any stock in any of the nonsense they printed and I won't give the extra hits by linking it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Express is not a source, they literally make up stuff that they think reflects badly on the EU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

His post was poking fun at the mindset of Brexiteers.

My sarcasm detector needs calibration. Been reading too many daily mail comments.

Here is just a thread about how the disruption now happening was predicted by the experts, but they were told they were wrong or were just not listened to.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1347468916872912896.html

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1347468916872912896?s=20

It explains simply why there are checks and what is happening. The decisions is all down to Johnson and friends, they made the decision for this to happen.

Edit: Mods, I know this is related to trade, but it delves into the Brexit deal and explain why it is happening, I think it is more Brexit related than Irish UK trade.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My sarcasm detector needs calibration. Been reading too many daily mail comments.
    Well the post was in reply to Enzokk in regards to how going to WTO terms could be framed in the same way Brexit was framed in sovereignty to make complex easy and popular. I agree that it's utterly stupid but I think that's the direction they will go rather than BRINO which was the original question in reaction to the realities on the ground right now as people thought UK would move towards BRINO to reduce the issues.

• Advertisement

sorry no this was on german telly where journalists from france china uk germany and from brussels where discussing covid
    the french journalist could neither confirm nor deny it.

but the fact remains that the EU did not change its order when it was clear that sanofi was not going to be able to supply the drug anytime soon.

https://www.augsburger-allgemeine.de/politik/Warum-hat-die-Europaeische-Union-nicht-mehr-Impfdosen-bestellt-id58850051.html

In Brüssel verpasste man die aktuelle Entwicklung. So bestellte die EU-Kommission beispielsweise bei Sanofi mit insgesamt 300 Millionen Dosen mehr als bei Biontech (200 plus eine Option auf 100 Millionen Dosen). Als der französische Konzern früh aus dem Rennen um ein schnell verfügbares Vakzin ausschied, schaltete man nicht um, sondern ließ die Dinge laufen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Here is just a thread about how the disruption now happening was predicted by the experts, but they were told they were wrong or were just not listened to.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1347468916872912896.html

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1347468916872912896?s=20

It explains simply why there are checks and what is happening. The decisions is all down to Johnson and friends, they made the decision for this to happen.

Edit: Mods, I know this is related to trade, but it delves into the Brexit deal and explain why it is happening, I think it is more Brexit related than Irish UK trade.

these twitter threads are grand

but it's only preaching to the choir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Let's not go down the road of believing that the EU or EU states are above protectionism or nationalism. We are all humans.

Brexit can be retarded without needing to make out the EU is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Let's not go down the road of believing that the EU or EU states are above protectionism or nationalism. We are all humans.

what's that comment in relation to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

From a members perspective, is it not better that we in the EU are protectionist - and as a result protect our members interests above the likes of the UK who chose to leave? I for one, would not be in favour of an EU who was not acting to protect itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It looks like the fishing industry is in for a devastating blow:
    Fishermen are halting exports to Europe because new border bureaucracy introduced by the government as part of Brexit is making their business unviable.

Exporters now have to deal with new health certificates, customs declarations and other paperwork if they want to sell to the EU, the largest market for much of the UK's catch.

Describing the situation as a "catastrophe", businesses said orders from Europe were also drying up because of Boris Johnson's new trade barriers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-fish-trade-uk-eu-lorries-exports-b1784312.html

This was always going to be an issue because of the new friction introduced to the trade in fish, two-thirds of British fish crossing the channel and the perishable nature of the goods involved. Of course, we'll hear nothing from the Brexiters as the fishing industry has served its purpose.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

M&S have announced the withdrawal of 300+ products in Northern Ireland. I have personally noticed this in the shop around the corner from me, usually a thriving, well stocked shop in a busy, well off area.

I wonder how long they can remain viable businesses?

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/ms-temporarily-withdraws-hundreds-items-sale-northern-ireland-due-irish-sea-border-red-tape-3089599

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Leave.eu may have moved their registered address to Waterford but they haven't changed that information on their webpage. Possibly wisely.

Meanwhile 2 out of 2 orders that I thought I was ordering stuff from Ireland and it turns out its coming from a distribution centre / premises in the UK. And in both cases was dismally delayed, with a lack of communication from either firm. How long before Irish suppliers are obliged to specify that goods are in fact being ordered/shipped from the UK when they advertise stuff for sale here?

Neale Richmond has sent a letter to Comreg asking about the legality of them (Leave EU) doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

It was initially reported by Der Spiegel.
    Here is an article in English on Politico
    France denies allegations it pressured EU to buy French vaccines over German

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-puts-down-vaccine-favouritism-allegations/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭yagan

looksee wrote: »

Meanwhile 2 out of 2 orders that I thought I was ordering stuff from Ireland and it turns out its coming from a distribution centre / premises in the UK. And in both cases was dismally delayed, with a lack of communication from either firm. How long before Irish suppliers are obliged to specify that goods are in fact being ordered/shipped from the UK when they advertise stuff for sale here?
    That's really frustrating. I stopping ordering stuff from the UK back in November but have been looking at similar stuff advertised an .ie site, but now you've made me double check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

looksee wrote: »
    Leave.eu may have moved their registered address to Waterford but they haven't changed that information on their webpage. Possibly wisely.

Until customer returns eat up their cashflow (stock domestically in IE & resell as second, or ship back to UK with costly paperwork + transport: in either case, profit level through the floor). And that's presuming they're already eating the dent from increasing transport & customs costs.

Sooner still, if they did not risk-assess and Irish customers get hit with customs invoices out of the blue.

EDIT: I had a bit of free time this morning, so went for a mooch on the European Register of trademarks to find out what my old UK firm (the one I worked for before Brexoding, not the UK arm of the current one) has done by way of Brexit mitigation. The address for service changed from UK to an EU27 address on 02 Jan for all EU marks and designs previously managed from the UK, so the 'arrangements' are public after a fashion (we can tell which IP firm in the UK has done what and in some cases with whom)...

...Well, **** me, but I've yet to stop laughing and get back on my chair! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Should have renamed it to "left.eu"?

Maybe they think the website will be useful for when other English speaking EU members are going to leave the EU because of the brilliant success that Brexit has been shown to be.

I suppose moving to Waterford might suggest which EU country that might be.

They could enlist the services of the Waterford Whisperer to help them campaign, but I doubt they would get the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

but the fact remains that the EU did not change its order when it was clear that sanofi was not going to be able to supply the drug anytime soon.

https://www.augsburger-allgemeine.de/politik/Warum-hat-die-Europaeische-Union-nicht-mehr-Impfdosen-bestellt-id58850051.html

In Brüssel verpasste man die aktuelle Entwicklung. So bestellte die EU-Kommission beispielsweise bei Sanofi mit insgesamt 300 Millionen Dosen mehr als bei Biontech (200 plus eine Option auf 100 Millionen Dosen). Als der französische Konzern früh aus dem Rennen um ein schnell verfügbares Vakzin ausschied, schaltete man nicht um, sondern ließ die Dinge laufen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/news/eu-says-it-has-secured-nearly-half-of-pfizers-2021-global-output-of-covid-19-vaccines-39946643.html

Fact is the EU have ordered 600 million doses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Maybe they think the website will be useful for when other English speaking EU members are going to leave the EU because of the brilliant success that Brexit has been shown to be.

I suppose moving to Waterford might suggest which EU country that might be.

They could enlist the services of the Waterford Whisperer to help them campaign, but I doubt they would get the joke.

Make no mistake these sycophants will try to improve the UKs position by attempting to drive any wedges they can in the EU. They should be treated like digital terrorists. No I don't use that term lightly. The leaders of that site used personal data for their brexit campaign . Just because the UK courts handled it all with kid gloves and light touch doesn't mean we should.

Digital terrorists.

Got badly stung to the tune of €80 for import duties and customs charges today on a €130 worth of baby and maternity clothes from a well known massive UK retailer.

Won't be able to retain my business, as will obviously be switching to an irish or eu competitor in future. Extremely small fry in the run of things but I'm certain there will be a huge group effect on UK sales into the EU which will have a disastrous impact.

None of our lost custom will be evident in the days and weeks ahead. It will take a lot longer for impacts to be felt.

I would be extraordinarily impressed if the trade deals en route are enough to replace the lost markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

BioNTech has a new factory in Magdeburg, Germany and it should be ready to produce already in February 2021.

"(BioNTech co-founder Ugur) Sahin said BioNTech aimed to get a new manufacturing facility in the German city of Marburg up and running in February, far earlier than planned,” that should then be able to churn out an additional 250 million doses in the first half of 2021."

The EU should get 75 million extra doses in 2021Q2 (source UvdL) and the remaining 225 million extra doses in Q3 and Q4.

Lars :)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/germanys-biontech-racing-to-ramp-up-vaccine-production-to-fill-gap/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would be extraordinarily impressed if the trade deals en route are enough to replace the lost markets.

That cannot be, as the EU is the major market for their exports - approx. 50% so if they lose just 10% of those sales, they would have to get trade deals with many major states to get near that figure, and who could that be?

China - when they are having a major dispute over Hong Kong, and deploying the USA staffed aircraft carrier in the South China seas. Well, I think the most loony Brexiteer would see that as unlikely.

USA - well chlorinated chicken, GMO cereals, and antibiotic dosed beef says that if they go that route they lose the remnants of the EU trade.

Australia and NZ - it would not cover the postage.

I think GDP contraction is the most likely result, followed by a heavy fall in GBP exchange rates.

According to Mogg, it will be fifty tears before they see the benefits of Brexit. Of course by then those that voted for it will be dead or retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

What is the difference between tariff and duty ? I thought the Brexit deal was tariff and quota free ; or is it a rules of origin thing ?

Very simply tariffs are basically financial loadings on goods in order to protect domestic markets and goods, duty is tariffs/tax on goods no matter where they're produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

trellheim wrote: »
    What is the difference between tariff and duty ? I thought the Brexit deal was tariff and quota free ; or is it a rules of origin thing ?

(If I understand correctly) the tariff level on the goods is what results in the Customs duty cost to import them. However "duty" on its own is a vague term.

Could refer to an Excise duty (special taxes that govt. put on some goods - cigarettes, alcohol, fuel oils and sugar [I think] paid at the head of the chain by importer/producer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

yes it all seems to blend into one another. My sole concern here is that the Brexit deal specifically said tariff free so why are duties being levied ?

yes it all seems to blend into one another. My sole concern here is that the Brexit deal specifically said tariff free so why are duties being levied ?

Well, it is only tariff free for most goods. Tariffs will apply to goods originating outside the EU or the UK or where insufficient content originates within the EU or UK. It is not clear how many, or which, goods will bear tariffs.

It is a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I'm no expert and only have read what has been reported about this agreement in the media etc. If it is not actually UK goods, I think there could be tariffs + a Customs duty in some cases. So something they import from US say, put it in another box and then try to export into the EU. What the actual detailed rules are around all that in the agreement and how they will play out in real life are outside the limits of my small amount of knowledge.

Edit: regardless of the absence or presence of Customs duty, there are Customs procedures, paperwork, checks etc because the goods are "imports" (UK to EU) now (where they were not before 1/1/21).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭paul71

Hurrache wrote: »
    Very simply tariffs are basically financial loadings on goods in order to protect domestic markets and goods, duty is tariffs/tax on goods no matter where they're produced.

Exactly, an excise duty is applied to Alcohol on point of entry if imported (UK beer, French wine) or on the manufacturer if brewed in Ireland.

Same thing when we used to grow tobacco here up to the 1950s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭paul71

Because excise duries are not tariffs as explained above and because the EU (or any other country) cannot give a free hand to businesses in the UK to import goods from other 3rd countries and re-export them without tariffs and undermining the customs union.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

paul71 wrote: »
    Exactly, an excise duty is applied to Alcohol on point of entry if imported (UK beer, French wine) or on the manufacturer if brewed in Ireland.

Whereas a tariff would only be imposed on the imported product.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Roger White arrived in France at 2.30pm on Tuesday with a truckload of hard cheese from Somerset.
    “I think they are picking on the English trucks maybe,” he said, as there was nothing wrong with the cheese. “Just missing paperwork.” Until it arrived, he would not be free to go.
    There are no tariffs and no quotas. The only difference compared to last week is goods now need proper paperwork (and some inspections) and 10% of loads didn't have it.

French drivers are also stuck in the opposite direction.
    “Brexit, for us, it’s not very good,” said Brogniart.

Another French driver, Alexandre Tronet, joins the conversation. “This is what you wanted. You wanted Brexit,” he said.

“I got here at 6am,” he added, putting his waiting time so far at six and a half hours. Again he has to wait until the freight owner sends over the correct customs paperwork to authorities stationed at the Eurotunnel border post.

a truckload of hard cheese - Oh I'm still laughing at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Roger White arrived in France at 2.30pm on Tuesday with a truckload of hard cheese from Somerset.

There are no tariffs and no quotas. The only difference compared to last week is goods now need proper paperwork (and some inspections) and 10% of loads didn't have it.

French drivers are also stuck in the opposite direction.

a truckload of hard cheese - Oh I'm still laughing at that.

"Just missing paperwork".

Oh dear, someone hasn't heard of Export Health Certificates..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement