Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

druss wrote: »

I still like to read the 2016 Opus, at least once a month. Never fails to cheer me up.

Oh yes, thanks for reminding me of this. It is indeed wonderful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lemming wrote: »
    There are no Irish listed officers for either Leave.EU or "Better for the Country" according to Companies House, from the UK registered angle at least. CRO has a listing but you have to pay to see details

Better for the Country; no current (or prior) officers
    with Irish nationality nor residence.
    • Arron Banks (British, residency: England)
    • Elizabeth Bilney (British, residency: United Kingdom)
    • Penelope Murphy (British, residency: Australia)
    • Alison Marshall (British, residency: Wales)
    • Andrew Wigmore (British, residency: England)

Leave.EU
    Current officers lying charlatans:
    • Arron Banks (British, residency: England)
    • Elizabeth Bilney (British, residency: United Kingdom)
    • Jacobus Coetzee (British, residency: England)
    • Penelope Murphy (British, residency: Australia)

I was looking at the CRO details for the Irish registered company mentioned - the UK ones are no longer allowed hold .eu domains hence the Irish one

Its UK directors are Martin Rowan and presumably the same Elizabeth Bliney.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

ITV reporting on how Tesco, Boots, B & Q are all reviewing their EU operations - most surprised that Debenhams still have a trading website given they were essentially liquidated before Christmas:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-07/debenhams-closes-online-business-in-ireland-as-50-major-uk-retailers-face-eu-tariffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I thought you'd already relocated to the continent.
    You thought right, I did in early 2018.

It's just getting a bit toxic here (the company, not the place), every passing day is reminding me ever more of my heavy engineering days in the UK in the late 90s, in a plc beset by creaky, navel-gazing and exceptionalist management, before it all went to the wall hard in the face of South African and Indian competition.

Need to get out, and well away, from anything associated with and piloted from the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ambro25 wrote: »

It's just getting a bit toxic here (the company, not the place), every passing day is reminding me ever more of my heavy engineering days in the UK in the late 90s, in a plc beset by creaky, navel-gazing and exceptionalist management, before it all went to the wall hard in the face of South African and Indian competition.

Need to get out, and well away, from anything associated with and piloted from the UK.

Ah. I didn't realise you were with a UK firm.

I'd started applying for things in early 2020 but stopped because of covid. Starting again now. Best of luck.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ambro25 wrote: »

Jesus that sums up my days working in England well. Exceptionalism to me means the belief that one is deserving of more just for being who they are. Unfortunately this has the side effect of convincing the exceptionalist that they don't need to be effective, competent or in possession of all of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Ah. I didn't realise you were with a UK firm.

I'd started applying for things in early 2020. Starting again now. Best of luck.
    It isn't a UK firm as such, it is part of a global group mostly based in the UK and the top level of which is quasi-exclusively Brit. The level of Brit influence here was misrepresented to me in 2017, but it took until 2020 -and the 'Brexit' preparations- to became clearly apparent.

Imagine being an Irish national appointed M&S country director for France with a PhD in logistics and kids named after Incoterms...

...and being consulted no more than once or twice about Brexit in the last 2-3 years, giving pragmatic information and advice with objective & researched basis each time, but never getting any feedback (never mind seeing any of that advice followed), nor even any information about what is being planned -if anything at all- until a week or two from 31 Dec, then getting told to liaise with your suppliers and clients to try and explain the nuclear power plant of a setup that UK management dreamt up and which will all fall down like a card castle before summer 2021, all the while apologizing for the bare shelves.

Whilst the M&S France chairman yay's it all and nods happily for more.

That kind of toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Pro-Brexit campaign Leave.EU relocates to Waterford

Campaign migrates registered office for its website so it can retain .eu internet address

Horrible to see these people with a presence here, even if only as window dressing.
    Ah Jaysus I would have bet my life savings that was a Waterfordwhispers article befor the Irish Times article opened...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Jesus that sums up my days working in England well. Exceptionalism to me means the belief that one is deserving of more just for being who they are. Unfortunately this has the side effect of convincing the exceptionalist that they don't need to be effective, competent or in possession of all of the facts.

Hmm. Not necessarily. In many cases, I would say it is simply not understanding that there is a different, non British way of doing things. All the while the operation stays in the Britosphere, things tick along nicely, but should ever it come up against an alternative model, friction arises, sometimes sufficient to set the place on fire.

Some time ago I worked for an English contractor on a French project, officially employed as an interpreter so that they could tick a box and satisfy a French union demand. From the day I started to the day I left, the Big Boss could never get his head around the fact that I wasn't simply interpreting the words passing between the two worlds, but also the unspoken signals, warnings, advice and instructions. My own diplomatic cautions were brushed aside with a "we've worked on contracts all over the world ..." but he paid a high price for his blinkered vision - I was let go when he decided to save money by not paying me to work for him because one of the Portugese subcontractors spoke English and French. The union guy shut the operation down the following week. :pac:

This version of "not seeing things for what they are" exceptionalism isn't unique to the British, though. I inadvertently caught a long part of the streamed proceedings from the US Senate in the early hours of the morning and was struck by the number of contributors saying (about the mob rule) "this is not who we are, this is not America ..." and couldn't help thinking to myself "yep, that's exactly what the rest of the world thinks America is!"

So it was with the negotiations on the WA and the FTA: from the get-go, "London" was never able to get into the "Brussels" mindset, and completely failed (a) to understand just how strong a force the EU has become; and (b) that the EU's way of doing business was - and still is - a warm but clinical application of written rules. Sure, there's still a bit of old boys' networking that goes on from time to time, but nothing like the consensual buggery that we've seen in GB throughout the whole of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

L1011 wrote: »
    I was looking at the CRO details for the Irish registered company mentioned - the UK ones are no longer allowed hold .eu domains hence the Irish one

Its UK directors are Martin Rowan and presumably the same Elizabeth Bliney.

Rowan is listed on Vision-net.ie's listing as company director with "one other" unnamed. Doesn't even give Rowan's first name, just "Mr. Rowan".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Enzokk wrote: »
    And so the mask slips,

Tory peer urges Boris Johnson to scrap EU worker and environmental protections now Brexit is done
    A Tory peer recently ennobled by Boris Johnson has urged the prime minister to remove EU consumer and worker protections now that Brexit has happened.

Daniel Hannan has said safeguards on the use of data, workers rights, GM foods, and environmental standards should be scrapped.

"Change is coming. To succeed outside the EU, we need to be fitter, leaner and more globally engaged," the former MEP said.

This comes after Johnson promised to start breaking free from EU rules, adding that Britons "have nothing to fear".

Under the trade agreement Johnson signed, Brussels has the power to inflict wide-ranging tariffs or other sanctions on the UK if it breaches the so-called "level playing field".
    Didn't the Belgian Prime Minister point out yonks ago dropping standards and workers rights was the only way the UK could compete with the EU. Well that and devaluing the pound.

Already today UK consultation launched over gene edited food this would represent a major divergence from EU food standards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭combat14

just seen - looks prices here will go up...

Debenhams to close online business in Ireland to avoid Brexit tariffs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/debenhams-close-online-business-ireland-23280670.amp

Under Brexit trade rules goods must “originate” in either the UK or the EU - under so-called “Rules of Origin” - in order to qualify for zero-tariffs.

For example, if Tesco imports a pair of pyjamas from China into the UK and then sends them to Ireland for sale in its 151 stores here, they could be hit by a 12% tariff.

At least fifty major UK retailers, including Marks and Spencer and Tesco, are in the process of going through their products lines, to establish how many of them will be now subject to tariffs from the EU.

Tariffs can be applied to food and e-commerce and well as clothing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

combat14 wrote: »
    just seen - looks prices here will go up...

Only for UK based retailers that cling to their old processes. Not going to affect anyone else.

Rowan is listed on Vision-net.ie's listing as company director with "one other" unnamed. Doesn't even give Rowan's first name, just "Mr. Rowan".

You can get the full information with a full visionnet, solocheck or CORE account; which is what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Daily Mail is reporting on companies giving up on trade with the EU due to the deal.

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1347259787252269057?s=20

If this turns out even worse for the UK then I think you may see them moving towards a BRINO sooner rather than later. It is all fun and games until people start losing money. Then it becomes serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Daily Mail is reporting on companies giving up on trade with the EU due to the deal.

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1347259787252269057?s=20

If this turns out even worse for the UK then I think you may see them moving towards a BRINO sooner rather than later. It is all fun and games until people start losing money. Then it becomes serious.

When The Daily Mail starts highlighting the negatives with Brexit then you know the wind is changing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think you got it backwards; it will be towards WTO terms instead as they "give their companies a chance to be more competitive with less regulation to hold them back".

Stena temporarily cutting sailings on both Welsh routes:

https://twitter.com/SiCarswell/status/1347259962825826305

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

To butcher a phrase from elsewhere "they can stay irrational, longer than you can stay solvent"

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If companies lose money the answer is to put more barriers up? Sure for the uneducated this may be the answer, but for how long will the political class be able to ignore the people who starts suffering due to their decisions?
    It's worked for the last 40+ years and the voters voted in people who'll punish them even more in the latest election; why change tactics now?

Nody wrote: »
    It's worked for the last 40+ years and the voters voted in people who'll punish them even more in the latest election; why change tactics now?

Who knows what will happen. You could be right that somehow moving away even further from the EU and adding more costs and barriers is the answer to extra costs and some barriers that Brexit created.

Who knows what will happen. You could be right that somehow moving away even further from the EU and adding more costs and barriers is the answer to extra costs and some barriers that Brexit created.
    I agree is utterly stupid and futile; but it will be phrased and placed as a way to make UK companies more competitive on the global market and allow UK strike out in a brave new world. I'm quite certain it will fail horribly and cost the UK economy even more but that's not the point; it's the freedom and dreams that make the senior brexiteers wet themselves at night over. Remember for them Brexit is not about reality but about their vision on how things should be with UK at the center of the world as in the "good old days".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Pro-Brexit campaign Leave.EU relocates to Waterford

Campaign migrates registered office for its website so it can retain .eu internet address

Horrible to see these people with a presence here, even if only as window dressing.
    There must be some kind of peaceful protest. Maybe some friendly local can install a doorbell that chimes Ode To Joy

Nody wrote: »
    I agree is utterly stupid and futile; but it will be phrased and placed as a way to make UK companies more competitive on the global market and allow UK strike out in a brave new world. I'm quite certain it will fail horribly and cost the UK economy even more but that's not the point; it's the freedom and dreams that make the senior brexiteers wet themselves at night over. Remember for them Brexit is not about reality but about their vision on how things should be with UK at the center of the world as in the "good old days".

I guess one of the reasons why Brexit was able to win was that it they simplified the message for people. So trying to tell someone why it is better to be in the EU when you are giving up some "sovereignty" will always be hard against, TAKE BACK CONTROL!

But the problem is very easy to explain now. Why aren't you exporting to the EU any longer? Brexit and extra cost. The solution from the Brexiters will be the complicated explanation. Try to explain why going WTO is simple and better in as few words as possible. Remember, Johnson sold his deal as being so good it will make trade even easier somehow.
    A comprehensive Canada style free trade deal between the UK and the EU, a deal that will protect jobs across this country.

A deal that will allow UK goods and components to be sold without tariffs and without quotas in the EU market.

A deal which will if anything should allow our companies and our exporters to do even more business with our European friends.

And yet which achieves something that the people of this country instinctively knew was doable.

But which they were told was impossible.

We have taken back control of laws and our destiny.

We have taken back control of every jot and tittle of our regulation.

In a way that is complete and unfettered.

Prime Minister's statement on EU negotiations: 24 December 2020

So how do you explain that WTO is even better now all of a sudden? And that is why I think it will be harder for the Brexiters to claim their same lies again when people are hurting even more and the answer is easy on why, Brexit and barriers to trade.

So that is why I cannot really get behind the UK public going for the same again, then again I also didn't think the US public will that stupid to vote for Trump in 2016 so what do I know.

But the problem is very easy to explain now. Why aren't you exporting to the EU any longer? Brexit and extra cost. The solution from the Brexiters will be the complicated explanation. Try to explain why going WTO is simple and better in as few words as possible. Remember, Johnson sold his deal as being so good it will make trade even easier somehow.
    EU are punishing UK companies and UK for daring to leave UK and hinder UK from go where it should be! To stop that UK will now remove more red tape to enable innovation for UK companies and help make food cheaper by removing quotas EU forced on us! UK will become world leader in innovation, AI, automatic driving cars and enable UK companies to do what they can't do currently!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Stena temporarily cutting sailings on both Welsh routes:

https://twitter.com/SiCarswell/status/1347259962825826305

Wonder if they'll have the cop on to redeploy these ships to Rosslare - France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Jizique

Isn’t right wing blogger Guido Faukes from Waterford (or Wexford)

Jizique wrote: »
    Isn’t right wing blogger Guido Faukes from Waterford (or Wexford)

I think he just moved there from England, but he does have Irish roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think he just moved there from England, but he does have Irish roots.

Paul Staines (AKA Guido Fawkes). Uses his Irish nationality and base to get out of hot water. In the Leveson Inquiry he said:
    “Something I think you might have overlooked,” he said, “is that I’m a citizen of a free republic and since 1922 I don’t have to pay attention to what a British judge orders my countrymen to do.”

His mother is from Finglas. RTE Documtary at One did a programme on him (Guido) which is very interesting.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2013/0125/647323-documentary-podcast-guido-fawkes-paul-staines-order-order/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement